Asura.Geriond
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2022-02-27 08:22:34
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Furyspawn said: »
Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
One big difference between back then and now is that now, basically all events give EXP / CP / MXP so you can just play your normal stuff ...

I feel like they could increase the amount of exemplar points you get in older but still relatively current high-level content areas like Dynamis Divergence and to a lesser degree Omen (and possibly Vagary). Outside of Odyssey and apex mobs, nothing really rewards exemplar points.

I'm not sure what SE uses to determine content level, but the exemplar point rewards are too disparate. While mobs in Sheol C (129-135) hit way harder than apex mobs (e.g. 134-136 bats in Ra'Kaznar) and Dyna D fodder (134 in W2) of the same level, it seems like they all have a generally similar amount of hit points. Single-digit exemplar points in Dynamis Divergence don't make much sense when compared to the amount awarded by apex mobs or the (most likely inflated) values seen in Odyssey.

If I had to guess, SE isn't using something logical like ascribed content levels to determine exemplar points across the board, but instead picked a very limited set of specific enemies to manually apply non-trivial exemplar point ranges. It would be nice to see either the content levels brought in line to the exemplar points earned or vice versa.

Odyssey mobs don't have generally similar hit points to Apex of the same level. Sheol C mobs have somewhere around 60k-80k HP depending on floor, while Apex mobs of similar level have about twice as much (~120k-160k).

SE does have a system for exemplar points gain. There's a base value that depends on the level difference between you and the mob (where your level is calculated as 119 + Master Level/5), and then a multiplier that depends on what category of mob it is. Normal mobs have a 1x multiplier for EP, Odyssey mobs have a 3x multiplier, Apex mobs have a 5x multiplier, and the "super" apex mobs in Inner Ra'kaznar have an 8x multiplier.

As an example, a mob 15 levels higher than you has a base EP of 80, resulting in normal mobs giving 80, Odyssey mobs giving 240, Apex mobs giving 400, and super Apex mobs giving 640.
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2022-02-27 08:29:21
Link | Citer | R

Keep in mind, we're probably going to get some new kind of battlefield content that people will be spamming with the 20th anniversary (if the hype is to be believed) that we're gonna need all of this OP armor they have been giving us for. Probably going to be good Exemplar Points there (hopefully; if they don't screw the pooch).

Me when I have a shred of hope in SquareEnix with regards to Final Fantasy XI:
[+]
 Odin.Lusiphur
Serveur: Odin
user: Chakan
By Odin.Lusiphur 2022-02-27 09:02:55
Link | Citer | R

They've literally outright said that TVR is going to get new battle content.
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2022-02-27 09:07:13
Link | Citer | R

...and they have literally delayed promised content before because it's not ready. That's more where I was going with that. Not that it /won't/ happen, but it could be pushed back. Hoping it will be on time. Would be such a kick in the nuts if they missed their hard deadline of May. Well... technically they didn't say the new stuff was coming in May, I guess. Just that "something" is coming in May for the 20th anniversary. We'll see, I guess. Mostly it's just fun to make fun of SE's ineptitude handling this old spaghetti code game. The virus of unspecified origin didn't help ANYBODY with pre-Corona time frames though.
 Odin.Lusiphur
By Odin.Lusiphur 2022-02-27 09:13:21
Link | Citer | R

I would assume the final chapters of TVR should be expected for May and hopefully the initial release of whatever the battle content is. It could always be released in segments, just like Dynamis Divergence, Odyssey, and most of the other content in the last decade or so.

I feel like we're getting a decent bit of "new" stuff already in advance and people are just blind to it because they're negative nancies. If they're not mostly content with the game at all right now, they should probably just hang their hat up at this point.

It would be kind of crazy if TVR stretches out as long to roll out as WotG did...
 Fenrir.Melphina
Serveur: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2022-02-27 09:23:00
Link | Citer | R

It'll probably be out in may or June at latest. Delays are always possible, but that still doesn't change the topic at hand. I believe people have already identified three (??) new zones in the dats as well. My guess is we'll be going to Valhalla, but we'll just have to wait and see. The only thing we can be sure of is that it'll be an instanced event, likely with a one day lockout. I get their reasoning for the lockout too. The daily key item helps ensure everyone gets their turn at the content. I do hope they allow the entry items to stack this time though... and this time let us have our sub jobs please.
 Odin.Lusiphur
By Odin.Lusiphur 2022-02-27 10:09:47
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Melphina said: »
It'll probably be out in may or June at latest. Delays are always possible, but that still doesn't change the topic at hand. I believe people have already identified three (??) new zones in the dats as well. My guess is we'll be going to Valhalla, but we'll just have to wait and see. The only thing we can be sure of is that it'll be an instanced event, likely with a one day lockout. I get their reasoning for the lockout too. The daily key item helps ensure everyone gets their turn at the content. I do hope they allow the entry items to stack this time though... and this time let us have our sub jobs please.
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2022-02-27 15:01:51
Link | Citer | R

My guess is we'll be going to Valhalla, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Tartarus is my guess. Selh'teus and Balamor are always going on and on about it. I hope we get some new dark city to explore with shops and such. Not just time-gated battlefields with weird mechanics.
[+]
 Leviathan.Andret
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2022-02-27 15:52:30
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Aeonova said: »
Wow. That takes me back. Next thing ya know, I'll have to start a tele-taxi service again to afford a Noble's Tunic.

Back in my day. It was 2.5k for a Qufim raise. Sold my tele scrolls and had to raise people for cash to buy them back.
 Asura.Zidaner
user: Xavierr
By Asura.Zidaner 2022-02-27 15:54:55
Link | Citer | R

I hate paying for gas to drive my vehicle to work so I can make more money to pay for more gas.
[+]
By Tokimemofan 2022-02-27 16:57:49
Link | Citer | R

I remember those days, I would often pop a raise for people just out of courtesy, still do sometimes even now.
By Sabishii 2022-02-27 17:51:55
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Aeonova said: »
My guess is we'll be going to Valhalla, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Tartarus is my guess. Selh'teus and Balamor are always going on and on about it. I hope we get some new dark city to explore with shops and such. Not just time-gated battlefields with weird mechanics.

SPOILERS

It's Valhalla, home of Odin and his Valkyries. The cutscenes don't mention Tartarus, but they talk at length about a mountain in Valhalla the Galkas who die scale to be reborn/reincarnated (story touches on a certain Galkan warrior who impressed Odin with his strength, and so Odin bestowed upon his race Reincarnation, which is why Galkas reincarnate after they die, instead of remaining in the afterlife for good).

There's also a war going on in Valhalla between Odin's forces, and the "Maelstrom Mage", a shadowy figure that threatened Windurst in the past. There's also the World Eater Egg spawned from the monster Chaos. The "Dark relics" are black weapons forged by goblins in the past for warriors in the beastmen tribes to fight Chaos. Chaos was defeated, but at a great price of lives (the beastmen alliance was part of a forgotten history of the tribes, which is why no one mentions it until the Voracious Resurgence).

Balamor and Sel'hteus haven't shown up at all.

We're probably going to Valhalla to stop the Maelstrom Mage from using the power of Chaos to overthrow Odin, and restore the cycle of reincarnation that gets disrupted in the latest mission (Odin closes off Valhalla from Vana'diel/the mortal realm, so Galkas can no longer reincarnate at the moment).
[+]
By RadialArcana 2022-02-27 18:26:29
Link | Citer | R

From what I remember, each race has their own mother crystal. When any die, they are absorbed back into any mother crystal and their soul is reborn into a new form from their specific one.

The galka mother crystal is Al'taieu, the Zilart found a way to warp the entire capital and the mother crystal inside itself as a defense against Bahamut and created a paradox. How can something exist if it's inside itself.

As such no Galka can be reborn, when they die they stay dead.

So if the Odin thing is true it explains how Galka still exist, it could also explain why there are no female Galka. Odin granted re-incarnation to the male warriors and let the females die out, since that is very much how he operates. He grants power and immortality but you become his slave etc Gives you something of great value but curses you along with it, shadow lord, lillith etc.

---

Quote:
Valhǫll, in Norse mythology, is where all men who died with honor in battle go to until Ragnarǫk, the Fate of the Gods. This golden fortress is Óðinn's hall. Reaching Valhöll was a goal for most Norse warriors and has been called the "Viking Heaven".

When men died in the midst of battle on Earth, the Valkyries would come for them and bring them to Valhöll for the last battle. They would be made immortal and trained against each other for the whole day. At the end of the day, those wounded would be healed and those who fought would part as friends. By night drank mead and sang to Óðinn. They were known as Einherjar.

The golden tree Glasir is located outside the hall, as is the tree Læraðr, sometimes identified with Yggdrasill. The stag Eikþyrnir and the goat Heiðrún.

Valkyrie

[+]
By Ruaumoko 2022-02-27 22:10:39
Link | Citer | R

Sabishii said: »
There's also a war going on in Valhalla between Odin's forces, and the "Maelstrom Mage", a shadowy figure that threatened Windurst in the past.
It's attention to pre-existing lore like this I've really liked in this storyline. During the Windurst section of the story the ministers say that there is an account of this mage being accompanied by one of the Demon Kindred, who we know work for Odin.

Odin and his Kindred reaching out to remarkable mortals is something we've seen before. Luzaf, Lilisette and Gunther Schultz.
Odin has massively under-estimated this mage though...
[+]
 Bahamut.Unagihito
Serveur: Bahamut
user: eelman
By Bahamut.Unagihito 2022-02-27 23:21:07
Link | Citer | R

There are probably at least two more sections of the story until we get new zones. First Windurst then San d'Oria. Then we're headed to Rhazowa to find portal to the underworld in the remains of the dead worldtree. The next zone will be the area around the mountain, with the last zone being the mountain itself. Got it.
By SimonSes 2022-02-28 02:11:37
Link | Citer | R

Just wait for ML70+, when it will be like 1M EP to next level, and you will lose 50k EP from single death :)
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2022-02-28 02:44:41
Link | Citer | R

Isn't there a cap on the maximum amount of Exemplar Points lost, similar to how there always was a cap to the maximum amount of Experience Points lost? (this cap was reduced at least once, but it was there from day 1)
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-02-28 02:56:55
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Sechs said: »
Isn't there a cap on the maximum amount of Exemplar Points lost, similar to how there always was a cap to the maximum amount of Experience Points lost? (this cap was reduced at least once, but it was there from day 1)

We will see I guess. Unless we have already reached it?
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2022-02-28 03:21:57
Link | Citer | R

To get back in topic:

Granted that players like us have seen much worse days in terms of lost levels etc, I agree with the OP that content like that shouldn't generate a loss of Exemplary Points or Experience Points, but this seems to be SE's stance as well, they just probably forgot or didn't have the time to update it.

I'm not a fan of exp loss in general. It made a lot of sense back then because there was an ongoing cycle, today it seems more like an anachronistic thing as a for of fanservice towards old players? I dunno.
Either way I'm not too fussed about it honestly.

I'm more concerned about how big the jumps in Exemplary Points needed have been so far, hopefully things will stabilize eventually because otherwise it's gonna be a mess.
I'm confident that new apex monsters/camps will give more Points, making the catch up process faster for the first 20-30 ML.
Also they will eventually add static bonuses like they did for Capacity Points.
Altough if you ask me instead of complicating things with 20000000 hidden % bonuses, if you have to go that route you might as well just increase the points given or reduce the amounts required. More straightforward, less headaches, more fair for returning players.
[+]
By FaeQueenCory 2022-02-28 05:28:34
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Sechs said: »
Altough if you ask me instead of complicating things with 20000000 hidden % bonuses, if you have to go that route you might as well just increase the points given or reduce the amounts required. More straightforward, less headaches, more fair for returning players.
Most definitely. It was a super odd choice to make pretty much only odyssey and apex mobs give out any amount of worthwhile points.
However, chances are, they just did the same thing like with capacity points where they just put in a derivative formula based off of the exp value the mob gives. This would also explain why gaol NMs give so little exmp.

Chances are they're gonna go the cap route and give RoEs an exemplar point bonus modifier... though they're gonna need something ridiculous since MLv goes up to 99 in the search, and it definitely seems like that will be an inevitable end point.

Though it's also possible they're just gonna add in super-ultra-mega-apexes. Maybe we'll get lucky and they just change it to mirror capacity points in totals.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2022-02-28 07:50:37
Link | Citer | R

FaeQueenCory said: »
However, chances are, they just did the same thing like with capacity points where they just put in a derivative formula based off of the exp value the mob gives. This would also explain why gaol NMs give so little exmp.
The game uses a unique formula specifically for EP.

Mob level higher or equal: (20 + dlvl*4) * Category multiplier
Mob level lower or equal: (20 + dlvl*2) * Category multiplier

dlvl is (mob level - player level), where player level is 119 + floor(master level/5).

Category multiplier is either 1 (normal mobs), 3 (Odyssey mobs), 5 (Apex mobs), or 8 (Inner Ra'Kaznar super Apex mobs).
By Draylo 2022-02-28 10:06:16
Link | Citer | R

Im amazed the post got 74 likes, thats like the entire forum lol
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-02-28 10:12:05
Link | Citer | R

76 now. Holy crap on a cracker.
By Mattelot 2022-02-28 10:42:08
Link | Citer | R

Where are you seeing that?
 Bahamut.Suph
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Suph
By Bahamut.Suph 2022-02-28 10:48:34
Link | Citer | R

Mattelot said: »

with the
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-02-28 10:49:46
Link | Citer | R

This post here.

Is this how we elect our king or something? Has Aeonova won the forums?
By Mattelot 2022-02-28 10:57:13
Link | Citer | R

Oh it actually is here. While I do agree with the post, don't let like numbers fool you. Considering how many here have a several accounts. Main reason why voting systems are meaningless.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-02-28 10:58:53
Link | Citer | R

Oh it actually is here. While I do agree with the post, don't let like numbers fool you. Considering how many here have a several accounts. Main reason why voting systems are meaningless.
lol would people really be logging into sock puppet accounts just to upvote a meme?
[+]
By Mattelot 2022-02-28 11:00:25
Link | Citer | R

You would be surprised what people will use alt accounts for. The term sock puppet is more reserved for actual posting. I've seen people mass upvote their own posts with their various crafting mules.

Never underestimate the lengths people will go.

EDIT: And another thing I've learned in my experience is that there is also the sheeple effect. Again, not knocking Aeon's meme as it's not incorrect but people will like a post just because it has a bunch of likes.

Not counting Aeon's post but you can see this with little clues they love to leave. Have you not ever seen a post that was dumb yet had several likes and no matter how objectively you look at it, it's still dumb? Those are more likely than not, one of the aforementioned cases.
[+]