Anyone Got A Drg Guide ( Bg Wiki Been Deleted)

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » anyone got a drg guide ( bg wiki been deleted)
anyone got a drg guide ( bg wiki been deleted)
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Serveur: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-06-24 15:39:54
Link | Citer | R

Viciouss said: »
Didn't he create his own private server? And then lose it? Or something?
He was on Draylo levels of hatred about private servers, and then all of a sudden turned heel and was stanning them like gods gift to the XI community. Cats Eye server even named a NPC in his honor.
[+]
By LightningHelix 2024-06-24 15:40:27
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
Phoenix.Gavroches said: »
all his guides
he had guides?

Like I never heard of this dude until today.
Remember all the guides written like it was 2005? Those were him!

You know, when I'm reading a Blue Mage guide and I'm scrolling down the list of swords, the information I really want is:
Spicyryan on Eminent Scimitar said:
Your first baby, and unfortunately you should have just picked up some Plan B.
Spicyryan on Xiutleato said:
Much like the tasty *** that it is though, do not bring this to your family dinner on real content higher than ~Delve.
Spicyryan on Claidheamh Soluis said:
You could skip over the previous weapons and mainhand this IF you want to spend a lot of time trying to not get*** in the eye by the random augment system for the weapon. I don't really recommend this not only because*** isn't too fun in ones eye, but because it is a waste of time and money unless you get lucky.
or maybe I'm just chillin, having a good pride month, checkin out what he thinks about this random sword...
Spicyryan on Buramenk'ah said:
Perhaps you are starting out here, and that is good for you, but this is a solid sword you can start feeling strong with. Good for you, fgt.
hell yeah happy pride month I just got called a slur for no reason this is what we want in our community

On the one hand I feel a little bad about being so aggro about this, dude's clearly having a bad time on the internet. On the other, is he gonna delete his splinter ffxi subreddit? Cause this is already funny but I could go for some more laughs.

The single point of credit I will give him is that - as of my submitting this post - he has not deleted his Quickstart 1-119 guide on the BG wiki, which I personally think is the most useful guide on that entire wiki. Seemingly deliberately, because he edited it today but only changed one line to no longer call it a "crappy guide".
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-06-24 15:42:41
Link | Citer | R

He's been banned from pretty much everything related to XI, when he got banned from the XI reddit he made his own version purely out of spite and tried hard to shill it on Bgwiki to get his own back on them for daring to ban him. He attacked players when he went on witch hunts if he thought they bought gil (this is why he got banned from XI reddit, constant bullying).

He was anti private server for years, till one of the guys running one sucked up to him cause he kept showing himself in their discord. He immediately fell in love with the *** being performed on him and did a 180 and helped with the private server for a while, hating on retail from then on and saying it was dead and being negative about it constantly on the official forums. The tipping point that made him fall in love was the offer to have an NPC in lower jeuno named after him in the game, which he was incredibly proud of.

The guy running the private server was originally from Israel, and he decided it would be a good idea to go full Palestine defense force on his discord and so got removed from there too.

He thinks the community is in the wrong and he is a victim. He is a complete moron, and I have no doubt he will try ruin bgwiki before he is done.
[+]
By Draylo 2024-06-24 15:44:01
Link | Citer | R

He was encouraging people to ignore all other wikis and focus only on one. This is why that is a bad idea and to not put all your stock into one single thing. As more and more people quit or "move on" this can easily happen again because a lot ex-XI players are spiteful bitter people. Some people only do these things for self gratification not bettering the community. So when they don't feel the recognition and love they want they become scornful.
[+]
By Afania 2024-06-24 15:45:24
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Vyre said: »
But I read his DRG guide before. There was nothing particularly wrong with it, and it was up to date, but one glaring issue I had with it, was that it said to not bother questing Impulse Drive because you'll just get it from Shining One when you make Shining One... Neglecting that you don't just roll out of level 99 with full Ambuscade capability nor pulse weapons...

Every guide writers will have their own opinions on optimal strategy because they have different experience. That is perfectly fine imo.

Personally I am kind of player who really enjoys building my own sets so I don't really use other people's gear sets. but I do enjoy reading other good player's opinions on optimal playstyle for inspiration, even if I don't always agree with it.

For me personally the biggest strength of those guides aren't gear sets:they can be built easily with tools like sim or spreadsheets. The important parts of those guides are certain mindsets on playing those jobs from the pov of an experienced player.
[+]
By Afania 2024-06-24 15:54:26
Link | Citer | R

Draylo said: »
Some people only do these things for self gratification not bettering the community

Why can't it be both?

People aren't machines. You already aren't making money from guides if you don't even get self gratification what's the point to do it? "Bettering community" and "self gratification" aren't mutually exclusive. That's a big part of why people do charity or volunteer irl.
[+]
By Sevu 2024-06-24 15:57:37
Link | Citer | R

RadialArcana said: »
He's been banned from pretty much everything related to XI, when he got banned from the XI reddit he made his own version purely out of spite and tried hard to shill it on Bgwiki to get his own back on them for daring to ban him. He attacked players when he went on witch hunts if he thought they bought gil (this is why he got banned from XI reddit, constant bullying).

He was anti private server for years, till one of the guys running one sucked up to him cause he kept showing himself in their discord. He immediately fell in love with the *** being performed on him and did a 180 and helped with the private server for a while, hating on retail from then on and saying it was dead and being negative about it constantly on the official forums. The tipping point that made him fall in love was the offer to have an NPC in lower jeuno named after him in the game, which he was incredibly proud of.

The guy running the private server was originally from Israel, and he decided it would be a good idea to go full Palestine defense force on his discord and so got removed from there too.

He thinks the community is in the wrong and he is a victim. He is a complete moron, and I have no doubt he will try ruin bgwiki before he is done.

If I recall correctly, his argument to starting his own subreddit (that no one seem to be using), was due to mods on the FFXI reddit wasn't so active. He always give me weird vibes.
By Draylo 2024-06-24 16:04:26
Link | Citer | R

Afania said: »
Some people only do these things for self gratification not bettering the community

Why can't it be both?

People aren't machines. You already aren't making money from guides if you don't even get self gratification what's the point to do it? "Bettering community" and "self gratification" aren't mutually exclusive. That's a big part of why people do charity or volunteer irl.

It is both surely, but just saying don't count on things being there forever or only using one source for things. These types of people will delete their stuff to spite others was my point. That was why I was against telling people to never edit any other wiki or information source. The guy on OF was contributing to each wiki available with some guide and he kept telling him not to do anywhere except bg wiki. During this era where people come and go you can't rely on that stuff like before.
[+]
By Meeble 2024-06-24 16:19:15
Link | Citer | R

Afania said: »

Why can't it be both?

Both is fine.

It's hard to claim you care about a community when you're actively trying to spite it, though.

A more appropriate/mature response would have been editing his guides with a disclaimer that he was stepping away from BGwiki and/or the XI community due to whatever and just walking away. I appreciated the work he put in and his unique perspectives on things as well, but if he's going to act like this then the community is better off without him.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2024-06-24 16:29:10
Link | Citer | R

there is no I in team. But there is an I in Spicyryan.
[+]
 Bahamut.Orlanda
Serveur: Bahamut
user: afraidnot
By Bahamut.Orlanda 2024-06-24 16:45:36
Link | Citer | R

Has Funkworkz commented yet on this guy vandalizing his wiki that so much work has gone into? At first I thought it was slimy to delete content from the wiki just to spite people (and validate others' opinions of you), but then I noticed he deleted just about everything in the Community Black Mage Guide and I'm sure many others. He should have his admin accesses revoked so he cannot wipe out information that's been preserved for 20+ years.

It's a shame because I've really enjoyed the DRG, THF, and BLM guide content that ryan has put out but this tantrum has immediately made me realize that what his "haters" have been warning people about is probably not too far off from the truth.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-06-24 16:50:41
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Orlanda said: »
his wiki

whose what now
[+]
By Pantafernando 2024-06-24 16:54:17
Link | Citer | R

Make FFXIclopedia Great Again
[+]
By Sevu 2024-06-24 16:56:38
Link | Citer | R

Is it not possible to use the waybackmachine to view the deleted guides and re-create it that way?

But, as others pointed out I'm sure someone eventually will step in and make updated guides.
 Asura.Eiryl
Serveur: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-06-24 17:02:50
Link | Citer | R

The second post in this thread is already that. The link to the guide from a year ago.

DRG from 23 is basically up to date.
BLU needs to be rebuilt, the newest version on wayback is just bad.
THF looks more or less "right" despite arguments of dagger
[+]
By jubes 2024-06-24 17:05:31
Link | Citer | R

pretty sure there are backups available if bg admins want to restore anything. looking through everything that got tanked, the guide to filtering yells was probably the most beneficial to the community imo. job guides come and go, and many have multiple authors, so not a huge loss there.
[+]
 Bahamut.Orlanda
By Bahamut.Orlanda 2024-06-24 17:12:57
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
his wiki

whose what now
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-06-24 17:14:20
Link | Citer | R

I'm not about to say that moderating a wiki and maintaining the scrapers necessary for ensuring they remain up to date isn't important or anything, but attributing the entire wiki to one man is insane. If we want to be technical, Ragns "owns" the wiki.
[+]
By Meeble 2024-06-24 17:15:01
Link | Citer | R

Sevu said: »
Is it not possible to use the waybackmachine to view the deleted guides and re-create it that way?

They're his guides. If he wants to undo or take back all of his contributions, that's his choice.

Is it petty and harmful to the community? Sure. But re-uploading copies of someone's guides to the wiki against their wishes would be harmful to the community in a different way. Please don't do that.
[+]
 Bahamut.Orlanda
By Bahamut.Orlanda 2024-06-24 17:17:18
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
I'm not about to say that moderating a wiki and maintaining the scrapers necessary for ensuring they remain up to date isn't important or anything, but attributing the entire wiki to one man is insane. If we want to be technical, Ragns "owns" the wiki.
I don't think it's insane to suggest that the person who oversees the wiki might be in a position to fix said wiki after someone vandalizes it.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-06-24 17:18:03
Link | Citer | R

Removing your own edits/articles isn't vandalism. Vandalism would be if Spicy deleted guides like the Return to Vana'diel one which are based on someone else's work to begin with, which he didn't do.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2024-06-24 17:24:07
Link | Citer | R

Meeble said: »

They're his guides. If he wants to undo or take back all of his contributions, that's his choice.

Is it petty and harmful to the community? Sure. But re-uploading copies of someone's guides to the wiki against their wishes would be harmful to the community in a different way. Please don't do that.

To be completely honest, gearsets are standardized. If you cut all the spicy *** and repaste the gearsets, then it makes no difference.

Literally anyone can pull up the calculator thread and pull them all back up. Its just time that was already spent by someone else.

If literally everyone here goes there, plugs in status, youll all get the exact same answer. We pretend thats it some grand gesture to type conditions and paste the spitout set but it inst. It's just time spent.
[+]
 Asura.Hya
user: HyaAsura
By Asura.Hya 2024-06-24 17:25:09
Link | Citer | R

He also has not (yet) removed the 1-119 guide, which was nearly completely his own work. It's the absolute #1 guide linked throughout all communities for new and returning players, and is the only one of its kind. I'll be the first person to tell you Ryan can be an idiot, but if he wants to take down his job guides that's entirely his prerogative. Maintaining a job guide is constant work, and for someone who doesn't play anymore, why would anyone expect him to do so? I do, however, look forward to the excellent new guides that everyone here will surely write and maintain which are far and away better than what we had before.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kaius
By Bahamut.Kaius 2024-06-24 17:25:42
Link | Citer | R

There's no issue with deleting guides he solely contributed to - the ones that say "This is NOT a community guide" etc. However, if you choose to contribute to a COMMUNITY guide with gear sets or whatever else, you can choose delete it sure, but the community can choose to put it back. No one owns the gearset. Even if he devised it, innovated it or what not, he chose to post it on a community guide.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kaius
By Bahamut.Kaius 2024-06-24 17:27:01
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Hya said: »
I do, however, look forward to the excellent new guides that everyone here will surely write and maintain which are far and away better than what we had before.

This 100%. The solely owned Spicyryan guides were necessary evils, generally outdated and full of useless commentary and advertising for podcasts etc.
[+]
 Bahamut.Orlanda
By Bahamut.Orlanda 2024-06-24 17:30:34
Link | Citer | R

The whole point of a wiki is to be a compendium and sum total of information on a topic - he is deleting content from individual mob pages, user talk pages, and more if you go through the edit history.

I understand the temptation to make this about who "owns" content on a wiki, but the whole idea of a wiki is contributing to the greater knowledge base.
By Sevu 2024-06-24 17:36:13
Link | Citer | R

Meeble said: »

You're right. I'm thinking more from a user perspective. It's a huge *** move in my eyes but ultimately, if it's his own guides and not community guides then I suppose its up to him.

I wouldn't up and delete all my contribution on the Wiki if I quit, but that's me.
 Asura.Hya
user: HyaAsura
By Asura.Hya 2024-06-24 17:39:01
Link | Citer | R

The whole point of a wiki is to be a compendium and sum total of information on a topic - he is deleting content from individual mob pages, user talk pages, and more if you go through the edit history.
Are you just looking at -'s and assuming this means deleting content?
Compare the current edit for Mantids to the older edit. He isn't removing any of the data that you are accusing him of. The guy is a petty *** but not even he has time to go through and undo all the edits from a decade+ of contributions.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-06-24 17:41:10
Link | Citer | R

he is deleting content from individual mob pages

? Did you actually look at the edits or are you just looking at a red number and assuming that means content was removed from the page? You can say what you want about the morals and ethics of removing his guides but let's not start spreading lies. As an example, the Marolith page is one of the "offenders" that looks like content was removed but if you actually click the page and check the revision history you'd see that all he did was remove placeholder images on the elemental resistances for the mob and replaced them with actual data.
[+]
 Bahamut.Orlanda
By Bahamut.Orlanda 2024-06-24 17:43:02
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Hya said: »
Are you just looking at -'s and assuming this means deleting content?
Compare the current edit for Mantids to the older edit. He isn't removing any of the data that you are accusing him of. The guy is a petty *** but not even he has time to go through and undo all the edits from a decade+ of contributions.
Yes, that was my assumption for sure - I think his conduct has removed the benefit of the doubt when I see deletions lol.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8