Question about Thf
 Ramuh.Dasva
Serveur: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-13 16:13:28
Link | Citer | R

Fairy.Vegetto said:
Same way you can't say you're going to get claim on a decent number of w/e you're farming because there is someone else there farming against you.
You have no idea lol. I used to farm beast blood and tree cuttings and moss. Yeah I had so much RMT and even real people competetion sometimes it was rediculous. A few there could easily cut my profits in half or worse.

Though that like pretty much all good npcable farming is dead thanks to SE. Which is kinda the problem with thf farming.

The thing that made it good was getting alot of cheap stuff much faster than everyone else. But doing ah stuff kinda gluts the market and often will cause things to return especially with how most markets are pretty much at equilibrium.

And doing high cost stuff generally means fighting things with horrible droprates or things that are really hard where even if you could solo it on thf it would take forever and have pretty good drop rates anyways
 Fairy.Vegetto
Serveur: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-03-13 16:16:39
Link | Citer | R

I used to crack fiend on them beast bloods. I had a thf friend who used to do them, too. We'd end up w/ the same amount in the same amount of time. She'd obviously have to kill less, but as mnk, I was killing faster, so we about evened out.
[+]
 Shiva.Lordtip
Serveur: Shiva
user: lordtip
By Shiva.Lordtip 2010-03-13 16:18:48
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Ruizutatakau said:
Great for PTs as you near 70 invites go dead for your lv so its sync, solo campaign etc etc to 75, you wont get merit pt invites and if its just for farming its so-so of course there will be things you cant farm cause on THF because you simply cant kill certain mobs like you can on another job but w/e you will be able to farm obviously you'll do better than any other job drop rate wise with that TH, and since in the updates this year at some point the THF update will have some form of enhancement to TH it is worth lvling up, fun in PTs, profitable and useful in endgame. Ding! 75THF this morning.

Congrats^^
 Ragnarok.Blindphleb
Serveur: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Blindphleb 2010-03-13 16:18:49
Link | Citer | R

Fairy.Vegetto said:
I used to crack fiend on them beast bloods. I had a thf friend who used to do them, too. We'd end up w/ the same amount in the same amount of time. She'd obviously have to kill less, but as mnk, I was killing faster, so we about evened out.
Is that how you funded a lot of you usu body? A friend of mine funded his ares's body primarily from those bloods.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-03-13 16:20:18
Link | Citer | R

Nah but it is how i started my "small fortune" at which point I'd buy currency for higher than ppl would pay in /shout, but would undercut rolanmart, would still make 1-3k profit/coin depending on the day and just rinse repeat. made millions.
 Garuda.Maasahn
Serveur: Garuda
user: maasahn
By Garuda.Maasahn 2010-03-13 16:22:36
Link | Citer | R

and since in the updates this year at some point the THF update will have some form of enhancement to TH it is worth lvling up, 75THF this morning.
yes, im looking forward to that and looking forward to having more lvls of bst!! and congrats.
By Lilla 2010-03-13 16:28:48
Link | Citer | R

thf profitable, well, depends what you look to farm, spending hrs or days trying for that high priced item, that there are tons of others trying to get lowers ur chances, very simple philosophy, what sells fast to make room in the AH to sell more stuff i think over powers that high priced item, you run laps around the west sart. mountain by the OP for beechips, honey and silk will make you gil, that is a given, camping something for a high priced item with a bunch of others is like playing the lottery, you may get it, but if you farmed simple stuff, would you have made as much, more or less?
 Pandemonium.Liquidz
Serveur: Pandemonium
user: liquidz
By Pandemonium.Liquidz 2010-03-13 16:40:21
Link | Citer | R

Fairy.Usua said:
My thf is only lvl 18 and I know the whole deal with THF being good for farming and such, but before I put time into lvling this job I want to know on average just how much more profitable is this job than others?

If we were a couple of years ago I would tell you that it worth it for NMs and farming, now it's a totally different world.

you wont get merit pt invites

I hate that... because there is so many bad warriors and other jobs that will always get plenty of invites before you even if you can outdamage them(if you are good). Not saying I can outdamage a good player with standard DD merit job, but I can certainly outdamage a lot of people who get merit party invite before me.

Fairy.Techlife said:
It's hard to lvl thf coz atleast 65% of thf's suck like hell

That's right, it always been a problem. Thief is one of those job that is a bit more technical and where you can get a lot by doing good gear swapping. I think 65% might even be too low of a percentage. =/
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-03-13 17:13:00
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Zanno said:
Shiva.Lordtip said:
Depends what you plan on farming, Better to have a craft your farming items for, cause farming alone doesnt make you very much gil. If you plan on fighting anything that checks above Tough, better bring a healer with you =P

I disagree. Usually you make more gil selling the ingreds you farm for your craft than the final product itself.

And solo T's as THF is hardly that bad.

Not from my experiences, well based on the fact that I pick things I can regularly HQ.

Cockatrice Meat ~9k
Wild Onion ~10k
Fire Crystal x12(/cluster) ~ 1.2k
For a total of ~20.2k

However, if I turn those into Meat Mithkabobs, for one stack of ingredients I usually end up with HQ1 about 5/12 times and HQ2 3/12, HQ3 doesn't happen enough to be figured into this, and I find that breaks rarely happen with just a single stack of ingredients when I'm that far above cap.. So, that's:

1.5 stacks of Meat Cheifkabobs ~15k
7 stacks of Meat Mithkabobs ~28k
For a total of ~43k
 Caitsith.Lerond
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Lerond
By Caitsith.Lerond 2010-03-13 17:44:21
Link | Citer | R

Thf is a fun job handy to have for NMs you need evasion to tank etc.

I have thf lvld myself but i did wonder how much gil could have been farmed in the time it took to lvl thf to 75 just going /thf (i see you have drk/thf very capable up to like EM or so with npc?).

Just a thought before you get commited to it GL ^^.
 Seraph.Chasuro
Serveur: Seraph
user: Chasuro
By Seraph.Chasuro 2010-03-13 17:53:26
Link | Citer | R

Fairy.Usua said:
My thf is only lvl 18 and I know the whole deal with THF being good for farming and such, but before I put time into lvling this job I want to know on average just how much more profitable is this job than others?

Sorry if someone already said this.

Gilfinder
Treasure Hunter 4
Skeleton Keys

These are your thief tools for farming. You can get a free skeleton belt from a quest in metalworks once a week. It can be slow, but it sure is nice to have these tools available to you.

PT's past bird camps can be tough to come by, or you can just make your own pt's. People get stuck on only ONE way of pt'ing which requires all sam's a healer and brd. I make my own pt's, also got pretty good xp from campaign.
 Bismarck.Ruizutatakau
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Ruizutatakau 2010-03-13 18:05:50
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Lordtip said:
Great for PTs as you near 70 invites go dead for your lv so its sync, solo campaign etc etc to 75, you wont get merit pt invites and if its just for farming its so-so of course there will be things you cant farm cause on THF because you simply cant kill certain mobs like you can on another job but w/e you will be able to farm obviously you'll do better than any other job drop rate wise with that TH, and since in the updates this year at some point the THF update will have some form of enhancement to TH it is worth lvling up, fun in PTs, profitable and useful in endgame. Ding! 75THF this morning.

Congrats^^
Thank you. :)
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Serveur: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-03-13 18:15:37
Link | Citer | R

Congrats from me as well :) THF is such an amazingly fun job, miss mine.
 Pandemonium.Tygon
Serveur: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Tygon 2010-03-13 18:30:20
Link | Citer | R

Campaign battled me thf from 60-75 with flag up whole time. Invites was slow....
 Fairy.Usua
user: Usua
By Fairy.Usua 2010-03-13 23:20:06
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Slipispsycho said:
Carbuncle.Zanno said:
Shiva.Lordtip said:
Depends what you plan on farming, Better to have a craft your farming items for, cause farming alone doesnt make you very much gil. If you plan on fighting anything that checks above Tough, better bring a healer with you =P

I disagree. Usually you make more gil selling the ingreds you farm for your craft than the final product itself.

And solo T's as THF is hardly that bad.

Not from my experiences, well based on the fact that I pick things I can regularly HQ.

Cockatrice Meat ~9k
Wild Onion ~10k
Fire Crystal x12(/cluster) ~ 1.2k
For a total of ~20.2k

However, if I turn those into Meat Mithkabobs, for one stack of ingredients I usually end up with HQ1 about 5/12 times and HQ2 3/12, HQ3 doesn't happen enough to be figured into this, and I find that breaks rarely happen with just a single stack of ingredients when I'm that far above cap.. So, that's:

1.5 stacks of Meat Cheifkabobs ~15k
7 stacks of Meat Mithkabobs ~28k
For a total of ~43k
lol my crafting skills are gimp though, 30 alch and 1 or lower of every thing else. Though I do need to lvl cooking if not for anything other than my jug pets.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-13 23:24:47
Link | Citer | R

Pandemonium.Tygon said:
Campaign battled me thf from 60-75 with flag up whole time. Invites was slow....
Lol about the same for me. Not an invite
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-03-13 23:28:11
Link | Citer | R

make ur own pt
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-13 23:34:30
Link | Citer | R

I've had people say thf no thanks to invites. And if you anon seen them drop when they find out. Not like people don't get suspicous of anons inviting anyways
 Gilgamesh.Andras
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: Andras
By Gilgamesh.Andras 2010-03-13 23:36:01
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Dasva said:
I've had people say thf no thanks to invites. And if you anon seen them drop when they find out. Not like people don't get suspicous of anons inviting anyways

geez, i actually like having thfs in my partys, if they do it right they can deal really good dmg, but sometimes u get thfs who cant get anything right so i can see how that happens
 Carbuncle.Axle
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2010-03-13 23:47:01
Link | Citer | R

20-60 i qufim'd
60-75 i campaign'd with flag up.... 2 bird pts in my career

Be prepared to solo or sync lots.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-13 23:48:16
Link | Citer | R

Yeah I was getting pts at earlier 60s cause there was this pld that couldn't keep hate so he wanted me and well I meritted dagger on rdm so I got DE like 2 lvls early and when I convinced them to set up for SATADE I easily out DD'd everyone. But I had to take a break from thf and when I came back fail
 Fairy.Usua
user: Usua
By Fairy.Usua 2010-03-14 01:24:39
Link | Citer | R

Eew now i really don't think I want to lvl it, soloing a job like that would be mad slow. Maybe if I subbed bst it could happen but still, and no way I'm gonna go 20-60 in qufim, may as well smn burn it at that rate.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-14 01:55:43
Link | Citer | R

Can get decent xp in campaign. Thf can put out some decent dmg.

And thf can solo ep/dcs for FOV pretty quickly too and easy to survive with all that evasion
 Bismarck.Awezomeos
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Awezomeos
By Bismarck.Awezomeos 2010-03-14 03:19:52
Link | Citer | R

I did not read the whole thing but i would to throw in THF Is useful for Farmin,Treasure Picking ,KeyHunting, Treasure Casket Farming and Opening and also good for Mining, Logging and Harvesting. Flee Really saves Time, Hide saves often my life and any Solo NM you can do with THF is worth to do with it . Butr i recomment getting the level 20 movement speed+ boots , and also DNC/BST/WHM/BLM/NIN as subs.
 Ramuh.Tousou
user: Toufu
By Ramuh.Tousou 2010-03-14 03:56:54
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
That's right, it always been a problem. Thief is one of those job that is a bit more technical and where you can get a lot by doing good gear swapping. I think 65% might even be too low of a percentage. =/

I'm in agreement with most Thieves being subpar (Myself having been one). It's not something I'd ever recommend as a first job, or even as a job that you don't have pre-geared. I especially (To OP) don't recommend it if you're not going to actually play it.

Since THFs "can't DD" the invites are rare, even at lower levels. In order to become a "Decent THF" you have to spend a lot of money getting gear, or have key pieces of R/E gear ready for use. Personally, I found it incredibly difficult to get even a Rap Harness and Swift Belt.

However, if you merely want to farm, you can AB or sync *** it to 45 and farm Honey and Chips in Giddeus. It's relaxing and I don't see many people out there these days. You also save money from not having to use Shihei.

Other than that, just stick with BST since you enjoy it and spam xxNMs with friends/LS members/crazies.
 Seraph.Gojira
Serveur: Seraph
user: Gojira
By Seraph.Gojira 2010-03-14 03:57:58
Link | Citer | R

I <3 THF =P

THF's my favorite Job and it will be the first job I fully merit. I didn't have much trouble getting invites and I leveled it to 75 in a decent amount of time. I've had this character for just a little over a year and I just dinged my 4th 75 tonight (75 WAR in campaign battle >.>) and I got THF to 75 way faster than WAR. As far as meriting goes you're basically gonna have to have another job(s) that are more likely to get invites. I chose COR to be my merit *** and WAR for DD. As for events I usually got stuck going as any other job but THF.

I do decent/good damage depending on what I'm fighting but I hardly ever die soloing stuff and if I do its because I am *** off and thought it would be funny. I've never had a merit party invite on THF which sucks because I'd like to see what kind of damage I can do. As far as merits go Dagger 8/8, Crits 4/4 Triple Atk 4/5, Feint Lvl 1 (gimp!) Ambush Lvl 1 (also gimp!), Assassin's Chg. Lv1 1. I've also put a lot of work into getting the gear I'd like, and I'm still working on it.

As far as farming goes, I'm lazy as *** LOL... I could make a lot more gil if I put forth the effort but I'm just flat out lazy. I can make decent money w/out even trying. TH4 helps but some people would argue mine is a myth LOL. But my TH has a tendency to be on the selfish side and only gets stuff for me =) which is, of course, all that matters =P

I wouldn't say I kill slow though. I think I do fairly well to be honest. I could use a little more equipment/merits to make my THF even better. I guess the best way I can put it is your THF is only gonna be as good as what you put into it. Party invites are gonna come slow at times but everyone/SE suck SAM's *** so if you get tired of the long periods of time without invites level SAM because its not a hard job and anyone can do OK at it >.>.

But yeah GO GO THF =P It was/is worth the effort IMO so obviously I would suggest leveling it. But... If all you want to do is farm with it you might as well just /THF and save yourself the trouble TH1 is good enough for farming ***.

Ragnarok.Faiye
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: xFaiyex
By Ragnarok.Faiye 2010-03-14 04:47:43
Link | Citer | R

Fairy.Usua said:
Garuda.Maasahn said:
Fairy.Vegetto said:
If you were leveling it ONLY for farming, I'd assume so.
i would have to agree, but i enjoy playing thf in xp once in a blue moon when i get an invite on it or decide to make a pt with it.
Eew it's hard to get invites?

Actually invites on THF are not that bad, I've had a much easier time on THF getting invites than I had lvling DRK to 75. Most of your parties will be sync parties for Colibri (at various lvls).
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-14 04:50:19
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Faiye said:
Fairy.Usua said:
Garuda.Maasahn said:
Fairy.Vegetto said:
If you were leveling it ONLY for farming, I'd assume so.
i would have to agree, but i enjoy playing thf in xp once in a blue moon when i get an invite on it or decide to make a pt with it.
Eew it's hard to get invites?
Actually invites on THF are not that bad, I've had a much easier time on THF getting invites than I had lvling DRK to 75. Most of your parties will be sync parties for Colibri (at various lvls).
Maybe for you... though I finished before lvl sync I think.
 Fairy.Darkei
user: Darkei
By Fairy.Darkei 2010-03-14 05:04:38
Link | Citer | R

THF is "God" in campaing if you know how use.
and 2~4k xp/battle/half hour
 Asura.Calatilla
Serveur: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2010-03-14 06:41:17
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Tousou said:
Since THFs "can't DD" the invites are rare, even at lower levels. In order to become a "Decent THF" you have to spend a lot of money getting gear, or have key pieces of R/E gear ready for use. Personally, I found it incredibly difficult to get even a Rap Harness and Swift Belt.

Who says thf cant DD. Yes you need to invest in gear to be able to do good dmg with it but the same can be said for all DD jobs.

Would a sam with noob gear be accepted into a party just because they`re a sam? i doubt it