Geek Squad!

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Geek Squad!
Geek Squad!
 Fairy.Tbest
Serveur: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-02-11 15:27:03
Link | Citer | R

Ok, well :P lol I'd go with a faster Dual-Core then. But you'll need a different MB as well, than the one I listed above.
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-11 15:27:32
Link | Citer | R

Tbest said:
In my opinion, the single-core outlived its usefulness years ago.

Most definitely. Computer users multitask nowadays...as OS's become more complex, and more processes are running in the background, let alone multiple applications running side by side, it's pretty much a necessity to have multiple cores. Besides, I think they've pretty much hit the wall with today's technologies in terms of speeding up a single cpu core's speed, so now it's all about "how many cores can we squeeze on one chip?"

Which reminds me, I'd heard Intel was currently working on their 6 and 8-core CPU's. Jesus Christ...
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-11 15:27:43
Link | Citer | R

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Sounds like it could be an overheating issue, too. Doesn't matter since you're building a new one, but I would check your fans to make sure you don't need to purchase some new fans as well (they're dirt cheap so not a big deal)

But the graphics look like crap now, it never had an issue before I reformatted the HD.
 Pandemonium.Oniwabanshu
Serveur: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Oniwabanshu 2009-02-11 15:27:50
Link | Citer | R

True, the single core is pretty outdated but cost wise under $1100 you can get a dual core around 2.4mhz, board, 4gb ram 800mhz, sata2 320 and all for around $700
 Shiva.Artemicion
Serveur: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-02-11 15:28:48
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Just be thankful you don't have a Mac. In that case your solution would be to throw it out your window, and buy a new one!
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-02-11 15:29:19
Link | Citer | R

Ummm... Maybe get better drivers? O.o?

Sometimes it's the most simple solution that is the right one.
 Pandemonium.Oniwabanshu
By Pandemonium.Oniwabanshu 2009-02-11 15:29:23
Link | Citer | R

lolMac
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-11 15:31:06
Link | Citer | R

Tbest said:
Ummm... Maybe get better drivers? O.o? Sometimes it's the most simple solution that is the right one.

Tried that too. I uninstalled tried from CD, uninstalled and tried from the nvidia driver site.
 Pandemonium.Oniwabanshu
By Pandemonium.Oniwabanshu 2009-02-11 15:32:20
Link | Citer | R

Alyria said:
Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Sounds like it could be an overheating issue, too. Doesn't matter since you're building a new one, but I would check your fans to make sure you don't need to purchase some new fans as well (they're dirt cheap so not a big deal)

But the graphics look like crap now, it never had an issue before I reformatted the HD.

Could actually be more then just heat (which could be a problem) the agp slot may have faults or misaligned pins
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-02-11 15:32:30
Link | Citer | R

*Shrugs.* I dunno off-hand then.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-11 15:32:35
Link | Citer | R

Alyria said:

This may be a dumb question, but have you tried re-installing the drivers? If so, have you run the diagnostic that comes with the software? The reason I brought up the overheating issues is, in my experiences, when computers just turn themselves off for no reason half the time that's the issue at hand. You're card could have just died, as well...or maybe the fan on your card shorted out and it overheated?
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-11 15:34:32
Link | Citer | R

I can check it when i get home tonight. I was thinking of uninstalling the current video card, reinstall the old video card I upgraded from and see if its just the motherboard or the video making it mess up.
 Pandemonium.Oniwabanshu
By Pandemonium.Oniwabanshu 2009-02-11 15:35:33
Link | Citer | R

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Alyria said:

This may be a dumb question, but have you tried re-installing the drivers? If so, have you run the diagnostic that comes with the software? The reason I brought up the overheating issues is, in my experiences, when computers just turn themselves off for no reason half the time that's the issue at hand. You're card could have just died, as well...or maybe the fan on your card shorted out and it overheated?

I've run into the same problems before i actually at one point had to run w/o the cover and open the expansion slots and fun a small fan blowing into the box, i got ridd of alot of crap i never used i.e. floppy drive and extra cd drives to get the old IDE ribbons out of the way for good ventilation
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-11 15:36:49
Link | Citer | R

Alyria said:
I can check it when i get home tonight. I was thinking of uninstalling the current video card, reinstall the old video card I upgraded from and see if its just the motherboard or the video making it mess up.

Definitely a good way to try and find the problem...that's why I always keep my outdated computer parts around. My closet looks like the freaking tech shop at my old job lol
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-11 15:38:48
Link | Citer | R

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Alyria said:

lol u mustve went afk when i ansewred that question. Ya i tried uninstalling and reinstalling too. I checked while it runs if the fans are on and the fans all work.

Why i upgraded the last video card was because of WoW, it worked fine with wow but then after big updates the pc would shut off from overheating, so a tech said to upgrade the video card. so I did and worked fine until recently of the reformatting of the pc. :( its freezing, shutting off, beeping even when its starting to load to windows
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-02-11 15:42:37
Link | Citer | R

And like a previous poster had mentioned... It could just be that the video card died on you already. I personally have never had one die before 3 years, but it is definitely possible.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-11 15:45:03
Link | Citer | R

Tbest said:
And like a previous poster had mentioned... It could just be that the video card died on you already. I personally have never had one die before 3 years, but it is definitely possible.

See I don't believe it did die, since when I do go onto windows it can still stay on for hours without me going on the browser or the games. But i will check at home later tonight.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-11 15:49:08
Link | Citer | R

Alyria said:
lol u mustve went afk when i ansewred that question. Ya i tried uninstalling and reinstalling too. I checked while it runs if the fans are on and the fans all work.

Why i upgraded the last video card was because of WoW, it worked fine with wow but then after big updates the pc would shut off from overheating, so a tech said to upgrade the video card. so I did and worked fine until recently of the reformatting of the pc. :( its freezing, shutting off, beeping even when its starting to load to windows

Lol yeah, I was. Really gotta stop doing that...

Another thing you could try, and this is a bit involved but has helped friends having weird issues like that, is to get a couple of cans of compressed air, take out all cards, hose the whole thing down very well, and then re-seat everything. If you're feeling really ambitious, you could remove your CPU's heat sink and make sure the thermal paste is still viable, it tends to dry up after a while...that was the problem on my friends computer recently. He bought some more, reapplied and hasn't had any issues since.

Anyways, yeah...If you're wanting to get a new PC it's prolly not worth all that effort, but again it's something you can try.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-11 15:50:48
Link | Citer | R

it could work, now to bribe the IT manager here at work to take his can of air!! He is really picky of his air can lol
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-02-11 15:54:19
Link | Citer | R

Or ya could just buy a can for a couple bucks. >.>
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-11 15:56:24
Link | Citer | R

Alyria said:
it could work, now to bribe the IT manager here at work to take his can of air!! He is really picky of his air can lol

I don't blame him, that ***cost's a fortune! ^^

I'm such a nerd, I bought a $200 air compressor specifically for that purpose...but I use it fill my tires, too, so it does have other uses too lol
 Shiva.Artemicion
Serveur: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-02-11 15:58:32
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

$200?! I hope that thing has an unlimited supply of air via electronic connection and a strong PSI rating >_>
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-11 15:58:47
Link | Citer | R

lol a can of AIR costs over 6 bux Tbest lol AIR in a CAN! lol I hate buying a bag of chip for .99 cents that is only about 2 oz lol

might as well get it free from work lol
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-02-11 16:01:22
Link | Citer | R

Make sure ya check the moisture in that air compressor regularly though. >.>
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-11 16:03:57
Link | Citer | R

My dad has one of those air compressors, i should take it from him. and yes "take it" lol

Well maybe that can work and ill try to reinstall the video card too and see if it works.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-11 16:07:24
Link | Citer | R

Artemicion said:
$200?! I hope that thing has an unlimited supply of air via electronic connection and a strong PSI rating >.>

It does, and it does. PSI is a bit too strong, actually...I've gotta crank it way down when using it for my PC's or else I worry I'm gonna blow transistors off the board lol.

Tbest said:
Make sure ya check the moisture in that air compressor regularly though. >.>

Haven't noticed any issues so far, it's kept in a pretty dry environment and I always let it run for a while before I start going to town on my PC...

Alyria said:
My dad has one of those air compressors, i should take it from him. and yes "take it" lol

Yes, you should. Canned air just cost's too damn much for what you're getting (Air in a freaking can lol)

Just make sure it's not like gonna blow a hole in your mobo before you try...
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-11 16:09:23
Link | Citer | R

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
I always let it run for a while before I start going to town on my PC...

Lol I'm gonna behave and save my comment

We are a bunch of Geeks lol

Well at least I can get faster help here than on a tech site
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-11 16:12:41
Link | Citer | R

Alyria said:
Xxnumbertwoxx said:
I always let it run for a while before I start going to town on my PC...

Lol I'm gonna behave and save my comment

We are a bunch of Geeks lol

Well at least I can get faster help here than on a tech site

Were you gonna say something dirty? ^^

I love my PC....

As far as the tech thing, I'm still wondering why that tech suggested you buy a new video card when your system was overheating. I mean, it fixed your problem but I've never heard a suggestion like that from anyone in our tech shop lol
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-11 16:15:02
Link | Citer | R

I dunno I went to a site and ppl had similar issues, and they said the game was over powering the graphic card and causing it to overheat and said to get a new card. so I went and spent about 200 bux and it worked so dunno lol.

Yes I was gonna say something dirty lol
 Garuda.Antipika
Serveur: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-02-11 16:15:44
Link | Citer | R

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Which reminds me, I'd heard Intel was currently working on their 6 and 8-core CPU's. Jesus Christ...

Been a long time since these has been anounced :) Coming end of this year. 8 cores, 16 threads. (for server though).

6 cores coming a bit later for high end desktop users.