Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Controller Issues
Controller Issues
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-10-29 17:06:35
Link | Citer | R

I brought this up in Random Thoughts the other day, but I think I need to dedicate a thread to it rather than bloat it with more stuff.

I'd previously been using an Xbox 360 controller to play FFXI. About a week ago, I'd had enough of the rumble feature going off every time I autoattacked, so I went into the FFXI controller config to disable it. In doing so, it seemed to stop the controller from communicating the trigger (L2/R2) buttons to the game, so I could no longer use macros.

I figured this would be a good opportunity to try the PS4 controller which I bought a month prior to replace it. It worked briefly, then suddenly started giving me a ton of issues.
> About 40% of the time, my computer altogether doesn't detect the controller
> Another 40% of the time, my computer detects the controller, but it has no input ability on any games.
> A further 15% of the time, it will work, but turn itself off randomly.
> The final 5% of the time it works without issue.

Furthermore, the controller is often read by my PC as an audio input/output device, muting my speakers as it tries to play all of the audio through the controller, all the while receiving audio as though I had a microphone plugged in.

If I try using the software DS4Windows, the controller is detected and then undetected and then detected again in an infinite loop every ~5 seconds or so. Even when it is active, the software causes my PC to read it as an Xbox controller, and FFXI won't respond to an Xbox controller's trigger buttons (even when it's actually a DualShock 4).

I don't think it's the controller. It's brand new, but sadly not new enough to return to the seller. I've tried connecting it to Bluetooth and by USB. I even went out and bought a new USB cable. I've tried every possible suggestion on Google - which was fruitless because almost every site basically just said "Plug it in, it should do everything automatically". I've tried it with Steam inactive, with Steam active (and with various settings changed).

I'm frustrated to tears. Please help.
By RadialArcana 2021-10-29 17:20:28
Link | Citer | R

Do you have Xinput enabled in the config? That's linked to the shoulder buttons I think.

There is another option in windower beyond the pencil icon too.

Also it sounds like maybe power saving is kicking in and shutting off usb device maybe?
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-10-29 17:31:45
Link | Citer | R

I can't find Xinput. Where would that be?
By RadialArcana 2021-10-29 17:37:31
Link | Citer | R

YouTube Video Placeholder

Shows it in this video, it's at the top on the right hand side. Enable XInput, 2nd from bottom.
By Jetackuu 2021-10-29 18:47:27
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
I can't find Xinput. Where would that be?
By Jetackuu 2021-10-29 18:48:19
Link | Citer | R

That is the setup for a 360 controller, but as I said the other day: steam can *** with it.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-10-29 21:35:43
Link | Citer | R

I literally don't have those options.

This is what mine looks like. Halp!

EDIT: Wait a second, I found another configuration editor that looks like the one you showed. Standby...

EDIT: I'm still having issues with the controller being read by my PC, Steam or no Steam. But I think this makes sense why suddenly my Xbox controller stopped working. I guess whatever weird secondary Pad Config I was using lacked that functionality, and when I used it to save my settings it overwrote the other tool's settings.

Now if I could just get my PC to regularly receive input from the controller I'd be golden...
By Jetackuu 2021-10-29 21:48:05
Link | Citer | R

there is a main and then one for each language, gotta make sure you're running the right one for your region

as far as the ps4 controller, I've never heard of somebody successfully getting a wireless ps4 controller being stable. Could try wired.
By alzeerffxi 2021-10-29 21:48:34
Link | Citer | R

I literally don't have those options.

This is what mine looks like. Halp!

EDIT: Wait a second, I found another configuration editor that looks like the one you showed. Standby...

EDIT: I'm still having issues with the controller being read by my PC, Steam or no Steam. But I think this makes sense why suddenly my Xbox controller stopped working. I guess whatever weird secondary Pad Config I was using lacked that functionality, and when I used it to save my settings it overwrote the other tool's settings.

Now if I could just get my PC to regularly receive input from the controller I'd be golden...

u have to go in the tools eu/ or us i think to get the old settings, one of them should work
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-10-29 22:24:32
Link | Citer | R

Jetackuu said: »
there is a main and then one for each language, gotta make sure you're running the right one for your region
Yeah I think I got that aspect figured out. Thanks!

as far as the ps4 controller, I've never heard of somebody successfully getting a wireless ps4 controller being stable. Could try wired.
It's plugged in with USB, if that's what you mean. If not, I'm not sure I've come across a fully-wired controller since the PS2 days.
By Jetackuu 2021-10-29 23:02:06
Link | Citer | R

but are you still trying to use the bluetooth connection to control it, or the usb? if the former it explains a lot, if the latter then whack.
 Bahamut.Bizarro
Serveur: Bahamut
user: bizarro
By Bahamut.Bizarro 2021-10-29 23:40:20
Link | Citer | R

It's plugged in with USB, if that's what you mean. If not, I'm not sure I've come across a fully-wired controller since the PS2 days.

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-940-000110-Gamepad-F310/dp/B003VAHYQY
[+]
 Siren.Dekoda
Serveur: Siren
user: Dekoda
By Siren.Dekoda 2021-10-29 23:57:44
Link | Citer | R

I’ve never had success with a DualShock 4 on FFXI. I just don’t think it’s possible even with a wrapper. There always seem to be input delays or missed inputs.

I currently use a DualShock 3 with the official Sony drivers and they never give me issues. A wired Logitech controller is another option. Before the official Sony drivers came out, I was using a DualShock 2 with a USB adapter but they’re very hit or miss. Might be hard to find a brand new DualShock 3 these days (a lot of them are Chinese counterfeit so watch out).

I’m curious how the DualSense works. I thought at one time SE was going to expand compatibility with other controllers but the prospects don’t look great for the DualShock 4. It seems like the they want people to use either an Xbox game pad or Logitech.
 Shiva.Thorny
Serveur: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-10-30 07:48:28
Link | Citer | R

Don't install via steam. If you did, reinstall from the free download on SE's website(there are ways around doing a full reinstall, at the very least you could back up the ROM folders and paste them back over so that the ingame update takes less time).

Make sure the game is fully updated and closed. Open 'Final Fantasy XI Config.exe' from 'C:\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\ToolsUS' (Tools for JP, ToolsEU for EU).

Click Gamepad settings button near the bottom.

If you're using a dualshock or dualsense controller connected by wire via usb, do not enable XInput. You should be fine to set up controls and play.

If you're using an xbox controller, do enable XInput. You should be fine to set up controls and play.

If you're using a dualshock or dualsense controller wirelessly, you need to go back and set up DS4Windows prior to messing with the game's settings, then enable XInput in the settings, and pray. There are varied reports of people managing to get it to work, and honestly it's probably more trouble than it's worth, but the crux of the issue is that you need to use DS4windows to convert it to xinput because ffxi will not recognize it as a directinput device while wireless.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2021-10-30 10:13:21
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Don't install via steam. If you did, reinstall from the free download on SE's website(there are ways around doing a full reinstall, at the very least you could back up the ROM folders and paste them back over so that the ingame update takes less time).

Make sure the game is fully updated and closed. Open 'Final Fantasy XI Config.exe' from 'C:\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\ToolsUS' (Tools for JP, ToolsEU for EU).

Click Gamepad settings button near the bottom.

If you're using a dualshock or dualsense controller connected by wire via usb, do not enable XInput. You should be fine to set up controls and play.

If you're using an xbox controller, do enable XInput. You should be fine to set up controls and play.

If you're using a dualshock or dualsense controller wirelessly, you need to go back and set up DS4Windows prior to messing with the game's settings, then enable XInput in the settings, and pray. There are varied reports of people managing to get it to work, and honestly it's probably more trouble than it's worth, but the crux of the issue is that you need to use DS4windows to convert it to xinput because ffxi will not recognize it as a directinput device while wireless.

Thank you, only ever tried getting a ps4 controller working once, didn't care for it and just ordered an extra 360 wireless adapter.

I hear the ps4 controller can work wirelessly well if you have the discontinued official adapter, but *** that.
By Jetackuu 2021-10-30 10:13:59
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Bizarro said: »

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-940-000110-Gamepad-F310/dp/B003VAHYQY

Easy enough to get working, definitely feels cheap tho.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2021-10-30 10:15:22
Link | Citer | R

but are you still trying to use the bluetooth connection to control it, or the usb? if the former it explains a lot, if the latter then whack.
No, I long since removed the Bluetooth dongle because that was my first guess as well. I've been solely trying to connect it via USB. In my mind, if I can get it to work while connected directly, maybe then I can try connecting it wirelessly.

Siren.Dekoda said: »
I’ve never had success with a DualShock 4 on FFXI. I just don’t think it’s possible even with a wrapper. There always seem to be input delays or missed inputs.
When it does work those 1-in-20 times, it works flawlessly. As for the PS3 controller, I didn't even know that was a thing. I've got tons of those, but back in the day I couldn't use them. My friends told me I had to buy a PS4 controller back in the day. But that didn't work either, so I returned it. This time I bought one, stupidly waited until after my 30-day return window closed, then tried it.

Shiva.Thorny said: »
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I've installed FFXI from the official web site. I only mentioned Steam because a bunch of the searches I did earlier pointed to Steam. Every search I did prior to posting here seemed to imply that it was the easiest thing in the world. "Just turn on Steam, plug the DS4 into your PC via USB, Steam will automatically install all of your drivers, and it'll work"
By Jetackuu 2021-10-30 10:19:04
Link | Citer | R

You can get a ps3 controller to work but it requires a driver pack to do so, windows won't install it natively. M$ bs.

Every controller basically since the xbox is a x-input controller sans the ps4 controller without using a special driver (and the logitech f310 in direct mode (there's a switch on the back)).

tl;dr listen to Thorny.
[+]
 Bahamut.Bizarro
By Bahamut.Bizarro 2021-10-30 11:33:59
Link | Citer | R

All 5 of us are still using the F370 anyway. I have one of the F310s as back up.
By Jetackuu 2021-10-30 11:40:39
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Bizarro said: »

All 5 of us are still using the F370 anyway. I have one of the F310s as back up.

You mean the 710? not familiar with a 370.
 Bahamut.Bizarro
By Bahamut.Bizarro 2021-10-30 12:16:55
Link | Citer | R

Yeah that.