What To Merit As PLD?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » What to merit as PLD?
What to merit as PLD?
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Serveur: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-04-28 13:58:38
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Kireime said:
Just a correction here: Str does not make you hit for above 0. Hitting for 0 is a problem with lack of att. 5/5 str would only give you ~2.5att as a sideaffect. I'd say it's actually more beneficial for a career pld to merit 5/5 dex for the ~2.5acc, because God knows pld, with standard gear, doesn't cap on anything important. And capping acc should almost always come before adding a miniscule amount of att.

Yes it's negligible since only the attack will affect the damage you're hitting for, but the accuracy is also neglible, neither one will make or break you, but PLD does have good accuracy with relatively good accuracy gear available. It falls behind a lot more in attack than accuracy.

@Galadriel; I'll agree things like Iron Will have their uses, albeit extremely situational ones. I could see it useful for /RDM more than /NIN, even less useful with a co-tank, because you still need to be in a sitation where you'd have trouble casting shadows.

Though really, all PLD G2 merits are situational, the biggest advantage of Chivalry/Fealty is they grant abilities otherwise unachievable.

As for Guardian; the only ways you'll be losing hate are taking damage, natural decay over time, and things like losing shadows. Since it doesn't effect the decaying enmity, it'll only reduce the enmity lost through damage taken, which with sentinel up, is going to be ridiculously small, and would only seem useful as say, /WAR in Dynamis. Definitely not worth the effort to dump merits in.

That's my opinion at least.

Bismarck.Altar
Serveur: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2010-04-28 14:14:57
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Anecdotal evidence, woohoo. Your eva rate is still floored.

Sorry for the necroquote, carry on.

When someone advocates Vit Merits they can effectively be ignored; I wouldn't worry about rebuttals NFyre.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [88 days between previous and next post]
 Siren.Catabolic
Serveur: Siren
user: Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2010-07-25 07:22:51
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Seraph.Yasutora said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Placebo yea. Your evasion rate is easily floored on any monster above your basic trash mobs (and probably even against them), 8 EVA skill will not change that fact. As for VIT merits... 5 VIT is ~2 less damage per hit, 10 more damage on Rampart, and may or may not even give you 1 more HP on a Cure. You have Utsusemi, shield blocks, and strong defensive gear when necessary. 5 VIT is an unnecessary drop in the bucket; merit STR and kill the mob a little bit faster instead.
I'm not saying it makes all the difference in the world, but seeing 1-2 Tail Smashes miss on a Kirin zerg before getting the extra 8 skill levels IS something. 5/5 STR is good, I never had anything against it, its just with Atonement dishing 700 most of the time, I don't see me NEEDING to get the 5 STR anymore.
I'll take what little more defense merits I can and put survival and hate maintenance as my priorities considering it's my top role in the party.

Someone could also say you have no way of proving your view point and therefor you fail...
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-07-25 07:59:42
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Catabolic said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Seraph.Yasutora said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Placebo yea. Your evasion rate is easily floored on any monster above your basic trash mobs (and probably even against them), 8 EVA skill will not change that fact. As for VIT merits... 5 VIT is ~2 less damage per hit, 10 more damage on Rampart, and may or may not even give you 1 more HP on a Cure. You have Utsusemi, shield blocks, and strong defensive gear when necessary. 5 VIT is an unnecessary drop in the bucket; merit STR and kill the mob a little bit faster instead.
I'm not saying it makes all the difference in the world, but seeing 1-2 Tail Smashes miss on a Kirin zerg before getting the extra 8 skill levels IS something. 5/5 STR is good, I never had anything against it, its just with Atonement dishing 700 most of the time, I don't see me NEEDING to get the 5 STR anymore.
I'll take what little more defense merits I can and put survival and hate maintenance as my priorities considering it's my top role in the party.

Someone could also say you have no way of proving your view point and therefor you fail...

Except for the fact that the theory and math behind his has been proven before.
 Siren.Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2010-07-25 08:00:58
Link | Citer | R

where? show proof plz
 Bismarck.Altar
Serveur: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2010-07-25 08:01:55
Link | Citer | R

Go search on BG. It's there somewhere.
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-07-25 08:04:44
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Catabolic said:
where? show proof plz

So far every post I've seen from you is baseless ignorance. If you want to try and talk about game mechanics, read up a little bit so you stop looking like a fool.
 Siren.Catabolic
By Siren.Catabolic 2010-07-25 08:16:12
Link | Citer | R

because i asked for a link to read it for myself?

im sry captain elitist. proceed.