Good Wii RPGs?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Good Wii RPGs?
Good Wii RPGs?
First Page 2
 Titan.Wombat
Serveur: Titan
Game: FFXI
user: Wombat
By Titan.Wombat 2011-01-14 08:55:59
Link | Citer | R

Recently, my 360 fried out (surprise!), so my wife and I discussed replacing it with another system. The conversation went something like this:

Me: I'd like to get a PS3 for these reasons...
Wife: Wii
Me: Wii might be fun. But I think PS3 would be a better choice because...
Me: ...

So, now I've got a Wii and I'm trying to figure out if there are any decent RPGs for it. I'm particularly interested in whether or not the FF Crystal Chronicles series is any good.

Any advice? Games outside of Crystal Chronicles that are worth looking into?

Note: Zelda is a given; and when I say RPGs I'm including Strategy games in that. =D

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2011-01-14 08:58:50
Link | Citer | R

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn is a good strategy game. I can't think of any more atm. I haven't played my wii in a long time lol.
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-01-14 09:01:53
Link | Citer | R

Titan.Wombat said:
Recently, my 360 fried out (surprise!), so my wife and I discussed replacing it with another system. The conversation went something like this:

So, now I've got a Wii and I'm trying to figure out if there are any decent RPGs for it. I'm particularly interested in whether or not the FF Crystal Chronicles series is any good.

Note: Zelda is a given; and when I say RPGs I'm including Strategy games in that. =D

Haha!
I wish I could say that there are any quality RPG's for Wii.

I looked into about 6 months ago, and basically came up empty.

The vast majority of Wii games are family/party games (everything from Jeopardy! to beer pong), sports games, kids games, and "action" games (shooters, Mario games).

I think the Metroid Trilogy pack is one of the best on Wii, but that isn't really a true RPG.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-01-14 09:03:50
Link | Citer | R

Well, how about Gamecube games? The Wii is backward compatible after all.

As for the Wii itself... and games I've played

Okami is fun, if you like Zelda.

Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the new world

Super Paper Mario

Games I haven't played:

Eldar Saga

Rune factory: Frontier

Monster hunter Tri

Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins Of The Moon

Muramasa: The Demon Blade

Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2011-01-14 09:05:05
Link | Citer | R

Oh how could I forget Samurai Warriors 3? It's more action/carnage, but you level up and get weapons and armor too. Plus it has Japanese history in it!
 Diabolos.Mmbacon
Serveur: Diabolos
user: Mmbacon
By Diabolos.Mmbacon 2011-01-14 09:05:32
Link | Citer | R

I played the dragon quest game for the wii (I believe it was called dragon quest swords?). Anyways, I actually liked it pretty well.
[+]
 Titan.Wombat
By Titan.Wombat 2011-01-14 09:14:48
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Flionheart said:

I've heard Super Paper Mario is comparable to Mario RPG (Seven Stars on SNES), would you say that's a fair comparison?

Is there any way to get Gameboy (in any of its forms) games on Wii? I'm wondering if I could find a way to play FFT: Advance, basically =P

Edit: Gamecube games are probably fine too. Do they make wireless controllers for those games on Wii?
Sorry for all the questions XD
 Shiva.Flionheart
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-01-14 09:19:27
Link | Citer | R

Titan.Wombat said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:

I've heard Super Paper Mario is comparable to Mario RPG (Seven Stars on SNES), would you say that's a fair comparison?

Is there any way to get Gameboy (in any of its forms) games on Wii? I'm wondering if I could find a way to play FFT: Advance, basically =P

Edit: Gamecube games are probably fine too. Do they make wireless controllers for those games on Wii?
Sorry for all the questions XD

Super Paper mario is more like a platformer Zelda, think the adventure of link... But its got some of the best humour and really fun combat. If you want a game comparable to Super mario RPG, pick up Paper mario (N64) in the Wii store and buy Paper Mario Thousand year door for the GC.

Umm, I don't think there is, there was on the cube you could use the gameboy player but I'm 95% sure without hacking and running homebrew, that you can't play GB/A games on the Wii, sorry ><
 Diabolos.Mmbacon
Serveur: Diabolos
user: Mmbacon
By Diabolos.Mmbacon 2011-01-14 09:27:01
Link | Citer | R

You could play LOL FF crystal Chronicals....

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Cerberus.Rictor
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Spoon
By Cerberus.Rictor 2011-01-14 09:29:19
Link | Citer | R

Wy wife recently picked up Arc Rise Fantasia. It's a fairly silly game, but the battle system is actually pretty fun. Some of the bosses look rather badass as well.
[+]
By Areis 2011-01-14 09:32:03
Link | Citer | R

Games for the Wii I'd recommend :
Mario Cart
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Paper Mario
Legend of Zelda (Twilight Princess)

Backward compatible GCN games :
Mario Cart
Super Smash Brothers Melee
Super Mario Sunshine
Legend of Zelda " The Wind Waker

Games other ppl might reccomend :
Metroid (any of them) (first person adventure)
Okami (third person adventure, Zelda/Mario)
Fire Emblem (turn based strategy)
Dragon Quest (something between the first FF games (before SNES 3 / PS 6 & Pokemon... i think)

Honestly... your best bets for RPG's are PS2/3 & Xblock 360.
PS2 (cheep as hell) supports a vast set of games you can pick up if you don't want to spend too much, and you can get just about anything used.
PS3 will support much better graphics and will have new games released for it although.. quality of RPGs on the PSN systems varies greatly.
Xblock 360 will have the best Adventure / RPG variety, and i think will maintain a higher standard over games, in 3-5 years though you're probably going to be wondering if the investment was worth it if you can't replace your old one for cheep since there will either be a new and better one out or it will be vastly surpassed by PS3 in terms of what you expect for graphics from your games.
[+]
 Valefor.Sketchkat
Serveur: Valefor
user: sketchkat
By Valefor.Sketchkat 2011-01-14 09:37:57
Link | Citer | R

Monster Hunter Tri! Awesome action rpg that can be played online or offline. Great battle system, cool gear upgrade system, amazing boss fights, and best of all it hasn't been hacked to ***since it's not on PC.

And if you're looking for a traditional JRPG, give Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World a try. It's a sequel to the Gamecube ToS; pretty standard fare, but it's done well.
[+]
By Areis 2011-01-14 09:41:02
Link | Citer | R

Ah yeah Tales games, pick up any of those you can.... *goes to murder the now x-friend who still has mine after way to long*

Chocobo's Dungeon isn't a game you should expect to finish, mostly because it's fun until for one reason or another you set it down for a week then come back with no clue whats going on, how to advance or what did what in the first place. I do still have my copy but it's not something i'm about to put into my Wii anytime soon.
 Lakshmi.Feifongwong
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Feifongwong 2011-01-14 09:46:51
Link | Citer | R

Titan.Wombat said:

So you got a system that your wife is going to play how often? whipped...
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2011-01-14 09:48:43
Link | Citer | R

I enjoyed Paper Mario.
 Titan.Wombat
By Titan.Wombat 2011-01-14 09:49:47
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Feifongwong said:
Titan.Wombat said:

So you got a system that your wife is going to play how often? whipped...

Zing! It's something we can "play together." (She's actually surprisingly good at it.)

I'm basically OK with being whipped in many circumstances. If she's happy then I'm happy =P

Post deleted by User.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2011-01-14 09:51:47
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Rowland said:
Titan.Wombat said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Well, how about Gamecube games? The Wii is backward compatible after all. As for the Wii itself... and games I've played
I've heard Super Paper Mario is comparable to Mario RPG (Seven Stars on SNES), would you say that's a fair comparison? Is there any way to get Gameboy (in any of its forms) games on Wii? I'm wondering if I could find a way to play FFT: Advance, basically =P
The Gamecube Paper Mario is more like Seven Stars, whereas the Super Paper Mario is more like a 2D-3D zelda. Edit: Nintendo got sued for the Wireless gamecube controllers called Wavebirds, so they don't really exist anymore but you can probably find some used online. Otherwise I know pretty much everyone bought the extension cords for gamecube controllers.

I don't think they're comparable at all. Seven Stars is a lot different than any of the Paper Marios. Seven Stars is your typical JRPG style RPG, but Paper Mario is quite a bit different. I could see how some people wouldn't enjoy them, but they're pretty solid games.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-01-14 09:53:18
Link | Citer | R

Get a classic controller and buy all the SNES classics in virtual console. I just got done with Zelda OoT, Secret of Mana, and SMRPG. As the years go on I find myself playing older games more and caring about the new stuff less. The battery finally died in my Secret of Evermore cart. You'd think I would give up and only play an emulator version but I now Alpha Wolf it and try to beat it in one sitting :x
 Titan.Wombat
By Titan.Wombat 2011-01-14 09:55:36
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Ashman said:
Get a classic controller and buy all the SNES classics in virtual console. I just got done with Zelda OoT, Secret of Mana, and SMRPG. As the years go on I find myself playing older games more and caring about the new stuff less. The battery finally died in my Secret of Evermore cart. You'd think I would give up and only play an emulator version but I now Alpha Wolf it and try to beat it in one sitting :x

You can use the classic controller for N64 games (OoT)?
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2011-01-14 09:56:49
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Ashman said:

Did they ever release LTTP on virtual console? I thought it was so gay that they hadn't released it, but I guess they were trying to make some money on that 4 swords version for GBA.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-01-14 10:07:34
Link | Citer | R

Titan.Wombat said:
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
You can use the classic controller for N64 games (OoT)?
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
Did they ever release LTTP on virtual console? I thought it was so gay that they hadn't released it, but I guess they were trying to make some money on that 4 swords version for GBA.

Yes and Yes. Did both last week :D I had a zeldathon.
 Lakshmi.Eyrhika
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Eyrhika
By Lakshmi.Eyrhika 2011-01-14 10:10:51
Link | Citer | R

I second Dragon Quest Sword. It has a good level of challenge, and was really fun. There is some grinding if you want to get "S" rank in every level and be high enough level to be the optional bosses in the end, but overall I really liked it.

I know it isn't an RPG, but Super Mario Brothers Wii was a good game for me and my wife to play together, even if she sucks at it. We just got Donkey Kong, and it looks to be similar to Mario. One really cool thing for old school FF'ers is FF4, the afteryears for Wiiware. You follow all of the characters from FF4 after the conclusion of that game. They each have their own scenario that ends up coming together at the end.. a must for any FF4 fan.
 Siren.Demetreos
Serveur: Siren
user: Riggy
By Siren.Demetreos 2011-01-14 10:15:13
Link | Citer | R

Titan.Wombat said:

Get a divorce, then buy a PS3 with the settlement money.

Lul.

If you're going down the GC games route, Phantasy Star Online and Baten Kaitos are winners.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2011-01-14 10:15:42
Link | Citer | R

LTTP is probably one of my favorite games of all time. I'm to the point now where I always do the Death Mountain glitch to change up the game for more fun, less hearts and can do the castles majorly out of order.

First Page 2