RMT /tells in game
First Page 2
 Leviathan.Crosis
Serveur: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: CrosisX
By Leviathan.Crosis 2009-03-02 18:45:03
Link | Citer | R

This may make me sound a little bit slow but has anyone else noticed that the normal site that is advertised to you in game is the same exact site in most of the gil buying ads on this site. Possible connection anyone?
 Ramuh.Konoko
Serveur: Ramuh
user: lnick
By Ramuh.Konoko 2009-03-02 19:03:07
Link | Citer | R

Yes.
 Fairy.Lethewaters
Serveur: Fairy
By Fairy.Lethewaters 2009-03-02 19:19:36
Link | Citer | R

Nope. My friend recieves the /tells IG and doesn't have an account on here. I do have an AH account and I've recieved very little RMT /tells
 Fairy.Spiriel
user: Spiriel
By Fairy.Spiriel 2009-03-02 20:32:55
Link | Citer | R

It's alphabetical, I think. I never get them, yet friends in my LS with names starting with A, B, E, F... they're getting them frequently. Probably a /sea all aa, /sea all ab, /sea all ac...
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2009-03-02 21:33:05
Link | Citer | R

Well idk but SE is gonan clamp down on them. I just hope that ffxiah doesn't have to find new advertisers b/c of this...

eeeeeeekkkkk
 Sylph.Uchisokonau
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Uchisokonau 2009-03-02 21:46:02
Link | Citer | R

From what me and friends notice. the /tells are normally addressed to players who "stand out" in /sea all and is received in alphabetical order.

I.E. if your say seeking party or maybe you have the mentor app on you and your name is "b...", you will get the /tell (and not always from the same person as say the "F" char got), but a regular person with no icons next to their name in /sea won't get them.
 Kujata.Hrolandus
Serveur: Kujata
user: Hrolandus
By Kujata.Hrolandus 2009-03-02 22:08:50
Link | Citer | R

I usually have found they drop on whole pts of people gathered in a zone, for example one player in the pt will say, "I got one of those tells," a minute later I'd get one, then another pt member. This tells me the rmt scum is basically doing a /sea of an area and just hitting one after another in the zone. Interestingly, my most recent encounter found them tagging a "M" name, then a "H" name, then a "J," so I don't think its necessarily alphabetical. A guy in my LS reported moments later that he and his group in Qufim, far from where we were, began to get them from the same player. That is until the GM responded, took my report, and presumably banned this (in all likelihood free trial) player.
 Fenrir.Shindo
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Shindo
By Fenrir.Shindo 2009-03-02 22:22:14
Link | Citer | R

I haven't gotten any /tells yet, but I was getting a few on POL mail for a while. Since the implementation of the new RMT detection system (which I have lovingly nicknamed SKYNET) RMT are getting more and more desperate. I would imagine server DDOS are coming soon.
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-02 22:56:01
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, it's definitely alphabetical. A couple friends of mine whose name start with AL and AM get tells every couple days, always within a few seconds of each other. I, however, NEVER get them, cause I'm sure they get reported before they can get that far.

So, thank you people whose name starts with A through W, for keeping me RMT free! ^^
 Siren.Vise
Serveur: Siren
user: Vise
By Siren.Vise 2009-03-03 00:09:19
Link | Citer | R

I'm not sure if its alphabetical.

Unless of course the people spamming the messages are working assigned /sea all

Reason I say this is that I have got a couple and literally a second later I get a /tell from my friend whos name starts Fl, saying he got one.

That being said I don't get the tells as much as some people.

either way it pisses me off all the same
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-03-03 00:19:16
Link | Citer | R

The interplayer /tell interface in FFXI is open to the world. By sending a correctly formatted packet to the right place on a server, you can issue a tell without having to type it yourself, or in some cases, without even being logged in.

Ever since SE opened the "free account" system, all an RMT has to do is register for a free account, and starting using its credentials to fire /tells off to people on a completely automated system. They don't even need to have the game running.

They can also get player lists in the same manner. This way, an offline bot can both query player lists of logged-in people, AND send a /tell for them, without requiring anyone to even sit there, log in, and do it manually. In these systems, they usually take the first X players the search turns up: if it's a crowded zone, that will probably be a subset of players that come first in alphabetical order. If it's a small zone without many people in it, the entire zone may get spammed.

While underhanded and incredibly annoying, it's a sign of simply how desperate RMT have gotten in FFXI. I can't imagine these tells generate very much business for them.
 Shiva.Evilthorn
Serveur: Shiva
user: Evilthorn
By Shiva.Evilthorn 2009-03-03 00:24:10
Link | Citer | R

Vise said:
I'm not sure if its alphabetical.

Unless of course the people spamming the messages are working assigned /sea all

Reason I say this is that I have got a couple and literally a second later I get a /tell from my friend whos name starts Fl, saying he got one.

That being said I don't get the tells as much as some people.

either way it pisses me off all the same

its entirely alphabetical. people i game with all get tells in the order of which our names fall in the alphabet. Friends starting with "A" go "Hey, i just got a tell from an rmt for gil", then it reaches me with the "E" letter and like 50 minutes letter it reaches the guys with the "Z" letters and i laugh and i'm like haha about time it got to u:P
 Odin.Blazza
Serveur: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-03-03 00:58:01
Link | Citer | R

I haven't heard of anyone getting these on Odin for a while now, I guess it's because no character can be created on or moved to Odin (We're full up). Each time an RMT is banned from Odin it just can't be replaced I guess.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-03 01:20:09
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

The way I see it. When something is crying out in pain and agony, usually the last moments before death are the most loud, obnoxious and irritating. I feel this is true as well for RMT.
 Unicorn.Ameilie
Serveur: Unicorn
user: ameilie
By Unicorn.Ameilie 2009-03-07 13:13:45
Link | Citer | R

I get these tells usually once or twice a day, i usually blacklist them as long as i'm at my computer at the time. It probably does no good, but it makes me feel better.
 Garuda.Maasahn
Serveur: Garuda
user: maasahn
By Garuda.Maasahn 2009-03-07 13:49:40
Link | Citer | R

i randomly get these /tell's once twice a week or so, i then attempt to offer them some cyber services over and over again to see if they will give me gil for free, worked once, a long time ago...
 Caitsith.Surreal
user: Surreal
By Caitsith.Surreal 2009-03-07 13:51:29
Link | Citer | R

Maasahn said:
i randomly get these /tell's once twice a week or so, i then attempt to offer them some cyber services over and over again to see if they will give me gil for free, worked once, a long time ago...

Lmao! XD
 Unicorn.Emirii
user: Emerii1
By Unicorn.Emirii 2009-03-07 13:54:25
Link | Citer | R

Maasahn said:

I used to do this at Ullikumi a long time ago when it was infested by RMT! I would destract them long enough for my linkshell to get claim... hehe Course, by mean offer services I mean making my poor Mithra wear skimpy clothing and dance around them constantly.

But yes, my name starts with an E so I get very many of these RMT /tells! ><
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-07 13:55:22
Link | Citer | R

Ameilie said:
I get these tells usually once or twice a day, i usually blacklist them as long as i'm at my computer at the time. It probably does no good, but it makes me feel better.

Ya, my friends don't bother /blist, figuring the account's gonna be banned within the day, if not a matter of hours.

I got my first one on a mule the other day in Lower Jeuno, mules name starts with T, so either they got hella far down the list, or I looked poor...I did my duty and made a GM call.

Out of curiosity, do the GMs actually give anyone any sort of real response to these reports? I just got the "Your concerns are important to us" form letter in my mail box, and was wondering if anyone ever got something personal back in regards to this. No reason really, just wondering; I've never had to deal with a GM myself ^^
 Unicorn.Emirii
user: Emerii1
By Unicorn.Emirii 2009-03-07 13:57:59
Link | Citer | R

Well i'd think every couple 5 people send a GM tell when they get these, So I'm sure GMs don't bother responding to the 50 or so GM calls pertaining to the same issue, and send an automated e-mail instead.
 Caitsith.Surreal
user: Surreal
By Caitsith.Surreal 2009-03-07 13:58:24
Link | Citer | R

I've been getting spammed by the same ones over and over again, Finally blisted them because giving them fake web addresses was killing my fun.
 Lakshmi.Premium
Serveur: Lakshmi
user:
By Lakshmi.Premium 2009-03-07 14:04:33

i dont gm it, its not like they dont know it's happening lol.
 Ramuh.Puredarkness
By Ramuh.Puredarkness 2009-03-07 14:34:34
Link | Citer | R

They tend to search for people in dynamis as well, its happened 2-3 times in my ls that everyone had gotten a RMT tell.. and it seemed to be going down the list. I love how they always end the /tell with a special coupon "Just for you! Go now!" lol
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-03-07 15:48:04
Link | Citer | R

What they told me it was just for me...? Those two timing ***

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-03-07 16:04:08

My favorite was one that literally said "Fist come, fist serve". Those RMT are pretty kinky O.o

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Serveur: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-07 16:10:14
Link | Citer | R

Bartimaeus said:
I still haven't been breezed. >(

*blows on Bartimaeus*

Would be an entirely different response if you were Mithra =D

Post deleted by User.
 Unicorn.Tavlov
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-03-07 16:22:22
Link | Citer | R

Ameilie said:

It sadly does nothing, b/c its a free account and theres nothing to ban. Free trial will be over by the time they figure it out. I get these periodically, twice the other day, been last year since last time tho. I agree with barti's point, its a good sign, if they are getting this desperate. I also think its a sign that gil buying may be prevalent on your server. X number of people on {server} are buying gil, lets spam a bunch of people there. I personally just send these people very obscene replies. ^^
First Page 2