Serveur: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-11-12 00:59:04
Link | Citer | R

Homsar said: »
Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
Yall mother *** must be bored as *** to be talking about this ***man

Gotta do something to pass the time while waiting for Sortie and Odyssey timers count down.

Could do Delve, Ambu, Dynamis [D], farm a REMA, HTBF, Master Trials, Skirmish, Sinister Reign. UNM, Vagary, make a crafting shield, farm CP/EP. Not much to do though.
By Homsar 2023-11-12 01:10:37
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
Yall mother *** must be bored as *** to be talking about this ***man

Gotta do something to pass the time while waiting for Sortie and Odyssey timers count down.

Could do Delve, Ambu, Dynamis [D], farm a REMA, HTBF, Master Trials, Skirmish, Sinister Reign. UNM, Vagary, make a crafting shield, farm CP/EP. Not much to do though.

You forgot Salvage, Assault, Einherjar, Limbus, Garrison, and Campaign.
By Draylo 2023-11-12 01:53:40
Link | Citer | R

Lol you can't be serious, you are literally exping for content. Only thing you have to look forward to after is buggy content that's old as hell

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Homsar 2023-11-12 02:08:54
Link | Citer | R

Draylo said: »
Lol you can't be serious, you are literally exping for content. Only thing you have to look forward to after is buggy content that's old as hell

Are we pretending that grinding Segments/RP/Muffins isn't just EXPing under a different name with a much slower reward progression? Also, what content does one get to look forward to after 6 months of running the exact same 2 Sortie paths?
 Fenrir.Richybear
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2023-11-12 02:14:05
Link | Citer | R

you forgot eco warrior
By Homsar 2023-11-12 02:21:07
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Richybear said: »
you forgot eco warrior

Did people ever actually do Eco-Warrior regularly back in the 75-era? I hardly ever remember people doing it back on Seraph.
By Draylo 2023-11-12 02:33:49
Link | Citer | R

I did for Gil back in the day, and those RSE quests and avatar fights.

Are we pretending that grinding Segments/RP/Muffins isn't just EXPing under a different name with a much slower reward progression? Also, what content does one get to look forward to after 6 months of running the exact same 2 Sortie paths?

No, it really isn't at all. It's literally content like we have been doing for years. Literally for almost two decades now the game has had events that you spam endlessly. You are so hypocritical with your posts, 75 era we did sky, sea, hnm ad nauseum. Endlessly, I remember getting bored as hell during that time. Each era had its events we had to spam. They just added something new, you don't know the future. Why do you keep trying to ***on retail? No respect for the real deal.
By Homsar 2023-11-12 03:06:50
Link | Citer | R

No, it really isn't at all.

Repeatedly killing the same enemies in the same way with the same party setup over and over again to get a little bit stronger sure sounds like EXPing to me. The only difference is that grinding out segs/muffins has less variety and significantly longer between rewards.

I remember getting bored as hell during that time

Do you get bored as hell now when your daily 1.5-2 hours of allotted relevant content runs out?

They just added something new

While I'm happy that you guys got a new battlefield, getting one battlefield with one useful sidegrade item in the 6 months since TVR ended doesn't exactly speak to a bright future. Who knows though, maybe they'll release a robust update to the battlefield to give it some legs.

Why do you keep trying to ***on retail?

Why do you keep trying to ***on private servers?

It's not really shitting on retail to point out the fact that Odyssey and Sortie are the only relevant content for most of the playerbase.
By Draylo 2023-11-12 03:23:14
Link | Citer | R

The exact same thing happens on a private server, you are missing the point completely. Once someone has their job cap level, they do sky and dynamis over and over or start a new job to exp at the same camps. Same job composition, you can use your example for anything if you forced it hard enough. This has been like that for every era of this games life, they use a very similar formula. At least we get anything new and there's always people returning who still need other relevant content. Private servers only have bugged content that we've all done to death to look forward to.

The thread topic is about the private server, so I'm giving my opinion on it. You are just so jaded towards retail, I get it when you get bored and burnt out but you are being too generous for what private servers have to offer in comparison in terms of content.
[+]
 Asura.Rekcuf
Serveur: Asura
user: ashcrow
By Asura.Rekcuf 2023-11-12 04:03:19
Link | Citer | R

or just play both, i know i started this but i am trolling lol
By Homsar 2023-11-12 04:11:06
Link | Citer | R

Once someone has their job cap level, they do sky and dynamis over and over or start a new job to exp at the same camps.

This is kind of true but Sky, Sea, Dynamis, Limbus, HNMs, and whatever other misc endgame content has a much wider variety than running the same 2 Sortie routes and the same Sheol C Segment farm. The variety gap will be even bigger if Horizon ever releases ToAU. Intermingling leveling and gearing new jobs with endgame content, missions, quests, crafts, etc provides a more fresh and variant experience for the people who play private servers.

Same job composition, you can use your example for anything if you forced it hard enough.

True, but grinding Odyssey and Sortie is extremely analogous towards EXP grinding. What do you consider to be the actual differences between the two?

Private servers only have bugged content that we've all done to death to look forward to.

You keep saying this, but it's a not really a good point. The bulk of the people playing on private servers either haven't done the content to death as you claim. Most of them are picking up the game again after years of hiatus. You have almost assuredly done more Sortie or Odyssey in the past 6 months than anyone on Horizon has ever done 75-era Dynamis or Limbus.

At least we get anything new and there's always people returning who still need other relevant content.

You may get the trickle of whatever new content SE puts out, but you can't exactly pretend that it's high-quality. Odyssey and Sortie have both been pretty unpopular because of their hackneyed implementation. Rather than focusing on making the content engaging or balanced or inclusive, the focus has been primarily on timegating people into long grinds to keep those sub fees rolling in. While the occasional returning player may need older content, they're far and few between and usually resort to mercing through whatever because most of the community has moved on from old content.

you are being too generous for what private servers have to offer in comparison in terms of content.

Hardly. You're just being your curmudgeonly self and decrying content you did a long time ago as "done to death" as though you can't much more readily apply that label to the current meta of retail. Just because you obstinately refuse to acknowledge the severe monotony of the retail meta doesn't mean it isn't there.
 Asura.Sensarity
user: Meeeeeep
By Asura.Sensarity 2023-11-12 04:43:36
Link | Citer | R

I can promise you I've done more runs of Segs since it came out than I have of Sky/Sea in my entire FFXI career.
You can't tell me one piece of content is stale and another isn't when one is a mandatory "do it daily or fall behind" and the other was generally a "twice a week" thing.

Just admit it, old bad, new good. That's your entire mentality.
 Shiva.Thorny
Serveur: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2023-11-12 05:55:26
Link | Citer | R

You can't just reduce it to content. Sky/Sea/Etc.. are trivial compared to current content. Unless you need Kirin or JOL, you can do everything with 4 or less and cap out in a handful of sessions. Even those can be comfortably done with 8-9 (and I'm talking 2008 days, with private server changes and current knowledge/addons it might be less). There are very few mechanics to consider, job arrangements are loose, and the mobs are barely more complicated than generic trash mobs with high stats.

But, Horizon blocks multiboxing and makes more of an effort to deal with cheat tools. Most content is not strictly limited to the amount of players needed to clear it(dyna needs ~10 but allows 64.. limbus needs ~2 but allows 18, almost no open world content needs more than 9, and so on). This means you're more free to continue meeting and adding new people to your group, and making progress together. You know, how a MMO is supposed to be played.

If you're one of the few with a steady 6 man static, or a great network of friends to rapidly make pickup groups, you can still do this to an extent on retail. Most can't. Those 6 man statics still can't easily add new people or change group unless someone quits. This is a consideration that should be far more prominent than whether sky or sortie is more boring.
[+]
By Draylo 2023-11-12 06:29:07
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Sensarity said: »
I can promise you I've done more runs of Segs since it came out than I have of Sky/Sea in my entire FFXI career.
You can't tell me one piece of content is stale and another isn't when one is a mandatory "do it daily or fall behind" and the other was generally a "twice a week" thing.

Just admit it, old bad, new good. That's your entire mentality.

Then you are def not a veteran, we did sky/sea for almost a decade compared to the short time Odyssea has been out. You don't even need that many segments overall, you act like its some horrible slog its barely 30m and you can get enough segments for multiple boss runs in addition to Gil for other ventures like REMA. Compared to something like camping dinky sky NMs or killing PHs endlessly with barely a reward, I remember and will never forget almost 8 hours no-lifing diorite. That sounds like so much fun to do again.

I honestly don't get you people saying things are "MANDATORY", no they aren't. Nobody is forcing you to do the content every day, nobody. That would be like saying because sky has no limits on entry and farming, any minute you are not in sky is wasting precious abjurations or pop items, no sleeping. You aren't forced in either case. As we all agree, the content isn't going anywhere... you are going to be spamming it a lot. So why rush through it? If you miss a few KI a couple times a week, you aren't going to be behind when content does not come out fast. If anything it is mandatory in private servers like that, if its some big linkshell surely they have waiting lists and if you miss days you will lose points!

Lets see, doing OLD content that you are super limited on how you can play your job vs actually being able to do diverse roles on various jobs and always improving via gear/ML/etc. Really hard to choose why one is more fun than the other... not. We have all these cool abilities and spells at our disposal and people want to be level 75 doing double digit damage and taking minutes to swing.
[+]
By Draylo 2023-11-12 06:38:43
Link | Citer | R

Once someone has their job cap level, they do sky and dynamis over and over or start a new job to exp at the same camps.

This is kind of true but Sky, Sea, Dynamis, Limbus, HNMs, and whatever other misc endgame content has a much wider variety than running the same 2 Sortie routes and the same Sheol C Segment farm. The variety gap will be even bigger if Horizon ever releases ToAU. Intermingling leveling and gearing new jobs with endgame content, missions, quests, crafts, etc provides a more fresh and variant experience for the people who play private servers.

Purely opinion, you are also conveniently ignoring the fact we do have more content than Odyssey/Sortie including all the content you just listed in various forms. Fresh? The majority of the people on that server are ex players, stop pretending you are getting massive amounts of casual novices to XI. These are people completely blinded by nostalgia pretending to be in their perfect utopia lol. They most certainly are repeating the same old tired content.

Quote:
Same job composition, you can use your example for anything if you forced it hard enough.

True, but grinding Odyssey and Sortie is extremely analogous towards EXP grinding. What do you consider to be the actual differences between the two?

There is more than sortie and odyssey, once again. It is nowhere close to EXP grinding, what in the world are you on about? Odyssey has actual boss fights, variance in each fight and you can use different setups for most. Sortie also has boss fights and both have objectives and other benefits like gear upgrading or Gil. Just because you go inside, kill x mob and repeat doesn't mean its like EXP. There is also a level of difficulty in comparison to the complete trash you are killing the majority of the time on p servers.

Quote:
Private servers only have bugged content that we've all done to death to look forward to.

You keep saying this, but it's a not really a good point. The bulk of the people playing on private servers either haven't done the content to death as you claim. Most of them are picking up the game again after years of hiatus. You have almost assuredly done more Sortie or Odyssey in the past 6 months than anyone on Horizon has ever done 75-era Dynamis or Limbus.

The bulk of the people? lol, where are you getting that source from? Considering FFXI is an obscure game to begin with, you really think people who never played XI are the majority populating those servers? Get real. If that even is the case, most of them can simply go to retail and have the exact same experience because it will all be fresh to them and theres plenty to do besides sortle/odyssea, especially if they are years on hiatus! This is also completely ignoring the fact that the vast majority of the players barely make it past EXP as content, they probably won't be doing most end game there for a long time.

Quote:
At least we get anything new and there's always people returning who still need other relevant content.

You may get the trickle of whatever new content SE puts out, but you can't exactly pretend that it's high-quality. Odyssey and Sortie have both been pretty unpopular because of their hackneyed implementation. Rather than focusing on making the content engaging or balanced or inclusive, the focus has been primarily on timegating people into long grinds to keep those sub fees rolling in. While the occasional returning player may need older content, they're far and few between and usually resort to mercing through whatever because most of the community has moved on from old content.

I would rather do all of that then go to a buggy 75 era server to do lame things like sky again or 4 hour slog of Dynamis... Unreal, not to mention dinky EXP parties where people leave after 10m fighting and you have to sit around looking for a mage (ive seen many streams where this happens.) It completely disrespects the players time, I can't fathom why anyone would prefer that. Not to mention what I said earlier about how we have so many cool abilities, spells etc, to go back to the stone ages... lol.

Quote:
you are being too generous for what private servers have to offer in comparison in terms of content.

Hardly. You're just being your curmudgeonly self and decrying content you did a long time ago as "done to death" as though you can't much more readily apply that label to the current meta of retail. Just because you obstinately refuse to acknowledge the severe monotony of the retail meta doesn't mean it isn't there.

I already told you that it works like that on both servers, people will get bored but there are nuanced differences that make retail more fun in my opinion.
 Bahamut.Shozokui
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Shozokui
By Bahamut.Shozokui 2023-11-12 07:48:37
Link | Citer | R

Man, that's one toxic *** statement designed to ***all over the people who've poured thousands of hours into the preservation of this MMO you claim to like so well.

No software will ever be perfect, retail still has bugs in every single patch, disabling content fairly regularly considering.

The fact you claim all the content is bugged blah blah blah, shows you really have no idea what you're talking about, and have an axe to grind for ?? reason. Where on the doll did the private servers touch you?

Your post history is all HXI. See you all over YT videos commenting about HXI. You might be their biggest supporter engagement-wise.
[+]
By Draylo 2023-11-12 07:58:05
Link | Citer | R

Weak argument and really dumb honestly. SE is preserving the game just fine for me, if it goes down then I'll be done and don't need a private server. Nobody is advocating to shut them down we are discussing how it's terrible lol. The toxic *** statements are from people who don't respect two decades this beautiful game has behind it, and rather support a fake knock off and ontop off that they are shitting on retail on their way out. Which is what every single one of those people do across various platforms trying to dissuade others from trying the real game.

You acting like I owe them some kind of respect is laughable, couldn't care less what jumbled mess they Frankensteined together with stolen assets.

My post history on this is from the last day or so. I don't think debating on a demained thread and this one is giving them much support really.
[+]
 Bahamut.Shozokui
user: Shozokui
By Bahamut.Shozokui 2023-11-12 08:03:48
Link | Citer | R

Ah yeah, the "retail is great" argument. Live and let live brother. People like to have fun, that's defined in many ways by many people. If "fun" is retail, go for it. For a really large amount of people - it's not.

You certainly don't owe anyone disrespect. Life must be pretty empty for you to be posting 100 comments on a thread about a server you don't play, and don't care about.

So we've established you:

• Don't actually know anything about the state of emulation

• Don't actually have a reason to act like a trashbag to everyone constantly.

By Draylo 2023-11-12 08:10:57
Link | Citer | R

Nobody is making a call to action

Nobody is trying to stop these people in this thread from playing on that server

We are having an internet discussion, calm down. This is like their last resort to try and attack someone in a vieled way. Now he brings youtube comments, lol. For a really large amount of people, yeah sure. Now he also gets into the no life attacks, can we add any other disdain to your post? Like homstar I had been working from home too and I type fast. The thread is on a forum I frequent so not really a surprise. Who's the actual trashbag? I think I see mostly you leaving personal attacks atm.
 Ragnarok.Creaucent
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Creaucent
By Ragnarok.Creaucent 2023-11-12 08:13:00
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Shozokui said: »

Man, that's one toxic *** statement designed to ***all over the people who've poured thousands of hours into the preservation of this MMO you claim to like so well.

No software will ever be perfect, retail still has bugs in every single patch, disabling content fairly regularly considering.

The fact you claim all the content is bugged blah blah blah, shows you really have no idea what you're talking about, and have an axe to grind for ?? reason. Where on the doll did the private servers touch you?

Your post history is all HXI. See you all over YT videos commenting about HXI. You might be their biggest supporter engagement-wise.

I mean level sync of all things is bugged on Horizon no idea if they will ever manage to figure that one out.
 Shiva.Thorny
Serveur: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2023-11-12 08:22:47
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Creaucent said: »
no idea if they will ever manage to figure that one out.

It's not rocket science, they have limited resources and their direction is scattered. I'm sure eventually they'll figure it out, and I'm far from a Horizon Stan. Complaining that it's less than perfect is silly with the state of things being rolled out by SE lately, and keep in mind you can't give SE credit for ashita or windower either.

I am not convinced Horizon itself is 'here to stay' or the end-all private server. But, they are currently holding the torch, and if they die off they'll still have left LSB in a better state than they got it for the next torch-carriers. Progress in a project like this takes time, and many components of it are limited by painfully slow data collection on retail, since FFXI has never had a source leak like many other games with heavy private server development.

Another consideration is that because the tools used by the current generation of private server software are more modern than the ones SE has access to, a point will be reached where these tools and servers are more capable of creating new content than SE's team, even if they do not continue to downsize.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2023-11-12 09:02:29
Link | Citer | R

drakefs said: »
Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »
just don't fool yourself into thinking its "creating" anything.

We obviously have a different definition of creation.

I mean, it's literally more "creation" than a bunch of people being a hack cover band and you don't see people bitching about those fellas.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-11-12 10:20:21
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »
they're not aiming to make "software perform like other software" and building from the ground up. They are using the creative resources client-side that SE created and using that as the basis for all maps, mobs, gear, and other aspects. There is zero creation happening there, just copying the works of others. Even if they wrote it from the ground up completely to mimic FFXI, there still would be zero creation- plenty of work, that I do not doubt, and i respect the work...just don't fool yourself into thinking its "creating" anything.

If the argument is they are "creating" the server-side information that is unavailable to us directly as simple players, I'm still not convinced, but I am not as versed in this industry as others. But to me, once you steal the client side info to make your own playground, you have given up any right to claim "I made this"....you photocopied it.

At best, this feels like an artist sampling the tracks of another artist in their "original work". And the artist doing the sampling still pays the original musician.

Short answer, no. At least in the USA.

The LSB isn't even written in the same language as SE's FFXI servers, the code itself in no way resembles SE's property. This makes it an original work. And that is where the argument ends, point blank. As far as the law is concerned any how.

Feelings, thoughts, beliefs, creative wordplay, all that gets checked at the court room door. The entire IT world is filled with "things that resemble other things". Vi vs nano vs pico vs emacs, they are all "similar" but different original works.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2023-11-12 10:31:13
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Clintbeastwood said: »
Asura.Saevel said: »
Emulation is anytime you present one thing as something it is not.

That's pretty broad. Sounds more like spoofing than emulation to me but /shrug.

Yes the category "emulation" is extremely broad and people with varying levels of understanding will have different thoughts. The folks at the LSB had to find someway to talk with a client using a non-documented protocol, SE didn't hand then a connection handling library or any documentation on how it works. Instead they had to poke and prod, trial and error, until they could build a connection library that convinced the retail FFXI client it was a retail FFXI server. That not-retail FFXI server can now tell the retail FFIX client all about characters, NPCs, monsters, inventory, attacks, special effects, damage, etc, and the retail FFXI client will believe its true. All this is done without modifying the client binaries to support the not retail FFXI server.

The LSB project would of been infinitely easier if they could of just compiled their own version of the client to support the entire concept of not-retail FFXI infrastructure. But they couldn't, thus emulation becomes necessary.
[+]
 Bahamut.Vethric
user: fusional
By Bahamut.Vethric 2023-11-12 10:33:10
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Saevel said: »

This makes it an original work. And that is where the argument ends, point blank. As far as the law is concerned any how.

who created the assets, the world, the characters, the story, the mechanics they're using? jw lol

this is like watching blue checkmarks on twooter try to argue that using AI to sample a bunch of ***they never got permission to sample is fine because it's "creating something new and unique"

well i've got some bad news for you brother
By Setsuko 2023-11-12 10:48:50
Link | Citer | R

Dubaiii said: »
Guys just ignore that dude, He is upset cause he will be banned in HorizonXI, he cant bring he's Alt Squad.

Getting banned from horizon isn't even that hard. Just make fun of Aerec privately in your ls chat when the same bug pops up every other patch or turn down one of the staff member's sexual advances, and they will have it out for you. And if you come forward about it, you'll be harassed in DMs and real life, have people threaten you, and have people tell you to kill yourself--all over a private server game that can be shut down at any time.

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3 4 ... 22 23 24