Forum » FFXI » Unicorn » Looking for Merc: Ace's Helm
Looking for Merc: Ace's Helm
 Unicorn.Emirii
Serveur: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
user: Emerii1
By Unicorn.Emirii 2010-01-07 13:59:28
Link | Citer | R

Only willing to go up to 3 million gil, so if it's too low for you than i'm sorry. Contact me in game, PM me or reply here if you think you can do it. If we can come to an agreement then we can discuss date/time/etc. Also, I will only pay if i see it in the treasure pool, so no advance payments out of me (I hope you understand ;) )
 Hades.Cheyne
Serveur: Hades
user: Cheyne
By Hades.Cheyne 2010-01-07 14:07:43
Link | Citer | R

Sorry but I don't think you'll find any LS to sell at that low of a price. Honestly if you're only going to buy for that much you might as well camp it yourself and have your friends try and kill it for you.
 Unicorn.Jewkitten
user: Jewkitten
By Unicorn.Jewkitten 2010-01-07 14:13:11
Link | Citer | R

3m

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha~

There is a line of ppl waiting to pay 10m, good luck!^^;
 Unicorn.Excesspain
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2010-01-07 14:18:17
Link | Citer | R

Yeah, not gonna happen.
 Unicorn.Rufio
user: Nesaki
By Unicorn.Rufio 2010-01-07 14:18:58
Link | Citer | R

Jewkitten, you're a complete moron. No need to act like an idiot. She said her price, you say no. No need to act like a moron.
[+]
 Unicorn.Ignasio
user: Ignasio
By Unicorn.Ignasio 2010-01-07 14:23:08
Link | Citer | R

I think this is the first time I have ever agreed with Rufio.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Serveur: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-01-07 14:29:26
Link | Citer | R

I'm gonna be frank and I say this owning one so nobody can just say I'm jealous etc.

Ace's Helm has lost a lot of its value since the advent of Pizza. Unless you're eating Red Curry, Pizza + full haste (meaning Turban) will outdo just about everything else. Hell, on SAM since the gains from Attack are so meh, you'll probably find Pizza + full Haste is always the best choice.

It's not a bad piece by any means and it is situationally useful, but I wouldn't go killing yourself for it or anything. It has lost a lot of its relative value since the meat vs sushi days.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ukiyasan
user: Ukiyasan
By Bahamut.Ukiyasan 2010-01-07 14:48:57
Link | Citer | R

I'm sorry, but this isn't that great of a piece as Raenryong has stated. Since Pizza came out, a DD (SAM,DRK in this case) can make up that ACC easily with Pizza. For TP, Turban gives you an extra 1% of Haste, and on WSs, people can use Moogle Helm or Shura +1 to match the usage of this.

Now, don't get me wrong... its not bad piece at all. Of course, most 75s are gonna have a Turban, so you can't say that this piece would be an Inventory-1 item, because you are gonna need the Turban for another job regardless.

I know people still seek after this, but in no way is it worth the 10mil that Jewkitten jokes that people line up to pay for it.
[+]
By Yuffy 2010-01-07 15:40:51
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Ace's Helm has lost a lot of its value since the advent of Pizza. Unless you're eating Red Curry, Pizza full haste (meaning Turban) will outdo just about everything else. Hell, on SAM since the gains from Attack are so meh, you'll probably find Pizza full Haste is always the best choice.
On the paper you are right, in reality where people barely use food if ever, you are absolutely wrong.

Sad to say but the first thing to take into account isnt the gear stats but if whether or not he uses food.

Jewkitten is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE its well known but JPs on Unicorn go up to 12M on a lot of HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE gear like N head out of nowhere without you trying to jump the price so its not that much exagerated though some LSs on Unicorn merc for much less (and KV is a joke to camp, not even talking about the fact that its mostly uncamped on Unicorn lately).
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-01-07 15:42:55
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
On the paper you are right, in reality where people barely use food if ever, you are absolutely wrong.

Whether a piece of gear is still useful or not isn't based on people who do it wrong, it's based on people who play properly! Otherwise sushi is super awesome because in reality people use str rings a lot, and stuff like that.

For a good player, Ace's Helm has lost a lot of its utility relative to how it used to be.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
Serveur: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2010-01-07 15:44:40
Link | Citer | R

Your best bet is to talk with a few LS leaders on your server, get the ToD yourself, and give them the ToD if they agree to your term/price.

3mil to an HNM shell isn't much, especially if going out of their way to camp something that can take a few hours to pop. So offering to do all the work except the actual manpower would be very helpful.

That being said, Ace Helm I've seen let go of for 5mil on my server, so 3mil is not out of the question if you're courteous, helpful to them in YOUR cause, and get a little lucky.

GL. ._.
[+]
By Yuffy 2010-01-07 15:56:53
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Quote:

Whether a piece of gear is still useful or not isn't based on people who do it wrong, it's based on people who play properly! Otherwise sushi is super awesome because in reality people use str rings a lot, and stuff like that.

For a good player, Ace's Helm has lost a lot of its utility relative to how it used to be.
I didnt mean Ace is good based on general people not using food, not at all, i meant that Ace (in this case) can be good for someone and a mannequin trophy for someone else. You cant generalize a piece of gear like Ace, like you cant generalize any store TP or haste piece because SAMs using korazin and dusk/fuma are legion yet only korazin is a HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE choice in general, but others are still HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE choice in this particular situation.

Until the day i only meet people with proper 6hits and such everywhere, gear like Ace will have 2 sides, one where its awesome because it brings "someone doing it wrong" (how ugly this vision is) to an "acceptable" level and an other where its inventory -1.

As for pizza existing or not, i hardly see anyone in game having a pizza on 24/7 so there will realistically always be a use for Ace, whether you do it good or wrong.
 Fairy.Vegetto
Serveur: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-07 16:05:34
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
I'm gonna be frank and I say this owning one so nobody can just say I'm jealous etc.

Ace's Helm has lost a lot of its value since the advent of Pizza. Unless you're eating Red Curry, Pizza full haste (meaning Turban) will outdo just about everything else. Hell, on SAM since the gains from Attack are so meh, you'll probably find Pizza full Haste is always the best choice.

It's not a bad piece by any means and it is situationally useful, but I wouldn't go killing yourself for it or anything. It has lost a lot of its relative value since the meat vs sushi days.
100% correct. I stopped caring about obtaining an Ace's Helm a LONG time ago and really don't care if I ever get one. I was going to pay 5m for one at one point, and after that I was *** that *** (good thing it didn't drop the one time I had someone willing to sell).

With the addition of pizza, ace's is next to worthless. VERY situational. Do yourself a favor and save 3m.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-01-07 16:07:42
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
It's not a bad piece by any means and it is situationally useful

Well I did provide this qualifier :( it's too good a piece in some situations (like no pizza) to be useless, but it's also not as immense as it once was.
 Bahamut.Ukiyasan
user: Ukiyasan
By Bahamut.Ukiyasan 2010-01-07 16:09:20
Link | Citer | R

Yuffy said:
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Quote:
Whether a piece of gear is still useful or not isn't based on people who do it wrong, it's based on people who play properly! Otherwise sushi is super awesome because in reality people use str rings a lot, and stuff like that. For a good player, Ace's Helm has lost a lot of its utility relative to how it used to be.
I didnt mean Ace is good based on general people not using food, not at all, i meant that Ace (in this case) can be good for someone and a mannequin trophy for someone else. You cant generalize a piece of gear like Ace, like you cant generalize any store TP or haste piece because SAMs using korazin and dusk/fuma are legion yet only korazin is a HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE choice in general, but others are still HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE choice in this particular situation. Until the day i only meet people with proper 6hits and such everywhere, gear like Ace will have 2 sides, one where its awesome because it brings "someone doing it wrong" (how ugly this vision is) to an "acceptable" level and an other where its inventory -1. As for pizza existing or not, i hardly see anyone in game having a pizza on 24/7 so there will realistically always be a use for Ace, whether you do it good or wrong.

Well, here is the reality of it. People play how people want to. Those that play to be "Optimal" and the "Best of the Best" will say that Ace's Helm is inventory-1 because they have better combos of gear that they can use. Now a more casual or lazy (Casual gamers are not always lazy. I know some really hard working casual players) tend to have use for this BECAUSE they will not care what others say, they like the piece.

Raenryong is right in the situation of the "Best of the Best" world, and being the LSs and groups he had ran with, I don't blame him.

Also Yuffy, before going after the ideas of people, remember don't say they are wrong for what they are saying. They might be looking from one gaming point-of-view while you look from another. In this case, thats exactly what happened and you just said he was absolutely wrong because of 1 situation. Please just watch your wording. Now, I will say that in the more lax world, you are right here Yuffy. And I'll leave it at that.
By Vegetto 2010-01-07 16:12:42
Link | Citer | R

Really though, not TERRIABLE if you have, but definitely not worth shelling out 3m for.
By Yuffy 2010-01-07 16:19:21
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Ukiyasan said:
Also Yuffy, before going after the ideas of people, remember don't say they are wrong for what they are saying. They might be looking from one gaming point-of-view while you look from another. In this case, thats exactly what happened and you just said he was absolutely wrong because of 1 situation. Please just watch your wording. Now, I will say that in the more lax world, you are right here Yuffy. And I'll leave it at that.
I provided both sides of the view saying one is absolutely right when the other isnt. It wasnt a "you are wrong", it was a "its partially true, here is why".

As for the extreme choice of word in general, its just as extreme as the pizza propaganda (and yes i'm a pizza user, just not on SAM).
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-01-07 16:20:44
Link | Citer | R

I still use mine sometimes and I wouldn't call it inventory-1, but it's not the almost gamebreaking item it used to be.

Not meaning this in a condescending way at all, but if you haven't paid really close attention to all of the inner mechanics, the stats themselves look very impressive and you are not wrong for thinking they are. Unless you actually spend a lot of time thinking about the game, it is easy not to notice.

It's a good piece, just not the godly one it looks like as it was once.

EDIT:
Quote:
Raenryong is right in the situation of the "Best of the Best" world, and being the LSs and groups he had ran with, I don't blame him.

Cheers :o
Quote:
its just as extreme as the pizza propaganda

I'm not exaggerating in the slightest when I say that in 99% of cases on any monster worth building for, if you are not eating Red Curry, Pizza will allow you to make a stronger build (through substitutions if necessary).

It's a strong statement, but Pizza is pretty broken.

Pizza is very cheap and affordable, lasts a long time (this can be a double-edged sword I know) and gives you the best melee buffs possible besides Red Curry situationally. Its only disadvantage is inventory space, and even then - it lasts so long...

EDIT2: With the exception of Carbonara being used for a DRK 5hit with a 528 Scythe I will also include since I'm trying to be meticulous.
[+]
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-07 16:27:32
Link | Citer | R

Again, I find myself agreeing here. Now, Ace's, I wouldn't mind camping one if I had a ls for it. It is situational, and I am about my situational gear (I carry MANY sets), but paying for one is straight up not worth it, not worth 3m, when it is a pretty situational piece. I'd invest that 3m into other gear.

For example, looking at the OP's item sets, the OP would gain more benefit from upgrading from chiv chain to a PCC than shelling out 3m for an ace's. 1m less and will add more utility (and to multiple jobs, not just sam, as she has mnk sam and thf in her item sets)
[+]
 Unicorn.Emirii
By Unicorn.Emirii 2010-01-07 16:33:03
Link | Citer | R

Uh, ok... wow

Yeah, like i said if you don't want to sell it for 3 mil, then don't bother even replying? I understand that linkshells probably sell it for way more, but tbh I think its overpriced and with the current game economy i think 3 mil is reasonable. I realize its a situational piece and blah blah blah, but it's just something i'd like to have. I've camped it, i've killed it myself, but i've never had it drop. Now I am in a linkshell who doesn't do HNM and want one for myself after the hard work i've done at attempting it.

So if a linkshell on Unicorn isn't willing to Merc it for an easy 3 mil (because any good HNMLS should have a good idea when the ToD is anyway) then thats fine, i'll get it myself one day.
[+]
By Yuffy 2010-01-07 16:33:11
Link | Citer | R

Inventory being the only thing against Pizza sadly (and well, capped acc situations). And we all know what inventory looks like when you push your job beyond TP and WS set.
By Yuffy 2010-01-07 16:34:36
Link | Citer | R

OH well cant edit.
I believe Matsuru had a cut on Ace price if you camped KV yourself but i'm not sure if he still does this and if it was 3M. Can always try if you didnt.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-07 16:43:01
Link | Citer | R

Unicorn.Emirii said:
Uh, ok... wow

Yeah, like i said if you don't want to sell it for 3 mil, then don't bother even replying? I understand that linkshells probably sell it for way more, but tbh I think its overpriced and with the current game economy i think 3 mil is reasonable. I realize its a situational piece and blah blah blah, but it's just something i'd like to have. I've camped it, i've killed it myself, but i've never had it drop. Now I am in a linkshell who doesn't do HNM and want one for myself after the hard work i've done at attempting it.

So if a linkshell on Unicorn isn't willing to Merc it for an easy 3 mil (because any good HNMLS should have a good idea when the ToD is anyway) then thats fine, i'll get it myself one day.
Like I said in the PM, best of luck to you if you still want to buy it. We were just laying out the information in case you didn't already have all the facts on how much use you could get out of it.

Either way, gl
[+]
 Fairy.Maimed
user: Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2010-01-07 16:50:46
Link | Citer | R

My friend, if you would like to purchase an Ace's Helm for 3mil, I would suggest offering your services to HNM linkshells on your server, (ie camping Cerberus and if you notify them and get at least 3-5 kills (approx 1.5mil each)) then maybe they can agree to sell at 3mil. I'm not saying that's the magic number, but find a way to add value aside from gil to a reputable linkshell on your server that you believe will be willing to accomodate your individual situation.

Granted, this might take you a couple of weeks to accomplish, but I sincerely doubt you'll find many linkshells willing to take such a lowball offer on Ace's Helm.

Ideally, if you have enough friends willing to help, you can camp it yourself, but chances are if you're not in an endgame/hnm linkshell, your friends aren't either. And unless they're really good friends, somebody is going to want to lot on that helm also.

I hope this reply provided a new perspective as to how you can leverage yourself to get your item even w/o having the amount typically desired by most linkshells to consider it worth their time.
 Unicorn.Emirii
By Unicorn.Emirii 2010-01-07 17:02:13
Link | Citer | R

Thanks guys for the tips, etc. Will look into it. If i don't get ahold of an Ace's helm i'll just try the PCC that Vegetto mentioned. I don't get to play SAM very much anymore because i leveled BRD and I have a decently geared RDM so it's not a big deal. Thanks y'all.
[+]
 Remora.Nhahagolah
Serveur: Remora
user: Nhaha
By Remora.Nhahagolah 2010-01-07 17:09:15
Link | Citer | R

I have an MDT and PDT set on SAM, and different gear for GKT and polearm, on top of consumables I always carry with me (oils powders shihei mithka x3 sushi virtue stones etc.) and there's always room for like 3 pizzas, which is the absolute maximum you need at a given time. Inventory isn't an issue. Pizza is good, Ace's not so much (if your polearm SAM gear in merits is less than stellar I'd wear it there, that's about it).
 Sylph.Sindri
Serveur: Sylph
user: Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2010-01-07 17:36:22
Link | Citer | R

An LS on my server sells for 4m and have no wait list if I remember correctly... iiZerg but it may have been 6m... Ill go check website and Edit this post with the price!!!

Edit: I'm not smart, 5M price. I don't think you'll find 3M anywhere unless you have some connections with the hihgest claimer on KV.
 Unicorn.Grimjow
user: Grimjow
By Unicorn.Grimjow 2010-01-19 00:52:12
Link | Citer | R

In my humble opinion I think the main reason people want Ace's Helm is because Walmart Turban is so God Awful Ugly. Not to mention everyone has it.

As far as relevance to topic. It will greatly help you to camp yourself.

And with your "decently geared RDM " you can kite it for 5 years with little to no issue.

And on a side note to one of Yuffy's comments.

Here on Uni only a few LS's camp KV and only when it is in prime window.

Usually only a handful of people there.