Carbuncle.Sevourn
Serveur: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-01-27 18:09:29
Link | Citer | R

Pandemonium.Areis said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
I strongly suggest idling in both parade gorget and vermy until you finish upgrading your ares/before you hit 75, Raenryong gave me the idea actually. 2 extra mp per tick between fignts is a really nice little bonus.
Idling in MP is great.. except when solo the main idea is to never be idling. And while never idling, I often don't have the MP to trigger Parade even when i'm not fighting.

I do understand the benefit of it for party play. But in almost every other situation the amount of work required to maintain more than 10MP from it is unreasonable.

the IDEA is never to idle. you're still going to be idle when you run between enemies. the 10mp you get between each fight adds up when you want to minimise downtime.

it shouldn't be any work at all. spellcast prz.

Shiva.Flionheart
Serveur: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-01-27 18:12:58
Link | Citer | R

This seems to be a less 'Ask advice' thread, and a more 'Look at my gear, whilst I shoot down all opinion' thread.

Also, it's: 'I Couldn't care less' if it was 'I could care less' then that means you must care about it a lot because you can care less about it.

[+]
 Pandemonium.Areis
Serveur: Pandemonium
user: Areis
By Pandemonium.Areis 2010-01-27 18:48:18
Link | Citer | R

I was looking for gear advice... if i said no the first time to a specific piece of advice and i continue saying no... that means i've rejected the idea for personal reasons with how i'm playing. If i saw a new idea i may agree or i may not, similar with gear suggestions.

As it happens I would like to think i have a bit of experience in how what i'm doing is working and how it differs from the "standard" party play style.

As to trying a Gsword I'll have to give it a try after Scorpions have fallen from T (tough) down to DC or EP. Being hit for up to 400 between Cold/Numbing Breath and as much as 650 with Death Scissors for now i'll stick to sword/board.

I think the main idea i've shot down is Parade Gorget. For the reason that while great for party play, the latent for solo costs more than it saves.
AF feet i have admitted i may use if i get them, but attempted to discuss why i might decide not to.
Full DD setup I've considered and attempted to explain that it doesn't work well when soloing VT mobs with a Fighter NPC, based on the amount of work it takes to stay alive.

As far as switching to a healer NPC, I have considered using the Pld type NPC because they have an auto-refresh trait, but stopping every 10min to rest NPC MP for 3~5 is... disheartening for me.

Even if i decide not to take the advice that doesn't mean I'm not happy to have input (at least not till i give the same answer about it multiple times)
 Odin.Kalico
Serveur: Odin
user: Panthra
By Odin.Kalico 2010-01-27 19:03:03
Link | Citer | R

Pandemonium.Areis said:
I was looking for gear advice... if i said no the first time to a specific piece of advice and i continue saying no... that means i've rejected the idea for personal reasons with how i'm playing. If i saw a new idea i may agree or i may not, similar with gear suggestions. As it happens I would like to think i have a bit of experience in how what i'm doing is working and how it differs from the "standard" party play style. As to trying a Gsword I'll have to give it a try after Scorpions have fallen from T (tough) down to DC or EP. Being hit for up to 400 between Cold/Numbing Breath and as much as 650 with Death Scissors for now i'll stick to sword/board. I think the main idea i've shot down is Parade Gorget. For the reason that while great for party play, the latent for solo costs more than it saves. AF feet i have admitted i may use if i get them, but attempted to discuss why i might decide not to. Full DD setup I've considered and attempted to explain that it doesn't work well when soloing VT mobs with a Fighter NPC, based on the amount of work it takes to stay alive. As far as switching to a healer NPC, I have considered using the Pld type NPC because they have an auto-refresh trait, but stopping every 10min to rest NPC MP for 3~5 is... disheartening for me. Even if i decide not to take the advice that doesn't mean I'm not happy to have input (at least not till i give the same answer about it multiple times)

For a guy to have multi 75's bro you seem a little wet behind the ears not trying to attack you or nothing but you do realize that setting the npc to healing makes no diff than attacker unless your npc is using h2h the only diff is as attacker and pld npc will provoke(wich you don't want if your trying to keep hate off it) setting npc to healer the npc attacks just like attacker and pld only diff is it heals and does not provoke unless your in the red) and also what does waiting for scorpians to read em or ep ect... have to with you switching to GS
 Hades.Stefanos
Serveur: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2010-01-27 19:08:23
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Kalico said:
Pandemonium.Areis said:
I was looking for gear advice... if i said no the first time to a specific piece of advice and i continue saying no... that means i've rejected the idea for personal reasons with how i'm playing. If i saw a new idea i may agree or i may not, similar with gear suggestions. As it happens I would like to think i have a bit of experience in how what i'm doing is working and how it differs from the "standard" party play style. As to trying a Gsword I'll have to give it a try after Scorpions have fallen from T (tough) down to DC or EP. Being hit for up to 400 between Cold/Numbing Breath and as much as 650 with Death Scissors for now i'll stick to sword/board. I think the main idea i've shot down is Parade Gorget. For the reason that while great for party play, the latent for solo costs more than it saves. AF feet i have admitted i may use if i get them, but attempted to discuss why i might decide not to. Full DD setup I've considered and attempted to explain that it doesn't work well when soloing VT mobs with a Fighter NPC, based on the amount of work it takes to stay alive. As far as switching to a healer NPC, I have considered using the Pld type NPC because they have an auto-refresh trait, but stopping every 10min to rest NPC MP for 3~5 is... disheartening for me. Even if i decide not to take the advice that doesn't mean I'm not happy to have input (at least not till i give the same answer about it multiple times)

For a guy to have multi 75's bro you seem a little wet behind the ears not trying to attack you or nothing but you do realize that setting the npc to healing makes no diff than attacker unless your npc is using h2h the only diff is as attacker and pld npc will provoke(wich you don't want if your trying to keep hate off it) setting npc to healer the npc attacks just like attacker and pld only diff is it heals and does not provoke unless your in the red) and also what does waiting for scorpians to read em or ep ect... have to with you switching to GS

Lol what? Setting the NPC to Attacker makes it Double Attack and counter, not to mention it'll also tell you when it's going to WS. Healer-type just attacks normally and WSes whenever.
 Pandemonium.Areis
Serveur: Pandemonium
user: Areis
By Pandemonium.Areis 2010-01-27 19:14:26
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
* Soothing Healer - Heals and remedies ailments more frequently. Will also use enfeebling magic more intelligently and has Auto Regen.

This style requires the T.M. Endurance item.
Note: Healer and Soothing Healer will place their partners in top priority, whether it be curing or removing ailments.

* Stalwart Shield - Same as normal "Shield", but now will also Cure self when under 80% HP. Auto Refresh is included.

This style requires the T.M. Fortitude item.
Note: Stalwart Shield acts as a Paladin with a Warrior support job. Your fellow will therefore use spells according to a Paladin's level. Also, at level 50 your NPC will acquire Double Attack. Stalwart and normal Shield NPCs will also prioritize you when using Provoke.

* Fierce Attacker - Uses additional Weapon Skills, will notify you when at 90% TP, and Double Attack happens more frequently.

This style requires the T.M. Might item.
Note: Attacker and Fierce Attacker act as a Warrior with a Monk support job. At level 20, your NPC will gain Counter. At level 25, he or she will gain Double Attack. It also means that when equipped with Hand-to-Hand, they will have a chance to Guard.
Wiki_Entry

Healer type does not recieve Auto-Refresh but rather Auto-Regen (as a whm)
Paladin type gains auto-refresh, and will cure, but will not remove status effects or cast haste
Fighter type gains enhanced Double Attack & Counter, as well as will WS more frequently than Paladin type

Amerita (my NPC) is level 70, I've done my fair bit of work with her both as Soothing Healer & Fierce Attacker. Every time I've tried Stalwart Shield I've been less than impressed, mostly due to her low hit points & defense.

Healing type NPC also will not WS until they reach 300tp, and will not wait to make a skillchain.

As far as scorpions reading lower, the harder an enemy guages (TW > EP > DC > EM > T > VT) the harder and more often you can expect to get hit. The easier they are the more i can focus on DD and the less on needing to be able to turtle though Numbing Breath (Paralyze) or Death Scissors (which curring averages 400~ dmg with spikes up to 650)
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Serveur: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-01-27 19:14:37
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Read what I posted lol I never said /dnc for everything I said /dnc for all solo's..... so correct me if I left something out but what "solo" situtation does /rdm out do /dnc? I'm all ears.....

Voluptuous Vivian!
 Leviathan.Chaosx
Serveur: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-01-28 06:56:21
Link | Citer | R

Quick question...
I finally grabbed a pair of Valor Leggings, now do I have to keep them on for the entire length of sentinel or just macro them in when I use it?

Something like:

/equip neck "Ritter gorget"
/equip feet "Valor Leggings"
/ja sentintel <me>
/wait 1
/equip feet "Askar Gambieras"
/equip neck "Parade Gorget"

should work right?

Carbuncle.Zanno
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-01-28 07:12:53
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Quick question...
I finally grabbed a pair of Valor Leggings, now do I have to keep them on for the entire length of sentinel or just macro them in when I use it?

Something like:

/ja sentintel <me>
/wait 1

should work right?

it works like that yes, but why askar feet?
 Midgardsormr.Dominionix
Serveur: Midgardsormr
By Midgardsormr.Dominionix 2010-01-28 07:13:07
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Quick question...

Something like:

/ja sentintel <me>
/wait 1

should work right?

They only need to be equipped when the ability is used to enhance its effect, they can be taken off right after.

I should add, Sentinel is not only a great defensive measure but one of PLD's most powerful hate tools. The rest of the gear you macro in when using Sentinel should contain as much Enmity+ as possible.
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2010-01-28 07:47:35
Link | Citer | R

Midgardsormr.Dominionix said:
I should add, Sentinel is not only a great defensive measure but one of PLD's most powerful hate tools. The rest of the gear you macro in when using Sentinel should contain as much Enmity as possible.

And Macro flash in as soon after you use sentinel :P +100 enmity to flash is sweet.
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-28 07:51:25
Link | Citer | R

You don't have to have a /wait 1 between gear swaps and /ja? I thought I tried that before and it wouldn't work. Was it probably because of lag?
By Deckard 2010-01-28 07:59:45
Link | Citer | R

Flionheart i love your mofo Avi thats 'win'
 Midgardsormr.Dominionix
By Midgardsormr.Dominionix 2010-01-28 08:02:23
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Krizz said:
You don't have to have a /wait 1 between gear swaps and /ja? I thought I tried that before and it wouldn't work. Was it probably because of lag?

You do, however... You would be better to make a Sentinel macro with the sole purpose of enhancing Sentinel / increasing Enmity, and then a separate macro for your Idle Set, which returns you to normal gear.

Assuming you only have the ability to macro 6 lines, something like this:

(Note: I have no idea what gear you actually have so these are just examples)

Macro 1 (Sentinel):

/equip head "Iron Ram Sallet"
/equip body "Iron Ram Hauberk"
/equip legs "Iron Ram Hose"
/ja "Sentinel" <me>

Macro 2 (Idle Set):

/equip head "Koenig Schaller"
/equip body "Shadow Breastplate"
/equip legs "Homam Cosciales"
/equip feet "Gallant Leggings +1"

This would provide you with the slight delay you needed too, so the equipment would change back.
 Ramuh.Krizz
Serveur: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-01-28 08:06:25
Link | Citer | R

This would provide you with the slight delay you needed too, so the equipment would change back.
I meant the gear BEFORE the /ja.

/equip
/wait 1
/ja

That's how I thought it had to be. Sorry I wasn't more clear in my last post.
 Midgardsormr.Dominionix
By Midgardsormr.Dominionix 2010-01-28 09:50:48
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Krizz said:
I meant the gear BEFORE the /ja.

/equip
/wait 1
/ja

That's how I thought it had to be. Sorry I wasn't more clear in my last post.

No, you shouldn't do. Lag can occasionally cause the pieces not to equip prior to the Job Ability going off, or using a Job Ability macro straight after another action (say casting a spell), but as a general rule of thumb it doesn't need a /wait command.

I occasionally get it on my PLD where I hit my Flash macro followed right away by my Provoke macro and get "Unable to equip... bla bla bla" in the chat log, but it's rare.

The same applies sometimes to my SAM in reverse, where I have the gear macro'd prior to the Job Ability. For example: Meditate. My Meditate macro will equip both Saotome Kote and Myochin Kabuto, and then use the Job Ability. It will then /wait 1 and return me to my TP set. But sometimes I will only gain 100-120 TP instead of the 140-180 I should get from having the extra pieces macro'd in, and in the chat log see:

Equipment changed.
Dominionix uses Meditate.
Equipment changed.
*pause*
Equipment changed.
Equipment changed.

Where the game has used the Job Ability prior to registering the extra pieces of equipment being put on.

Long story short, no, you should be fine, but it will happen on occasion due to lag or whatever else.