Brown Belt Or Twilight Belt?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Monk » Brown belt or Twilight belt?
Brown belt or Twilight belt?
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
Serveur: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2011-05-08 12:01:52
Link | Citer | R

It's too bad the [-] feature was taken away or you'd see the apparant 1337 MNKs in this thread getting their minus on.

To put it blunt, don't let people tell you to stop leveling just because you don't have BB, as it is to get the items you have to camp an NM for 3hrs a day or spend 99 KS.

The update is unlikely to make it any easier as what is the incentive to them, or the King's minus D ring? If you get a BB then congrats on your achievement but it doesn't instantly give you the right to look down on MNKs without it.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-05-08 12:07:07
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Tidis said:
It's too bad the [-] feature was taken away or you'd see the apparant 1337 MNKs in this thread getting their minus on.

To put it blunt, don't let people tell you to stop leveling just because you don't have BB, as it is to get the items you have to camp an NM for 3hrs a day or spend 99 KS.

The update is unlikely to make it any easier as what is the incentive to them, or the King's minus D ring? If you get a BB then congrats on your achievement but it doesn't instantly give you the right to look down on MNKs without it.

ONOES the -, that would so teach those elitist mnks.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2011-05-08 12:10:37
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Cerberus.Tidis said:

What i'm saying is it shows opinion, if people don't care that their post is recieved negatively then sure it won't bother them but at least it gives people an idea before they read it that the opinion may be poorly recieved.
[+]
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2011-05-08 12:11:03
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Tidis said:

like a little pixel even mattered.

people who relied on that crap were just tools to a crap system.
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2011-05-08 12:16:15
Link | Citer | R

I tank everything in RSE lv 1 on MNK.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-05-08 12:17:55
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Tidis said:
Leviathan.Draylo said:
Cerberus.Tidis said:

What i'm saying is it shows opinion, if people don't care that their post is recieved negatively then sure it won't bother them but at least it gives people an idea before they read it that the opinion may be poorly recieved.

No, no it didn't. It shows people could have been tards an - anyone they didn't like, regardless of opinion. Bandwagon to try and get the score high or low etc. Was pointless. If you have an opinion then man up and post it.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-05-08 12:20:42
Link | Citer | R

All I know is that if my alt. character didnt have black belt when I got it, I'd never level it past 75.
But I guess that's just because I dont like feeling half-assed, and I'd never feel complete without black belt lol
[+]
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2011-05-08 12:28:41
Link | Citer | R

I dont get why its so bad to play a job you like, gear it the best you can, while working on getting the best gear for it.
[+]
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Serveur: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2011-05-08 12:29:36
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Blazer said:
Gilgamesh.Galmaximas said:
Leviathan.Draylo said:

sigh :/ the caliber of players these days.

My point exactly but your gonna be called a troll for saying this.

Really?

I tanked everything, everything, in abyssea just fine with my brown belt while I waited on that stupid turtle egg. You just need the right atmas and healers with the right atmas.
I don't see what bringing whm's in your argument proves, in or outside of abyssea. If the whm is a good whm they can keep any job alive with enough healing experience, DI when it was in its prime is a perfect example. If you had a good WHM you could live through anything unless it did enough dmg greater than your max HP which as a MNK should not be possible.

DI is a joke now so that is just an example. To say you can tank anything in abyssea with a healer isn't any more impressive than me saying I can catch 500k gil worth of fish. With the right fishing pole and location it is no different than the best healer in the game having unlimited MP to support you and keep you alive. The only factors that now matter are how much dmg can you put out which you then lack respectively.

You can still be a mnk without black belt, but to say you can do just as good as someone with it while your in abyssea is quite stupid. Everyone is good in abyssea as you can get by with the cheapest of all equips for your level and still kill the enemy.

The sad thing is you don't need a black belt or anything good in this game anymore to make the difference between winning and loosing. With the atma's that overpower us all and the fact that we're in abyssea 99% of the time only makes this fact more clear. So yes, you can be a fine mnk in abyssea with a brown belt or twilight belt (sadly). Black belt is no longer required to be the best mnk.

The only time it will make the difference is when we do something where we can't use atma's, or 50 temp items at your disposal like it was candy. Then you will notice the difference between a real mnk or an abyssea mnk.
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2011-05-08 12:44:00
Link | Citer | R

Well, Gentlemen, you do realize that the only thing Black Belt lets a Monk do these days is cap Haste without using the feet slot, so you get to have your extra kick attack damage. Monk can cap physical damage reduction without Black Belt, so that's a moot point. I wouldn't stress out a ton about that extra kick attack damage, but if I remember correctly, SE said they were going to release a better belt than Black Belt in the future. It stands to reason that you will need Black Belt to obtain it, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it will be worth it.
[+]
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2011-05-08 12:46:05
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Kimble said:
I dont get why its so bad to play a job you like, gear it the best you can, while working on getting the best gear for it.

People seem to automatically think gear pops into your inventory the second you hit a certain level, or expects you to devote your first born child to getting a .000000000000000000001% drop item.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Galmaximas
Serveur: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Galmaximas 2011-05-08 12:57:16
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Kalilla said:

I don't see what bringing whm's in your argument proves, in or outside of abyssea. If the whm is a good whm they can keep any job alive with enough healing experience, DI when it was in its prime is a perfect example. If you had a good WHM you could live through anything unless it did enough dmg greater than your max HP which as a MNK should not be possible.

DI is a joke now so that is just an example. To say you can tank anything in abyssea with a healer isn't any more impressive than me saying I can catch 500k gil worth of fish. With the right fishing pole and location it is no different than the best healer in the game having unlimited MP to support you and keep you alive. The only factors that now matter are how much dmg can you put out which you then lack respectively.

You can still be a mnk without black belt, but to say you can do just as good as someone with it while your in abyssea is quite stupid. Everyone is good in abyssea as you can get by with the cheapest of all equips for your level and still kill the enemy.

The sad thing is you don't need a black belt or anything good in this game anymore to make the difference between winning and loosing. With the atma's that overpower us all and the fact that we're in abyssea 99% of the time only makes this fact more clear. So yes, you can be a fine mnk in abyssea with a brown belt or twilight belt (sadly). Black belt is no longer required to be the best mnk.

The only time it will make the difference is when we do something where we can't use atma's, or 50 temp items at your disposal like it was candy. Then you will notice the difference between a real mnk or an abyssea mnk.

why can't everyone be as smart as this guy? read his post slowly can mnk be effective without a blackbelt? yes will it be as effective as a MNK with a blackbelt? no can a th4 thf still proc TH? will it be as effective as a TH6 THF? get the best gear possible for you slots it takes time yes but in the end it will be worth doing.
[+]
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2011-05-08 13:12:06
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Vyre said:
Well, Gentlemen, you do realize that the only thing Black Belt lets a Monk do these days is cap Haste without using the feet slot, so you get to have your extra kick attack damage. Monk can cap physical damage reduction without Black Belt, so that's a moot point. I wouldn't stress out a ton about that extra kick attack damage, but if I remember correctly, SE said they were going to release a better belt than Black Belt in the future. It stands to reason that you will need Black Belt to obtain it, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it will be worth it.

I'm curious where you're getting 50% PDT without picking gimp atma or using a Terra's Staff. Simply because if you can then I'm lacking.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-05-08 13:15:18
Link | Citer | R

can mnk be effective without a blackbelt? yes will it be as effective as a MNK with a blackbelt? no

Incorrect, a MNK without a Black Belt can be more effective than one with. As has been said, if you cap Haste(25~26%) in other places (read: lose 5% from the waist), then you're better off with Twilight.

However, if you don't cap Haste without Black Belt, then that is the superior option.

As Vyre said, the only thing Black Belt actually does is let you cap Haste without the use of Feet (I'll go with that, because I'm too lazy/don't really care enough to look it up yet), which makes sense. I'm guessing that takes a few MNK AF3+2 pieces, so decide whether or not the time/money taken getting a BB outweighs the time/money taken getting the other required pieces.
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2011-05-08 13:18:06
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Hitetsu said:
can mnk be effective without a blackbelt? yes will it be as effective as a MNK with a blackbelt? no

Incorrect, a MNK without a Black Belt can be more effective than one with. As has been said, if you cap Haste(25~26%) in other places (read: lose 5% from the waist), then you're better off with Twilight.

However, if you don't cap Haste without Black Belt, then that is the superior option.

As Vyre said, the only thing Black Belt actually does is let you cap Haste without the use of Feet (I'll go with that, because I'm too lazy/don't really care enough to look it up yet), which makes sense. I'm guessing that takes a few MNK AF3+2 pieces, so decide whether or not the time/money taken getting a BB outweighs the time/money taken getting the other required pieces.

So because it takes less time/money, it's less gimp?
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-05-08 13:18:58
Link | Citer | R

I'm confused, how did you come to that confusion from my post?
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2011-05-08 13:22:06
Link | Citer | R

Ah I read over the last part quickly and misinterpreted. But I fail to see how you can't attain all of it. Getting BB Items is retardedly easy, just a small timesink.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-05-08 13:27:08
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Hitetsu said:

No, this is actually incorrect you retard.
[+]
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-05-08 13:29:00
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Systematicchaos said:
Ah I read over the last part quickly and misinterpreted. But I fail to see how you can't attain all of it. Getting BB Items is retardedly easy, just a small timesink.

I won't argue otherwise (personally I'd find it easier getting a BB than 3+ AF+2 items), my point was more that in some situations (as had already been addressed) Twilight was the better option to Black Belt.

For me, it'd be Black Belt and cap like that, I'm not too bothered about losing 2% Double Attack and having more Kick damage or whatever - but I'm no MNK, so "real" MNK's are probably more likely to want Double Attack over Kick Attacks damage (and rightly so to be fair!), as long as they aren't gimping themselves down horribly to get it (I assume they don't, while I've seen some pretty "pro-Twilight if you can" posts from other MNKs)

EDIT: Please explain how 26% Haste is better than 26% Haste + 2% Double Attack Draylo.
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2011-05-08 13:30:16
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Sylph.Hitetsu said:

No, this is actually incorrect you retard.

Naked Monk with Black Belt Vs Geared Monk
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2011-05-08 13:31:57
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Hitetsu said:

I won't argue otherwise (personally I'd find it easier getting a BB than 3+ AF+2 items), my point was more that in some situations (as had already been addressed) Twilight was the better option to Black Belt.

For me, it'd be Black Belt and cap like that, I'm not too bothered about losing 2% Double Attack and having more Kick damage or whatever - but I'm no MNK, so "real" MNK's are probably more likely to want Double Attack over Kick Attacks damage (and rightly so to be fair!), as long as they aren't gimping themselves down horribly to get it (I assume they don't, while I've seen some pretty "pro-Twilight if you can" posts from other MNKs)

EDIT: Please explain how 26% Haste is better than 26% Haste + 2% Double Attack Draylo.

You're forgetting the stats on the other gear you have to gimp to get 26% Haste and 2% DA. In all cases a Black Belt Monk will be more effective because of this assuming they aren't dumb as ***.
 Ramuh.Mizuharu
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Mizuharu
By Ramuh.Mizuharu 2011-05-08 13:32:03
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Draylo said:
Black belt

what he said if your 70+ on MNK and not using a blackbelt something is wrong.

No, he's saying that if you're a 90 MNK using Twilight Belt, you obviously abyssea burned it.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-05-08 13:33:13
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Hitetsu said:

Because you can't cap haste w/o losing set bonus on af3+2 and gimping the ***out of your kick attacks.

Edit:
You also forget the part where the 2% DA is devalued as fk from not only TA (18% w/ epona's and atma of apoc, and TA has priority over DA, so that's 18% of the time you won't even have an opportunity to DA), but also by your other DA gear.
 Siren.Clinpachi
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2011-05-08 13:35:40
Link | Citer | R

For TP aim for this no matter what:

For Victory Smite WS aim for this alternatively:

Contemplating brown vs twilight is honestly a waste of time when you should be focusing on steps needed to get to the best current gear.

I would pick up a kirin's osode while they are still cheap as well... still good for macro JAs for monk and can augment them soon with synergy and who knows how that will work out.

In you still wanted to argue which two inferior pieces of MNK gear were actually better.... Twilight if haste is capped, Brownbelt if haste isn't capped. Essentially if haste is capped you are only getting STR+5 vs DA+2%. Inside of abyssea though atmas should be giving you all the DA you'll ever need + epona ring procs so the attack might be better depending.

It's really not worth discussing sadly which is why you got all the trolls feeding on your post.

Hope that helps.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-05-08 13:36:31
Link | Citer | R

Thew > Tantra in most situations for TP
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Galmaximas
Serveur: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Galmaximas 2011-05-08 13:38:31
Link | Citer | R

the cap is 26% (25.5%)haste with blackbelt being 12% that puts you damn near half way to cap so why not get it?WTF is going on in ffxi is it me or is getting blackbelt a no brainer for a MNK?
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2011-05-08 13:38:33
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Forgot to mention Tantra outside of abyssea and thew inside of it for TP. Nice catch.
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2011-05-08 13:39:00
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Clinpachi said:
For TP aim for this no matter what:

For Victory Smite WS aim for this alternatively:

Contemplating brown vs twilight is honestly a waste of time when you should be focusing on steps needed to get to the best current gear.

I would pick up a kirin's osode while they are still cheap as well... still good for macro JAs for monk and can augment them soon with synergy and who knows how that will work out.

In you still wanted to argue which two inferior pieces of MNK gear were actually better.... Twilight if haste is capped, Brownbelt if haste isn't capped. Essentially if haste is capped you are only getting STR+5 vs DA+2%. Inside of abyssea though atmas should be giving you all the DA you'll ever need + epona ring procs so the attack might be better depending.

It's really not worth discussing sadly which is why you got all the trolls feeding on your post.

Hope that helps.

Tantra Talthum I'm assuming is if you're fighting something that requires accuracy? I've actually been using Thew Bomblet TP and Tantra for WS due to the 60% STR Mod on VS.

Edit: Half Addressed in above posts, now just the question on weaponskilling.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-05-08 13:39:51
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Clinpachi said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Forgot to mention Tantra outside of abyssea and thew inside of it for TP. Nice catch.
Thew is better outside of abyssea, too, again, currently. Anything worth fighting was designed for lv 75. You won't need accuracy on pretty much anything, except maybe Byakko, but I'd even doubt that.
[+]
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2011-05-08 13:40:19
Link | Citer | R

Yeah tiger caught me above situational of course for that depending. Tantra is harder to get than thew anyways lol.