Ancient Magic II - Lowers Opposite Element

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » Ancient Magic II - Lowers opposite element
Ancient Magic II - Lowers opposite element
By Kasumuni88 2022-07-04 09:14:32
Link | Citer | R

There isnt much information I could find about this mechanic. Casting AMII will lower the resistance of the opposite element.

How much is it lowered by and for how long? Is it under the same criteria as elemental debuff same as aja spells?

Would it be worth casting Burst II on a mob before magic bursting with Earth?
 Quetzalcoatl.Commencal
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Scwall
By Quetzalcoatl.Commencal 2022-07-04 09:58:34
Link | Citer | R

Specific element by 30 for 15 seconds according to the jp wiki

http://wiki.ffo.jp/html/32355.html
[+]
 Valefor.Yandaime
Serveur: Valefor
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2022-07-04 14:28:59
Link | Citer | R

I don’t recall it being worth it to cast a Counter-AM before a magic burst as it only increased the Magic Accuracy and didn’t actually add to damage potential beyond resist rates and 30MACC is small especially when the mana cost is considered.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-07-04 17:51:33
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Commencal said: »
Specific element by 30 for 15 seconds according to the jp wiki

http://wiki.ffo.jp/html/32355.html
kinda like a mini rayke in regards to the SDT (special damage type), with crappier results and duration. I'd love to hear about situations where others have used them to their advantage- but when I consider the resultant damage for MP spent, usually 2 proper element nukes of the same MP cost as a AM2 of the wrong element plus a stronger nuke of the right one amounts to more total damage.
 Asura.Geriond
Serveur: Asura
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2022-07-04 18:06:55
Link | Citer | R

It's not like Rayke at all; it affects elemental resistance values, not resistance ranks. Even if the mob is exactly at the threshold for automatically halving nuke damage, you'll still get halved even if you add AMII.

It's more like 50% of a +0 song Threnody I.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-07-04 18:28:21
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Geriond said: »
It's not like Rayke at all; it affects elemental resistance values, not resistance ranks. Even if the mob is exactly at the threshold for automatically halving nuke damage, you'll still get halved even if you add AMII.

It's more like 50% of a +0 song Threnody I.
much appreciate the clarification! I definitely had it very off, and since we now experience content where such differences do matter (SDT vs just elemental resist), definitely good to have out there.
[+]
 Fenrir.Melphina
Serveur: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2022-07-04 23:52:04
Link | Citer | R

It's also dumb that the elemental wheel is working in the wrong direction. You don't want to cast BURST to lower ongo's resistances to earth spells. You want to cast QUAKE to make that happen. There is no point casting a spell that a mob is strong against to lower its elemental resistance by 30 on the element it should already be vulnerable to. Quake should reduce elemental resistance by 30 on earth spells, not burst. Flood should reduce water resistances by 30, not flare. Tornado should lower wind reistance, but instead it lowers ice. The whole system was not well thought out at all when they implemented it.
[+]
 Asura.Dexprozius
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Dexprozius 2022-07-05 22:23:05
Link | Citer | R

So given this info, is it still the consensus then that it isnt worth Burst II'ing Ongo to increase the macc/damage potential of the Stone magic bursts?
[+]
By Nariont 2022-07-05 23:37:42
Link | Citer | R

It's 15 seconds of -30 ele evasion, i really dont see it making that much of a difference
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Commencal
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Scwall
By Quetzalcoatl.Commencal 2022-07-06 11:52:35
Link | Citer | R

I wonder if it would even stack with Earth Threnody? I doubt it would have a serious effect even if they did.
By SimonSes 2022-07-06 12:08:33
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Commencal said: »
I wonder if it would even stack with Earth Threnody? I doubt it would have a serious effect even if they did.

It would stack for sure, because song debuffs has song icon. Like you said it wouldn't be that significant. Threnody itself is -205 and Soul Voiced it's -410.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2022-07-06 15:01:26
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Melphina said: »
It's also dumb that the elemental wheel is working in the wrong direction. You don't want to cast BURST to lower ongo's resistances to earth spells. You want to cast QUAKE to make that happen. There is no point casting a spell that a mob is strong against to lower its elemental resistance by 30 on the element it should already be vulnerable to. Quake should reduce elemental resistance by 30 on earth spells, not burst. Flood should reduce water resistances by 30, not flare. Tornado should lower wind reistance, but instead it lowers ice. The whole system was not well thought out at all when they implemented it.
I almost got my hopes up for a NIN and BLM mana burning the wheel strategy..... Oh well
By Kasumuni88 2022-07-07 03:39:54
Link | Citer | R

Since we are on the topic of AMII, with merits involved to increase its MB damage, would it be worth bursting with these because of their short casting time over aja or t5-6?

When fighting ongo or krebs, I wonder if its worth changing a gear set to add more magic attack over MBB since the bonus of 10 is added to the cap from merits.