PS3 Slim... Wait, What?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » PS3 Slim... Wait, what?
PS3 Slim... Wait, what?
First Page 2
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-11 08:53:19
Link | Citer | R

Ok, I settled for a Slim, yesterday, after a bit of FFXIII, I started exploring the PS3, registered my PSP with it, entered my PSN account, etc. I got to thinking.. "PS3 Slim isn't b/c with PS2.. but no one really talks about PSX.." So, I grabbed the closest PSX game I could find, FFVIII, Stuck it in; "You must create an Internal Memory Card (PS) to play PS software." or something like that. So, my worries, mainly over FFIX, seemed to have been for nothing. Rarely do I ever play FFX, X-2, XII, KHII, or DoC. But I play FFVIII, and FFIX quite a bit.

That being said, I go to set up a PSX memory card, and the option is called "Internal Memory Card (PS/PS2)" Now, it was my understanding that PS2 games, themselves, required an Emotion Engine, which a Slim lacks, I'd assume that be it a disc you put in or a homebrew, if possible, the console would reject it. So I'm curious, why is the PS2 portion there? Is it just a storage device for PS2 memory cards? Is it a remnant of B/C left on the Firmware, just to cover all PS3 consoles?

TL;DR Be patient and read? o.O
[+]
 Asura.Kowen
Serveur: Asura
user: Kowen
By Asura.Kowen 2010-05-11 08:58:06
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Is it a remnant of B/C left on the Firmware, just to cover all PS3 consoles?

Probably just this. I'm pretty sure all PS3 models use the same firmware, regardless of backwards compatibility.
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
Serveur: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2010-05-11 08:59:37
Link | Citer | R

[+]
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-11 09:00:35
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kowen said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Probably just this. I'm pretty sure all PS3 models use the same firmware, regardless of backwards compatibility.

Oh, I see. I just didn't really get it, I narrowed it down to those conclusions. TMK, there are no PS2 games on PSN, just PSX, PS3, and PSP.
[+]
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-11 09:05:12
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate said:

Should I even bother making fun of you?
[+]
 Leviathan.Dubont
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-05-11 09:34:23
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kowen said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:

This is true.
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
Serveur: Siren
user: Ihm
By Siren.Ihm 2010-05-11 09:37:59
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Asura.Kowen said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:

Oh, I see. I just didn't really get it, I narrowed it down to those conclusions. TMK, there are no PS2 games on PSN, just PSX, PS3, and PSP.

I heard there was consideration of bringing PS2 games to PSN though.
 Sylph.Belmonth
Serveur: Sylph
user: Belmonth
By Sylph.Belmonth 2010-05-11 09:40:03
Link | Citer | R

They haven't removed it because the PSone games you buy and download from PSN can be played regardless if they have backwards compatibility or not, they take a while to release them after they were announced because they are modified so they can be played, also they are considering to add PS2 games for download in the future.
 Shiva.Darkshade
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-05-11 09:47:26
Link | Citer | R

They use the exact same firmware. There are rumors that they're working on emulation methods for the future, but I doubt the PS3 is powerful enough. (I know they have like super secret dev ***, but it takes me having a quad core + other over powered parts to emulate PS2 on PC) I'd hope that sony's generation 4 console could do it though lol.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-11 09:47:39
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Belmonth said:
They haven't removed it because the PSone games you buy and download from PSN can be played regardless if they have backwards compatibility or not, they take a while to release them after they were announced because they are modified so they can be played, also they are considering to add PS2 games for download in the future.
That'd be cool. I've learned I can play FFXI on PSP via Remote play, but it gets choppy if I move too far away.
[+]
 Sylph.Belmonth
By Sylph.Belmonth 2010-05-11 09:52:36
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Sylph.Belmonth said:
That'd be cool. I've learned I can play FFXI on PSP via Remote play, but it gets choppy if I move too far away.

Can also be played trough any internet connection, but you have to configure your PS3 so that if you have a wireless router, it can send a signal to it so it turns on/off, I only used it though when I was on a trip and wanted to get more MP3 that I had on my PS3.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-11 09:58:48
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Belmonth said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Sylph.Belmonth said:
Can also be played trough any internet connection, but you have to configure your PS3 so that if you have a wireless router, it can send a signal to it so it turns on/off, I only used it though when I was on a trip and wanted to get more MP3 that I had on my PS3.

I have wireless, is it hard to set up like that?
 Sylph.Belmonth
By Sylph.Belmonth 2010-05-11 10:03:54
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Sylph.Belmonth said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Sylph.Belmonth said:

I have wireless, is it hard to set up like that?

Uh not much, there were the instructions somewhere on the playstation site, I do remember you need to have you PS3 wired in order to do this and when you want to use adhoc party for PSP also
 Sylph.Belmonth
By Sylph.Belmonth 2010-05-11 10:07:38
Link | Citer | R

Here, I found the instructions:

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/3_15/remoteplay/remoteinternet.html
 Garuda.Galadriel
Serveur: Garuda
user: Galadriel
By Garuda.Galadriel 2010-05-11 10:32:55
Link | Citer | R

One thing i liked about the PS1 games u d/l off PSN is that they can all be played on your psp which i thought was a nice addition. I did however find out that if u share your PSN downloads with a friend it wont let u put the PS1 games on a psp that is not registered to your friend's psn account.
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
Serveur: Siren
user: Ihm
By Siren.Ihm 2010-05-13 14:14:27
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Darkshade said:
They use the exact same firmware. There are rumors that they're working on emulation methods for the future, but I doubt the PS3 is powerful enough. (I know they have like super secret dev ***, but it takes me having a quad core other over powered parts to emulate PS2 on PC) I'd hope that sony's generation 4 console could do it though lol.

PS3 is Oct Core >.>
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
Serveur: Midgardsormr
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2010-05-13 16:01:04
Link | Citer | R

I thought all PS3s had at least limited backwards compatibility with PS2 games? The fat PS3s were split between having the actual PS2 hardware inside for full backwards compatibility, or software emulation which was compatible with most PS2 games.

I can't imagine why Sony would completely remove PS2 backwards compatibility from the slim when they already have the emulation figured out in software.

Shiva.Darkshade said:
They use the exact same firmware. There are rumors that they're working on emulation methods for the future, but I doubt the PS3 is powerful enough. (I know they have like super secret dev ***, but it takes me having a quad core other over powered parts to emulate PS2 on PC) I'd hope that sony's generation 4 console could do it though lol.
Soooo... you're saying that the PS3 is not powerful enough to play PS2 games?

Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-13 16:03:40
Link | Citer | R

Midgardsormr.Sammitch said:
I thought all PS3s had at least limited backwards compatibility with PS2 games? The fat PS3s were split between having the actual PS2 hardware inside for full backwards compatibility, or software emulation which was compatible with most PS2 games. I can't imagine why Sony would completely remove PS2 backwards compatibility from the slim when they already have the emulation figured out in software.
Shiva.Darkshade said:
Soooo... you're saying that the PS3 is not powerful enough to play PS2 games?

Doesn't make sense. I know.
 Asura.Rule
Serveur: Asura
user: Rule
By Asura.Rule 2010-05-13 16:22:34
Link | Citer | R

even the wii is backwards compatible to gamecube games ><
 Leviathan.Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-05-13 16:27:15
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Darkshade said:
the PS3 CAN run PS2...the original could. The reason they stopped producing this model is 1) It cost Sony too much money 2) If they WERE to leave the chip in there to emulate ps2 games, the price would not have dropped to $299. If it had, Sony would be losing money on PS3's instead of making it.

tl;dr ur a *** idiot, stop talking.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-13 16:27:32
Link | Citer | R

PS3 Slim can do PS3 and PS1, that's it.
 Leviathan.Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-05-13 16:31:04
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Who doesn't know this already?
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-13 16:33:21
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Dubont said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:

I was talking to the civilized posters of the thread, ***.

EDIT: And to Darkshade, in a civilized way, The PS3 is perfectly capable of running PS2 games, it lacks a chip called the Emotion Engine, which the 60 GB had. The semi-B/C models ran PS2 games on software emulators, which limited what games you could play, because some were incompatable with that software. I'm sure a simple software emulator would be cheaper than a chip, but it'd be limited. Sony basically said B/C isn't coming back.

EDIT2: Or atleast that's how I understood it.
 Leviathan.Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-05-13 16:42:49
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Leviathan.Dubont said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:

and how am I NOT civilized? If you don't know by now that the slim is not backwards compatible, then you are an obvious idiot.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-13 16:46:50
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Dubont said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Leviathan.Dubont said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
and how am I NOT civilized? If you don't know by now that the slim is not backwards compatible, then you are an obvious idiot.

But I DO know. I just said that.
Leviathan.Dubont said:
Shiva.Darkshade said:
the PS3 CAN run PS2...the original could. The reason they stopped producing this model is 1) It cost Sony too much money 2) If they WERE to leave the chip in there to emulate ps2 games, the price would not have dropped to $299. If it had, Sony would be losing money on PS3's instead of making it. tl;dr ur a *** idiot, stop talking.

This post is rather uncivilized, you came in like a monkey, throwing ***at the first person you didn't like.
 Leviathan.Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-05-13 16:49:00
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Leviathan.Dubont said:
Shiva.Darkshade said:
the PS3 CAN run PS2...the original could. The reason they stopped producing this model is 1) It cost Sony too much money 2) If they WERE to leave the chip in there to emulate ps2 games, the price would not have dropped to $299. If it had, Sony would be losing money on PS3's instead of making it. tl;dr ur a *** idiot, stop talking.

This post is rather uncivilized, you came in like a monkey, throwing ***at the first person you didn't like.
Well he said the PS3 isn't powerful enough to emulate PS2 games b/c his piece of ***computer can't....he was wrong...he needed to be shot down. YOU need to calm down =)
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-13 16:49:49
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Dubont said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Leviathan.Dubont said:
Shiva.Darkshade said:
Well he said the PS3 isn't powerful enough to emulate PS2 games b/c his piece of ***computer can't....he was wrong...he needed to be shot down. YOU need to calm down =)

So do you, brah, so do you.
 Leviathan.Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-05-13 16:50:54
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Leviathan.Dubont said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Leviathan.Dubont said:
Shiva.Darkshade said:

So do you, brah, so do you.
I dont recall me saying anything that was not true in this thread. =)
 Alexander.Northstar
Serveur: Alexander
user: Deahn
By Alexander.Northstar 2010-05-13 16:59:36
Link | Citer | R

I have a PS3 Slim and actually really like it. It's not backwards compatible but that's ok considering I still have my PS2 in perfect working condition. *** trading it in for $25 dollars.

EDIT: Also to my understanding from the 1st post the PS3 Slim is backwards compatible on some games, PS and PS2. The Internal Memory Card thing is obviously to store the data you create from saving the games that work on it. I have yet to do either of these but before I made the decision to lay down $350 (I bought the 250 GB) I made sure to check out all the perks and stuff. The backwards compatible works with select games and to find out more about it I'm pretty sure you would have to check out the Sony Playstation website for more specifics about it. Or call/chat with a customer service representative about it.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-13 17:01:10
Link | Citer | R

Alexander.Northstar said:
I have a PS3 Slim and actually really like it. It's not backwards compatible but that's ok considering I still have my PS2 in perfect working condition. *** trading it in for $25 dollars.

My fat PS2 either takes 20 mins to load a game, or won't work at all. I was borrowing my Niece's PS2 Slim.
First Page 2