Stop Getting It Wrong!

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Stop getting it wrong!
Stop getting it wrong!
First Page 2
 Midgardsormr.Renala
Serveur: Midgardsormr
Game: FFXI
user: Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2009-11-30 06:55:57
Link | Citer | R

Since I'm a knit-picker at lore:
Quote:
In Mesopotamian mythology, Tiamat (Tiamat (Babylonian), Tamtu (Sumerian)) is a giant female dragon which was the primordial creatrix of all existence. She created the world and the gods, though this world had no land and was a vast water-world, filled with the waters of chaos. Tiamat personified the saltwater (ocean) while her consort Apsu (Apsu (Babylonian), Abzu (Sumerian)) personified the 'sweetwater' (freshwater). The intermingling of these two waters created the gods. In the Enuma Elish (the Mesopotamian creation epic), the gods bother Tiamat & Apsu, so the two decide to kill all their children. The god Ea discovers their plan and preemptively slays Apsu or casts a spell that puts him in a death-like sleep (since the waters of Apsu still exist even after his 'death'). Tiamat then sought revenge by creating an army of monsters and a new consort, Kingu (alt. Qingu) to be their general. Tiamat was slain by Marduk who trapped her with a "net of winds", shot arrows down her throat, and then cleaved her body in two, with the upper half creating the heavens and the sky and the lower half creating the earth. Tiamat is Akkadian for "sea".

Dungeons & Dragons (one of the inspirations for the original Final Fantasy) used Tiamat as an evil dragon goddess, specifically a 5-headed dragon (one black, one red, one green, one white, one blue). This is likely where Square got the idea to place her in Final Fantasy I.

This is targetted at the recent screen shots of tiamat, and some people's comments, Btw. {Please forgive me} if you actually know this, Seems everyone I know(Not sure of ls's, since most people I know don't talk about her) don't know that she is indeed a female dragon.

Also not sure if this is even general discussion, or just whining/bitching/rambling. If it is, feel free to delete it mods~!
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Serveur: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-30 06:56:58
Link | Citer | R

Well whoever posted that is a Wikipedia cut and paster, so perhaps you should direct your rant at Wikipedia!
[+]
 Sylph.Beelshamen
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2009-11-30 06:59:48
Link | Citer | R

Well, in that case..

back in the kitchen, ***.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2009-11-30 07:00:11
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Wooooodum said:
Well whoever posted that is a Wikipedia cut and paster, so perhaps you should direct your rant at Wikipedia!

It is from wiki, I won't lie. I'm a wiki nut x.x;;

Ahem, Anyway. Wiki didn't really say he at all, it was someone on here, which is why I posted the info here ;x
[+]
 Bahamut.Rydiya
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Rydiya
By Bahamut.Rydiya 2009-11-30 07:04:05
Link | Citer | R

Of course Tia's a womanly dragon! >.> The name is too damn feminine.
[+]
 Garuda.Antipika
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-11-30 07:08:28
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Beelshamen said:

back in the kitchen, ***.

That's why the respawn time is that long, too busy cooking.
[+]
Serveur: Remora
user: iLLogiX
By Remora.Hackstealandbot 2009-11-30 07:10:46
Link | Citer | R

more importantly, who the *** cares
 Midgardsormr.Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2009-11-30 07:10:56
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Rydiya said:
Of course Tia's a womanly dragon! >.> The name is too damn feminine.

Don't ever take that for granted.

People have though "Renala" as a masculine name, Natt(Shortened nattalie) and jess(Short for jessica) as masculine names before. Sadly I don't joke v_v;;
 Midgardsormr.Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2009-11-30 07:14:50
Link | Citer | R

I figure'd I'd post the pic I was directing this at:

http://www.ffxiah.com/screenshots.php?id=30209

Hades.Cheyne mentioned tiamat as a "He" :x
 Ramuh.Dasva
Serveur: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-30 07:20:24
Link | Citer | R

Yeah but no one cares. Techinically these are there own mobs and while borrowed from other mythologies are not the same. I mean the originally certainly didn't answer to bahamut. Given the description doubt it was weak to water either lol.

So perhaps this Tiamat is a he. Or genderless. Or maybe transgender
 Midgardsormr.Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2009-11-30 07:23:18
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Yeah but no one cares. Techinically these are there own mobs and while borrowed from other mythologies are not the same. I mean the originally certainly didn't answer to bahamut.

Thats true, she could be. In d&d, she was a (Correct me if I'm wrong) hydra who apposed bahamut(Or was a black dragon who apposed bahamut, I forget..). But in this, she's a dragon, and works under him. Jorg(Midgar snake) is a dragon as well, so in that same sense "Wtf" comes to question, but in the same sense again, SE needed some bigger names/dragon names with heavy lore behind it, which might be the reasoning behind them using the dragons ^^/
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-30 07:28:49
Link | Citer | R

Midgardsormr.Renala said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Yeah but no one cares. Techinically these are there own mobs and while borrowed from other mythologies are not the same. I mean the originally certainly didn't answer to bahamut. So perhaps this Tiamat is a he. Or genderless. Or maybe transgender
Thats true, she could be. In d&d, she was a (Correct me if I'm wrong) hydra who apposed bahamut(Or was a black dragon who apposed bahamut, I forget..). But in this, she's a dragon, and works under him. Jorg(Midgar snake) is a dragon as well, so in that same sense "Wtf" comes to question, but in the same sense again, SE needed some bigger names/dragon names with heavy lore behind it, which might be the reasoning behind them using the dragons ^^/
Yeah and they never did name the other dozen or so that were in the mix in the cutscenes lol. Though really they could've found more real dragons but might have been hard to find them related to each other or as powerful in the lore.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-30 07:37:00
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Yeah but no one cares. Techinically these are there own mobs and while borrowed from other mythologies are not the same. I mean the originally certainly didn't answer to bahamut. Given the description doubt it was weak to water either lol.

Traditionally you stop talking after the "no one cares" part, else you do indeed, care.
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
Serveur: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-11-30 07:39:41
Link | Citer | R

Actually I'm pretty sure all the wyrms in that CoP CS before Ouryu fight are NM's from somewhere around Vana'Diel.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-30 07:40:02
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Wooooodum said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Yeah but no one cares. Techinically these are there own mobs and while borrowed from other mythologies are not the same. I mean the originally certainly didn't answer to bahamut. Given the description doubt it was weak to water either lol. So perhaps this Tiamat is a he. Or genderless. Or maybe transgender
Traditionally you stop talking after the "no one cares" part, else you do indeed, care.
I have a strong distaste for tradition
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-11-30 07:41:07
Link | Citer | R

Since dragons don't exsist, I use the pronoun 'it.'
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-11-30 07:41:50
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Stop getting it wrong!

Ok.

Phew, sure glad I read this thread. *cough*
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-30 07:42:35
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Haseyo said:

You must be single.
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-11-30 07:43:35
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Wooooodum said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
You must be single.

True, but wat.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2009-11-30 08:55:59
Link | Citer | R

This forum has turned to the wrong direction.... if it ever HAD a right direction x.x;;;
Quote:
Yeah and they never did name the other dozen or so that were in the mix in the cutscenes lol. Though really they could've found more real dragons but might have been hard to find them related to each other or as powerful in the lore.

Ahem, anyway. I can't remember, i saw.. vrtra, tiamat, jorg, nigh, ouryu, and like, another one shown before 4-2 fight. But I know they have names on the other two x.x;;
 Lakshmi.Vawn
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Vawn
By Lakshmi.Vawn 2009-11-30 09:47:58
Link | Citer | R

What's the point of this? Shiva was a male in lore and female in FF.
 Asura.Korpg
Serveur: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-30 10:15:55
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Vawn said:
I think the point of it all is to get the story straight.

Shiva is an Indian God (Buddhist) and since the Japanese love to make fun of religion, they made Shiva into a woman while keeping some of its "characteristic" traits (blue skin among other things).

So, anything goes in this game to be honest.

He/she/it doesn't really matter, because "it" is still dead after I'm done with it.
 Gilgamesh.Areaden
Serveur: Gilgamesh
user: Areaden
By Gilgamesh.Areaden 2009-11-30 10:54:26
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Korpg said:
Lakshmi.Vawn said:
I think the point of it all is to get the story straight.

Shiva is an Indian God (Buddhist) and since the Japanese love to make fun of religion, they made Shiva into a woman while keeping some of its "characteristic" traits (blue skin among other things).

So, anything goes in this game to be honest.

He/she/it doesn't really matter, because "it" is still dead after I'm done with it.

Shiva is the Ice goddess in Greek myths. She is a she. The Indian version of Shiva is the god of death not ice. So I think Square used the Greek version.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-11-30 10:57:45
Link | Citer | R

Tiamat is clearly female... she's a *** who doesn't put out.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-30 11:03:06
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Tiamat is clearly female... she's a *** who doesn't put out.
***'s or GTFO?
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
Serveur: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-11-30 11:25:11
Link | Citer | R

Shiva, Ifrit, Ramuh, I think many of the avatars are genderless djinni in some myth/religions.
 Garuda.Feifongwong
By Garuda.Feifongwong 2009-11-30 11:47:53
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Blazza said:
Shiva, Ifrit, Ramuh, I think many of the avatars are genderless djinni in some myth/religions.

Shiva - "It's a trap!"
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Serveur: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-11-30 11:48:57
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Feifongwong said:
Odin.Blazza said:

Shiva - "It's the clap!"

fixed
 Fenrir.Dramanue
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Dramanue
By Fenrir.Dramanue 2009-11-30 12:33:44
Link | Citer | R

Yep, Tiamat is a she. I think She's even been mentioned as a "she" in some publications about FF. I think the FF1 strat guide for the PSP version (I can't recall if the original Nintendo Power strat guide for FF1 did also...) refers to Her as a "she" as well.

As far as the transgender possibility, I'm all for it. /d/ all the way. ^_^b
 Midgardsormr.Renala
By Midgardsormr.Renala 2009-11-30 12:38:04
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Dramanue said:
Yep, Tiamat is a she. I think She's even been mentioned as a "she" in some publications about FF. I think the FF1 strat guide for the PSP version (I can't recall if the original Nintendo Power strat guide for FF1 did also...) refers to Her as a "she" as well.

As far as the transgender possibility, I'm all for it. /d/ all the way. ^_^b

Why is 4chan being brought up!!...And why do I know it? Damnit. Anyway, yeah. Its like how carby is a he, and cait sith is a she. They refer to them occassionaly, but not many times..
First Page 2