Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » HorizonXI » Horizon strikes again
Horizon strikes again
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
By Pantafernando 2024-04-06 09:08:14
Link | Citer | R

Draylo said: »
This thread is wild. It's like people are reading what they want and responding accordingly.

In a sense, you dont see reality.

You only perceive it.
[+]
 Asura.Sensarity
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Meeeeeep
By Asura.Sensarity 2024-04-06 09:35:48
Link | Citer | R

This thread is wild. It's like people are reading what they want and responding accordingly.
What a spot on self diagnosis.
[+]
By Seun 2024-04-06 09:43:56
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Seun said: »
The only way to prove if someone is afk is their character performing actions and failing to respond to a GM.

Why do you think chatmon is so loud? "HEY ***, A GM IS GONNA BAN YOU IF YOU DON'T COME BACK AND RESPOND TO THEIR MESSAGE!".

SE doesn't have GMs message you any more. People aren't using chatmon to get away with botting. They just ban such a small portion of the botters that most take no precautions and still end up ok(until they aren't).

It's really not worth their costs to hire people to babysit us. Bans were never going to be a deterrent anyway. Sub is cheap, box is cheap and almost the entire process of building up again can be automated.

They were probably confused reading all of our feedback over the years about how amazing this community is. They probably figured we'd want to retain that and self-police. Nah, we join em if we can't beat em.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2024-04-06 14:48:28
Link | Citer | R

I'm only here for Negan's takes tbh
[+]
 Asura.Thunderjet
By Asura.Thunderjet 2024-04-06 15:06:55
Link | Citer | R

because horizon is a joke
[+]
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2024-04-06 15:25:19
Link | Citer | R

Eh... I think it's been a lot of fun. 99% of the players don't care about the inner workings/internal issues/external drama sitting, most are just enjoying their time.
[+]
By drakefs 2024-04-06 15:40:00
Link | Citer | R

Pantafernando said: »

In a sense, you dont see reality.

You only perceive it.

Its very likely you imagine most of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INpWNP5HPNQ
 Asura.Iamaman
user: iamaman
By Asura.Iamaman 2024-04-06 18:00:51
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Thunderjet said: »
YouTube Video Placeholder

i dont know what half of it means

Put one of them in here and they won't know what half the ***in 11 means either. I don't remember much of what he talks about, I had forgotten about the weight system but it sounds like that won't be in there anyway. Sounds like they removed the corpse system, which is great also. I died once in a deep dungeon with 0 chance of retrieval and you had a stat deficiency for a long time (72hrs iirc), it was dumb. People would form parties to retrieve the corpses but sometimes it just wouldn't happen.

There's always a learning period, but I don't recall the mechanics being as deep as 11. There is also no gear swapping and most of the time you earn some gear, then wear that for the level you are at until you level up again, then it's all worthless and you go to the next tier. When the game released, they had these legendary weapons you could get at lvl50 for each class by doing some PITA quest, but they were immediately worthless the moment you hit lvl60. IIRC there is more large group content in the form of raids and such but idk how that will adapt to the lower player count now than when I played at release. The community was a lot more casual than 11, there were no points systems or mandatory attendance or anything like that, guilds (the equiv of linkshells) were much better laid out and had features like banks and guild halls, they had a website at one point for guilds as well. I remember telling my guild about points systems in dyna and the general consensus being that was ridiculous, so you won't get that kindof attitude (at least I didn't) there and the game supports the guild feature much better than 11 did. That said some people took the roleplaying thing a bit far and I got yelled at several times for being a paladin grouping with the equiv of a DRK since we were opposing alignments.

It had some good, some bad, but it overall didn't have the staying power 11 did with me. The job system is more bland and JAs aren't as impactful feeling, no WS/SCs, and so on. OTOH though they seem to be getting active development and even the non-classic server is still getting expansions despite only being a few years newer that 11, so at least they haven't pulled a SE with the dev team. It's a weird transition from 11 and you won't recognize 99% of the mechanics but i don't recall any of it being too difficult to figure out. TBH hearing about this makes me want to revisit it in May when the beta opens.

At one point SoEs answer to RMT (they used a different acronym but same idea) was to banish players caught to one of two servers. They set up a SoE auction house people could buy items in the game, but only on those two servers. Think the RMAH in D3 at release but only for two of the EQ2 servers. It was a huge flop and no one willingly transferred to either of them, but RMT remained a problem in the game the same way it has here, at least for the few years I played it.
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2024-04-06 19:50:29
Link | Citer | R

I miss SOE tbh.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Odin.Senaki
Serveur: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2024-04-07 14:40:57
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Gavroches said: »
For horizon, it’s just people that want to save $15, because, well, FFXI is an amazing world to explore.

It's more than $15 a month now given all the mog wardrobes tbh.

Albeit, I do agree given this is what I am seeing too. Friends that want to play XI, but cannot afford it are going to Horizon. Others can't justify paying SE given the lack of new content (when compared to other sub-based games like WoW).

Nah, this never happens.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2024-04-07 21:51:53
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Senaki said: »
Phoenix.Gavroches said: »
For horizon, it’s just people that want to save $15, because, well, FFXI is an amazing world to explore.

It's more than $15 a month now given all the mog wardrobes tbh.

Albeit, I do agree given this is what I am seeing too. Friends that want to play XI, but cannot afford it are going to Horizon. Others can't justify paying SE given the lack of new content (when compared to other sub-based games like WoW).

Ah the ol' "I have no data to support me saying Horizon is for people who can't afford retail" excuse. If anything, just the advent of Classic WoW becoming official servers and bringing in new subs disapproves this.

And .. once again. I don't know why people get so worked about who plays what. I get that some of you have 15 REMAs but does that make you feel you have the authority to say things, or do you feel obligated to crap on them to justify the invests in retail? Like damn, I see more retail players complaining and going for the throat then a random PS player. Just play the version you want to play and get on with your day.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-04-07 21:58:32
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Glaciont said: »
I play on Horizon because Trudeau killed the Canadian economy.

Just say that my guy. Its believable.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2024-04-07 22:03:32
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
I play on Horizon because Trudeau killed the Canadian economy.

Just say that my guy. Its believable.

I think you're lost and in the wrong area my guy.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-04-07 22:14:11
Link | Citer | R

Theres no shame in playing on Poorizon.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2024-04-07 22:55:41
Link | Citer | R

Theres no shame in playing on Poorizon.

Sounds like you just hate poor people tbh. I guess you didn’t get a rebate cheque….
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-04-07 23:45:03
Link | Citer | R

I didnt, but neither did you, because they get sent out April 22nd.
By GetHelpNerd 2024-04-08 07:42:10
Link | Citer | R

there's no proof whatsoever that people are only playing horizon because it's free.

it's just extreme copium from the retail crew. once you accept that 99% of the ***the retail crew posts is extreme copium you can ignore a lot of the posters on this forum
[+]
 Ragnarok.Creaucent
user: Creaucent
By Ragnarok.Creaucent 2024-04-08 08:16:28
Link | Citer | R

GetHelpNerd said: »
there's no proof whatsoever that people are only playing horizon because it's free.

it's just extreme copium from the retail crew. once you accept that 99% of the ***the retail crew posts is extreme copium you can ignore a lot of the posters on this forum

Ok so if Horizon started charging the same price as retail there isnt going to be a massive drop in players?
[+]
 Carbuncle.Samuraiking
user: bossgalka
By Carbuncle.Samuraiking 2024-04-08 09:32:26
Link | Citer | R

Who the *** is still living in 2006? I played retail from 2003-2010 and had a blast, it was some of the most fun times ever, but it was 2003-2010 and we didn't know any better. The game was absolute DOG ***in the 75 era. Fun as it was to us, fun as it felt to earn ***, it was horribly designed, full of imbalanced jobs that were borderline UNPLAYABLE and a level of struggle that can only be described as the purest form of masochism on behalf of its players.

I tried going back to 75-era around 2020, though not on Horizon, specifically, for about a month before I got bored out of my *** mind. It wasn't even the *** "real like" Horizon ***, they added HP crystals and survival guides while keeping the rest like then-retail to alleviate some of the issues with the 75-era and it still sucked.

One of the main things that made the game fun is the fact that we ALL, every single one of us, just sucked complete *** and struggled through the game together in "hard" fights. People going back now with their knowledge and understanding of not just FFXI, but games in general, are *** crushing all of that content. So now the struggle is all in spending 10 hours traveling to a zone to get into an EXP party that will disband 10mins after you arrive, which ALWAYS *** sucked, even back then.

If you like it, then enjoy suffering or whatever, but in what world is anyone playing retail coping over not playing the shitty free alpha version 0.1.24 that the owner keeps *** with and making horrible changes to on top of not coding the *** thing properly to begin with? Just proclaiming the other side is coping doesn't actually cover up and deflect your own cope. I assume your avatar is ironic.

Also, much like the country itself, all Canadians suck. That is all.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2024-04-08 09:40:28
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Creaucent said: »

Ok so if Horizon started charging the same price as retail there isnt going to be a massive drop in players?
Well there would, it would be zero, because SE has to protect their IP if they start charging a subscription fee.
By GetHelpNerd 2024-04-08 09:44:46
Link | Citer | R

nynja is right, SE would likely be forced to action in this scenario, which also adds to making it hard to prove one way or another.

above poster is correct in saying that wow classic is over half of wow's current subs according to recently released numbers.

OSRS is another example where the classic population dwarfs the current version of the game.

both of these are paid models, i don't think FFXI would be that different. it's not possible to prove one way or another until the scenario plays itself out but there's no evidence to say that people are playing horizon because its free and not because they enjoy that era of the game
 Ragnarok.Creaucent
user: Creaucent
By Ragnarok.Creaucent 2024-04-08 09:47:14
Link | Citer | R

Well there would, it would be zero, because SE has to protect their IP if they start charging a subscription fee.

My bad I assumed people would see this in a vacuum with no repercussions from SE.

Obviously if they started charging SE would jump in all guns blazing.
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2024-04-08 10:13:14
Link | Citer | R

nynja is right, SE would likely be forced to action in this scenario, which also adds to making it hard to prove one way or another.

above poster is correct in saying that wow classic is over half of wow's current subs according to recently released numbers.

OSRS is another example where the classic population dwarfs the current version of the game.

both of these are paid models, i don't think FFXI would be that different. it's not possible to prove one way or another until the scenario plays itself out but there's no evidence to say that people are playing horizon because its free and not because they enjoy that era of the game

Yup. This is what I was trying to say. When the classic community got official, the so called people who play PSs because they’re poor/don’t want to pay, subbed back to play Classic. It proves that if given the opportunity officially that they would sub again because they’re version of the game they enjoy is official. Which, is what alot of people would like. Personally I would love to do 75 era with some changes which is why I like Horizon. But I also play retail
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Tesahade
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2024-04-08 10:29:00
Link | Citer | R

Which, is what alot of people would like. Personally I would love to do 75 era with some changes which is why I like Horizon.
Except, there are many version of what people call "75 era" and which one should SE do?
Correct people: "WoTG, it was the last true 75 era"
ToAU stans: "no WoTG sucked all that time waiting for that crap expansion, ToAU is where it was at it's peak"
CoP stans: "no no no anything after CoP was when the game fell off"

(I would like to tribute this fanfic to GHN, I know he loves to read them)

you poll a dozen people and you will get a dozen answers.
So many changes SE made where going to "kill the game" and it was declared dead by people at every god damn turn, why would those people settle for the ***they said was the end of the game?
[+]
 Asura.Thunderjet
By Asura.Thunderjet 2024-04-08 10:47:36
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Clintbeastwood said: »
By that argument, Trusts are antithetical and hurt the game too then, right? Is SE self-sabotaging?

Trust magic scales up the more real players you have in the group, but they're much weaker than even moderately geared real players when you're solo. This makes more of a case for filling in gaps with trusts if your friends/static couldn't make it or you couldn't find someone else to fill in.

I'd argue the exodus started even earlier in WotG. It had almost no endgame, the zones were all reskins and the story bled out over the course of several years. XIV had been teased by that point and the writing was on the wall for XI. Honestly, the failure of XIV probably had more to do with the second wind FFXI got in Abyssea.
bro trusts cant even tank 1 savage blade from RDM these guys are wearing ILVL +2/3 Gear and dont swap

but they have every new addon to exist in 75 ERA LoL.
Remamber when you had to get KEYS TO GET MAPS
By RadialArcana 2024-04-08 10:52:54
Link | Citer | R

That we have to put up with constant private server posts in a private server sub forum on a forum built around retail FFXI is disgusting, the entire website only still exists because it offers auction house functionality.

This is worse than P&R.
[+]
By Seun 2024-04-08 11:23:47
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Thunderjet said: »
Asura.Clintbeastwood said: »
By that argument, Trusts are antithetical and hurt the game too then, right? Is SE self-sabotaging?

Trust magic scales up the more real players you have in the group, but they're much weaker than even moderately geared real players when you're solo. This makes more of a case for filling in gaps with trusts if your friends/static couldn't make it or you couldn't find someone else to fill in.

I'd argue the exodus started even earlier in WotG. It had almost no endgame, the zones were all reskins and the story bled out over the course of several years. XIV had been teased by that point and the writing was on the wall for XI. Honestly, the failure of XIV probably had more to do with the second wind FFXI got in Abyssea.
bro trusts cant even tank 1 savage blade from RDM these guys are wearing ILVL +2/3 Gear and dont swap

I have no idea what you're saying here.

My point was that trust magic doesn't steer people away from groups and into solo play. It exists mostly for the times where you can't find someone else for mostly trivial content like leveling and farming.
By GetHelpNerd 2024-04-08 12:08:22
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Niflheim said: »
Which, is what alot of people would like. Personally I would love to do 75 era with some changes which is why I like Horizon.
Except, there are many version of what people call "75 era" and which one should SE do?
ToAU stans: "no WoTG sucked all that time waiting for that crap expansion, ToAU is where it was at it's peak"

So many changes SE made where going to "kill the game" and it was declared dead by people at every god damn turn, why would those people settle for the ***they said was the end of the game?
really don't think this is that complicated to solve and you must not have looked at any of the others(wow, osrs, EQ) before spouting that this is the main issue
 Lakshmi.Glaciont
By Lakshmi.Glaciont 2024-04-08 12:12:19
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Niflheim said: »

Well, I’m just saying what I wouldn’t mind. But otherwise it’s the age old question that every MMO has, specifically the ones that provide a classic era experience have to figure out.

“Wrath was best” “TBC was peak” “Nothing past 1.2.1”

“RS 2005 was best” “Anything before EOC” “2009scape”(yes I know how current Osrs came into existence)
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9