Minnow Wrangler

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Fishing » Minnow Wrangler
Minnow Wrangler
By Hirronimus 2021-02-19 12:17:42
Link | Citer | R

So this RoE Objective is presenting to be more difficult that it should be. You need to catch 1 gil, as it is the smallest catch possible, to complete.

I have 2 accounts. On one of them I was able to complete this using Carbon Rod and Lugworms in Bastok Mines based on someone's recommendation. On the other, I have no such luck.

I tried using Carbon and Lugworms in Bastok Mines, Ebisu and Fly Lures in Al Zhabi, Fastwater and Minnows in Windy Waters. With variations on the combinations. I am having no luck with this. Collectively I have spent maybe 3 hours, if not more, trying to finish this stupid Objective.

Also, I did not use any fishing gear, do not have any fishing Moglifications active. My Fishing Skill is 110.

I don't know if anyone still reads these forums, but any help or advice is greatly appreciate. This is not a game breaking goal for me, but I just want to finish it.
 Asura.Eiryl
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-02-19 12:21:01
Link | Citer | R

it took an obnoxiously long time to do, indeed.

I got it with lug worms in bastok mines in about 30 minutes, after about an hour of not getting it in windurst waters.

The catch pool is heavily skewed to rusty junk over the 1 gil
By Hirronimus 2021-02-19 12:47:09
Link | Citer | R

So am I doing everything right, just have shitty luck?
 Leviathan.Andret
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2021-02-19 12:51:41
Link | Citer | R

I think there was this Moglification that let you fish up more items. I think it was putting a ton of rusty buckets in your mog house. Not sure if it would help though.
 Shiva.Kasaioni
Serveur: Shiva
user: Kasaioni
By Shiva.Kasaioni 2021-02-19 12:56:43
Link | Citer | R

https://www.bg-wiki.com/ffxi/Moghancement:_Fishing_(Items)

It's been so long since I had to do this, but I want to say I got it when I was trying to fish up a Bibiki Urchin in Purgonorgo Isle.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-02-19 13:01:40
Link | Citer | R

Hirronimus said: »
So am I doing everything right, just have shitty luck?

Insofar as the bite rate is low, and your luck is also low lol

Just keep trying.
By Hirronimus 2021-02-19 13:26:08
Link | Citer | R

Sad Panda ;;
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-02-19 16:15:18
Link | Citer | R

Sometimes you can be doing everything right and the RNG just screws you. I recall this being a pain. I also recall switching locations/setups once or twice. Probably should have just brute-forced it trying my original setup since it's just a time/patience thing at any of the locations.

This was one of the more painful things to fish up, however. Something you would fish up on the regular when you don't want it and then when you actually do need it, it's nowhere to be found. That sort of deal.
 Leviathan.Andret
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Andret
By Leviathan.Andret 2021-02-19 16:56:18
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Kasaioni said: »

It's been so long since I had to do this, but I want to say I got it when I was trying to fish up a Bibiki Urchin in Purgonorgo Isle.

Did it work? I can't fish up those evil fish no matter how hard I tried. I could get a couple but there were too few.
 Shiva.Liam
By Shiva.Liam 2021-02-19 19:04:28
Link | Citer | R

I got this quite quickly in Dragons Aery while fishing for crescent fish with lu shangs/ fly lure. maybe i was just lucky that day.

I also got one in sea serpent grotto fishing Nebimonite but didn't have the objective set ><

RNG can be horrible though, I've spent hours trying to mine a midrium ore from moh gates and still no dice
By Hirronimus 2021-02-20 20:42:23
Link | Citer | R

4 more stacks of Lugworms and still nothing.
 Lakshmi.Avereith
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Lilianna
By Lakshmi.Avereith 2021-02-20 20:46:56
Link | Citer | R

I think I got mine on the windy waters bridge near exit with a robber rig on ebisu +1. just luck is all
By Hirronimus 2021-02-20 21:17:19
Link | Citer | R

In that case I got pretty shitty luck xD
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-02-20 21:21:50
Link | Citer | R

The bite rate on the 1 gil is dog turds. Seriously.

Are you actually fishing or are you just turning on a lua. Any program might incorrectly be reading the bite and letting it go.
 Valefor.Reddfield
Serveur: Valefor
user: Reddfield
By Valefor.Reddfield 2021-02-21 00:11:10
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Andret said: »

Did it work? I can't fish up those evil fish no matter how hard I tried. I could get a couple but there were too few.

These are the bloody albatross around my neck too. Looked up as much info as I can, using Lu Shang's +1 with a variety of bait, still nada. Properly irritating as they are one of the lowest down in the fish catalogue :|
By Hirronimus 2021-02-21 05:57:31
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eiryl said: »
The bite rate on the 1 gil is dog turds. Seriously.

Are you actually fishing or are you just turning on a lua. Any program might incorrectly be reading the bite and letting it go.

I am fishing. I wish I didn't waste 7 hours of my time doing this *** quest, but here were. Seriously tho, the conditions on both of my accounts are identical. I caught it on my 3rd cast with one of my accounts and on the second one I spent 7 hours with no luck.

I tried Ebisu and Fly Lure in Al Zhabi, Ebisu and Minnow/Robber Rig in Windy on Bridge and near Cooking Guild, Carbon and Lugworms(what I used on my other char and got it on 3rd cast), Ebisu and Fly Lure in Aery. I'm at my wits end.

Either it's bugged or the RNG really hates my 2nd char.
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2021-02-21 07:38:04
Link | Citer | R

Not getting what you're after in FFXI? Working as intended.
[+]
By Heck 2021-02-21 08:12:48
Link | Citer | R

Before this recent update I got it in about an hour with minnow + lu shang in windy near the cooking guild facing away from the Home Point. Then when I went to fish in Boyhda tree for Crescent Fish I got it on my first cast. Seems like its mostly RNG
By waffle 2021-02-21 09:39:58
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Reddfield said: »
Leviathan.Andret said: »

These are the bloody albatross around my neck too. Looked up as much info as I can, using Lu Shang's +1 with a variety of bait, still nada. Properly irritating as they are one of the lowest down in the fish catalogue :|

The issue with bibiki urchins is that originally they were only available from clamming, and when SE added them to fishing they decided that it was important that clamming stay the main method of getting them. So they set the rate so that it wouldn't be higher than clamming.

They mentioned it in this jp dev post - https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/353?p=596315&viewfull=1#post596315
By gargurty 2021-02-21 10:33:50
Link | Citer | R

wel that sux then cos i never saw them during clamming too lol
By Hirronimus 2021-03-02 20:21:09
Link | Citer | R

Just wanted to provide an update to this nightmare.

After almost 20+ hours, I've finally completed this dreadful quest.
Used Composite Rod/Lug Worms in Bastok Mines. Same spot and equipment my other character used to catch on first try.

This proves that it's completely random and SE are evil.

That is all and good luck to you if you try this.
 Shiva.Kasaioni
user: Kasaioni
By Shiva.Kasaioni 2021-03-02 20:30:37
Link | Citer | R

It took a long time for me to fish up one urchin.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2021-03-02 20:39:44
Link | Citer | R

Wasted an hour on Urchins myself, didn't get one to bite.

Some of the bite pools are just reasonably low.