Dead Server?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Servers » Carbuncle » Dead Server?
Dead Server?
 Cerberus.Dekar
Serveur: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Dekar1
By Cerberus.Dekar 2022-11-11 22:52:08
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Philemon said: »
Dead servers are fun, but you still need people to play with.

Agreed. I love it on Cerberus but if I didn't know my friends/LS it'd be crazy difficult to do anything major endgame. I love being able to instantly enter most content.
[+]
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Asura
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2022-11-11 23:32:20
Link | Citer | R

Been doing my LP character on Odin. Soooo many JP. Been thinking about moving over to Bahamut with my brother.

Don't know nothin' bout Carbuncle.

My characters had been on Bismarck, and it did not seem lively when I reactivated in 2019. Haven't been on Asura in about 10 years
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-11-12 00:26:53
Link | Citer | R

Valefor is awesome yes it is worth it
[+]
By Draylo 2022-11-12 01:00:45
Link | Citer | R

Have you tried the Asura server? Our lord and savior
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-11-12 01:09:01
Link | Citer | R

spicy is on asura and he smells no thank you
[+]
By Afania 2022-11-12 11:24:39
Link | Citer | R

Draylo said: »

I was casually viewing AH shout channel a while ago and saw Asuran shouting for +8 cor with r25 Nyame and r15 gun for ambu VD. Too leet.

Thanks but no thanks!
By Slowforever 2022-11-12 19:13:11
Link | Citer | R

I went to Asura, its nice filling a group in 1 minute for pretty much any content. I do wish cp camps were not so populated though. Everything else is fine.
[+]
By drakefs 2022-11-12 22:14:01
Link | Citer | R

Dead? No.

Slow? Absolutely.

On Carby you have to put in some effort to find groups.

Still, I will take doing/farming whatever I want, when I want, over having to wait for camps to open up or standing in line.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Samuraiking
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: bossgalka
By Carbuncle.Samuraiking 2022-11-17 15:53:01
Link | Citer | R

There are three types of servers. The biggest one, Asura, where everything is always for sale, decent prices, there are tons of groups doing things and even merc groups for you to buy from, but if you want to do anything on your own, you will have massive competition for any NMs worth doing (REMA stuff, basically).

Hybrid servers with mid populations still have a little competition and decent availability for items on the AH, but I think this is just kind of the worst of both worlds.

Low pop servers have virtually no competition for NMs at all, so if you want to farm something, it's always safe and available for you to get with no issues. The only problem is if you want to do group content, you need to find one of the few active linkshells running, and like the people in them. There's not a lot of options, but we are tightnit groups and you can usually get into one of them since we don't have any merc groups. The availability of crafted items is also fairly low, so you either need to pay out the *** for them or ask one of the crafters to make them for you, but this is cheaper and they will likely do it for very little cost or free if you are friends with them.

----------------

Personally, I do not ever want to fight for NM claims again. I played in 2003-2010 or so and it was absolute hell to claim anything. Endgame and being in HNM Linkshells was the absolute *** worst. So I prefer low pop servers like Carbuncle and will never go to a higher pop server.

Even people who do HEAVY crafting and can't find a good market on Carbuncle still stay here as their main server for that reason, they just pay for server transfers to send mules to other servers to sell/buy stuff and come back. That being said, if you do want to craft a lot and don't want to pay real money to transfer, low pop servers might not be a good fit. As someone who doesn't really craft though, I couldn't care less.
[+]
By GetHelpNerd 2022-11-17 15:57:33
Link | Citer | R

SE likely loves the fact that low pop players transfer items to and from their server to populated servers so often.

borderline gil selling operation by SE
[+]
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2022-11-17 17:01:46
Link | Citer | R

i jumped to asura a while back but when I was last on lakshmi it was dead only few hundred people on at a time.
By Rips 2022-11-17 17:19:55
Link | Citer | R

GetHelpNerd said: »
SE likely loves the fact that low pop players transfer items to and from their server to populated servers so often.

It would be stupid of SE to server merge for this reason. I bet they regret the last one.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2022-11-17 17:27:15
Link | Citer | R

Rips said: »
GetHelpNerd said: »

It would be stupid of SE to server merge for this reason. I bet they regret the last one.

If we're to take the ffxiah figures seriously, they make at minimum 147,389.55/month from subscriptions. I highly doubt they consider whether or not they'll make another $16 in server transfers for the .1% of players who server transfer on a monthly basis. I know of like...4 people who have ever used server transfer for economic reasons like this, out of the hundreds I've met on the server. This is the smallest of potatoes and they probably lose more subscribers because they're not happy with their server experience than they would ever lose in server transfer fees by making it easier for crafters to sell their goods or buy materials.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-11-17 17:33:47
Link | Citer | R

If they would ever publish the numbers just from server jumpers it would likely blow your mind.

Multiple someones doing it back or forth every single day.

If they were making nothing from it, they would have closed small servers and merged to save the "nothing" by running less hardware.
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2022-11-17 17:46:23
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Multiple someones doing it back or forth every single day.

If they were making nothing from it, they would have closed small servers and merged to save the "nothing" by running less hardware.

I'm going to assume you mean "multiple people doing it every few days each, making for a single person doing it every single day" because there's a cooldown period and a single person literally can't do it every single day. But even if you assume that 1% of the population (extremely generous) is doing it every 4 days (unbelievably generous, and not at all representative of reality) it still makes up less than 8% of their income from the game. And this is UNBELIEVABLY not true.

I mean, there are more factors than just hardware and server transfers though.
-How about all the people who lose their character name because they got force merged?
-How about the people who don't want to compete for Sisyphus fragments and get frustrated?
-How about the people who are pissed their new server has 4x as much competition for the items they craft, since their host server has a ton of shields of the same type?
-How about the people who aren't happy with the fact that there are tons of shouts and mercs on their new server?
-Or that they can't get a CP camp because there are tons of bots at the camp they used to go to?
-People who aren't happy with queues for all of their events now?

There are a thousand reasons someone could be unhappy with a forced server transfer, and doing it to appeal to the less than 1% of people who are having trouble moving their crafted goods, or to save $1000/month in server maintenance is short-sighted at best.

Or maybe it's just a greedy company looking to make that sweet, sweet server transfer money. What do I know?
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-11-17 17:54:46
Link | Citer | R

You've all shown you're willing to eat whatever ***square feeds you, merges, despite the bitching would lose (essentially((yes I know, you, the one dood who would be simply OUTRAGED))) zero subs.

There would be no downside, the only logical outcome is that jumping produces more income (and doubles the playerbase metrics by being counted twice!) than merging would save.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Serveur: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-11-17 22:26:01
Link | Citer | R

Afania said: »

I was casually viewing AH shout channel a while ago and saw Asuran shouting for +8 cor with r25 Nyame and r15 gun for ambu VD. Too leet.

Thanks but no thanks!

There's always one scrub in the pack asking for this. Sometimes I join on my COR (who isn't +8) and purposely leave my regal necklace in my inactive bags. After we win, I say "oops forgot to put on my roll+ gear".
[+]
By Thunderjet 2022-11-17 22:39:41
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Afania said: »

Thanks but no thanks!

There's always one scrub in the pack asking for this. Sometimes I join on my COR (who isn't +8) and purposely leave my regal necklace in my inactive bags. After we win, I say "oops forgot to put on my roll+ gear".
Damn i never knew thats how it worked now i will yell
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-11-17 22:50:01
Link | Citer | R

I've been telling people to do that ***for years. No one knows what +roll +song +geo they're getting. They're too busy watching youtube while gearswap plays the game for them.

Just say you have it when they ask.