Forum » FFXI » NMs » Soolo Genbu
Soolo Genbu
 Ramuh.Dasva
Serveur: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-27 18:48:27
Link | Citer | R

Are you serious? You should be able to damn near kill a DC imp with 1 RR... I knew a guy that who solod whm to 75 before FOV campaign or even aht urghan
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-27 18:48:29
Link | Citer | R

What you can do in order to practice and do it cheap is to get a hickory shield and head out and practice on Gration. He's really nothing like Genbu, but I think that soloing him as RDM/NIN will take about the same amount of time. Me and a friend used to duo him in little over an hour, both going RDM/NIN.

So even if Genbu and Gration are far from the same, the tactic in soloing them is about the same really. Takes time, focus and conseve MP.

Just a thought of how you can practice cheap, and if you get lucky you can get the Tatami Shield as well.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-27 18:57:19
Link | Citer | R

Well as far as cheap and easy to get I'd say Anataboga is a NM similar to genbu. Now it moves at normal movement speed but is easy to gravity. But mostly it's a mob that likes to cast alot that you can take to a decent kite area.

And you should take advantage of it's castings but run away from spells. No real drops I think but gets you a seal so you can get a T3 ZNM pop
 Bismarck.Rinako
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Rinako
By Bismarck.Rinako 2010-02-27 19:01:47
Link | Citer | R

Difference between Gration and Genbu is Gration moves faster and also intimidates a lot. Genbu is like 10 times easier in comparison but it'd be good to practice on at least on a level of high scale NMs.

If you don't have the patience to DoT a NM for 1-3hrs though Genbu prolly isn't as fun to solo as you may think.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-27 19:02:39
Link | Citer | R

Thats what I meant with gration as well, stops alot and casts. Easy to land gravity/bind. Just the damn intimidation thats annoying lol.

Just thought it would make a good practice for someone not used to spend 2-3 hours soloing an annoying NM. And hickory shield doesnt really cost anything, especially if you have ww lv or know someone who has it. If you get HQ shield Tatami is 100% as well. so you'll make ~300 k from just practicing. Enough to buy 1/2 pop for genbu maybe?
 Bismarck.Rinako
By Bismarck.Rinako 2010-02-27 19:06:00
Link | Citer | R

Yeah Gration would be so much easier if it didn't intimidate lol :D would take less time too
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-27 19:13:32
Link | Citer | R

Oh yea, and randomly go unclaimed as well lol.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Serveur: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-02-27 19:14:36
Link | Citer | R

I've never personally solo'd Genbu, but is he really 10x easier than Gration? Does he just curl over and let you kill him or something?
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-27 19:17:51
Link | Citer | R

Genbu... yeah he pretty much lets you kill him. I mean sure he cast on you and stuff but it shouldn't melee you even without shadows or grav/bind.

I've seen vids of just about every job soloing genbu. From the normalish nin/rdms, rdm/nins, blms and mnks to rngs or thf etc. A mob with normal cast speed a crappy 2hr and perma gravity... yeah and it runs out of mp after a few hours though it's auto-refresh will mean it will still cast drown lol
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-27 19:21:13
Link | Citer | R

I don't think genbu is 10x easier. But according to wiki gration has alot more HP than genbu, and also the intimidation from gration really sux when solo. The possibility of getting links while soloing gration also adds up.

Just the fact that if you solo genbu you dont have to worry about other mobs/ppl but can just focus on him makes it a bit easier, same with his slow movement speed.

Just my opinion though.
 Remora.Jax
Serveur: Remora
user: Jax
By Remora.Jax 2010-02-27 19:29:03
Link | Citer | R

If you can't solo Genbu you can't solo anything. I can't think of an easier NM to solo. Just Bio and run away. He innately has gravity. Why would you even care about gravitying it? There is no special strategy. You just bore him (and yourself) to death.

Also, to the OP, if you are so concerned about needing specific gear/merits/strategy for Genbu, you are unlikely to "get lucky" on Olla. I would put Olla above Despot, Zip, Ulli, and SC in difficulty to solo. To be honest, you would probably be better off farming a Despot and trading for an Olla gem until you get some more experience.
 Bismarck.Rinako
By Bismarck.Rinako 2010-02-27 19:45:48
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
I've never personally solo'd Genbu, but is he really 10x easier than Gration? Does he just curl over and let you kill him or something?

imo yes, I mean really as someone said before, Bio run to the other end afk for a bit bio run back the other way. There's really nothing easier, with SS up without Barwater Waterga III won't even come close to killing you.

I mean I know some ls have wiped to Genbu, i mean you have to be HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE to but it has happened but if you can put your character on auto run, you can solo genbu. pure and simple.

The only time i can see someone actually dying to genbu solo is if they let it hit them and he does waterga lol Cause genbu hits like a train
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Serveur: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-02-27 20:01:46
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
But according to wiki gration has alot more HP than genbu, and also the intimidation from gration really sux when solo. The possibility of getting links while soloing gration also adds up.

If you kite him around the Riverne entrance, you can't get links! Gration has a lot more HP but he is also weak to both Poison2 and Bio2/3 which can make a big difference.

Intimidation is annoying but shouldn't kill you since you should never need to Bind/Grav him anyway~ irritating I agree however!

Not really trying to contradict you here, just I can't imagine much stuff being easier than Gration.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-27 20:41:35
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Quote:
But according to wiki gration has alot more HP than genbu, and also the intimidation from gration really sux when solo. The possibility of getting links while soloing gration also adds up.

If you kite him around the Riverne entrance, you can't get links! Gration has a lot more HP but he is also weak to both Poison2 and Bio2/3 which can make a big difference.

Intimidation is annoying but shouldn't kill you since you should never need to Bind/Grav him anyway~ irritating I agree however!

Not really trying to contradict you here, just I can't imagine much stuff being easier than Gration.

I know =P

I have gotten link 1 time, and that was when taking him to kiting area. Someone else must have been killing gigas around there and I got unlucky with respawn on it. But you're right, once you get to kiting area there's zero chance of links.

I've usually tossed grav on him when its time for converting, just to be safe.
Serveur: Fairy
user: ramone89
By Fairy.Benevolentone 2010-02-27 21:33:44
Link | Citer | R

Ok well just as some advice, Genbu is literally the easiest thing in this entire game to kill. -ga's, flood, w/e just make it that much easier. Just run. Run, run, run. And /sch works very well. Also don't cast blizzard. Use thunder. It is better.
 Pandemonium.Anookulchandra
Serveur: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Anookulchandra 2010-02-28 09:31:14
Link | Citer | R

Lol who the hell still solo's genbu? he's not hard... and it takes time. you're better off just grabbing a buddy and duoing or trioing for faster results. and /sh items if you don't want or need... people will thank you.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-03-01 22:22:27
Link | Citer | R

After beeing in this thread me and a friend went duo him (RDM/NIN x2), mostly for fun but I also wanted Zenith mitts for my blm.

Duo took about 1 hour, little more maybe. And since we were duoing there was no problem spamming Thunder III all the time really. Although we did this on earth day so my Thunder III's were doing 50 dmg most of the time with the occasional 150-300 (I'm elvaan), my friend who is taru and have elemental magic merits did around 70 with the occasional 180-350.

I couldn't take hate of her so it was safe for me to rest whenever my lolMP pool ran out.

But yea it wouldnt have been any problem to solo him, just would take atleast 2 hours, probably more. Waterga didnt do more than 100~ dmg at most with stoneskin and barwater up. I would say merits/gear makes no differens, you can probably go there naked or in full mp gear and solo just as easy as if you have pimp gear and fully merited.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Onepenny
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: Onepenny
By Gilgamesh.Onepenny 2010-03-01 22:30:34
Link | Citer | R

to OP

all been said, its a very easy fight you can kill it almost anything /nin

but i guess you have a simpler way now, wait to be 99 and just hit it to death like yopu were killing a rabit in east runfare
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [138 days between previous and next post]
By Pandemonium.Anookulchandra 2010-07-17 13:59:37
Link | Citer | R

I know this thread is old as grass and all... just im bored and gonna repost on this... you're a dd rdm.. i don't know if your truly getting the idea of how kiting and dot are the ways of killing genbu.. also your grav won't land plain and simple. I got 8/8 enfeeb merits, and 2 wind accuracy merits and 320 enfeeb and sometimes mine doesn't land. And I won't even mention my int set up which you will need as well for grav to land. For poison who ever said to try poison eh it more than likely with your set up will never land ever. He is a water based mob and poison is a water based spell. (Also pop a cream puff if your gonna do it as it will help) You will want /nin as since as you said your a melee rdm. So I doubt you know how to kite /whm or /blm or /sch. Also bring a pair of powder boots with you if you don't have w.legs. Pop the boots then trade your items. And literally just bio him and stay just out of distance but just within distance for spells. Reason being is if he casts a flood your still within distance to get off a thunder and possibly a blizzard after if your feeling safe. If he does a -ga spell you are just able to run out of distance and wait it out. And bring as many antidotes as you can. You will need them as your gonna get hit with poison and it's dirty poison at that.
By Pandemonium.Anookulchandra 2010-07-17 14:00:40
Link | Citer | R

Couldn't help it I've never necro'd bump.... and also I've never double posted so it's like a super SIN!!!!!!!
 Shiva.Khimaira
Serveur: Shiva
user: Sindri
By Shiva.Khimaira 2010-07-17 14:23:57
Link | Citer | R

Just since it was already bumped, please get those level 15 Bar-spells anyways, they do more good than you know. Lmao @ Anookulch, you made me smile and its just after noon
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-07-17 14:37:34
Link | Citer | R

Why would you wanna gravity him anyway?

I've solo'd/duo'd him quite a few times, and I managed to land poison on him once lol, yay me.

easy as hell, but just as boring to solo him :/
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-07-17 14:54:49
Link | Citer | R

Pandemonium.Anookulchandra said:
also your grav won't land plain and simple.
Why...
Quote:
Also bring a pair of powder boots with you if you don't have w.legs.
We are talking about Genbu still... right?
 Fairy.Blackmist
Serveur: Fairy
user: Blackmist
By Fairy.Blackmist 2010-07-17 16:26:18
Link | Citer | R

Wow. Why did i know this was my thread before i even clicked in maybe cause i mis-spelled Solo >.>

Well, lucky enough i know how to kyte. when i mentioned I'm mainly a dd rdm, i meant, i don't Nuke/sleep/grav/bind w/e I'm fighting. =P

*Just last night. i kyted Kirin better then the 2 plds in the shout group i went with (on blm ) w no buffs, lasted 3 times longer too -needless to say, the run failed epically after wasting 2 hours

and yes dasva, i can't solo a imp on my war, taking 150-200dmg a hit kills me before i get 100% Tp. if i am lucky enough to get 100% Tp. *This was mentioned before i got the ring that cures anmisa. and way before the level cap increase =p

- i never did go bother to fight him anyway, to lazy to do it. lol. =P

Siren.Catabolic
Serveur: Siren
user: Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2010-07-17 22:56:50
Link | Citer | R

Fairy.Blackmist said:
Na im not New to solo'ing on RDM Its all I really do, anymore (on RDM & NIN) but Ive never Solo'd in Sky, so generaly its a new place for me, even though I did sky events for Roughly, 6~8 months, Yeah, zip Is a pain, when my old old Ls fought it,

i'm currently working on a Merit pt, I suppose I'll go after Bio III. Lower attack is Always good

Bio 3 5/5
Ice 5/5
convert 5/5
Paralyze II 5/5

8/8 Elemental
8/8 Enfeeble

8/8 Mp

4/4 Eva (already have)
4/4 Crit: (3/4 atm)
4/4 spell Intruption down

----

Them the Ideal Merits for RDM? (And Other Melee / mage jobs)

Bar spells are much more valuable than you give them credit for.

You will need enfeebling skill 330 and up if you plan on enfeebling a god in sky. Even then you wont land 100%

Idk tbh meriting convert seems sad to me. Spell accuracy is much more important. If you're 75 you should be pretty decent at mp conservation. (meaning you cast all the spells necessary and still have mps) Also, with the extra spell acc from merits in rdm cat. 1, you can focus gear more towards building potency (mnd/int).

When talking about soloing rdm for kite/nuke elmental 8/8 is unnecessary. Why not throw some merits into dark magic to increase BIO potency? slow2 also is much more valuable than para2. Just having para2 1/5 isn't a bad idea (it does proc more often than para1). slow2 4/5 is sexy though.

also whoever said they can solo vrtra is completely full of sh&t lol. Video proof or gtfo.
[+]
By Pandemonium.Anookulchandra 2010-07-19 02:51:05
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Pandemonium.Anookulchandra said:
also your grav won't land plain and simple.
Why...

i saw his merits on his page. i think he had 2 on enfeeb and like 0 on wind accuracy. which is what ever everyone plays differently. Wasn't insulting him at all :'(

Shiva.Khimaira said:
Just since it was already bumped, please get those level 15 Bar-spells anyways, they do more good than you know. Lmao @ Anookulch, you made me smile and its just after noon

lol why what did i say that was silly?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-07-19 03:23:40
Link | Citer | R

I'll answer both your response to me and your question to Khimaira with a single statement.

You're seriously discussing Gravity and movement+ gear versus Genbu.
By Pandemonium.Anookulchandra 2010-07-19 04:07:08
Link | Citer | R

lol well i sent you a tell why i said powder boots. anyways no genbu doesn't need gravity, he's as slow as can be. he asked if he could land it i said no plain and simple. besides i only really restarted up this convo just so i could 2 of my firsts on here in 1 shot.
 Ramuh.Austar
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2010-07-19 05:16:17
Link | Citer | R

If you have to ask how to solo Genbu as RDM, I don't think you're ready.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-07-19 05:34:02
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Catabolic said:

Bar spells are much more valuable than you give them credit for.

You will need enfeebling skill 330 and up if you plan on enfeebling a god in sky. Even then you wont land 100%

Idk tbh meriting convert seems sad to me. Spell accuracy is much more important. If you're 75 you should be pretty decent at mp conservation. (meaning you cast all the spells necessary and still have mps) Also, with the extra spell acc from merits in rdm cat. 1, you can focus gear more towards building potency (mnd/int).

Convert is arguably the best category. You can make claims all you like about how great you are at managing MP, and never ever needing to convert, but regardless of the situation, you SHOULD be trying to convert on a timer. Ie: When vert is up, dump remaining MP and vert. This maximises your MP efficiency, which is important primarily for any timed event or solo (BCNM). The only time i'd avoid verting on a timer is if I'm expecting things to get rough (which helps even more, since I'll be able to have vert up sooner if MP is running low).
Siren.Catabolic said:
When talking about soloing rdm for kite/nuke elmental 8/8 is unnecessary. Why not throw some merits into dark magic to increase BIO potency? slow2 also is much more valuable than para2. Just having para2 1/5 isn't a bad idea (it does proc more often than para1). slow2 4/5 is sexy though.

Depends. Paralyze with a High MND build effectively nulls the need for slow assuming you aren't unlucky and have it never proc :<
Siren.Catabolic said:
also whoever said they can solo vrtra is completely full of sh&t lol. Video proof or gtfo.

She was joking.