First Page 2 3 4 5
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Serveur: Pandemonium
Game: FFXI
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-01-31 08:24:02
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
us MNKs needed PLDs the same way PLDs needed MNKs. PLDs held the hate while we beat the holyfuckingknobgobbling ***out of the mobs. Sure, since Abyssea came out the needs for PLD plummeted while for MNK sky-rocketed. But in the end, we will always remember PLD as the undisputed tank job of Vana'Diel.

so what you're saying is, you brought plds to salvage
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2011-01-31 08:25:20
Link | Citer | R

Pandemonium.Ironguy said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:
us MNKs needed PLDs the same way PLDs needed MNKs. PLDs held the hate while we beat the holyfuckingknobgobbling ***out of the mobs. Sure, since Abyssea came out the needs for PLD plummeted while for MNK sky-rocketed. But in the end, we will always remember PLD as the undisputed tank job of Vana'Diel.

so what you're saying is, you brought plds to salvage
no, I solo'ed as lolPUP, no PLD required ;)
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
Serveur: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-01-31 08:25:40
Link | Citer | R

uh ok
[+]
 Ramuh.Zangada
Serveur: Ramuh
user: zangada
By Ramuh.Zangada 2011-01-31 08:35:10
Link | Citer | R

This has been going on since the begining of the game, there's always been some point when a certian job is useless or not wanted and when is it going to be updated.

Not all jobs are going to be perfect all the time in some harmonious union, so just like everything esle SE dose wait and see.

Also a job is only as useless as u want it to be.
[+]
By Yummee 2011-01-31 08:42:48
Link | Citer | R

Pld has been king of the tanking hill for so long in this game, they just can't stand not being the center of the FFXI universe any longer.(Hence the constant whining from most pld's) The solution they offer to fix pld? Destroy another jobs core identity! Stop blink tanking, it's a threat to pld dominance, control, and ego. Nin has been laughed at and ridiculed in most linkshells for the last 3-4 years, and now it was finally given a decent purpose again in abyssea. No, Abyssea is not a HNM area, but if you were a decent pld like the one from our shell, you would learn how to properly tank in abyssea. The game evolves, so should you. Here's a kleenex....
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2011-01-31 08:54:02
Link | Citer | R

Killing blink tanking would bring back paladin? I go into abyssea MNK/WAR, so I don't even...
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
Serveur: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-01-31 08:55:35
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Andromida said:
Cerberus.Blazed said:
As it stands, the job has absolutely no use and adds absolutely no benefit to a small, medium or large group.

Bollocks.

My abyssea linkshell is one of the most successful abyssea linkshells on our server and we always use a PLD tank before anything else. If it was not for our PLD tank (they don't take to much damage, can hold hate well enough, don't do to much damage, can find all red/blue/yellow weaknesses) we would not be able to keep the NMs alive long enough to proc all the weaknesses we need.

Unlike MNKs and NINs which take a lot of damage and deal a lot of damage, which they need to do to hold hate, we would need far more WHMs to be able to cope with this which means that we have fewer people to try getting procs and kill it quickly when everything has been proc'd.

I do however agree that PLD does need something extra to make it easier for them to maintain hate. With the hate cap being really low (compared to the damage) that DDs can do now it is stupid. PLD could do with an native ability like provoke and some way of getting a higher hate cap (job trait maybe?)
Get people who are better at proccing. Worst case scenario is I don't ws for a little bit, still much better than PLD. Also lol at far more whms. Should only need 1, 2 tops if your group sucks
[+]
By Sevourn 2011-01-31 08:57:51
Link | Citer | R

i'm not sure what being a successful abyssea ls really implies or is supposed to prove

as success essentially = showing up

are you saying you spend the most time there?
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-01-31 09:02:28
Link | Citer | R

Lol and pld is even worse lightning's day through dark's day, which puts you at 3/8th (37.5%) chance of any time you take a pld to tank of him having a chance at being *** over on any given NM(Provided you want drops)
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2011-01-31 09:07:27
Link | Citer | R

lolFlash
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Elysien
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: eLySiuM
By Quetzalcoatl.Elysien 2011-01-31 09:12:08
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Andromida said:

Unlike MNKs and NINs which take a lot of damage and deal a lot of damage, which they need to do to hold hate, we would need far more WHMs to be able to cope with this which means that we have fewer people to try getting procs and kill it quickly when everything has been proc'd.

This is one of the most HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE comments I've read about mnk or nin. If I want, I don't have to get hit at all while tanking on mnk. I don't even use counterstance. I suggest you get some better players.

As for the whole mnk vs pld, pld is only relevant now if you can't deal direct dmg to something, which is 1% of the time. Only thing that'd come close is an almace pld, and I'd still prefer a regular mnk over that due to the superior dmg/counter/evasion/higher hp/subtle blow. This is coming from someone who has whm/pld/mnk 90.
[+]
By Sevourn 2011-01-31 09:14:18
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Lol and pld is even worse lightning's day through dark's day, which puts you at 3/8th (37.5%) chance of any time you take a pld to tank of him having a chance at being *** over on any given NM(Provided you want drops)

nuh uh my ls used pld in the course of beating mind numbingly easy content so clearly pld is great

also because *** you and um stop trolling
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-01-31 09:21:05
Link | Citer | R

k bro
 Fenrir.Terminus
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Terminus
By Fenrir.Terminus 2011-01-31 09:24:29
Link | Citer | R

I wonder what corsairs, dancers, dark knights, bsts, dragoons, and pups think about all this? Oh yeah, that's right: They play the job they really like when they can, and play another one when necessary. Weird.
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2011-01-31 09:25:11
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Terminus said:
I wonder what corsairs, dancers, dark knights, bsts, dragoons, and pups think about all this? Oh yeah, that's right: They play the job they really like when they can, and play another one when necessary. Weird.
I'm just chillin wit Drille out in Cape Terrigan.
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
user: volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2011-01-31 09:29:41
Link | Citer | R

why don't the plds level greatsword and DD ?
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2011-01-31 09:35:05
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Volkom said:
It'd prolly take them less time to lv a DD than lv'ing GSD, lol.
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2011-01-31 09:36:05
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Quetzalcoatl.Volkom said:
It'd prolly take them less time to lv a DD than lv'ing GSD, lol.
thats true lol xD
 Unicorn.Crysten
Serveur: Unicorn
user: Crysten
By Unicorn.Crysten 2011-01-31 09:38:23
Link | Citer | R

I think the major problem with a lot of people is a refusal to evolve. PLD in particular is a huge example of this.

PLD was my main job for years and it's now all but retired, simply because I just don't have the means to keep up with jobs that can deal damage and tank far more efficiently than I can, especially in Abyssea.

There is simply one way a PLD can keep up with NIN and MNK in Abyssea, and that's through damage dealt. I would bet good money that the majority of PLDs crying foul over the recent decline are the ones that still melee in full PDT/HP gear, VIT Shamshir +2s and keep trying to spam Atonement.

PLD doesn't need any PDT gear, it doesn't need any more oshit buttons. It just needs a way to keep up with DoT. Chant du Cygne helps with this, hell, even a simple DD set and a good Vorpal Blade macro helps. The sad fact is though, a well geared Jin NIN or Ascetics MNK is still going to outclass a PLD 9 times out of 10.

There's no question a good PLD can still tank fairly well in lowman situations, but as has been mentioned enough in this thread already, why take a PLD to a fight when my MNK friend is going to deal damage and hold hate better than I can, with the added bonus of Counter and Subtle Blow?

Who knows, if content moves outside of Abyssea this year, PLD may get their chance to shine again. Until then, PLD really has little place in Abyssea.

TLDR - Adapt your playstyle. If that doesn't work, level MNK.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-01-31 09:45:28
Link | Citer | R

Isn't Almace good? Why don't more people go after that? The fact it isn't a one job weapon makes it even better. Or ***even Caladbolg. I'm just saying.
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2011-01-31 09:49:04
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Skarwind said:
Isn't Almace good? Why don't more people go after that? The fact it isn't a one job weapon makes it even better. Or ***even Caladbolg. I'm just saying.
once i finish my caladbolg, i'm totally making a DD pld.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-01-31 10:06:36
Link | Citer | R

The butthurt is strong with this thread.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Serveur: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-01-31 11:08:13
Link | Citer | R

SE listened thoughtfully to your complaints and then they stopped by Shiva and watched Terraflarex bring an old school style asswhuppin to everything in Aby including the zone boss as pld, special delivery.

It was then they decided pld was already seven kinds of awesome too many with whipped topping and a cherry. If you want sprinkles, you'll have to wait, or swallow your pride and ask him what atmas he uses on his tcob pld. Because it's like pew~pew sparkle~sparkle and everything dies.

/asskiss OFF
 Lakshmi.Andromida
user: Andromida
By Lakshmi.Andromida 2011-01-31 11:16:02
Link | Citer | R

Sevourn said:
i'm not sure what being a successful abyssea ls really implies or is supposed to prove

as success essentially = showing up

are you saying you spend the most time there?

Our LS had some of the first 11 characters on my server to have access to Shinryu BCNM, only a small group of JPs beet us by a few hours within 1 week of the last expansion coming out.

Regularly beating the ***out of any story boss, zone boss, chess piece or any other NM in any zone for the lolz (not the shitty crap that any retard can solo) not everything in abyssea is a joke you know.

Our linkshell only formed about 4-5 months ago from a social linkshell. Even some of the old school HNM LSs have been asking us for strats on how to kill mobs.
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-01-31 11:16:58
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said:

Not really.

Anyways, the thing that makes Paladin less useful these days is that it lacks versatility, compared to other jobs.
Atma effects and WHM's Cure VI have enabled classes that traditionally were ghetto tanks (WAR, MNK) to be effective tanks. And the advent of Razed Ruin combined with critical hit WS's makes WAR or MNK a far better choice for almost any Abyssea-based task, compared to PLD.

It's true that PLD is probably getting the shaft in recent version updates. BLU got new spells, both for damage and healing, plus it has spells to trigger yellow !! weaknesses. BLM got new spells, added two incredibly useful JA's (Mana Wall and Enmity Douse), and got many of the !! weakness spells, too.

So, while many jobs gained versatility, others did not. And since most endgame FFXI content has steered away from needing full alliances to accomplish anything, players have placed a premium on versatility. So, it's not that PLD is a bad job, at all. It's just that other jobs are more versatile and more useful in situations where players want to minimize adding more people to the party.

Furthermore, S-E has given SO many NM's hate reset TP moves now. A lot of the advantages of using Paladin in the past were because Paladin could accumulate CE really well (in addition to the VE JA's). With NM's spamming hate resets, it's basically a PLD nerf.

There are still ways to use Paladin, they've just lost popularity. It's useful to have a Paladin in kiting strategies, since a Flash and Cure IV can be used from range. Nothing's changed about that in years. However, since BLM can access Refresh/Convert/Mana Wall/Enmity Douse nowadays, there's hardly ever a need to /kneel for MP recovery. So, unfortunately, it's probably better to just have another BLM instead of adding PLD.

Another old-school PLD use that could still be used, if people wanted to use it, is SATA tanking. However, it's easy to make the argument that it's better to just use the THF as the tank, rather than putting the PLD in front of the THF. Honestly, a lot of THF's I see these days have either forgotten how to use SATA, or they never learned in the first place.

There's definitely things that could be done to breathe life back into PLD.
Adding Cure V would be a big step. Adding Divine Seal would help. Lowering the recast timer of Invincible would work. Adding a spell (similar to Addle) that temporarily decreases the effectiveness of NM hate-reset moves would be helpful. Or, give PLD a passive trait that makes them immune to hate resets. Could also consider adding Provoke and/or Collaborator as an innate JA for PLD.

This would be a bit more radical, but introducing a new class of Sword is an avenue that could make PLD relevant again. Ideally, the new Sword type would allow PLD to use heavier WeaponSkills while still being able to use a Shield.
[+]
 Ramuh.Lilsanchez
By Ramuh.Lilsanchez 2011-01-31 11:17:50
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Cerberus.Tidis said:
Odin.Ladyrikku said:
I've seen a DNC/WAR tank better than a PLD sadly..... And PLD still stuck with only Cure IV....
Any cure higher than IV would be meaningless as they offer little enmity gain. PLD needs a huge overhaul and how SE hasn't realised it by now is shocking, perhaps give PLD better evasion, not to the standard of NIN, THF or DNC but maybe to C+, we'll avoid a few more hits and obviously an evaded hit means you've lost no enmity, doubt it though. Other possibilities could include giving PLD an enmity cap higher than other jobs so if you maintain capped enmity you can't actually lose hate, admittedly though you could argue that's a bit broken. Mentioning CDC is laughable as well, yes Empyrean's are far easier to get than relics but they're still a challenge and CDC is not going to be just a common thing for PLD to have.
implying walk of echoes is hard
Odin.Ladyrikku said:
What I see nowadays in abyssea is the shift away from "HNM" fights that take like 30mins-1hr like Tiamat / Nidhogg / Lambton Worm to kill and fast "Melee Zerg" kills like abyssea NMs that take around 5mins. With all the Atma and DD output , a PLD will lose out in enmity, not to mention every NM thingy hits like a loaded truck even fully buffed with alot of them having some form of hate resetmove incuded. PS: When was the last time you saw someone actually try to make a SC/MB combo in abyssea........ or DD/THF actually Trickattacking WS to the tanks for that matter....
enmity caps, so pld wont "lose out in" enmity, and additionally they now have gear that reduces enmity lost when you take dmg. as for the thf statement: th has better proc rates on SA and TA, so why the *** wouldnt a thf TA the tank? with proper atma, even a woe sword to get access to swan song, a shield like sipar if you dont have the access to an aegis or ochain, geared as a DD with twilight neck, good dark rings, and +2 legs, there is no *** reason why pld is a terribad tank in this day and age.

someone has a hard on for PLDs

I agree though. PLD still does have its place and can still tank pretty well if played right. MDB sets, PDT sets, HP sets, Enmity sets. They don't do the most amazing damage but they sure as hell can still take a hit and minimize most magical damage.

(my PLD personally is retired, lol)
[+]
By moveZig1 2011-01-31 11:39:08
Link | Citer | R

I'm so sick of the complaining about PLD. Yes PLD was the high and mighty back in the day. I'm sure it really hurts going from being the most popular kid in school to being just one of the crowd. Deal with it.

PLD still gets more new gear every update than any other job.

PLD is doubly now, the only real tank option outside of abyssea.

Every other job has gone through a cycle of being useful then useless then maybe useful again (exception: ranger who just got left at useless).

Really PLDs you're just coming off as selfish spoiled children. Get over it and play something else in abyssea.
 Ramuh.Laffter
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2011-01-31 11:39:59
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:

Not really.

Anyways, the thing that makes Paladin less useful these days is that it lacks versatility, compared to other jobs.
Atma effects and WHM's Cure VI have enabled classes that traditionally were ghetto tanks (WAR, MNK) to be effective tanks. And the advent of Razed Ruin combined with critical hit WS's makes WAR or MNK a far better choice for almost any Abyssea-based task, compared to PLD.

It's true that PLD is probably getting the shaft in recent version updates. BLU got new spells, both for damage and healing, plus it has spells to trigger yellow !! weaknesses. BLM got new spells, added two incredibly useful JA's (Mana Wall and Enmity Douse), and got many of the !! weakness spells, too.

So, while many jobs gained versatility, others did not. And since most endgame FFXI content has steered away from needing full alliances to accomplish anything, players have placed a premium on versatility. So, it's not that PLD is a bad job, at all. It's just that other jobs are more versatile and more useful in situations where players want to minimize adding more people to the party.

Furthermore, S-E has given SO many NM's hate reset TP moves now. A lot of the advantages of using Paladin in the past were because Paladin could accumulate CE really well (in addition to the VE JA's). With NM's spamming hate resets, it's basically a PLD nerf.

There are still ways to use Paladin, they've just lost popularity. It's useful to have a Paladin in kiting strategies, since a Flash and Cure IV can be used from range. Nothing's changed about that in years. However, since BLM can access Refresh/Convert/Mana Wall/Enmity Douse nowadays, there's hardly ever a need to /kneel for MP recovery. So, unfortunately, it's probably better to just have another BLM instead of adding PLD.

Another old-school PLD use that could still be used, if people wanted to use it, is SATA tanking. However, it's easy to make the argument that it's better to just use the THF as the tank, rather than putting the PLD in front of the THF. Honestly, a lot of THF's I see these days have either forgotten how to use SATA, or they never learned in the first place.

There's definitely things that could be done to breathe life back into PLD.
Adding Cure V would be a big step. Adding Divine Seal would help. Lowering the recast timer of Invincible would work. Adding a spell (similar to Addle) that temporarily decreases the effectiveness of NM hate-reset moves would be helpful. Or, give PLD a passive trait that makes them immune to hate resets. Could also consider adding Provoke and/or Collaborator as an innate JA for PLD.

This would be a bit more radical, but introducing a new class of Sword is an avenue that could make PLD relevant again. Ideally, the new Sword type would allow PLD to use heavier WeaponSkills while still being able to use a Shield.
It's a 2-hour. There's no lowering the recast of those, ever.
 Asura.Obliske
Serveur: Asura
user: obliske
By Asura.Obliske 2011-01-31 11:41:33
Link | Citer | R

SE cant make every job balanced.Thats like making every character in a fighting game fair.PLD will have its uses tho,just not as much as before
[+]
 Phoenix.Dramatica
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2011-01-31 11:48:26
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Emanuelle said:
Phoenix.Dramatica said:
Only proper solution is to delete PLD from the game.
lol i used to say the same with another job but i dont remember
Assuming you mean ninja, but ninja was even more useful as a weak DD than PLD was as a tank. out