Wtf Does This Mean??

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » wtf does this mean??
wtf does this mean??
 Alexander.Harryxi
Serveur: Alexander
Game: FFXI
user: HarryXI
By Alexander.Harryxi 2008-12-18 00:56:26
Link | Citer | R

Considering the overuse of lol, lmao, and others, I've been typing "hahahaha" (laughter) or "HAHAHAHAHAHA" (loud laughter) and adding more syllables as needed proportionate to the amount of laughing I do. I don't type in laughter unless I'm really laughing (which is quite often with the nuts I have in LS), and I'd argue that spelling out your continued laughter gives the joke-teller or situation-spiller a little more feedback than the standard unaffectionate response: lol.

Titters and giggles also have their own onomatopoeia.

Side note:
What happened to punctuation? I have hell trying to decipher the shouts in WG or tells I receive sometimes.
 Ragnarok.Anye
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2008-12-18 01:10:09
Link | Citer | R

Harryxi said:
What happened to punctuation? I have hell trying to decipher the shouts in WG or tells I receive sometimes.

Run-on sentences make Baby Jesus cry. AND IT'S HIS ALMOST HIS BIRTHDAY!! Geez, people. D:<

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Marigrim
Serveur: Odin
user: Mmaarrii
By Odin.Marigrim 2008-12-18 06:26:44
Link | Citer | R

I seem to be a popular post artist D: Thanks again guys for keeping these weird threads going XD I saw it again today.. and it took everything I had to keep from (see below)
Anye said:
kneeling down and banging my head on the floor. XD

LOL thanks Anye

you guys are great (and ladies) for keeping these going XD it's fun ^^;
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2008-12-19 11:53:52
Link | Citer | R

XD np, but that's what orz means anyhoo =3
 Fairy.Tbest
Serveur: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2008-12-19 12:44:44
Link | Citer | R

Yeah... *Sighs and then takes a deep breath.*
/rant on
I'm going to go with the whole downward spiral of society on this one. >.> I mean, honestly... 99% of the people that actually use 'ur' or other "short-hand" spellings for words DON'T know how to correctly use the word. And everyone thinks "Oh well.. It's just an online game." or "It's just the internet. I can be lazy and avoid capitalizing, punctuating, spelling correctly or using proper grammar." But this type of attitude and behavior spill over into everything else a person does. You should NOT have to rely on the spelling/grammar tools in a word processor for words like your/you're or there/their/they're...
/rant off
Aside from that... I generally try to type out how I'm reacting in real life as opposed to just an lol. (Unless the person is boring me and I'm pretty much ignoring them. >.> Then they get lol, k, Yeah, etc.)
 Lakshmi.Wardens
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2008-12-19 12:55:06
Link | Citer | R

haha, I agree with Tbest. On the punctuation part and on the "lol" if I just don't really care. I mean... not always! Sometimes if it was just a little chuckle I will use "lol" as well.
 Garuda.Littledarc
Serveur: Garuda
By Garuda.Littledarc 2008-12-19 15:49:31
Link | Citer | R

i feel that people that type like this "ZoMg DudE i sAw tHaT toO" is much more annoying than not using punctuation.
 Ragnarok.Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2008-12-19 20:59:30
Link | Citer | R

Littledarc said:
i feel that people that type like this "ZoMg DudE i sAw tHaT toO" is much more annoying than not using punctuation.

HAHAHAHA, totally Littledarc!!! \o/
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2008-12-20 00:58:55
Link | Citer | R

at least the people that type like that can't talk like that....unless they are going through some wicked puberty.
 Bahamut.Sendrethol
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Sendrethol 2008-12-20 07:36:03
Link | Citer | R

When i have to type fast i shorten words like "ur" and "r" but even that's rare, and i only say lawl when i mock people that say it out load ill even say "El Oh El" to mock other people i know who actually say lol out loud. BTW insert Vally-girl voice with it and you'll see how ear splitting it is.

Edit: after reading a little further just to prove -You're=You Are- -your=possessive-

Edit...Again: -There=stating a place- -They're=They are- -Their=possessive again-
And so much more!
 Fairy.Conchita
Serveur: Fairy
user: Conchita
By Fairy.Conchita 2008-12-20 10:10:57
Link | Citer | R

Ah, my favorite. I -HATE- people that use their/they're and there wrong. I'm german and it's so obvious when you need to use which. How the hell can someone not know which to use when they are actually BORN/LIVING in english speaking countries? Same with you're and your. I don't get it. Sometimes it's just painful to read and when you correct the person you just get a "w/e" or silly comment.
I also agree with the "neverending" sentences. When I read a sentence without any punctuation I'm just wondering if they actually talk that way too. Like, how do they breath while reading out that sentence?

Here's a nice site a friend of mine gave me. It's for all you people that don't know when to use what! READ IT PLEASE.

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html#errors

/rant off
 Alexander.Neph
user: Neph
By Alexander.Neph 2008-12-20 12:02:52
Link | Citer | R

My sister just graduated from WSU! :D
Which is in part why I'm stuck here... if that was just a random link your friend gave you, nvm. :x

I think most people who play FFXI are old enough to not make most spelling mistakes intentionally. Most of them are pretty embarrassing, but I don't hold anything against someone who says lawl or wut or whatever, as I find it curiously appropriate for some situations.

I understand getting annoyed by AOL/leetspeak, but if someone gets particularly obsessed over it I just assume they have other issues going on at home.
 Cerberus.Savannah
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Savannah
By Cerberus.Savannah 2008-12-22 10:10:52
Link | Citer | R

Smokedit said:
lol is to lulz like Savannah is to Hawt simple Yay, 1st post.

Hahahaha Smoke you goof! made me blush lolz *^^*

zomg! I used lolz!?! hahaha proof in point.
 Cerberus.Smokedit
user: Smokedit
By Cerberus.Smokedit 2008-12-22 10:56:21
Link | Citer | R

:)
 Ifrit.Rikiyame
Serveur: Ifrit
user: Rikiyame
By Ifrit.Rikiyame 2008-12-22 12:03:01
Link | Citer | R

I'd just like to point out all those "people that" in the posts and it's really "people who"...

Further is immeasurable distance.
Farther is measurable distance.
 Alexander.Neph
user: Neph
By Alexander.Neph 2008-12-22 12:17:39
Link | Citer | R

Oh thank god I used "people who." :x
Double checked just in case, and no I didn't edit. :O
 Garuda.Littledarc
By Garuda.Littledarc 2008-12-22 12:25:24
Link | Citer | R

wow i missed that lol.
 Cerberus.Savannah
user: Savannah
By Cerberus.Savannah 2008-12-23 02:22:15
Link | Citer | R

[quote=Rikiyame]I'd just like to point out all those "people that" in the posts and it's really "people who"... quote]

Um...thank you?

However I would like to remind you all that this is a game that a lot of us use to get away from the real world, away from the stress of having to be perfect in the way we write our papers or presentations.

This is not school. This is not work. This is funtime....why make it a big deal how someone types something? If you can read it and get the gist of the idea, who cares.

jmo, but anyway. relax have fun and go *giggle* and *lolz* at someone :D
 Bahamut.Lyle
Serveur: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Lyle 2009-01-15 00:23:45
Link | Citer | R

Zareen said:
Dont even get me started on wot, wat, wut, whut...

I usually stop talking to people once they use aborted words like that.

This isn't text messaging. you got a full size keyboard. *** USE IT!

*Lyle does not condone anything said that requires your thumbs to type with*
 Asura.Celene
Serveur: Asura
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-01-19 16:13:43
Link | Citer | R

Savannah said:

However I would like to remind you all that this is a game that a lot of us use to get away from the real world, away from the stress of having to be perfect in the way we write our papers or presentations.

This is not school. This is not work. This is funtime....why make it a big deal how someone types something? If you can read it and get the gist of the idea, who cares.

See, I wish more people would think like this.

I frequently use lol, lolz, rofl, lmao, wtf, etc and I'm going to continue using them. Perhaps it's juvenile of me, but it's just for fun, so why not?
I'm not sure whether or not many people have the same mentality as me, or really don't know how to spell the words. Hmm.
 Cerberus.Saiya
user: Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-01-19 17:22:21
Link | Citer | R

Savannah said:

Win, this is the whole point. Getting so gung-ho about minor differences in abbreviations or internet slang doesn't strike me as the penchant of the well educated individual. Leave it out, if small things like that really annoy you so much you're not enjoying the game enough, no?

And by the by, as far as I was aware 'lawl' was a 'drawling' lol. Changing letters to give different connotations to the implied sound of a widely accepted phrase/word... does that slightly resemble the evolution of modern language a bit?

Put out the torches and divert all this self-righteous angst into farming some gil =D.
 Gilgamesh.Voch
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: Voch
By Gilgamesh.Voch 2009-01-19 18:39:53
Link | Citer | R

Ok, I found this to be really funny:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Voch
Wow, didn't realize my name was in the Urban Dictionary!
And to think, I was named by the FFXI server...
 Unicorn.Tavlov
Serveur: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-01-19 20:07:49
Link | Citer | R

lol nice. Tav seems to be slang for marijuana ><
 Unicorn.Tavlov
Serveur: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-01-19 20:10:06
Link | Citer | R

Lyle said:
Zareen said:
Dont even get me started on wot, wat, wut, whut...

I usually stop talking to people once they use aborted words like that.

This isn't text messaging. you got a full size keyboard. *** USE IT!

*Lyle does not condone anything said that requires your thumbs to type with*

lmao, I'd have to agree with this point. If we let our fingers go into the text gutter for everything, that's just a bad habit and bad manners. ;)

EDIT: on that point, theres nothing wrong with some slang, but 15 ways, and counting, for the same point is a bit extreme.