Final Fantasy 13 - A Viewpoint From Both Sides.

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Final Fantasy 13 - A viewpoint from both sides.
Final Fantasy 13 - A viewpoint from both sides.
First Page 2 3
 Sylph.Beelshamen
Serveur: Sylph
Game: FFXI
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-12-30 14:11:24
Link | Citer | R

The whole game is completely linear until halfway through [approximately 20 hours].

There are hardly any towns.

The party is always fixed. The whole game just repeats the movie-battle sequence over and over [In fact the progression is closer to movie-run-battle-run-movie-boss-movie-run-battle…].

There are rather a lot of movies.

Moving around is like a long marathon.

The whole game system is just a clone of FF10.

You can’t flee battles [You can’t avoid most battles either as there is no sneaking past enemies, including weak ones].

Your party is completely healed after each battle.

If the main character in your party dies it is game over [There are only ever 3 characters in battle, often less, and often fixed].

The best tactic is almost always endlessly attacking. There is next to no strategy or skill involved.

The summons’ transformation scenes are a joke [i.e. Odin turning into a horse].
The story is rubbish… [Spoilers omitted, but complaints centre on Snow’s constant and cringe inducing insistence that he is a hero and will “protect” whatever it is the antagonists are menacing this time]

Shopping is only done at “online” shops on save points, with no proper shops to be found.

However, this doesn’t matter as you hardly ever get any money [and you can never buy anything more powerful than what you already looted].

There have been next to no changes from the demo.

The status screen displays no real information.

There are only 8 items usable in combat [For that matter, there are hardly any weapons or accessories, and the “crafting” system mostly consists of spending drops to upgrade their 2 stats].

There are no levels.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Square Enix has delivered one of the most addictive videogame experiences ever created. Cast as Lightning, a former soldier of the Cocoon military, the player will meet one of the largest selections of memorable characters ever seen in a videogame. Regardless of language barriers, each of the game’s stars’ personalities shines through by way of their actions, facial expressions and body language. Plot advancement is handled through a combination of cut-scenes and in-game story telling, and even lesser, almost inconsequential characters are defined as individuals in a densely populated world. Even before taking into account the addictive nature of the gameplay,Square Enix has achieved a more than commendable feat in videogame engineering through the creation of such an intriguing and complex world, capable of ensuring suspension-of-disbelief for more than a few hours. Final Fantasy XIII marks the attainment of new milestones in creating believable virtual societies.

Discuss.
[+]
By semimmortal 2009-12-30 14:13:29
Link | Citer | R

It's Transformers meet Japan.
By semimmortal 2009-12-30 14:15:29
Link | Citer | R

Forgot my vid:
 Shiva.Flionheart
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2009-12-30 14:45:42
Link | Citer | R

Seems awfully opinionated in here.
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2009-12-30 15:53:33
Link | Citer | R

OP's comments are various complaints from 2ch and are shared by pretty much everyone who has played the game so far.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-12-30 15:58:55
Link | Citer | R

The only positive FF13 review so far is from Japanese gamer mag Famitsu, which gave it a 39/40.

Keep in mind, however, that Famitsu also said FFX-2 was one of the greatest games of all time.

In fact, they have never had a negative word to say about any Square product, including Last Remnant, which went on to score an absolutely dismal 66 (a solid D) at Metacritic.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Serveur: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-12-30 15:59:14
Link | Citer | R

I had a feeling it was going to be terrible.
[+]
 Sylph.Hitetsu
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-12-30 16:08:52
Link | Citer | R

And to think.. I asked for this as a Christmas present >_>.. Oh well.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Serveur: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-12-30 16:09:38
Link | Citer | R

I'm still going to buy it and judge for myself=/ A lot of people hated X-2, and honestly it was crap. But I still enjoyed playing it the one time through and don't regret buying it.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-12-30 16:11:34
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Square Enix has delivered one of the most addictive videogame experiences ever created. Cast as Lightning, a former soldier of the Cocoon military, the player will meet one of the largest selections of memorable characters ever seen in a videogame. Regardless of language barriers, each of the game’s stars’ personalities shines through by way of their actions, facial expressions and body language. Plot advancement is handled through a combination of cut-scenes and in-game story telling, and even lesser, almost inconsequential characters are defined as individuals in a densely populated world. Even before taking into account the addictive nature of the gameplay,Square Enix has achieved a more than commendable feat in videogame engineering through the creation of such an intriguing and complex world, capable of ensuring suspension-of-disbelief for more than a few hours. Final Fantasy XIII marks the attainment of new milestones in creating believable virtual societies.

This "praise" for the game doesn't actually say much at all. If you look at it, it's basically iterating a few points (which don't clash with those above) and using a lot of language and ... well, almost hubris to describe these. It completely ignores all of the points above and doesn't really say much...
 Pandemonium.Rathz
Serveur: Pandemonium
user: Rathz
By Pandemonium.Rathz 2009-12-30 16:23:00
Link | Citer | R

semimmortal said:
Forgot my vid:

Oh ***. A black guy with a gun, run!!!!!!!!!!!!
[+]
By semimmortal 2009-12-30 16:24:52
Link | Citer | R

Well, regardless of the criticism, I'm still going to get it (or at least 90% chance of me getting it...).
To me, it's another Metal Gear Solid 4 styled game.
Basically a movie.
[+]
 Garuda.Ivinora
user: Ivinora
By Garuda.Ivinora 2009-12-30 16:25:53
Link | Citer | R

Kinda sad to hear it i'll still wait to test it out myself though, but I kinda gave up on a epic FF after FFX-2 not that they where really bad :/ it just hasn't been the same after FFIX but that's just my point of vieuw and i'm only 1 person so
[+]
 Sylph.Shadowfox
By Sylph.Shadowfox 2009-12-30 16:28:05
Link | Citer | R

at least it looks purdy
[+]
 Fenrir.Ktjrn
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Ktjrn
By Fenrir.Ktjrn 2009-12-30 16:48:38
Link | Citer | R

Pandemonium.Rathz said:
semimmortal said:
Forgot my vid:

always have to put race in everything, eh? >.<

Anyway, the graphics look cool, but i would figure that they would keep some resembelance or pattern similar to 12. it looks pretty difficult to play. Maybe the US version wont be as....... dissapointing
[+]
 Remora.Thiefninja
Serveur: Remora
user: Gawdless
By Remora.Thiefninja 2009-12-30 17:20:39
Link | Citer | R

if anything i will rent it....
 Phoenix.Jovant
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Jovant
By Phoenix.Jovant 2009-12-31 19:41:11
Link | Citer | R

Pandemonium.Rathz said:
semimmortal said:
Forgot my vid:

yea because a white guy in a tailer park enviorment, with a gun, on his property, isnt any better >.>; lol

but as for 13. i had high hopes for this game. read the review put a damper on that tho ; ;. me being a ff fan i'll still buy it to determen myself i liked X-2 to some extent but it wasnt byfar the best game

on that note: i hope gran turismo 5 for the p3 is like old playstation first GT and not like the shitty psp one because i was highly disapointed.
 Shiva.Daimos
user: Daimos
By Shiva.Daimos 2009-12-31 20:37:12
Link | Citer | R

Rather disappointing... I guess I'll just have to let my friends buy/review it before I touch it .-.
 Bahamut.Oblivion
user: remnant
By Bahamut.Oblivion 2010-01-03 03:09:44
Link | Citer | R

I'm not hoping for much. FFXII was nice, but I don't have any expectations for any main FF title until they turn out something decent that wasn't designed by the FF Tactics guys. If I'm not mistaken, this will be their first FF installment without Sakaguchi or the FFT guys? (not counting FFXI) Yeah...don't get your hopes up.

[+]
 Bahamut.Stanflame
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-01-03 04:12:28
Link | Citer | R

ff vs 13? oh man les hope it's better won't hold my breath... probably devil may cry meets ff
[+]
 Garuda.Antipika
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2010-01-03 05:18:06
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
The only positive FF13 review so far is from Japanese gamer mag Famitsu, which gave it a 39/40.

Keep in mind, however, that Famitsu also said FFX-2 was one of the greatest games of all time.

In fact, they have never had a negative word to say about any Square product, including Last Remnant, which went on to score an absolutely dismal 66 (a solid D) at Metacritic.

Since Famitsu gave 40/40 to Nintendogs anyway...

As for TLR, I disagree most of reviews. Yeah this game is not perfect, but definitely not deserve a 66... It's more a 80/100 game, but the 38/40 from Famitsu was, as usual, completely overrated yeah.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
Serveur: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2010-01-03 14:09:44
Link | Citer | R

been playing it since day 1

so far a great game nothing wrong with it
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2010-01-03 14:26:19
Link | Citer | R

^Care to go into details without spoiling too much?
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
Serveur: Unicorn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-01-03 18:57:46
Link | Citer | R

Guess I'll go over a few points here and there. Currently about 25-30 hrs into the game, on chapter 11 atm.

I dunno what the whole deal with the linear thing is, most traditional RPG's are pretty linear. Sure there's a little room to run around and look for stuff but in the end you still have to go down one particular path to progress in the game. I think this is more just preference than anything though, I thought the flow and pacing of the game has been pretty good so far. I'm actually at the point where you have freedom to do some other stuff and I kind of just feel like going back to the main storyline, lol.

Party is fixed for story reasons until around... chapter 9? Pretty much the group forms and seperates and you don't really have 3 combat capable members together for a while. Once you get the full party of 6 you can change members at will.

There are definitely a lot of movies, lol.

Not sure what you mean, you have to run around in pretty much any RPG, heck 11's the worst, lol.

Game system? Like battle system or what? The battle system is nothing like 10. Has some hints of 12 and is active like a bunch but not sure if there's any FF's it can directly compare to.

You can avoid at least half of all regular battles, depending on the area. The plains in chapter 11, you pretty much never have to fight anything unless it's guarding a treasure chest.

This good or bad? Considering there's no mp, healing after battle would simply be a useless annoyance.

The main character thing is an interesting design choice, not much to say about it really. It is what it is.

Endlessly attacking will get you killed in normal fights (unless you're already overlevelled) and horribly raped in boss battles.

Summon/story not gonna comment since that very much comes down to personal opinion.

I remember reading in some interview that the whole lack of towns in general was a design decision. That most players get annoyed by the whole, let's run around town making sure we've talked to everyone so we can progress the storyline thing so they took it out pretty much entirely. Whether it bothers you or not, personal preference.

The way shops and money are used in the game are kinda weird. You can sell enemy drops for money if you want it to buy upgrade materials and what not but I haven't messed with it too much just because I don't know what the heck I should upgrade, lol.

Never played the demo (was before I got a ps3). And I guess there's not many stats so there's not much to show? lol Would be nice to have a way to see all the abilties you've unlocked at a go though. Maybe there is and I just didn't see it.

Hmm, no items... I guess maybe because magic is free there's rarely a need to rely on items. Only thing that would need it for is early in the game, phoenix downs before raise, and maybe if you have the no magic debuff on you (Fog? can't recall the name)

There were no lvls in FFX either. The system is similar to that though.

Personally, I like the game so far. The pacing has been good and the things which people complain about the most haven't really bothered me. The battle system is kind of interesting though I question the AI's priorities sometimes, hehe. Lately the enemies have gotten somewhat strong, I wish I could just button mash through them, lol.
[+]
 Hades.Agilo
Serveur: Hades
user: Agilo
By Hades.Agilo 2010-01-03 21:08:42
Link | Citer | R

is there any sidequests? thats one of the best features of some of the FFs, having side quests and additional bosses and stuff like that. like FF12 with hunts
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-01-03 21:13:46
Link | Citer | R

The whole 'linear' thing confuses me because I don't know a single FF that isn't linear for awhile.

Want to freeroam in the beginning and get lost instantly?
[+]
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
Serveur: Unicorn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-01-03 21:29:40
Link | Citer | R

At Chapter 11, you start getting these mission stone things which are essentially side quests. Dunno what there is after you beat the game since I'm still going through it, hehe.
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2010-01-04 01:23:43
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Beelshamen said:
^Care to go into details without spoiling too much?

i have not finished the game so il keep my opinions to myself

as for the game being "Linear" is full of Bull its HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE how you see alot of people posting there opinions on a JRPG and complains about it being Linear when alot of JRPG's are Linear

the Battle System well it kinda feel like 12 but its much better

Party leader Game over thing well dont have Lightning as your Party leader lol
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-01-04 01:53:42
Link | Citer | R

I thought that... Most FF's have a similar path:

1. Linear beginning part
2. Slightly less linear, add little sidequests in town, cards etc
3. AIRSHIP QUEST!
4. Freedom

FFXIII is looking good so far, I think everyone is just jumping on the bandwagon as per usual.
 Gilgamesh.Areaden
user: Areaden
By Gilgamesh.Areaden 2010-01-04 03:24:13
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Hypnotizd said:
I'm still going to buy it and judge for myself=/ A lot of people hated X-2, and honestly it was crap. But I still enjoyed playing it the one time through and don't regret buying it.

lol I played FFX-2 for 15 min then gave it to my wife who also plays all of the FFs. And yes I DO regret buying it. But agree with you I will play it and judge for myself.
[+]
First Page 2 3