First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-04-18 20:35:21
Link | Citer | R

rainlab said:
Bismarck.Dracondria said:
I still think being offended by /check is ridiculous, regardless of what country you're from.

That's easy to say when your perspective is limited to a narrow scope of one culture. I'm not saying that to belittle you in any way. I'm just saying that people from multi-cultural backgrounds would likely disagree with you strongly. It just so happens that most people on this forum are on your side.

I'm half Australian as well and they're very different from Swedes and I bet you don't know the first thing about how Swedes act. Stop assuming so much.
[+]
By rainlab 2010-04-18 20:39:58
Link | Citer | R

I'm half Australian as well and they're very different from Swedes and I bet you don't know the first thing about how Swedes act. Stop assuming so much.

My apologies for the assumptions. I'm not sure how your background would help you understand how the Japanese would/should feel about being randomly examined, but your point is valid.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-04-18 20:40:07
Link | Citer | R

Anyway, I'm done with this. It's late and I'm going to bed.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-04-18 20:41:23
Link | Citer | R

Just fyi, Swedes are normally very non-confrontational and rarely speak up if offended.
By rainlab 2010-04-18 20:44:59
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Gimmeurselables said:
Most people are on his side because QQing about being examined on a game is completely ridiculous.

"QQing" about being laughed at by one Japanese player who was obviously trying to be a jerk is no different.

If you read my post a few posts back, you would see that we no longer have anything left to discuss.

I've stated my honest opinion on the matter and I've taken yours into account. Nothing has changed but I'm glad we've gotten it out.
 Fenrir.Shindo
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Shindo
By Fenrir.Shindo 2010-04-18 20:47:45
Link | Citer | R

I will check their bazaar first I guess as a sort of excuse, then look at their equipment. I normally only check anyways if it's a piece of equipment that I'm not familiar with. Either way, they can never know the difference.
[+]
By rainlab 2010-04-18 20:51:05
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Oddin said:
Ninja Edit: Yippie Kayay Mother ***.

Btw, I believe it's "Yippee Ki-Yay." If you want to be a wise-***, by all means, do it right.
 Sylph.Oddin
Serveur: Sylph
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-04-18 21:48:42
Link | Citer | R

rainlab said:
Sylph.Oddin said:

Btw, I believe it's "Yippee Ki-Yay." If you want to be a wise-***, by all means, do it right.

Ok wise-*** time then.
rainlab said:
I still think being offended by /check is ridiculous, regardless of what country you're from.

That's easy to say when your perspective is limited to a narrow scope of one culture. I'm not saying that to belittle you in any way. I'm just saying that people from multi-cultural backgrounds would likely disagree with you strongly. It just so happens that most people on this forum are on your side.

If you want to talk narrow-minded, let's talk about your point of view for a minute. There's this really simple task of going to your Menu then selecting Config > Chat Filters > then all the way at the bottom. I believe it's lvl 2 or 3 System message (/check message). Click it. Congratulations. Problem solved.

Oh and before you come back with the "Well why should we have to accommodate your whims!", because you people are the only ones bitching about it. Get over yourselves already. It's a god damn game. If a stupid message in a video game causes that much harm, you have mental issues and need to seek a medical professional.
[+]
 Hades.Stefanos
Serveur: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2010-04-18 21:55:44
Link | Citer | R

rainlab said:
Sylph.Oddin said:

You're both wrong because you didn't have a pic of Bruce Willis to go with the saying.

There.
By ElSpiffo 2010-04-18 21:57:04
Link | Citer | R

I just /panic at people that check me. It provides me amusement.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Sketchzter
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Sketchzter 2010-04-18 21:58:09
Link | Citer | R

Going to throw my two cents in, since I'm currently not doing anything in FFXI. (go go boredom!)

Anyways, before playing this oh so wonderful game, I used to play Everquest. I mainly bring Everquest up because FFXI is very similiar to it, or at least as close as you can get without actually being Everquest.

On to my main point. In Everquest, it was considered extremely rude to "/check" someone's gear without asking beforehand. It was just the normal etiquette in that game. Personally, It didn't matter to me if people examined my gear on that game, but a majority of the Everquest population would get unhappy if you examined them.

Well, when I came to FFXI, I was amused that /checking was perfectly fine and normal. I thought it was better that way, to be honest. It was sort of aggravating being told you were going to be GM'd for accidently "right clicking" someone (In Everquest, right-clicking on the person would examine their gear). Most of all though, it made me wonder why people would get so worked up over something as trivial as being examined.

The answer was pretty obvious. People choose to get aggravated over something so trivial. It doesn't matter where you're from. It just depends on the person. If they choose to get worked up over it, just let them. Just as they can easily ignore the simple message, you can just as well ignore their reaction to your /checking them.

Now personally, I never /check people. If I want to /check someone, I always ask beforehand; Unless they have a bazaar, ofcourse. I don't really care what types of gear other people have. If I'm examined, I don't mind. It's pretty flattering actually. It means someone is curious about how you gear yourself.

[+]
 Sylph.Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-04-18 22:11:18
Link | Citer | R

Hades.Stefanos said:
rainlab said:
Sylph.Oddin said:

You're both wrong because you didn't have a pic of Bruce Willis to go with the saying.

There.

Better?
 Kujata.Akeda
Serveur: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-04-18 22:12:09
Link | Citer | R

What was it you said to me earlier? "Yippie-kay-ya..."
By rainlab 2010-04-18 22:21:11
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Oddin said:
Oh and before you come back with the "Well why should we have to accommodate your whims!", because you people are the only ones bitching about it. Get over yourselves already. It's a god damn game. If a stupid message in a video game causes that much harm, you have mental issues and need to seek a medical professional.

Are you a telemarketer?

I ask because it's people like you who necessitated a Do-Not-Call Registry. Self-serving asshats felt that all public phone numbers were fair game for abuse.

People who are passively being examined should not have to do a thing. They're doing absolutely nothing wrong, after all. And they also have the right to know which asshats are examining them so they can /blist or whatnot afterwards.

I hope you didn't revive this discussion for sake of retaliation. Because that would be sad.
 Sylph.Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-04-18 22:30:21
Link | Citer | R

rainlab said:
Sylph.Oddin said:

Are you a telemarketer?

I ask because it's people like you who necessitated a Do-Not-Call Registry. Self-serving asshats felt that all public phone numbers were fair game for abuse.

People who are passively being examined should not have to do a thing. They're doing absolutely nothing wrong, after all. And they also have the right to know which asshats are examining them so they can /blist or whatnot afterwards.

I hope you didn't revive this discussion for sake of retaliation. Because that would be sad.

Yes because calling someone and wanting to sit down and go over your long-distance carrier is the exact same thing as "So and so examined you."... Stop while you're not ahead. You're making yourself look like an even bigger moron than you already are.

People /checking others are also doing absolutely nothing wrong providing they aren't doing it multiple times in a row on the same person. Please explain to me how knowing what you have equipped at any given time is a malicious act upon you? I have every right to know if the person I just invited to my party is actually going to take my time seriously or if they're running around in lvl 12 gear still. I'm looking forward to your response.
[+]
By rainlab 2010-04-18 22:50:09
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Oddin said:
I have every right to know if the person I just invited to my party is actually going to take my time seriously or if they're running around in lvl 12 gear still.

Did you read the entire thread? You really should if you want to make a valid point.

I specifically stated that there are circumstances where /checks are warranted. Among many others, sizing up the competition when camping an NM would be one, and making sure an invited party member isn't a complete nub would be another. Would I do it even under these circumstances? No, because I don't need to. I judge players by how they play, not by what they wear.

Let me stress again that I'm talking about random examines that are undoubtedly unnecessary. The ones for which the only argument would be... "I pay subscription. I'll do what I want!"

Sylph.Oddin said:
Please explain to me how knowing what you have equipped at any given time is a malicious act upon you?

Who said it was malicious? I simply stated that it can be regarded as being rude. I did not know that telemarketers were calling with malicious intents either.

Your inability to understand what I am saying doesn't make me a "moron." It makes you one. After all, I'm not the one jumping in and cracking a wise comment just to botch it up.
 Asura.Karbuncle
Serveur: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-04-18 22:53:14
Link | Citer | R

Maybe this has or has not been brought up.

But you can totally filter "examines".

Just saying

Its 3 Words.
In a Video Game.
With hundreds of thousands of people.
Who can all examine you.
That can be FILTERED.
Its. Bound. to. Happen.

Its like going to a Nascar event and being pissed that theres rednecks there.
[+]
 Alexander.Nepharite
Serveur: Alexander
user: nepharite
By Alexander.Nepharite 2010-04-18 22:56:10
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Karbuncle said:
Its 3 Words.
In a Video Game.
Who can all examine you.
That can be FILTERED.
Its. Bound. to. Happen.

That is the best way I've seen this put.
[+]
By rainlab 2010-04-18 22:56:21
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Karbuncle said:
Its 3 Words.
In a Video Game.
Who can all examine you.
That can be FILTERED.
Its. Bound. to. Happen.

Cerberus.Unfrgvnhate
Serveur: Cerberus
user: hatekhaos
By Cerberus.Unfrgvnhate 2010-04-18 22:59:52
Link | Citer | R

Bored.. standing in WG.. *** it check every single motherf**ker that passes by just to piss them off. Especially those ppl with nice gear. I likes watching what I cant have. thanks for the show and keeping me entertained.
I should stand in Rolanberry fields one day bazzaring something and call a GM on ppl who check me more than once ....
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-04-18 23:00:50
Link | Citer | R

rainlab said:
Asura.Karbuncle said:
Its 3 Words.
In a Video Game.
Who can all examine you.
That can be FILTERED.
Its. Bound. to. Happen.

no no, do go on.

You can filter the message, or blist the person

Theres preventative measures to such acts, so if it does so offend you you can easily prevent from doing so by checking a box in a menu.

"Randomly checking people" is a habit most people formed simply from checking bazaars or looking for cool Augmented Armor.

Theres a million reasons to examine someone, and if someones doing it to "peeve" you if you will, that is a GM'able offense if it persists repeatedly by the same person.

Edit: Furthermore I can't understand why if someone does so find 3 words offensive thanks to, whatever... that they would refuse to take the only sure-fire preventative measure to resolve the issue once and for all, (Filtering), and instead *** or complain about it happening.

(note this particular part may or may not apply to you)
[+]
By rainlab 2010-04-18 23:03:40
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Karbuncle said:

Just saying

Its 3 Words.
In a Video Game.
Who can all examine you.
That can be FILTERED.
Its. Bound. to. Happen.

What happened to the "Gene Pool" comment?

...and which three words were you referring to?
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2010-04-18 23:04:47
Link | Citer | R

rainlab said:
Asura.Karbuncle said:

Just saying

Its 3 Words.
In a Video Game.
Who can all examine you.
That can be FILTERED.
Its. Bound. to. Happen.

What happened to the "Gene Pool" comment?

...and which three words were you referring to?

Found it slightly too mean.

and..

"____ Examines you"
 Caitsith.Linear
Serveur: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-04-18 23:04:58
Link | Citer | R

??? examines you.

EDIT: Damn.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-04-18 23:05:09
Link | Citer | R

<blah> Examines you.

took me a while to realise what he meant too.
 Sylph.Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-04-18 23:06:20
Link | Citer | R

rainlab said:
Sylph.Oddin said:
I have every right to know if the person I just invited to my party is actually going to take my time seriously or if they're running around in lvl 12 gear still.

Did you read the entire thread? You really should if you want to make a valid point.

I specifically stated that there are circumstances where /checks are warranted. Among many others, sizing up the competition when camping an NM would be one, and making sure an invited party member isn't a complete nub would be another. Would I do it even under these circumstances? No, because I don't need to. I judge players by how they play, not by what they wear.

Let me stress again that I'm talking about random examines that are undoubtedly unnecessary. The ones for which the only argument would be... "I pay subscription. I'll do what I want!"

Sylph.Oddin said:
Please explain to me how knowing what you have equipped at any given time is a malicious act upon you?

Who said it was malicious? I simply stated that it can be regarded as being rude. I did not know that telemarketers were calling with malicious intents either.

Your inability to understand what I am saying doesn't make me a "moron." It makes you one. After all, I'm not the one jumping in and cracking a wise comment just to botch it up.

There you go holding on to that telemarketers comparison again. It's a bad comparison. Let it go.

You believe /checking people for the sake of /checking people is "rude". I'm trying to figure out how it's "rude" hence why I believed you were trying to seem like it was some sort of attack upon people because they were being checked. How in the world is it rude?

All it is and all it ever was was a power play. People want to have some sort of dominance over someone else. You can't check me! You didn't ask my permission! That's crap a baby would do. It has nothing to do with culture or creed. You want to be offended because someone looked at you in a game? I can't stress the "game" part enough. You act like someone is going through your underwear drawer or hiking up your skirt to have a look.
[+]
By rainlab 2010-04-18 23:06:27
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Karbuncle said:
and..

"____ Examines you"

Oh ok, I was lost there for a moment. Thanks for the clarification.
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2010-04-18 23:13:12
Link | Citer | R

Kujata.Akeda said:

What was it you said to me earlier? "Yippie-kay-ya..."

"Boy I hope that's not a hostage"
 Nui
By Nui 2010-04-18 23:13:54
Link | Citer | R

I hate people when you check they start to switch gears right away!

Thanks god for blinkmenot.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Axle
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2010-04-18 23:14:53
Link | Citer | R

Chat
Magic
Abilities
Items
Trade
Check

its a basic command, if you don't /check then why use the rest?
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13