First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-08-31 20:44:56
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
Bismarck.Magnumatic said:
Cool story. Just don't give anyone advice.
Actually, I will. If that person chooses to heed the advice, cool. If they choose not to, cool. That's exactly the problem with many individuals posting in these forums and others like these: to use forums' language, people get "butthurt" whenever their logical opinions aren't validated 100% by the recipient of the advice. Get over yourself.

It takes someone that is far more into themselves to argue that Denali could ever be better than walahra turban lol.

Ifrit.Vextra
Serveur: Ifrit
user: Vextra
By Ifrit.Vextra 2010-08-31 20:44:56
Link | Citer | R

take your own advice jesus
 Alexander.Temaruma
Serveur: Alexander
user: Temarumaz
By Alexander.Temaruma 2010-08-31 20:45:26
Link | Citer | R

Like I said, get over yourselves!

You first.
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-08-31 20:46:02
Link | Citer | R

Is there really 12 pages to such a painfully obvious answer?

This site just keeps getting better and better.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-31 20:49:11
Link | Citer | R

It's not a dumb argument.

When it comes to endgame material in FFXI, what matters is results. How a player achieves the results is more or less irrelevant, except for the purposes of petty debates.

You may not be able to do the "same ***" on PLD that a PLD using Aegis or D-Ring can do, but the influence of those particular items is FAR more potent than the effect of say ... W. Turban over another Haste-bearing headpiece.

The bottom line is that, with some notable but rare exceptions, individual pieces of equipment on FFXI have a FAR LESSER effect on a player's performance than what one might expect, given the volume of gear "discussions" (arguments) in FFXI forums, and the tenacity with which some players defend said arguments.

Gear is important. But it's less important than most want to believe. Sorry.

Like I said, get over yourselves!

Except in this scenario the superior choice is also the easier to obtain one. So using an inferior piece is just HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-31 20:50:23
Link | Citer | R

Homam head or gtfo!
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-08-31 20:50:58
Link | Citer | R

It's not a dumb argument. When it comes to endgame material in FFXI, what matters is results. How a player achieves the results is more or less irrelevant, except for the purposes of petty debates. You may not be able to do the "same ***" on PLD that a PLD using Aegis or D-Ring can do, but the influence of those particular items is FAR more potent than the effect of say ... W. Turban over another Haste-bearing headpiece. The bottom line is that, with some notable but rare exceptions, individual pieces of equipment on FFXI have a FAR LESSER effect on a player's performance than what one might expect, given the volume of gear "discussions" (arguments) in FFXI forums, and the tenacity with which some players defend said arguments. Gear is important. But it's less important than most want to believe. Sorry. Like I said, get over yourselves!

That is exactly what what someone who wears Askar Helm, Perle hands, and Perle feet would say.

Maybe 1% Haste isn't THAT big of a deal...

But you could have up to an extra 5% haste put into the slots where you have surely gimped yourself.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-08-31 20:51:05
Link | Citer | R

I wasn't a gearfag while I played, but seriously, using Denali head is going OUT OF YOUR WAY to be gimp.

That's like purposely tiring yourself before a race. You're only shooting yourself in the foot.
 Asura.Karbuncle
Serveur: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-08-31 20:53:38
Link | Citer | R

Regardless of how much of a effect on performance said item has on said player, Vs "Skill" (Seriously? Skill? How hard is it to hit Hasso? or hit a WS button and continue auto-attacking?).

If you have the Same skilled player parsing himself in 2 sets of armor, 1 with Wal.Turban, and one with a Haste+4 Head(Denali/Askar) He will perform better with Wal.Turban, making all arguments of skill invalid.

That being said, you can play the game how you want, just don't lie to other people by spreading false information, keep your "opinions" to yourself and let the math (Hint:Truth) Speak to those who would listen. In this case, Haste+5% > Haste+4 and some AGI/MND or STR/DEX.

Oh, and a Pro-tip: people who are "Skilled" Don't wear stupid armor choices, they aren't perfect, but "Skilled" players generally know basic math, like 5 > 4, and the absolute importance of haste armor and its direct and immediately noticeable impact on your DPS. Skill is knowledge of how to play your job, anyone with Skill should know the importance of haste.
[+]
 Ifrit.Vextra
user: Vextra
By Ifrit.Vextra 2010-08-31 20:53:38
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Homam head or gtfo!

dnc cant wear homam..../facepalm
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-08-31 20:54:30
Link | Citer | R

Ifrit.Vextra said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Homam head or gtfo!
dnc cant wear homam..../facepalm
I don't care!!!!

Real players hack!
[+]
 Phoenix.Excelior
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-08-31 20:57:25
Link | Citer | R

It's not a dumb argument. When it comes to endgame material in FFXI, what matters is results. How a player achieves the results is more or less irrelevant, except for the purposes of petty debates. You may not be able to do the "same ***" on PLD that a PLD using Aegis or D-Ring can do, but the influence of those particular items is FAR more potent than the effect of say ... W. Turban over another Haste-bearing headpiece. The bottom line is that, with some notable but rare exceptions, individual pieces of equipment on FFXI have a FAR LESSER effect on a player's performance than what one might expect, given the volume of gear "discussions" (arguments) in FFXI forums, and the tenacity with which some players defend said arguments. Gear is important. But it's less important than most want to believe. Sorry. Like I said, get over yourselves!

You're pretty much flat out wrong, little pieces of gear add up into large percentages. Lets look at an example here, most dynamis runs I parse well over 100,000 damage.
If I chose to gimp myself in one slot, say the head, I'd lose 3% of that damage.

100,000* .03 = 3,000. Holy ***that's an entire extra mob worth of damage I didn't do.

Ok now lets assume I sacrifice another 1% in another slot(I didn't feel like using blitz ring today.)So, that's another 3% off the parse

100,000*.03 = 3,000 Holy ***that's a second mob worth of damage gone.

Ok lets assume I felt like wearing my Askar body over my hauberk and my accuracy dropped 3%.

Yep, that's a third mob worth of damage I didn't do.

Now lets say I was being REALLY lazy and I decided to sub thf(because I'm tired of listening to this argument). Kay, now I lost another 30% damage because I didn't use hasso.

100,000*.30= 30,000 damage gone. Dear god that's 10 more mobs I could have killed.

Now lets assume my ENTIRE LS thought like this.
Holy *** we can barely clear a city.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-08-31 21:11:57
Link | Citer | R

Any relation to Nabis ?
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Zicdeh
Serveur: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-08-31 21:25:52
Link | Citer | R

Why does this thread even exist?

Denali bonnet is only useful if you're RP'ing "Little House on the Prairie"
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-08-31 21:37:38
Link | Citer | R

Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
Bismarck.Magnumatic said:
Any relation to Nabis ?
That is just insulting to Nabis now. What did his three hit build SAM ever do to be called Elan?!

Good point. XDD
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-08-31 22:12:21
Link | Citer | R

So ridiculous that FFXI players fret about Haste +4% vs. Haste +5% on a piece of equipment.

BIG DEAL.

Judging others' equipment with the intent to be punitive and condescending is by far the lamest and sorriest pastime of FFXI players.

GET A LIFE.

If you like to optimize your FFXI gear, please, by all means, do so. No one, including me, is telling you that's a bad thing, and you're entitled to do as you wish. I applaud you.

But if another player wants to equip their character differently than you, LET IT GO. You're not better than that person based solely on your character's equipment. You don't deserve an award or any special praise. And they don't deserve your ridicule.

Well, what doesn't make sense to me is that... Unless you get really lucky Denali Bonnet is much much harder to obtain than Walahra Turban. People want to show off their shiny gear that they worked so hard for, but the fact of the matter is that the "easy to obtain, ugly piece that everyone else is wearing" is better. How can you possibly defend someone who is like that?

It's like using Impulse Drive exclusively(instead of Penta Thrust) as DRG simply because you worked hard to unlock it, regardless of the fact that Penta Thrust(when not making light SC) is almost always better. When people come to a forum, ask for advice, then outright ignore the majority and wholly accept the minority based on faulty reasoning, it's just disheartening for the people who truly addressed the questions. Stubborn, stupid people will remain stubborn and stupid. :/
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-08-31 22:19:06
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Stubborn, stupid people will remain stubborn and stupid. :/

Mmhmmmmmmmm

Caitsith.Mahayaya
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-08-31 22:32:15
Link | Citer | R

I just want to facepalm everytime I see someone say they'd rather Denali Bonnet(except in the case of the MNK capped haste scenario, but even then, there are some better options).

If you really can't believe how stubborn people can be, you should read the first two pages of this thread...

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/12293/rajas-vs-sattva/

The OP clearly had his mind made up from the start, and even though the majority of people echoed the answer, he listened to the BS from a few others.
 Ramuh.Guffy
user: Guffy
By Ramuh.Guffy 2010-08-31 22:41:03
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Excelior said:
Ramuh.Guffy said:
I think I will be using Denali Bonnet on Monk once I get Poise Shoes and use Foot Work. With Poise (5%), B Haidate (5%), Black Belt (12%), and Denali Bonnet (4%) I reach haste cap and the 1% extra from Turban isn't needed anymore, I think this is a situation where Denali Bonnet is better than W Turban.

People need to stop looking at gear as which piece is optimal for each slot. Performance comes from overall gearsets in which you obtain the optimal mix of stats:
Haste > Accuracy> Atk/str > double attack

While you may be able to fit dennali in and still keep capped haste you are not fully using the resources at your disposal to optimize your gearset. Example:

Usu head + Aurore gloves + Usu legs
Total: Still capped haste
12 str
5 dex
10 atk
7 accuracy

Vs what you're doing now:
Denali + Usu gloves(I'm guessing) +BH
Total: capped haste
Zero STR
15 Dex
10 accuracy
3 attack

Now lets compare the two:
Set1: +12 str, +10 attack vs 7dex 3 accuracy

Assuming you are not using usu gloves your current set isnt even debatably close to what I just listed.

Look for how to play around with different slots and maintain capped haste but maximize the other stats.

I agree there, and would do it, but don't enjoy Salvage, and don't have any of the pieces, so am fully using the resources at my disposal. I am pretty much saying.. when my Ursine is done, and I have Poise, I am going to change from W Turban to Denali because I already have Denali, can work on better gear for it afterwards, but I see it kind of pointless at the moment as updates are coming.
 Phoenix.Excelior
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-08-31 22:51:19
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Guffy said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Ramuh.Guffy said:
I think I will be using Denali Bonnet on Monk once I get Poise Shoes and use Foot Work. With Poise (5%), B Haidate (5%), Black Belt (12%), and Denali Bonnet (4%) I reach haste cap and the 1% extra from Turban isn't needed anymore, I think this is a situation where Denali Bonnet is better than W Turban.
People need to stop looking at gear as which piece is optimal for each slot. Performance comes from overall gearsets in which you obtain the optimal mix of stats: Haste > Accuracy> Atk/str > double attack While you may be able to fit dennali in and still keep capped haste you are not fully using the resources at your disposal to optimize your gearset. Example: Usu head + Aurore gloves + Usu legs Total: Still capped haste 12 str 5 dex 10 atk 7 accuracy Vs what you're doing now: Denali + Usu gloves(I'm guessing) +BH Total: capped haste Zero STR 15 Dex 10 accuracy 3 attack Now lets compare the two: Set1: +12 str, +10 attack vs 7dex 3 accuracy Assuming you are not using usu gloves your current set isnt even debatably close to what I just listed. Look for how to play around with different slots and maintain capped haste but maximize the other stats.
I agree there, and would do it, but don't enjoy Salvage, and don't have any of the pieces, so am fully using the resources at my disposal. I am pretty much saying.. when my Ursine is done, and I have Poise, I am going to change from W Turban to Denali because I already have Denali, can work on better gear for it afterwards, but I see it kind of pointless at the moment as updates are coming.

I appologize, I was using what you had said as more of an example even though it wasnt some horrible gear choice in your case.
 Shiva.Darkmacabre
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Darkmacabre 2010-08-31 23:23:37
Link | Citer | R

As it was stated before...

Turban > Denali Bonnet

/thread
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-08-31 23:24:20
Link | Citer | R

Anyone who claims to be skilled, should atlest know how to dress themselves. Just saying.
[+]
 Cerberus.Quipto
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2010-09-01 01:45:09
Link | Citer | R

Hey, I use denali bonnet!!

...for holy bolts >.>
[+]
 Fenrir.Richi
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Richie
By Fenrir.Richi 2010-09-01 08:54:32
Link | Citer | R

I'd use bonnet in ballista if I had one.
 Leviathan.Niniann
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-09-01 08:55:16
Link | Citer | R

CAN'T WE STOP THIS NONSENSE.

Thank you.
First Page 2 3 ... 11 12 13