Odyssey Segment Farming
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Shiva.Thorny
Serveur: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2021-05-05 09:26:19
Link | Citer | R

NA players don't organize reporting groups. We aren't even allowed to name and shame on any of the major NA forums. It's correct that it's a small section of JP, but it's still primarily JP that are going on these reporting initiatives.

It doesn't really matter, if you don't cheat, and you don't advertise that you cheat, you won't get banned. Same standpoint I've always had, it's not fair to blame the person or software that detected you cheating. It's still your choice to cheat.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2021-05-05 09:27:10
Link | Citer | R

Also, most of the tweets are aimed at botting and mass account creation, them getting banned is a good thing. I would report them too.
 Carbuncle.Nynja
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2021-05-05 11:05:44
Link | Citer | R

Remember when back in the day people would treat their XI playstyle with Fight Club rules? Even on third party sites like this one?

Now people (not everyone, but a large chunk of people have gotten really comfortable in their belief that SE no longer cares about XI) are live discussing their tools in LS chat in game...and then they wonder why they get banned.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2021-05-05 12:38:05
Link | Citer | R

Nothing wrong with reporting bots, or having an account dedicated to doing so. I think it's a good idea, why don't we have one in English?

As for the Odyssey farm, 9k+ requires a really solid setup and a ton of luck. The mod placement in the video is way better than my experiences. I usually get a bunch of Bhoots, Soulflayers and Malboro's all over the place. Some runs you're just happy to find something reasonable to fight.

The average group shouldn't be upset if they aren't getting anywhere near 9k. 3k is the general aim for most groups, but things happen. All it takes is one unlucky death and it kills the run. Flawless runs don't come easy. If you can get anything over 6k, consider yourself lucky to be with a great group.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zaps
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Zaps
By Lakshmi.Zaps 2021-05-05 14:29:32
Link | Citer | R

As long as their have been third party tools, there have been people that get banned for talking about them in game. There is a line in the sand, and as long as you don't cross that line, even getting GM'd doesn't mean anything.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-05-05 14:55:23
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
9k+ requires a really solid setup and a ton of luck

Moreso having 6 elite players.

You can save time by pulling two close groups instead of one. You can save time by skipping the bottom floor if it doesn't have a Halo. As mentioned, you can buff at the first group, retain 5 songs, get a reset, use SPs early. All things that save time. Use your mage or Bard to scout on third floor so you save time traveling.
By Foxfire 2021-05-05 15:09:07
Link | Citer | R

that's incredibly reductive.

resetting is luck, you could encounter a set of mobs that dispel things, or mobs that have a lot of outgoing damage/full dispels (puks/bigbirds disregard i'm wrong here in first case, scorpions/ameretats/manticore second, dahaks second/third case).

sure, you could be geared to the teeth but bad luck could *** you over regardless. at the end of the day, you're still bound to having good floor layouts that your team can work with.

maybe your tank gets stripped by a lamia at a bad time. who ***' knows.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2021-05-05 15:10:51
Link | Citer | R

Carbuncle.Nynja said: »
Remember when back in the day people would treat their XI playstyle with Fight Club rules? Even on third party sites like this one?

Now people (not everyone, but a large chunk of people have gotten really comfortable in their belief that SE no longer cares about XI) are live discussing their tools in LS chat in game...and then they wonder why they get banned.

Back in the day I remember reading amusing code names like Atma of the Blue Crab
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-05-05 15:26:06
Link | Citer | R

Foxfire said: »
resetting is luck, you could encounter a set of mobs that dispel things, or mobs that have a lot of outgoing damage/full dispels (puks/bigbirds disregard i'm wrong here in first case, scorpions/ameretats/manticore second, dahaks second/third case).

If the monster full dispels, you can skip them. Most of what you mentioned aren't particularly dangerous if you handle them properly. WS them like you would a Wave 2/3 Ninja to prevent the bad luck.

Reset is luck, but by no means required to hit 9k. It just comes down to having good solid players in the end to hit that high. Kylos made it seem like hitting 9k was a "ton of luck". I don't believe so.
 Hades.Dade
Serveur: Hades
user: Dade
By Hades.Dade 2021-05-05 16:15:56
Link | Citer | R

anything under 7k more likely to have bad strategy/gear/play/setup than anything rng based. Segment farming values optimization more than most ***in ffxi.
 Fenrir.Richybear
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2021-05-05 16:39:48
Link | Citer | R

Anything under 15k segments per kill is scrub-tier. Stick to your Dankey Kang or TurboGrafx games, plebs
 Hades.Dade
By Hades.Dade 2021-05-05 16:48:32
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Richybear said: »
Anything under 15k segments per kill is scrub-tier. Stick to your Dankey Kang or TurboGrafx games, plebs

If you think 7k is a flex lol.

yeah bro the diff between 3k and 9k is you saw dahaks on floor 2.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-05-05 16:49:02
Link | Citer | R

Hades.Dade said: »
anything under 7k more likely to have bad strategy/gear/play/setup than anything rng based. Segment farming values optimization more than most ***in ffxi.

Way to really set the bar at a level where the vast majority of people reading this thread are going to feel like failures.

My group started out before threads were up, before Atonement 3, with the hopes of getting enough segments for one NM. 3,000. We quickly discovered this was not only doable, but honestly exceedingly easy. So we kept pushing.

Next marker was 4,500. This would mean 3 NMs for 2 runs, and felt like a good goal. The more information was shared about how resistances worked in Odyssey, combined with refining our concepts, this also fell quickly.

So the obvious next point was 6,000. Again, always related to the number of Sheol:Gaol runs that would be earned per Moglophone I. This one took more planning. Deciding which NMs were best to plan on, and where. What families were just slowing us down more than they were worth. All the details we talk about ad nauseum here. But important work, of course, and work needed for each group to really maximize their returns.

And its that 6k mark I suggest to all groups as their end goal, with anything above that being a very nice bonus. Yes, we see runs in the 7k-7.5k range frequently, and we're never content (but very frequently happy) to call a run "good enough". That's the real secret to push one's OWN limits in this content, not what others say is the result of "bad gear/play/setup".

One needs essentially an ideal setup, great gear, and 6 people who work well together and all understand the zone the way a run leader would to truly maximize returns beyond 6k/run. But to say that runs under 7k are gimp or were a mistake before they began isn't even elitist- its by design exclusionary.

I will completely agree that this content rewards optimization more than nearly anything prior(maybe old school Neo-Nyzul). But it also rewards everyone in the group having cohesion and acting like a leader in terms of not simply following along, but truly knowing the content. That hasn't lost its value.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-05-05 16:55:05
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Thorny said: »
NA players don't organize reporting groups. We aren't even allowed to name and shame on any of the major NA forums. It's correct that it's a small section of JP, but it's still primarily JP that are going on these reporting initiatives.

It doesn't really matter, if you don't cheat, and you don't advertise that you cheat, you won't get banned. Same standpoint I've always had, it's not fair to blame the person or software that detected you cheating. It's still your choice to cheat.

I would certainly agree that all player bases around the world in the game have factions that are extremely pro-vanilla to a point where complaining and bitching about it is par for the course. I'd say the biggest difference I see is the threshold of where a typical NA player reports vs a JP player assuming both are anti-addon/etc.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-05-05 16:56:42
Link | Citer | R

You get better the more you do it as a group. So starting out at 3000-4500 is fine, because at some point you're going to notice your averages are like 6500 after running then a few dozen times. You just get a feel for the floors and know what you can invest time on and what you won't.

If you join nothing but random pug, you will see a lot of bad groups and a handful of "wow that was kinda decent" runs here and there. There's really no point to do this in pug all the time unless you need to burn a tag
[+]
 Asura.Dakrone
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Dakrone 2021-05-05 16:58:59
Link | Citer | R

Dades, you gotta spill the beans on the NO-WHM and take BRD heals for seg farm strat. Otherwise people think you're flexing!
 Hades.Dade
By Hades.Dade 2021-05-05 17:03:16
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
And its that 6k mark I suggest to all groups as their end goal, with anything above that being a very nice bonus. Yes, we see runs in the 7k-7.5k range frequently, and we're never content (but very frequently happy) to call a run "good enough". That's the real secret to push one's OWN limits in this content, not what others say is the result of "bad gear/play/setup".

I find it annoying players jump to variance right away. bad gear/play/setup isnt moral failure, its things to work on. ***my group brought an lolmnk for the first month because we are dumb.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-05-05 17:06:53
Link | Citer | R

I find it annoying players jump to variance right away. bad gear/play/setup isnt moral failure, its things to work on. ***my group brought an lolmnk for the first month because we are dumb.

Not disagreeing with you. But should a group working on both gearing up and wanting to do this content think the door is completely closed until they're all pre-Odyssey BiS and then they're allowed into the hallowed halls of....Walk of Echoes? Nah man. A smartly geared group of players with solid tactics can make incredible progress and have success in Odyssey. So let people experience that variance and grow.

Also, you might not have meant to imply a "moral failure", but when you purposely cluster lack of gear with "bad play" and "bad tactics", its hard to not imply an intended superiority- the ol' "git gud".
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-05-05 17:40:55
Link | Citer | R

Should keep in mind that how many segments/run you hit is only relative to how many boss runs you plan on doing.

Getting 7k+ segments/run only matters if you have the opportunity to spend all of it, so you've made better use of your runs. If you're an average joe getting under 7k, maybe even 4500/run, but only do a few bosses (for clears) here and there, then it doesn't really matter because you don't do enough bosses to require that level of run optimization. Or if you're in an elite group getting 10k, but have so much more than your SP can spend, it doesn't matter much either because you can never spend your total segment count at the pace you run bosses.

So while optimization is important in segment farming, it's not totally something to get pressed over. Its relative.
By Draylo 2021-05-05 17:44:32
Link | Citer | R

Also the fact that this will be the content for a while, so why rush through it.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-05-05 17:59:13
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Should keep in mind that how many segments/run you hit is only relative to how many boss runs you plan on doing.

Definitely liked your statement, as its very true. However, curious to know if your group has had the pain of blowing 60k segments in 2 nights yet. ;)
By Garretts 2021-05-05 18:05:38
Link | Citer | R

I can't wait to turn in a full augmented piece of the tier 3 boss armors to make emperyean +2, and then a piece of bumba Armour for the +3

"CONTENT!"
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2021-05-05 19:15:19
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »

Definitely liked your statement, as its very true. However, curious to know if your group has had the pain of blowing 60k segments in 2 nights yet. ;)

I have burned through over 30k in a night easily, but with Asura lines, I don't bother doing dozens of runs a night. You start losing people to attrition after a handful of fights.

I have been on the back end of burning through all of my segments while everyone else had segments for Bumba and other bosses, which sucked. Being locked out like that is frustrating. But then I just took a week off of bosses and was right back to doing runs throughout the week as normal. It's not as big of a setback as people think. You can build back up 40k+ within a few days. You'll never really get left behind because once people cap their mains, they will just drag their mules into fights.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-05-05 19:19:57
Link | Citer | R

didn't think about lines on the larger servers.

Small-town privilege I guess :)
[+]
 Cerberus.Nolatari
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Nolatari 2021-05-06 12:13:04
Link | Citer | R

So curious as to what the accuracy requirements are without food, or buffs. Working on the offhand TP sword and want to see where I will stand for odyssey
 Asura.Aburaage
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Aburaage 2021-05-06 15:05:57
Link | Citer | R

The acc requirement is not very high, 1150-1200 would cover you for most mobs in there. As BRD, with just HM, no madrigal, I still have pretty high accuracy % using Naegling/Cento, I'd imagine RDM or BLU would have even easier time.