Square Enix expects loss of $140 million
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Asura.Saevel
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Saevel 2024-05-03 16:10:43
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Thorny said: »
My attempt to interpret what Radial is trying to say is that AI doesn't understand the source material. To boost the quality, they need to use algorithmic assumptions to fill in the blanks, so to speak. Because these are not perfect, they interpret some of the details wrong and end up removing them in the process. So, you get a sharper image but it's less true to the source material. It's still technically HD, but it's not really a HD remaster.

This is apparent with the aketon; the original has a lot of dull shading that appears to be intended as creases and imperfections. The AI upscaled one removed most of that. The hand-upscale(or whatever his spoilered picture is) kept it(and added further detail).

Most of Ashenbubs stuff does not add any further detail, so while they are clearly sharper, they still have a bland feel to me.

Thankfully the board has all the post material.

The original topic post was

K123 said: »
The best thing they could do to make it easy to install and run is make it run on DirectX 12 or Vulkan.

They can use AI to upscale all textures without much manual labour to increase graphics quality while they're at it.

To which I responded

Asura.Saevel said: »
The best thing they could do to make it easy to install and run is make it run on DirectX 12 or Vulkan.

They can use AI to upscale all textures without much manual labour to increase graphics quality while they're at it.

We've already done that with other tools. Use the dx8to9 proxy then bolt DXVK onto it and viola Vulkan. I kinda like reshade and Vulkan doesn't help these extremely old engines.

Oh and it's like people haven't hard of AshenBubs or something.

https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy11/mods/1

Use XIPivot with AshenbubsHD-Basic and you will way better textures. Combine that with dgVoodoo2 + Reshade and the graphics look much better.

Notice the complete lack of the words "HD Remaster"

To which Radial had a conniption fit insisting that Ashbubs HD upscaled textures were not in fact HD (High Definition)

RadialArcana said: »
Ashenbubs mods are not HD (having a bigger texture size does not make them HD, having more detail does), they look worse than the original textures honestly. They offer a stylized version of the textures though which some appreciate (I'm not one of them).

Everything that follows was an attempt at arguing with emotions. I do not like X, therefor X can not be Y.
I even said as much in one of my replies.

It's the very definition of high definition. Old boy just doesn't like them, which is ok and a valid position to have. Not sure why he feels the need to crap on them and those who do like them though.

People are allowed to have feelings and opinions that are different from others. Radial not liking Ashenbubs HD textures does not make them not-HD textures.
Shiva.Thorny said:
It's still technically HD
And that is the end of the discussion.
By RadialArcana 2024-05-03 16:16:42
Link | Citer | R

They're not HD, and they look awful.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2024-05-03 16:45:27
Link | Citer | R

^ ^

See point proven, it's purely about him not liking something.

Anyhow, Amelila likely did the best work so far but stopped because of how ridiculous the time investment was. He didn't even get halfway through all the assets in the game before throwing in the towel.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/uzg385/what_happened_to_amelila_hd_overhaul/

Amelila8124 said:
I saw this post today and thought I would comment. Was reading an article about FFXI and of course google started feeding me more data on the topic, and saw this thread.

There's a very simple reason why I stopped modding FFXI, and that's time. Pure and simple.

As much as it pains me, I would have LOVED to keep going but it was consuming every last second of my time to put those mods together. Each one takes many...MANY painstaking hours to make (with the exception of the AI upscales, those were slightly more automated for the most part).

I have a two young kids and a full time job, so putting the mods together left me with literally no time to do anything else. No gaming, no hiking, no dates with the wife, no other projects, etc... I had to make the VERY difficult decision to stop. Thinking back on what I've made still puts a lump in my throat, as the project was very special to me.

My apologizes to everyone for dropping off the radar. I've been tossing around the idea of putting a mod together from time-to-time, or sharing full quality PSD versions of some of my textures for people to access. So keep an eye out, as I may try to throw something together in the future. I'll likely post on r/FFXI if that's the case. For now though, we've just bought a new home and we're concentrating on packing up all our stuff and settling into our new life together. My best to you all, and thank you so much for all your wonderful support.

Cheers!

~Amelila

This kind of work is really hard work, even using an programmatic upscaler it's still a lot of time and attention. Tuning and adjusting each texture individually is insane so most just adjust a smaller subset after conversion.

:Edit:

I looks like Radial makes mods as well and this is really about competition. Like how certain Ashita folks dump on Windower all the time.
By RadialArcana 2024-05-03 17:01:55
Link | Citer | R

Ok lets just agree to disagree, since we are both argumentative and this will go 10 pages otherwise.

[+]
By Viciouss 2024-05-03 17:18:12
Link | Citer | R

Glad to see other people realizing that RA is just a dumbass. What was the point of this thread? So SE cancelled a couple of unannounced projects? Who gives a ***? It has nothing to do with FFXI. It literally means nothing. Once again, trolling to troll.
By K123 2024-05-03 22:31:32
Link | Citer | R

I meant to write "some increase pixel count and add detail". The original textures are extremely low res so it would be hard to upscale some with logos like the one chosen. Most aren't that hard though, the small portion that need doing manually could be. If/when I find time I'll show examples using SUPIR in ComfyUI
By RadialArcana 2024-05-04 07:26:21
Link | Citer | R

Viciouss said: »
SE cancelled a couple of unannounced projects? Who gives a ***?

Lots of people actually, it's was being discussed everywhere on the internet. It's ok for you to be mad I made the thread, just know I don't care if you're mad or not. Seethe more.

Quote:
Glad to see other people realizing that RA is just a dumbass.
[+]
By Viciouss 2024-05-04 07:42:51
Link | Citer | R

lol, seethe more? I think you are confusing anger for amusement. Like I said, I'm glad to see other people realizing you are a dumbass that has no idea what you are talking about in regards to any subject, especially in regards to Square Enix. Remember, you are the one that got banned for months for trolling. You can't even post in RT because you are a troll. You're the problem.
By RadialArcana 2024-05-04 08:11:37
Link | Citer | R

By Afania 2024-05-04 08:22:57
Link | Citer | R

Because these are not perfect, they interpret some of the details wrong and end up removing them in the process.

To be fair the original texture did not have "more details" than the filter sharpened textures. However it is very pixelated so human brain sometimes interpret this pixelated part as "details". It is not real detail, it is human brain interpretation.

It is the same reason why indie devs often use pixel art style or pixelated 3D models in lower budge games, so their art looks like they have more details than it really has. That's the magic of pixelated styles.

You can say using bad filters to sharpen pixelated parts without tons of manual tweaking makes the texture looks bad, I would agree with that. But trying to define what "HD" is by art style but not video output resolution is another thing.....

This is what HD mod looks like,

That picture is called "(photo)realistic style", to my knowledge art style and video output resolution are 2 different things.

If you make a cartoon style game or video that runs in 1920x1080 or even 4k it is still HD by definition. If you use a realstic art style that runs in way less resolution, then it is not HD video.

To my knowledge people have always use the term HD to describe video output resolution, not art style.

Edit: I think a lot of confusion came from SE uses "HD game" to describe their AAA games with a realstic art style, thus the confusion...

Edit2: Wiki explaining what HD really means: it simply means higher resolution that has nothing to do with photorealistic style nor anything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_video

Ok lets just agree to disagree

There is nothing to agree or disagree about the meaning of HD (high definition) videos lol. The definition is literally written in Wiki.
 Shiva.Thorny
Serveur: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2024-05-04 09:50:01
Link | Citer | R

Thankfully the board has all the post material.
Wasn't arguing with you, as you quoted I said it is HD. I was just pointing out what Radial was trying to convey, because it seemed like people were struggling with it.

Afania said: »
You can say using bad filters to sharpen pixelated parts without tons of manual tweaking makes the texture looks bad, I would agree with that. But trying to define what "HD" is by art style but not video output resolution is another thing.....
I didn't try to redefine it, see above.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2024-05-04 10:49:10
Link | Citer | R

Wasn't arguing with you, as you quoted I said it is HD. I was just pointing out what Radial was trying to convey, because it seemed like people were struggling with it.

What he was trying to convey wasn't lost, we all understood it, we just do not agree.

They're not HD, and they look awful.

Seeing as he's called for a ceasefire, I suggest we respect that.
By Draylo 2024-05-04 18:12:18
Link | Citer | R

SE cancelled a couple of unannounced projects? Who gives a ***?

Lots of people actually, it's was being discussed everywhere on the internet. It's ok for you to be mad I made the thread, just know I don't care if you're mad or not. Seethe more.

Quote:
Glad to see other people realizing that RA is just a dumbass.

The exact same thing happens to me and I don't hold ill will towards anyone in debates, even after the fact. It's something really peculiar with this community, XI I mean. You will get some of the weirdest people who get annoyed at you over a debate or some perceived slight in game or forum and then they use it to create this entire persona of you that they love to hate. It's like some whole psychology behind it that they use to attack you with at every turn.

It happens to me thru the years repeatedly, just something that comes with being involved in anything public related like a forum I guess. You have the safety of a more hidden account though, something I probably should have thought about ages ago I guess lol. Some of them just go to such extremes too, I have had multiple people randomly dislike literally any video I posted on my youtube when I was active, before it even finished fully uploading, it would have a dislike. They do it to any pictures I post, hate PMs, I even had some years later send me PMs with hate, like literally years after a debate on something ended over the forum. Some people are just strange like that.
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
Serveur: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-05-04 19:06:13
Link | Citer | R

Reee Reee Reee Flame WAR!!!

DOOM UPON YOU ALL!!!

Or we can just post things that amuse us. Hope everyone's day is going well.

I would not put time/money into graphical reworks unless they are also going to change character animations. You can only polish an antique so much and this game is old as dirt as far as 3D MMO history goes. No sense in worry about how it looks when they are still going to use rigid binding for their verts. Community can do what it wants, clearly, with mods

The only thing I would want them to work on graphically is optimizing spell effects. I don't think we are going to encounter another dynamis scenario that combines GA spells with large instanced zones and lots of mobs, but it would be nice if people who didn't run DGVoodoo wouldn't DC at the whims of the game. I'd like there to be a chance at future content that isn't small visibility zones, darkness, purple hallways. I know that's delusional.
By Viciouss 2024-05-04 19:09:03
Link | Citer | R

I remember when people would downvote your videos upon upload Draylo, it was weird. And you were a victim, unlike Radial who really was banned for trolling for six months (and is now lying about it) and he is still banned from RT. Because he constantly shitposts Square Enix at every opportunity. Probably the only person that has actually managed to get a topicban from RT. Don't know why he was unbanned, tbh. It's not like he has stopped making ***up about Square Enix, a company he knows nothing about (but constantly pretends otherwise) and doesn't actually play any of their games (but still tries to take them down, unsuccessfully). But like I said, its fun to see other people clueing in to his idiocy.
By Zehira 2024-05-04 19:34:42
Link | Citer | R

Radial (Pixela) who used to post on the official forums a lot. Square Enix chose not to read his wall of text posts. That's probably why he is mad.
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2024-05-05 03:04:55
Link | Citer | R

The root of all evil, the bane of all internet discussions: focusing on technicalities and getting lost in semantics, instead of trying to understand (and then respond to) what your interlocutor is trying to convey.

(this is a general comment & not directed towards the Saevel vs Radial discussion per se, also don't get me wrong: getting definitions right/agreed upon is important so that at least there's common ground)
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-05-05 06:23:16
Link | Citer | R

Radial who really was banned for trolling for six months (and is now lying about it) and he is still banned from RT. Because he constantly shitposts Square Enix at every opportunity. Probably the only person that has actually managed to get a topicban from RT. Don't know why he was unbanned, tbh. It's not like he has stopped making ***up about Square Enix, a company he knows nothing about (but constantly pretends otherwise) and doesn't actually play any of their games (but still tries to take them down, unsuccessfully). But like I said, its fun to see other people clueing in to his idiocy.

"I need muh echo chamber where everyone is only allowed to say nice things about Square Enix, that I barely ever post in anyway"

You call everything trolling if you don't like it, which is childish. The world isn't clones of you, different people think and post in different ways and it's not cause they are trying to upset you. You're not that important.

I wasn't banned for trolling so stop making up your own stories, and I was unbanned cause I asked. I'm opinionated, argumentative and if someone comes at me I like to get into it back with them cause I enjoy that (which is why I always argued with you endlessly), that's not trolling though and I usually don't dislike the person I'm arguing with either. Trolling is saying things you don't believe just to rile the other person up, I believe what I'm saying and it's not just to rustle your jimmes.

If you don't agree with or like what I post, why don't you say why I'm wrong? The world isn't that complicated dude, other people do that just fine. Afania argues with me all the time and I don't think there is any ill will there xD
By K123 2024-05-05 06:43:19
Link | Citer | R

Definition of HD video is irrelevant in respect to image textures. Textures these days are typically 1024x1024 minimum with 2048x2048 being standard.

Back to the point, the means exist to easily increase the quality of most textures, with some likely needing some manual work. The game can also be run in DX12/Vulkan, but SE should do these things and I believe it would make the game more appealing to new players (though not massively).
By Tarage 2024-05-05 14:27:01
Link | Citer | R

Dude at some point even I shut up.
 Carbuncle.Samuraiking
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: bossgalka
By Carbuncle.Samuraiking 2024-05-05 20:28:51
Link | Citer | R

Your mothers are SD.
[+]
By Afania 2024-05-06 02:48:40
Link | Citer | R

I need muh echo chamber where everyone is only allowed to say nice things about Square Enix

It is not about saying nice things or not, it is about being reasonable when it comes to criticism.

If SE released a buggy, unfinished game that looks like a 2005 product that got 50/100 on metacritic, it is perfectly reasonable to criticize the game. I criticized a lot of 65/100 games made by SE, because of valid poor design in very basic things like UI being inconvenient and such.

But if the criticism is about directions and style, like "game of thrones style" "DMC battle system" or even "British accent" then it doesn't sound like valid criticism, but unreasonable hate.

Creators are people with opinions and visions, and sometimes their visions of a very old IP won't align with everyone in the world. If you don't like their visions, then don't pay for it, you lose nothing if you don't pay. There are no need to attack creators for doing what they want to do with their creative work.
By K123 2024-05-06 04:11:41
Link | Citer | R

Radial is British and so am I. I also hate all SE games coming out full of characters with "British" accents. It's a mockery.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2024-05-06 04:54:31
Link | Citer | R

I also hate all SE games
Same!
 Phoenix.Iocus
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-05-06 06:10:06
Link | Citer | R

Radial is British and so am I. I also hate all SE games coming out full of characters with "British" accents. It's a mockery.

Yeah you call them out for European-face! SUMMON THE SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIORS MEGAZORDS!
[+]
By RadialArcana 2024-05-06 06:22:07
Link | Citer | R

It is not about saying nice things or not, it is about being reasonable when it comes to criticism.

If you walk upto a super model and say "oi oi fatty" and she isn't fat then everyone will laugh and it's meaningless. It will only make people mad they are a big fatty.
 Phoenix.Iocus
By Phoenix.Iocus 2024-05-06 06:35:36
Link | Citer | R

If you walk upto a super model and say "oi oi fatty" and she isn't fat then everyone will laugh and it's meaningless. It will only make people mad they are a big fatty.

Actually that's you attempting to denigrate them for some kind of emotional gain at the expense of their loss. You're making that bear look so attractive.
By RadialArcana 2024-05-06 06:48:28
Link | Citer | R

The base issue with FF16 is that it was not FF, it went out of its way to not be FF and told everyone it was based on GoT (which is fine if you like GoT, but not everyone does and even those that do may not want FF to be that). They gave interviews stating they forced all the developers to watch GoT, they stated they were forced to add moogles and Chocobo cause Yoshida didn't want them as it ruined his vision or something, they stated they did all the US voice acting and created the JP voicework afterwards as an afterthought, they stated they thought the term JRPG was racist and wanted to be called an rpg. It was also imo too grown up for its own good, in that it's devoid of joy and love you saw in most every other FF game. If you're a huge fan of FF, you don't want them to fundamentally change what the franchise is like this, most of the interviews were made to rile you up actually.

This is the base foundation of complaints and what split the fanbase.

As for the voice acting in 16, I think it's awful. It's basically what a Japanese company creates when trying to pander to the richer parts of America, with what they want English people to sound like. It's like BBC artsy fartsy english voice acting that doesn't work in the setting they had imo, mixed with some utterly incompetent bottom of the barrel cringe voice acting too.

Elden Ring had great British voice acting cause it's more realistic, many other games seem to do it well too.

That aside, if the base game was good these smaller things would not matter. Stellar Blade has some awful flat VA in it, it's still a good game.

The greater problem with Square Enix as to what the post is about, is they have sullied their brand name and had too many flops and damaged their appeal to their core fanbase too. So they are now trying to cease smaller games and try to actually make bangers to rebuild that brand image, not even using sweatshop indian made graphics assets too.

https://www.pcgamer.com/square-enix-plans-to-oust-outsourcers-as-it-reviews-the-companys-development-process-from-scratch/

We will see if they can do that.

ff15 (mainly cause they had no female characters), forespoken (western pandering), quiet man (western pandering), bablyon fall, ff16 (not ff) were not good. ff7r was nearly good, but ruined by massive padding and story changes nobody really wanted.

It's not hard to win people back, all they have to do is make good games that pander to the FF fanbase again and stop fixating so much on money / shareholders.
By RadialArcana 2024-05-06 06:51:40
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Iocus said: »
You're making that bear look so attractive.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7