PS3 Slim... Wait, What?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » PS3 Slim... Wait, what?
PS3 Slim... Wait, what?
 Fairy.Victoire
Serveur: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Alexandre
By Fairy.Victoire 2010-05-13 17:02:10
Link | Citer | R

I don't even have a slim and mine isn't backwards compatible either. I have a PS2 though it's not too big of a problem. From what I heard the old PS3s didn't make money at all, even without the chip to run PS2 games. Maybe the slims do.
 Alexander.Northstar
Serveur: Alexander
user: Deahn
By Alexander.Northstar 2010-05-13 17:10:01
Link | Citer | R

Oh mine is still the block. I kept it since I started playing FFXI on it and needed the block for the HDD. The PS2 slim has always, in my eyes, been a problem. My two younger step brothers had one, and it still works yes, but its a weird machine.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-13 17:11:08
Link | Citer | R

Alexander.Northstar said:
Oh mine is still the block. I kept it since I started playing FFXI on it and needed the block for the HDD. The PS2 slim has always, in my eyes, been a problem. My two younger step brothers had one, and it still works yes, but its a weird machine.

That's all I can use my PS2 for now, lol.
 Leviathan.Dubont
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-05-13 17:14:35
Link | Citer | R

Fairy.Victoire said:
I don't even have a slim and mine isn't backwards compatible either. I have a PS2 though it's not too big of a problem. From what I heard the old PS3s didn't make money at all, even without the chip to run PS2 games. Maybe the slims do.
The only reason the original phats didnt make any money was because they were like $699 and the very first ones did not have wireless. The next model of the 20GB had wireless and PS2 backwards. Most of the models after that did not have backwards. I got the 20GB with wireless. =D
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-13 17:16:54
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Dubont said:
Fairy.Victoire said:
The only reason the original phats didnt make any money was because they were like $699 and the very first ones did not have wireless. The next model of the 20GB had wireless and PS2 backwards. Most of the models after that did not have backwards. I got the 20GB with wireless. =D

To be $699, was Sony just upping the price? I really doubt there is a $400 difference between parts for a PS3 and a PS3 Slim.
 Alexander.Northstar
By Alexander.Northstar 2010-05-13 17:18:52
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Alexander.Northstar said:

That's all I can use my PS2 for now, lol.

Damn sorry to hear that lol. I don't use it much since I go between trying to max out all characters in Dissida on my PSP, which is excruciatingly boring, to playing hardly any games at all besides XI.

The only games I have for PS/PS2 anyways are FF 1-12, KH 1-2, DoC, Killzone, GoW 1-2, and Shadow of the Colossus. For PS3 I have Killzone 2, Star Wars: Force Unleashed - Ultimate Sith Edition, Mirror's Edge, FFXIII and GoW 3.
 Leviathan.Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-05-13 17:22:27
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Leviathan.Dubont said:
Fairy.Victoire said:

To be $699, was Sony just upping the price? I really doubt there is a $400 difference between parts for a PS3 and a PS3 Slim.
There actually is. The MAIN difference is the PS2 emulator chip. Also with the slims, all of the chips are smaller and Sony found a way to manufacture some cheaper than they were in the original. Also, the slim is missing a few things that the original had...
 Alexander.Northstar
By Alexander.Northstar 2010-05-13 17:24:13
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Leviathan.Dubont said:
Fairy.Victoire said:

@Dubont: A friend of mine got the $699 one I think then got pissed after they announced a drastic price drop and then removal of the item entirely to make room for the SLim lol.

@Kujo: Uhm, the body frame of the model (not to sound like a smart ***). The plastic case surrounding the circuitry on the slim is more durable I think but probably cost less to produce. Other than that finding new ways to adapt the mother boards of the system and wires and everything that makes the system run properly may have been easier to place in because of the new look on the Slim. Other than that I have no idea what it might be.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-13 17:24:53
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Dubont said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Leviathan.Dubont said:
Fairy.Victoire said:
There actually is. The MAIN difference is the PS2 emulator chip. Also with the slims, all of the chips are smaller and Sony found a way to manufacture some cheaper than they were in the original. Also, the slim is missing a few things that the original had...

Obviously the EE, but what else? I know extra (more than 2) USB ports and Memory Card slots, but what else?

I'm just glad my Slim didn't have a powerbrick like slim PS2s did.
 Leviathan.Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-05-13 17:32:24
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kojo said:

Obviously the EE, but what else? I know extra (more than 2) USB ports and Memory Card slots, but what else?
the slim does not have the touch sensitive panel for activating the PS3 and ejecting the disc. Instead, it uses buttons..Also, on the slims, I don't think that you could install Linux on them like you can the fats.

Finally, when the original came out, it was the first system to play blu-ray (hell it still is) but blu-ray was not popular and it was still very new so that resulted in the "hey its new lets up the price" mind set just like everything else.

Edit: and yes, the parts for the Slim are cheaper than the ones for the fat b/c Sony (like I said) found a way to produce more faster and cheaper than when the fat was produced.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-13 17:36:59
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Dubont said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
the slim does not have the touch sensitive panel for activating the PS3 and ejecting the disc. Instead, it uses buttons..Also, on the slims, I don't think that you could install Linux on them like you can the fats. Finally, when the original came out, it was the first system to play blu-ray (hell it still is) but blu-ray was not popular and it was still very new so that resulted in the "hey its new lets up the price" mind set just like everything else. Edit: and yes, the parts for the Slim are cheaper than the ones for the fat b/c Sony (like I said) found a way to produce more faster and cheaper than when the fat was produced.

The workings of the slim are just fine, no you can't put Linux on it, but I wouldn't want to. Only thing I'd change is give it B/C and make it easier to situate pics, music, etc. I realise B/C is most likely NOT gonna happen, tho. But would a B/C Slim model really be much of a difference in price?
 Leviathan.Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-05-13 17:41:51
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Leviathan.Dubont said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
the slim does not have the touch sensitive panel for activating the PS3 and ejecting the disc. Instead, it uses buttons..Also, on the slims, I don't think that you could install Linux on them like you can the fats. Finally, when the original came out, it was the first system to play blu-ray (hell it still is) but blu-ray was not popular and it was still very new so that resulted in the "hey its new lets up the price" mind set just like everything else. Edit: and yes, the parts for the Slim are cheaper than the ones for the fat b/c Sony (like I said) found a way to produce more faster and cheaper than when the fat was produced.

The workings of the slim are just fine, no you can't put Linux on it, but I wouldn't want to. Only thing I'd change is give it B/C and make it easier to situate pics, music, etc. I realise B/C is most likely NOT gonna happen, tho. But would a B/C Slim model really be much of a difference in price?
With the technology that we have now, B/C wouldn't cost more than maybe $100 more if that, but again, when this ***was first being produced, it cost Sony a lot of money to make that thing. As far as linux goes, I like being able to play PC/Xbox games on my ps3...well DID until Sony took that away from us in the last update...come on Geohot..make a work around pl0x
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-05-13 17:43:23
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Dubont said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Leviathan.Dubont said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
With the technology that we have now, B/C wouldn't cost more than maybe $100 more if that, but again, when this ***was first being produced, it cost Sony a lot of money to make that thing. As far as linux goes, I like being able to play PC/Xbox games on my ps3...well DID until Sony took that away from us in the last update...come on Geohot..make a work around pl0x

Never knew Linux allowed PC games and Xbox games.
 Cerberus.Ferth
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Ferth
By Cerberus.Ferth 2010-05-13 17:50:38
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Rule said:
even the wii is backwards compatible to gamecube games ><

Actually the wii is almost identical to a game cube in terms of hardware, just supports bigger format discs and the wireless controller.
 Leviathan.Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-05-13 17:52:55
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Leviathan.Dubont said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Leviathan.Dubont said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:

Never knew Linux allowed PC games and Xbox games.
by itself no, but with Linux, it allows the PS3 to be modded in a way that Xbox and PC games can be played on it; however limited they may be.
 Leviathan.Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-05-13 17:53:19
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Ferth said:
Asura.Rule said:
even the wii is backwards compatible to gamecube games ><

Actually the wii is almost identical to a game cube in terms of hardware, just supports bigger format discs and the wireless controller.
and wi-fi
 Ragnarok.Psyence
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2010-05-13 18:42:20
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Dubont said:
If you don't know by now [...] then you are an obvious idiot.
When someone asks a question, they're humbly asking you to educate them. How you could possibly interpret their lack of knowledge (combined with a will to learn) as idiocy is beyond me.

It's impossible to know anything without learning it. Witnessing such gratuitous intolerance towards honest ignorance outrages me. It's partly because of your kind of attitude that many hesitate to question sufficiently. There are tons of simple facts that you've never heard of, simply because you wouldn't have enough time to gather all that knowledge.

Speaking of which, it seems several people think that the only way to play PSOne games is to download them through the PSN. But your original PSOne discs will also load on any model of PS3, including slim. Give it a try if you haven't ^^
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
Serveur: Midgardsormr
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2010-05-13 19:02:59
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Kojo said:
PS3 Slim can do PS3 and PS1, that's it.
That sucks.

Phoenix.Kojo said:
Leviathan.Dubont said:
Fairy.Victoire said:

When the PS3 was originally designed/released the components were significantly more expensive. ie. Do you remember how ridiculously expensive Blu-Ray players were back in the day? Same components, and more. I believe the Slim still sells at a net loss, but is coming close to breaking even. Short answer: every console, not just PS3, sells at a net less for the majority of its life cycle. They make money selling the games, not the consoles.

Back to the components, over time production methods evolve, supplies can increase, competition between manufacturers can increase, all of which and more drive down the overall cost of the machine. Add to that the removal of useless components [I have never used the memory card slots. Ever.] which further pull down the cost.
 Leviathan.Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-05-13 19:36:34
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Psyence said:
Leviathan.Dubont said:
If you don't know by now [...] then you are an obvious idiot.
When someone asks a question, they're humbly asking you to educate them. How you could possibly interpret their lack of knowledge (combined with a will to learn) as idiocy is beyond me.

It's impossible to know anything without learning it. Witnessing such gratuitous intolerance towards honest ignorance outrages me. It's partly because of your kind of attitude that many hesitate to question sufficiently. There are tons of simple facts that you've never heard of, simply because you wouldn't have enough time to gather all that knowledge.

Speaking of which, it seems several people think that the only way to play PSOne games is to download them through the PSN. But your original PSOne discs will also load on any model of PS3, including slim. Give it a try if you haven't ^^
The fact that is says on the box that the ps3 is or isn't compatible, the fact that it was mentioned many times in this thread, the fact that lrn2Google comes into place, all make me come to the conclusion that if you don't know which PS3's can and can't play PS3 games by now, then you are in fact an idiot.
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
Serveur: Midgardsormr
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2010-05-14 01:10:36
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Dubont said:
if you don't know which PS3's can and can't play PS3 games by now, then you are in fact an idiot.