Ambuscade Great Axe Beginner's Build
 Asura.Datsik
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: datsik
By Asura.Datsik 2021-01-28 10:48:06
Link | Citer | R

YouTube Video Placeholder

Dark knight beginner's guide finally out!
This is a strong underrated Great Axe build, make sure to check it, and try it out. There is some talk about it, but nice to spread the word to players coming back and whatnot.

Enjoy!
Peaceeee
/Riki/Datsik
[+]
 Asura.Lunafreya
user: Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2021-01-28 11:39:56
Link | Citer | R

Nice! My dude Mims will be happy to see this getting more attention.

Also, a Datsik video thread. Queue the drama.
[+]
 Asura.Mims
user: Ginza
By Asura.Mims 2021-01-28 12:39:25
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Lunafreya said: »

Good stuff, you've been covering things I've been saying for a long time in this guide. I'll admit I'm a little miffed at not being mentioned though.
And yes, while this is a Datsik video, I think its well thought out and well presented as an introduction for new players, in a way that is a lot more meaningful than "Here I am soloing some easy content" that his other videos have gotten crap for.

Some minor nitpicks:

You mentioned using drain 1 and 2 to restore some HP while keeping the drain3 HP pool; drain1 is good for this, but drain2 is not. Drain2 will overwrite your existing HP boost. Since Drks want to burn DS/NV on Drain3, overwriting a supercharged drain3 HP boost with a dinky non-JA Drain2 is bad. Do not do it unless something goes wrong and you specifically need to overwrite drain3 with drain2.

As for a starting Drk's weapons:
lolNaegling, lolNandaka
I would personally reccomend starting with a Lycurgos to build good habits, get any old scythe (Kaja is fine) and a point into entropy, and then get Raetic Algol or Raetic Algol +1 as a first great sword when the player gets 550 JP and can equip it. Burning your MP down with Raetic and then swapping to scythe for Entropy to refill MP, and then going back to Raetic for more Torcleaver or Reso spam is a ton of fun. Also having to get 550 JP before starting that forces the player to work on their fundamentals first.
Really though, that is minor stuff considering this is a Lycurgos focused guide.

I would like to see more mention of the attack bonus on Steel Cyclone, as that matters in a big way for new Dark Knights. You didn't seem to touch on this at all. New players are going to find themselves in uncapped attack situations a lot more than experienced players. Having access to both Armor Break and a 50% attack bonus in Steel Cyclone is a big deal. Don't just tell players to use Steel Cyclone, tell them why they should use Steel Cyclone.
[+]
 Asura.Datsik
user: datsik
By Asura.Datsik 2021-01-28 13:13:46
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Mims said: »
Asura.Lunafreya said: »

Good stuff, you've been covering things I've been saying for a long time in this guide. I'll admit I'm a little miffed at not being mentioned though.
And yes, while this is a Datsik video, I think its well thought out and well presented as an introduction for new players, in a way that is a lot more meaningful than "Here I am soloing some easy content" that his other videos have gotten crap for.

Some minor nitpicks:

You mentioned using drain 1 and 2 to restore some HP while keeping the drain3 HP pool; drain1 is good for this, but drain2 is not. Drain2 will overwrite your existing HP boost. Since Drks want to burn DS/NV on Drain3, overwriting a supercharged drain3 HP boost with a dinky non-JA Drain2 is bad. Do not do it unless something goes wrong and you specifically need to overwrite drain3 with drain2.

As for a starting Drk's weapons:
lolNaegling, lolNandaka
I would personally reccomend starting with a Lycurgos to build good habits, get any old scythe (Kaja is fine) and a point into entropy, and then get Raetic Algol or Raetic Algol +1 as a first great sword when the player gets 550 JP and can equip it. Burning your MP down with Raetic and then swapping to scythe for Entropy to refill MP, and then going back to Raetic for more Torcleaver or Reso spam is a ton of fun. Also having to get 550 JP before starting that forces the player to work on their fundamentals first.
Really though, that is minor stuff considering this is a Lycurgos focused guide.

I would like to see more mention of the attack bonus on Steel Cyclone, as that matters in a big way for new Dark Knights. You didn't seem to touch on this at all. New players are going to find themselves in uncapped attack situations a lot more than experienced players. Having access to both Armor Break and a 50% attack bonus in Steel Cyclone is a big deal. Don't just tell players to use Steel Cyclone, tell them why they should use Steel Cyclone.
Yeah indeed lolnaegling etc :p Thx for the pointers. And yes drain 1-2 was more meant to be the o-***, everything is dispelled and going to hell moment. But I never mentioned it cuz I was ranting and forgot lol
All the previous videos during the weeks was a minor build up while I was working on this one