Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » PLD solo
PLD solo
 Asura.Aust
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Aust101
By Asura.Aust 2009-12-21 12:14:11
Link | Citer | R

I am curious to see eveyones ideas and opinions about what PLD can solo. I've heard about solo avatars, a solo ksnm, a duo charby, anyone tried that solo yet?

I would like to see some post about what bcnm's, assults, isnm, ksnm, NM's and other events or attempts of what people tried.   

What subs?
What strats?
What items?

Carbuncle.Zanno
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-12-21 12:49:19
Link | Citer | R

I've solod Dark Spark as PLD/RDM, does that count? lol

I've heard that PLD/DNC can do pretty well, I assume this is with aspir samba, on mobs that have MP obviously.

Cant say I have alot of experience except for that Dark Spark when it comes to solo on PLD though.
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-12-21 12:57:52
Link | Citer | R

A well geared PLD can solo a lot more these days thanks to Atonement. I personally use /RDM for most things as phalanx/stoneskin negates a lot of dmg.

Personally i've trio'd charby with BRD + WHM me PLD/NIN, full timed shield skill gear marchx2 on me for utsu and elergy on charb, I would have shadows up for each attack round by charb. Atonement provides the DD and works nicely, could have duo'd with brd probably.

Solo'd jelly ring NM after taking 4 hours to make it pop lol PLD/RDM keep phalanx/stoneskin up, long fight but finished with about 150MP left.

I did avatar fights SAM/NIN with a whm but i'm pretty sure my PLD/RDM could do those with no prob.

I'm sure there's a lot more stuff PLD can solo that I haven't tried yet, my preference is to zerg stuff on SAM mostly unless they resistant to slash or use a lot of magic.
 Siren.Stewie
Serveur: Siren
user: Stewie
By Siren.Stewie 2009-12-21 13:07:41
Link | Citer | R

PLD/RDM can solo charybdis. Idle in turtle gear, ice spikes, phalanx in enhancing gear, keep hate capped or as close as you can to capped for atonements.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-12-21 13:09:10
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Stewie said:
PLD/RDM can solo charybdis. Idle in turtle gear, ice spikes, phalanx in enhancing gear, keep hate capped or as close as you can to capped for atonements.

sounds very risky :x
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-12-21 13:15:04
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Zanno said:
Siren.Stewie said:

Not something I think I could pull off. I'd be worried about mp running out since it's a long fight and without haste and elergy stoneskin prob wouldn't last long so you'd spend a lot of time doing recasts than Tping.

Saying that though I dont have full koenig gear or any valhala which probably makes this strat viable.
 Fairy.Maimed
Serveur: Fairy
user: Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2009-12-21 13:29:32
Link | Citer | R

Pld/Rdm is actually a very good solo if you can get a solid value for Phalanx/Stoneskin. I can solo VT sharks in Sea as Pld/Rdm.

Plus, if all else fails, you can do ghetto kite/dot and just spam Bio II and outrun your target with C.legs.(Lol i know)

1 1/2 hour kite/dot on a Marid using Pld/Rdm ftw. The thing we do when we're bored out of our minds :D
 Remora.Abriel
Serveur: Remora
user: Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-12-21 15:57:27
Link | Citer | R

lol, you'd have to be very lucky to solo chary as pld.

I do have a good amount of experience soloing pld/dnc though. it's basically the same as the ancestoral fruit cake you keep in the dark corner of the attic. beat the ***out of it and try to give it away every year, but you never seem to get rid of it...

hell, with a good haste build, even soloing as pld/nin's pretty easy. shouldn't be hard to keep up shadows w/o support if you keep ichi and flash on a similar rotation timer. kind of a waste though.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2009-12-21 16:25:15
Link | Citer | R

Can solo it pretty easily. Provided you have a good -PDT set. And an hour to kill :x
You can solo quite a lot of things, I know a PLD/RDM did Vivian solo (but needed the best gear ever), never tried any BCNM as it, aside from AF quests, so wouldn't know sorry.
 Siren.Stewie
user: Stewie
By Siren.Stewie 2009-12-21 16:26:23
Link | Citer | R

You don't have to be lucky, you just need a good turtle idle set. Ethereal Earring and Chivalry are enough to keep your MP up, if you don't have Ethereal just bring a few yagudo drinks. Cross Attack is the only real danger and it hits for ~700 max.
 Remora.Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-12-21 16:52:27
Link | Citer | R

I was more so referring to tp spam at <25%, get a bad set of attacks back to back and things can turn pair shaped quickly.
 Fairy.Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2009-12-21 17:07:10
Link | Citer | R

Imho, Pld/Rdm beats Pld/Dnc on anything that hits hard. With Pld/Dnc you have to make sure the rate at which you gain TP (and how you can use it) outweighs the ability to conserve MP by getting hit for zero. Thanks to a proper shield skill/stoneskin/phalanx build, you can do wonders against really tough mobs.

The ultimate disclaimer is, both subs are purely situational. But if you want overall survivability, a good Pld/Rdm generally outshines a good Pld/Dnc. However, Pld/Dnc is much easier to pull off especially if you don't have ideal gear swaps/macros/etc.
 Remora.Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-12-21 17:25:36
Link | Citer | R

I never argued that it was better, I just mentioned it as another useful solo sub, though it's probably better if you want to just sit back while you auto-attack random things and watch tv, lol. the advantages and disadvantages of each sub are more or less noticeable in different situations.
 Fairy.Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2009-12-21 17:48:27
Link | Citer | R

Abriel, when I got my kclub. I solo'ed bees on Pld/Dnc, basically hitting Drain Samba II every minute or so, whenever I'd remember. I was watching family guy and just hit the macro randomly. In 45 minutes my club skill was nearly capped and I wasn't even in danger of getting killed. The beauty behind Pld/dnc over pld/rdm is if the situation is right, you can go on forever. But you're right, both are situational. I have a bias towards Pld/Rdm over Pld/Dnc over tougher mobs because random things like "Dispel" still work decently as /rdm and can definitely make a difference when it comes to survival. That's just my personal preference though :D
 Remora.Abriel
By Remora.Abriel 2009-12-21 18:33:36
Link | Citer | R

danm, I just remembered another solo sub that can be (or use to be, lol) pretty useful, though I've never used it myself. /bst, with pld's ability to easily stack chr gear, resists aren't too much to worry about. I guess it'd be more of a decent sub for soloing xp reasonably quick. but, with the addition of campaign battle, getting xp isn't so much of an issue and it's benefits would probably help you less than /rdm or /dnc in this instance (I know it's reliably easy and quick to gain xp bonuses with both /rdm and /dnc in campaign).
 Fairy.Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2009-12-21 18:51:34
Link | Citer | R

lol I never thought about /bst, but that could be a brutal sub...
 Siren.Enternius
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-12-21 18:52:28
Link | Citer | R

If your BST main is 75, PLD/BST is just as good as BST, assuming you can get as much CHR.

Resists will happen just as often, and charmed mobs will stay charmed for just as long.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Serveur: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-21 22:14:17
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Zanno said:
Siren.Stewie said:
You'd be suprised. As a rdm/blu in meh -PDT gear and forgetting def food I could easily get stoneskin to survive 1-3 attack rounds. And the difference between my full def/pdt gear + def food and just running around idleing on mobs that hit me can be the difference between 200-300 dmg a hit to more like 0-50. Thank god for phalanx being applied last lol. Don't get hit with buffs down though or switched out to other gear that will murder you faster than you would believe. Also he's not to resistant so you may be able to land some debuffs on him. And bio attack down etc

But for a pld I'd want some sort of refresh. Drink or whatever.