users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Got Hacked
Got Hacked
 Bismarck.Heavendragon
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Heavendragon 2009-12-08 04:26:27
Link | Citer | R

I know a situation where i was on FFXIClopedia.de and than poped a window that looks like the Windows XP Explorer. It sayed my Antivire found a lot of Virus and Trojan on my pc. Than it want that i install a Data to clean my Pc.

My luck was that i know that i have Vista not XP. But it looks all so original. That was a chock.
 Garuda.Shizukat
Serveur: Garuda
user: Shizukat
By Garuda.Shizukat 2009-12-08 05:26:42
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Heavendragon said:
I know a situation where i was on FFXIClopedia.de and than poped a window that looks like the Windows XP Explorer. It sayed my Antivire found a lot of Virus and Trojan on my pc. Than it want that i install a Data to clean my Pc.

My luck was that i know that i have Vista not XP. But it looks all so original. That was a chock.

That is just plain old spyware/scareware acting up.
You got to remember however, that if your pc is infected with such a thing that it usually comes with a "feature" that highjacks legit banner ads, or sneaks in some code that downloads other nasty stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised that some people try to hack some accounts via this methode.

Also a simple thing that would help in that case, DO NOT USE THE SAME PASSWORD for different site/game logins.
I know it's hard to keep track of them all, but it sure helps a lot security wise.

Cerberus.Katarzyna
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-12-08 06:01:09
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Antipika said:
Once the rollback is complete, you will get an email, the process usually takes ~2 weeks, but sometime can be much longer (up to 5 weeks but that's rare).

***. When my account got hacked, it took them over 3 months to recover it. My friend's account took 5. They tell you two weeks, but it's NEVER two weeks.

My suggestion to the OP is once you request game data recovery and your account is locked (Yes, your account will be locked. No playing on mules), give SE a call once a week for a status update. SE tends to "forget" they tell you 2 weeks, which turns into several months.
[+]
 Remora.Laphine
Serveur: Remora
By Remora.Laphine 2009-12-08 06:10:31
Link | Citer | R

hmmm, thats good to know ; ;

Damn i thought it was fast to rollback a char. Bye bye dreams of valk fork or heca legs ; ;

I think i lost nearly 10M on stuff when i got hacked yesterday. Damn i have no income method but bcnms (hate craft and farm), there is no way i can get this money back without a recover.; ;
 Garuda.Antipika
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-12-08 08:05:35
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
Garuda.Antipika said:
Once the rollback is complete, you will get an email, the process usually takes ~2 weeks, but sometime can be much longer (up to 5 weeks but that's rare).

***. When my account got hacked, it took them over 3 months to recover it. My friend's account took 5. They tell you two weeks, but it's NEVER two weeks.

My suggestion to the OP is once you request game data recovery and your account is locked (Yes, your account will be locked. No playing on mules), give SE a call once a week for a status update. SE tends to "forget" they tell you 2 weeks, which turns into several months.

When did that happen ? I am talking about now (the security token era). Way less account get hacked nowadays so rollback process is way faster. Also don't assume things with only 2 case on your hands. Your account + your friend = everyone ? No.
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-12-08 19:09:04
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Antipika said:
Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
Garuda.Antipika said:

When did that happen ? I am talking about now (the security token era). Way less account get hacked nowadays so rollback process is way faster. Also don't assume things with only 2 case on your hands. Your account your friend = everyone ? No.

Well, I was hacked March 12 of this year. My friend just got his account back last week. So....July?

I'm just saying don't be surprised if it takes longer than 2 weeks, because the people that run the support center are idiots.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-12-08 19:25:07
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
Garuda.Antipika said:
Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
Garuda.Antipika said:

When did that happen ? I am talking about now (the security token era). Way less account get hacked nowadays so rollback process is way faster. Also don't assume things with only 2 case on your hands. Your account your friend = everyone ? No.

Well, I was hacked March 12 of this year. My friend just got his account back last week. So....July?

I'm just saying don't be surprised if it takes longer than 2 weeks, because the people that run the support center are idiots.

Well I really doubt that the poor dude taking your support centre call is the one processing your rollback :/ At best all he's doing is making an entry. He certainly don't have access to character save and all.

But yeah it's fairly common that customer only blame the first person that answer them even if the dude cannot do anything to make the process any faster.

As for your own case, it was certainly something complicated, like someone used different ISP several time, from different country, etc... Or you maybe gave your own account access to a 3rd party (friend etc). These cases prolly takes lot of time to investigate because SE needs to be sure that you weren't hacked "on purpose" to avoid player duplicating stuff that way.

Let's say i lend my account to a friend, he "steal" all my stuff, sell it back, sell back the gils (can do all of the above in <24hr). Then I report my account as being compromised and ask for a rollback. See the issue here ?

Now for a typical case, like most of player :

1.Been playing FF XI using the same ISP for years.
2.Never gave his password/info to a 3rd party, even a family member
3.Account get suddently accessed from China and all the sellable ***is gone

=> Quick roleback.

I just don't like the fact that players, most of the time, think that everyone working for a company is an idiot. When you listen to people :

-Devs are idiots
-GM are idiots
-Game designer are idiots
-People doing marketing/advertising are idiots
-QA are idiots
-Support centre people are idiots

Damn if everyone is so stupid why do people pay to play this game ? :<
 Bismarck.Ranu
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Ranu
By Bismarck.Ranu 2009-12-08 19:40:08
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Heavendragon said:

Actually, I had that happen here on this PC while checking FFXIclypedia. I was trying to figure out what gear I wanted, clicked on the icon for the piece, and it tried to download a virus on this PC via a fake Virus-fix. Luckily I"m not that stupid and got out of it before it could download it, and Mozilla-Firefox(though slow) caught it and removed it.

So I can confirm the virus you encountered too.
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-12-08 20:05:32
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Antipika said:
Damn if everyone is so stupid why do people pay to play this game ? :<

Because the game itself is fun. Dealing with their customer service, on the other hand, is not. I do everything in my power so I DON'T have to deal with them.

I deal in customer service every day. "I don't know" isn't an answer. You find out the answer from someone else, or you transfer them to someone else. Demanding I send sensitive information about me (not the character behind the computer screen) via something like the Postal Service is outright ridiculous. (Has SE ever heard of identity theft?)
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-12-08 20:28:50
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Demanding I send sensitive information about me (not the character behind the computer screen) via something like the Postal Service is outright ridiculous. (Has SE ever heard of identity theft?)

How so oO ? That process is even used by banks, ISP, etc.

If someone can :

-Get your POL ID
-Get your password
-Get your a copy of your birth certificate / ID card / Passport / Driver licence

Then you are obviously doing something wrong :<

People should also remember that SE don't even have to rollback your account, that's a gift they're doing to us. You are responsible for your account and your password, shall you share it with random people, or even people you thought you could trust, well that's too bad.

They're just doing it so they can keep customers :s Cause yeah someone hacked and who cannot get his account back = 1 lost customer.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-12-08 20:33:45
Link | Citer | R

I'm lol'ing so hard at this thread.
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-12-08 20:44:29
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Antipika said:
Quote:
Demanding I send sensitive information about me (not the character behind the computer screen) via something like the Postal Service is outright ridiculous. (Has SE ever heard of identity theft?)

How so oO ? That process is even used by banks, ISP, etc.

If someone can :

-Get your POL ID
-Get your password
-Get your a copy of your birth certificate / ID card / Passport / Driver licence

Then you are obviously doing something wrong :<

People should also remember that SE don't even have to rollback your account, that's a gift they're doing to us. You are responsible for your account and your password, shall you share it with random people, or even people you thought you could trust, well that's too bad.

They're just doing it so they can keep customers :s Cause yeah someone hacked and who cannot get his account back = 1 lost customer.

Difference is...I can show my ID to my bank, or my ISP IN PERSON. I don't have to rely on a third party to get my information to them. I can't just go to SE Headquarters, flash my ID ans say "ok, I am who I say I am. NOW will you investigate my claim?" First of all, it's 3000 *** mils away from where I live. Secondly, they'd laugh in my face and say "Just call POL support" to which they would say "mail in a notarized copy of your ID." What the *** is that ***?

And if you have your identity stolen, and all you're worried about is your stupid FFXI account, you have way bigger issues than you think. Identity theft is not just pertained to FFXI, ya know.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-12-08 20:48:07
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Katarzyna said:
Garuda.Antipika said:
Quote:
blahblahblah

blahblahblah.

Difference is...I can show my ID to my bank, or my ISP IN PERSON. I don't have to rely on a third party to get my information to them. I can't just go to SE Headquarters, flash my ID ans say "ok, I am who I say I am. NOW will you investigate my claim?"

And if you have your identity stolen, and all you're worried about is your stupid FFXI account, you have way bigger issues than you think. Identity theft is not just pertained to FFXI, ya know.

I pretty much silenced the other thread with something all those lines. People here think ID Theft only pertains to FFXI when in actuality your whole livelihood is in jeopardy if your ID is stolen.

Just FFXI's information alone includes your CC, full name, address, and email. People can go from there and hack into other things you have. I can bet that most of you have one, easy-to-crack password for more than one service.
 Garuda.Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-12-08 20:55:10
Link | Citer | R

Show your ID to your ISP in person ? Wtf ? That's far from being the case for all ISP in there. For most of them, all you do is sending a copy of ID through email, fax, or mail.

Even online retailer do ask for a proof of id (at least here in France) when you making an expensive purchase(like >$500)... What about Paypal ? Same stuff, gotta email them a proof of ID when you have issue with your account etc. Sometime they even ask for proof of ID, copy of credit card + bank statement / credit card statement.

That process is very common and used everywhere. Cannot blame SE for doing the same :s It's not completely secure since an employee could hijack your information yeah, so is the dude working at your bank, ISP, or whoever you showed your ID to.

I can imagine if you could go to SE HQ ask for your roleback haha, have a queue IRL, discuss with others players, meet GM in person :p Well it would be nice :D Sadly it will never happen.
Quote:
Just FFXI's information alone includes your CC, full name, address, and email.

Also birthdate, ISP~IP address, so yeah basically just have everything about us already :< (I won't even mention that they could read all your logs in-game and have more information about your life than your own husband/wife have :D).

Not like you risk something by giving them a copy of your ID I think. Not to mention that if a SE employee abuse from customer personal data, he will be easy to track down :x If I was to do that, I would certainly not doing it in a company like SE, where the customer support department is prolly not big, where everyone must know each other etc. Easier to do it in a bigger company with shitload of employees.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-12-08 21:11:57
Link | Citer | R

hehehehehe