WAR TANK?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Warrior » WAR TANK?
WAR TANK?
First Page 2 3 4
 Odin.Gellvos
Serveur: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Gellvos
By Odin.Gellvos 2009-11-25 14:12:52
Link | Citer | R

ok so yeah my first job was warrior and still love it now, but from all of the JA lke Defender and Retaliation and armour war get with the enmity in from relic and artefact are SE trying to tell us something ... or do they just like watching Warriors pull hate and dying.
 Sylph.Kehl
Serveur: Sylph
user: Kehl
By Sylph.Kehl 2009-11-25 14:15:27
Link | Citer | R

i think its from when the game first came out WAR was like the only job that was possible of being a tank so thats why the emnity on the pieces of gear i think
[+]
Serveur: Kujata
By Kujata.Thevenominside 2009-11-25 14:23:19
Link | Citer | R

If WAR gear towards defensive gear instead of the flat out DD ***you always see, they could tank easily.

People are just to lazy to.
[+]
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
Serveur: Ramuh
user: phatspade
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2009-11-25 14:26:13
Link | Citer | R

Kujata.Thevenominside said:
If WAR gear towards defensive gear instead of the flat out DD ***you always see, they could tank easily. People are just to lazy to.

I think it's more that they believe PLD is the only tank as they also see SAM is the only DD in the game.
[+]
 Odin.Moondaddy
user: Moondaddy
By Odin.Moondaddy 2009-11-25 14:26:47
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Gellvos said:
ok so yeah my first job was warrior and still love it now, but from all of the JA lke Defender and Retaliation and armour war get with the enmity in from relic and artefact are SE trying to tell us something ... or do they just like watching Warriors who use af and relic instead of good gear pull hate and dying.

>.> fixed
[+]
 Bismarck.Barrd
Serveur: Bismarck
user: barrd
By Bismarck.Barrd 2009-11-25 14:35:20
Link | Citer | R

A war can tank allmost any thing a pld can . It just staying alive depend all on the mages doing there job too keep him alive
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2009-11-25 14:35:44
Link | Citer | R

war can tank but it better as a DD and has flaws in it tanking stance. I've used war/blu in campaign and other things and could literally push my def to 999 greatly lowering dmg i took and also having stun and cures. Though the lack of mp makings it require a lot of specialized gear. Ive also sen war/dnc who can spam cur ebut then loses it dd output making it hard to hold hate as well and war/nin (not my first choice) and war/sam, even a war/pld though again had the mp issue. One thing you got remember SE even said ina interview while back they never intended for partys to have a set tank but to bounce hate. I think jobs liek pld were more meant for event stuff then xp/merit party tanking.
[+]
 Valefor.Sketchkat
Serveur: Valefor
user: sketchkat
By Valefor.Sketchkat 2009-11-25 14:38:26
Link | Citer | R

Ramuh.Lilbusta said:
If WAR gear towards defensive gear instead of the flat out DD ***you always see, they could tank easily. People are just to lazy to.

I think it's more that they believe PLD is the only tank as they also see SAM is the only DD in the game.

That sounds about right. It's ironic that even though FFXI has far and away the most versatile job system out there, its players are the most resistant to change.

And yeah, I think Warrior is a perfectly capable tank if geared for it.
[+]
By Kujata.Thevenominside 2009-11-25 14:45:12
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sketchkat said:
Ramuh.Lilbusta said:

That sounds about right. It's ironic that even though FFXI has far and away the most versatile job system out there, its players are the most resistant to change.

And yeah, I think Warrior is a perfectly capable tank if geared for it.

I didnt play the game on release, but what the hell would they do back then?

Warrior is a tank, and there are plently of support jobs to support them nowadays.

If you ask me player should have stopped being lazy when PLD and NIN was released, and WAR should also be tanks too.

If people wanted to tank on WAR and geared towards a tank more then they would get more invites and it would make the game easier for everyone!

[+]
 Odin.Kalico
user: Panthra
By Odin.Kalico 2009-11-25 14:46:43
Link | Citer | R

I saw a War/Pld do some serious tanking. I almost forgot dude was War
lol
[+]
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
Serveur: Ramuh
user: phatspade
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2009-11-25 14:49:46
Link | Citer | R

If ppl would get off the bandwagon and start thinking outside of the box then WAR would be invited more.
[+]
 Caitsith.Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2009-11-25 14:49:59
Link | Citer | R

only prob is a war geared for def just doesnt pull nearly as much hate so then negates the abuilty to be a tank. Also i forgot war/mnk know a old school galka who did some amazing ***with that.
[+]
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
By dameshi 2009-11-25 15:04:11
Link | Citer | R

If SE didn't want WAR to tank, why would they give them Provoke?
[+]
 Titan.Xantavia
Serveur: Titan
user: xantavia
By Titan.Xantavia 2009-11-25 15:05:31
Link | Citer | R

I was in a non-traditional party fighting sea puks, and the WAR/sam did a fine job tanking for us. It really suprised me at the time, but it worked. (oh, party setup was war, rng, pup, drg, thf, smn)
 Phoenix.Slytribal
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Slykun
By Phoenix.Slytribal 2009-11-25 15:12:52
Link | Citer | R

Some jobs just don't go as SE intended them to be. SAM was created to be a tank who was meant to keep hate with WSs as a new alternative, but this only made them DDs to players. NIN was meant to be a ranged DD, but of course, with their shadows, they became tanks.

War was intended to be the original tank, who could also DD, the 'well rounded melee' job that SE always has them to be in other games.
Sure with the right equipment they could possibly have a good tank run, but with the damage they can bring, that's why most people play the job from what I've been told, they don't want to tank.

Also, from my view on some War tanks I've partied with, even fully defensively equipped, they drain my Rdm's MP far too quickly, even with a Whm in the party too. It's just constant cure after cure. SE didn't think it through, once again.
[+]
 Caitsith.Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2009-11-25 15:24:09
Link | Citer | R

dameshi said:
If SE didn't want WAR to tank, why would they give them Provoke?
to save the dieing mage/rng lol
[+]
 Odin.Kalico
user: Panthra
By Odin.Kalico 2009-11-25 15:37:56
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Slytribal said:
Some jobs just don't go as SE intended them to be. SAM was created to be a tank who was meant to keep hate with WSs as a new alternative, but this only made them DDs to players. NIN was meant to be a ranged DD, but of course, with their shadows, they became tanks. War was intended to be the original tank, who could also DD, the 'well rounded melee' job that SE always has them to be in other games. Sure with the right equipment they could possibly have a good tank run, but with the damage they can bring, that's why most people play the job from what I've been told, they don't want to tank. Also, from my view on some War tanks I've partied with, even fully defensively equipped, they drain my Rdm's MP far too quickly, even with a Whm in the party too. It's just constant cure after cure. SE didn't think it through, once again.

Just curious how was Nin a Ranged DD
then it has Marksmanship C Archery E ?
just asking :o
 Phoenix.Slytribal
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Slykun
By Phoenix.Slytribal 2009-11-25 15:43:07
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Kalico said:
Just curious how was Nin a Ranged DD
then it has Marksmanship C Archery E ?
just asking :o

A- Throwing and high damage low delay shurikens. May not have WSs on them, but that's what they were meant for.
[+]
 Cerberus.Eanae
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Eanae
By Cerberus.Eanae 2009-11-25 15:47:03
Link | Citer | R

It's not that war can't take the damage. It's that war has no real hate tools. Provoke is useless as a hate tool in endgame tanking. It's purely VE that will decay rapidly compared to what a Pld/nin, Nin/Drk, or Rdm/Nin could put out in terms of both VE and CE. Warrior just doesn't have the means to create the CE needed to be an effective tank. Bloodtanking in any form is dead, so other forms of subjobs other then ninja on warrior as a tank aren't viable.
[+]
 Bismarck.Altar
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2009-11-25 15:59:19
Link | Citer | R

Wars tank all the time...
In merit parties.

Eanae beat me to it (again) but yeah, The days of stacking vit/def are pretty much over and if a War was to gear for tanking, then over a prolonged fight they would have very little means of keeping hate due to decreased damage output.

But what's with everyone saying Wars can't get invites? >.> They probably get more invites to more diverse events than any melee besides Sam.

Bismarck.Barrd said:
A war can tank allmost any thing a pld can . It just staying alive depend all on the mages doing there job too keep him alive
You could use that logic for any job really...
[+]
 Odin.Ahligieri
user: jaeganja
By Odin.Ahligieri 2009-11-25 16:03:07
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Moondaddy said:
Odin.Gellvos said:
ok so yeah my first job was warrior and still love it now, but from all of the JA lke Defender and Retaliation and armour war get with the enmity in from relic and artefact are SE trying to tell us something ... or do they just like watching Warriors who use af and relic get lol'd at and not pull hate over properly geared jobs.

>.> fixed

Fixed twice. Ain't pullin no hate with that ***.
[+]
 Leviathan.Solare
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Solare
By Leviathan.Solare 2009-11-25 17:20:10
Link | Citer | R

WAR/MNK used to be awesome back in the day. A well equiped WAR/MNK with G-Axe and some VIT gear would out DD, and tank highly well. WAR/SAM was the same. Nice mix between VIT and STR/ACC and you have a very good tank.

It wasn't untill /NIN came out, and a job that wasn't played by too many people, started to get played by every other person. Way back when, It was very un-common to see WAR/NIN's.

Then, the switch to dual wielding and /NIN onry. Thats when the beloved job started to slip. People were only gearing for STR/ACC. Ignoring our AF and JSE.

There will never be WAR tanks really again. Since the implenting of NIN, and the horde of newbs. We are just a DD. If you wanna see a fun tank do crazy DMG and hold his own. Go WAR/MNK. You wanna be a pansy like all the newbs, go WAR/NIN.

I remember back in the day, it was about 54 when I switched to /NIN from /MNK. I had nice VIT and STR gear (Gear swapping then was un heard of) My DEF was higher then a PLD of the same lvl. I could hold hate better, do better DMG. But, these were the days when you had WHM, RDM and BLM, a tank, and two people who could make a distortion SC.
[+]
By Kujata.Thevenominside 2009-11-26 06:00:17
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Solare said:
WAR/MNK used to be awesome back in the day. A well equiped WAR/MNK with G-Axe and some VIT gear would out DD, and tank highly well. WAR/SAM was the same. Nice mix between VIT and STR/ACC and you have a very good tank.

It wasn't untill /NIN came out, and a job that wasn't played by too many people, started to get played by every other person. Way back when, It was very un-common to see WAR/NIN's.

Then, the switch to dual wielding and /NIN onry. Thats when the beloved job started to slip. People were only gearing for STR/ACC. Ignoring our AF and JSE.

There will never be WAR tanks really again. Since the implenting of NIN, and the horde of newbs. We are just a DD. If you wanna see a fun tank do crazy DMG and hold his own. Go WAR/MNK. You wanna be a pansy like all the newbs, go WAR/NIN.

I remember back in the day, it was about 54 when I switched to /NIN from /MNK. I had nice VIT and STR gear (Gear swapping then was un heard of) My DEF was higher then a PLD of the same lvl. I could hold hate better, do better DMG. But, these were the days when you had WHM, RDM and BLM, a tank, and two people who could make a distortion SC.

WAR who dont want to tank when there is no NIN or PLD are just annoying and fussy and i dont invite them.
[+]
 Cerberus.Eanae
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Eanae
By Cerberus.Eanae 2009-11-26 09:30:14
Link | Citer | R

Pre-ni a single warrior tank is inefficient. You need to be bouncing hate between two-three DD's. A single warrior tank is probably going to end up getting the warrior killed quite a few times. Essentially you want to play every party without a dedicated tank like a merit party.
[+]
Serveur: Remora
By Remora.Blackwhirlwind 2009-11-27 09:20:55
Link | Citer | R

When ever i was invited to merit parties i would tank sub nin, never tried as sub sam would proably have up seigan&third eye up the whole time, as for any other situation like soloing id sub dnc because id rather have infinite tp than to run out of mp subing whm, just keep retaliate up and im getting tp back for every curing waltz i use.
 Gilgamesh.Tallulah
Serveur: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Tallulah 2009-11-27 09:45:59
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Eanae said:
Bloodtanking in any form is dead, so other forms of subjobs other then ninja on warrior as a tank aren't viable.

I don't know why PLD/NIN didn't come along sooner. The good old days of PLD/WARs and RDMs and WHMs /smn at fafnir for Aerial Armor rotation. That is old school.
Ninja edit;
On topic WAR can tank in a pinch, but not as effectively in my opinion. I had a Nyzul team and was WAR/NIN and the only real means of "tank". Nyzul or Merit parties; I wouldn't call that exactly tanking. Stuff dies too fast in most of these situations.
IMO, war is an adequate tank, but not very realistic for anything that is alive longer than a minute. I view war as a DD and not a real tank.
[+]
 Leviathan.Syagin
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Kerron
By Leviathan.Syagin 2009-11-27 10:00:35
Link | Citer | R

Unless someone can show themself out tanking a pld as a war to even give this conversation any sort of a viable argument and making yourslef look like talkative idiots all these speculations are just pointless.

Because from my understanding cures are what hold the hate (unless your a rdm tank)and the modern day tanks are always /nin "for the most part" so i'm going to need some good persuation as to how war to possibly out tank a pld. Because me personally id rather have as little healing as possible so im able to have more dmg to kill faster instead of a pt dam near filled w/ healrs cure bombing a war tank. ffs i'm not an ol' skool player but im pretty sure thats why pld/war is now obsolete. idk thats my two cents
[+]
 Bismarck.Altar
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2009-11-27 10:03:34
Link | Citer | R

Gilgamesh.Tallulah said:
I don't know why PLD/NIN didn't come along sooner.

Could be wrong, but I believe Pld/Nin was started by a combination of the Shield Mastery Updates and the research that brought about the realization of how useless provoke was in extended fights.
 Siren.Enternius
Serveur: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-27 10:07:59
Link | Citer | R

This whole thread made me laugh hard.

[+]
 Diabolos.Otahar
Serveur: Diabolos
user: Takustar
By Diabolos.Otahar 2009-11-27 10:56:23
Link | Citer | R

I've made parties using 2 war/nin's cos i couldn't find a PLD. It works out pretty well as long as both war's pay attention to each other. IMO a lot better than having a PLD because the mob died faster. As stated earlier, War's have become branded as DD and they become fussy and lazy if you ask them to share tank. They're missing out on awesome XP
[+]
First Page 2 3 4