users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Beast Master » Current state of BST: August 2020 Update
Current state of BST: August 2020 Update
First Page 2 3 4 5
By Ermah 2020-08-11 16:00:24
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Rwolf said: »
Ermah said: »
IF you take melee weapons away from warrior they are a bad DD.
Complete woosh of what the comparison was actually referring to. But this is entering bad meme and bait territory now lol.

If you're actually making that comparison then you are saying Dolichenus and slug are BSTs only decent weapons. Your attempts at comparison make no sense to what was being discussed. You just interjected your own feelings and agenda into it.

In your mind you see me saying "If you take away Dolichenus and Slug, BST is a bad DD" and feel the need to argue about it.

In actuality I'm saying "Look at how most of BSTs power is regulated to a single axe and unique party attribute is regulated to a single pet. SE should spread that out."

Except it's not.... at all. Primal rend does great damage, Mistral axe can do great damage as well.

Hippo was literally used by like three people this week alone in Dynamis Wave 1 and 2.

Slime can be used to hold many enemies.

Cricket can clear Omen monsters super easily.

Bredo can apply MDB and magic burst for huge damage.

Sheep is used pre-pull for massive attack boost in many fights and is a good source of damage if you choose.

Pig is used in tons of fights.

It's like you have no idea what you're talking about and are just complaining BST isnt a copy-pasta dd.
[+]
By SimonSes 2020-08-11 16:07:51
Link | Citer | R

Spaitin said: »
Yeah... kinda dumb that people even suggest it. The pet is capable of holding mobs, but incapable at generating enough hate to the pet to make it work.

I dont think this one is dumb tbh. Holding many mobs even without much aoe hate can still be very useful for situations where mobs link, like in dynamis. You can aggro and hold mobs on pet untill they are grouped for sleep or you can just take mobs one by one. Its one of the biggest pros of PUP after all. RUN or PLD can probably do it too, maybe even better, but pet doesnt need much support to do it and also master can still do dps when pet is holding stuff.
By Spaitin 2020-08-11 16:10:01
Link | Citer | R

It's like you have no idea what you're talking about and are just complaining BST isnt a copy-pasta dd.
Pot meet kettle. The person who didnt know bst debuffs dont stack with DD debuffs is accusing people of not knowing what they are talking about.
[+]
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
Serveur: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2020-08-11 16:18:42
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Nyaarun said: »
They have come out and said they dont want bst to be a support role job.

Doesnt matter what they say, that will be what type of roll it will fill. It wont fill a pure support role, but it will fill in as a mid-high DD mid-high utility hybrid.

Or as the other person put it, a damage support hybrid.

Yep this for instance I will use my dynamis group as an example. This is one spot we discuss using bst as a "mid-high utility hybrid". Our geo (tankpt) already melees. He loves it. He also plays BST. He will swap to BST in the tank party.

Another note about our setup. BST can take over almost any of those roles (rng/cor/brd/geo/whm) and we will still full clear the content. (Note by whm.. I mean we dont need 3)

current setup:

rng cor cor brd geo whm
rng cor cor brd geo whm
pld run thf rdm geo whm
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
Serveur: Bismarck
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-08-11 16:19:00
Link | Citer | R

Most of bsts power isnt in a single axe though. Other axes and WSs are perfectly usable and fine, and not so far behind that youll hate yourself using them.

Do i think bst needs gear support for mythic and empy WS? Yes. Are the WSs bad/unusable? No. Is aymur/farsha unusable garbage? No.

Does the relic need help? Yes, but again, almost every single relic needs help, and hopefully this new "mini expansion" leads to relic weapon support.
 Bismarck.Rwolf
user: Rwolf
By Bismarck.Rwolf 2020-08-11 16:30:25
Link | Citer | R

I'm hopping out of the which job is better competition lol.

Just about everything I'd like to see fixed in the immediate sense is quality of life and about helping the job feel better to play.

Using PUP as an example mechanically only, it works as a tandem pet/player combo way more than BST. They need to make adjustments as they have for PUP.

• Has comfortable distance on commands but still melees just fine when applicable.

• Better control of pet survivability without sacrificing DPS.
    - Repair & Maintenance remove all types of effects, not just Silence, Weight, Slow, Paralysis, Poison, and Blind only.
    - PUP oils give double the Regen.
    - Ability to use defense and auto-regen attachments.

• Can immediately resummon in weakened state.

• Can swap HP, TP or Enmity values.

• Maneuvers have no JA delay to interrupt TP gain, give a ring's worth of attribute and can last up to 5 mins over time.

• Master gets Job Point categories.

This isn't about is PUP better or BST. But the design of the job is way more comfortable to play as a hybrid melee. It flows well at the core mechanics to say yeah this master and pet works together.
[+]
 Asura.Sirris
Serveur: Asura
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2020-08-11 16:31:34
Link | Citer | R

Afania said: »
Asura.Sirris said: »
Crossbones said: »
Yeah so I'm just gonna reiterate what I and others have said before. All BST really has is the slug, and when you don't need the attack or defense down you don't have ***, you're a gimp WAR with a couple other tricks. What slot is BST supposed to fill in a 6 man PT? Do they replace a COR or BRD? Nope, capped haste + acc and SAM roll too much to give up. Maybe a GEO? If you don't need anything other than frailty/fury maybe. Would they replace a DPS job? Well if you already have GEO COR and BRD you probably won't need anything BST brings to the table so you might as well grab a job that either does more DMG or a RDM or something else.

I agree with this but I'd point out that this logic is kind of a slippery slope that catches a lot of other jobs in the same net lol. Blue mage can dps, debuff, and CC all at once but it doesn't do any of those things better than other jobs in a standard party setup where haste is capped. Dancer can dps, debuff, and heal but it doesn't do any of those things better than other jobs unless you need its unique debuffs. The list of jobs that are best at important roles leaves out a lot of jobs. But we still slot those jobs in because you don't need to be perfectly optimized all the time to do content.

If BST doesn't have slug and kaja axe, I'd think that BLU and DNC are both more useful as a DD than BST unless you need physical cleave, lol.

MG from BLU for the entire pt is always useful for everyone else, nevermind beastly DPS from tizona, and DNC can setup multistep SC on adds.

Without slug and kaja axe, I can't think of unique strategy outside of cleaving on BST, but maybe someone else can come up with a better idea than me.

Mighty Guard is ok for the defensive benefits, but for party play you are capping haste elsewhere, same for dancer and Haste Samba (for some jobs). BLU dps with Tizona is certainly better than beastmaster but not as good as some other dps, same for dancer. DNC can multi-step but so can other dps.

My broader point is that if you don't need a particular benefit that's unique to a job for a strat, then if you're min/maxing you'll bring a higher dps job instead. If you don't need Treasure Hunter, you'll bring a samurai instead of a thief. If you don't need extra defense down to cap attack, you'll bring a monk instead of a dancer or beastmaster. This isn't an issue that is unique to BST. What IS unique to BST is that some stuff simply doesn't work right mechanically like pet commands and variable distance, or JAs like Charm which was a core part of the job before has just been left on an island to rot.

We're getting off into the weeds here anyway. S-E still needs to do some work on beastmaster to address aspects of the job. I don't agree with people saying that "everything is fine, actually". We can be useful sometimes, or even be slotted in as a DD when you don't need the unique benefits provided by slug, but there are still design issues with BST. Even if you flat-out boosted BST melee dps to that top tier party play would be like a dragoon with a pet that's a stat stick, only using an axe instead of a lance, and with a better enmity dump. And that still would be a failure. A bunch of pets, but only one or two for parties, pet-focused JAs that are useless for just beating things up, and for ***'s sake I can't even stand on one side of a mob while my pet stands on the other!
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-08-11 16:47:17
Link | Citer | R

JAs like Charm which was a core part of the job before has just been left on an island to rot.

In all fairness, charm is kinda making a decent resurgence as an option in content like Odyssey. Though i think they kinda scrapped charm for general use because jug pets are just that much more interesting than being able to charm a random mob player wise.

Edit: Odyssey, not omen. Spent way too much time in 100+ degree temp all day.
[+]
 Bismarck.Rwolf
By Bismarck.Rwolf 2020-08-11 16:54:51
Link | Citer | R

Ermah actually saying something worth discussing for once instead of just short insults. (claps)

Except it's not.... at all. Primal rend does great damage, Mistral axe can do great damage as well.
I would love to see pics on a mob that's not hugely favorable to Primal's damage versus your Decimation damage with Dolichenus. If in general Savage can compete with Mistral even though Axes have higher dmg and delay then yes in my opinion it can be adjusted.

Hippo was literally used by like three people this week alone in Dynamis Wave 1 and 2.
I care about this why? I said you can't use BST in Dynamis groups when? lol You're sticking words in my mouth and arguing with yourself. I'm going to have to start charging you for this cathartic therapy you seem to be having about BST usefuless.

Slime can be used to hold many enemies.
Uhhh... this was doable before slime... Have you never used Tulfaire aka Aegisbird? And again when did I say it couldn't?

Cricket can clear Omen monsters super easily.
So can BLU, so can RDM Aeolian Edge. So can SMN Apogee Thunderspark, etc etc. 1. Who cares? 2. When did I say cricket wasn't useful?

Bredo can apply MDB and magic burst for huge damage.
They definitely can support others and water MB. When did I say they couldn't?

Blah blah sheep blah blah raaz I'm tired of quoting the same point of what universe on you in.

I'm not even going to argue something I didn't say lol. You need a cookie or a hug or something.
 Leviathan.Stamos
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2020-08-11 17:00:01
Link | Citer | R

I'm hopping out of the which job is better competition lol.

Just about everything I'd like to see fixed in the immediate sense is quality of life and about helping the job feel better to play.

Using PUP as an example mechanically only, it works as a tandem pet/player combo way more than BST. They need to make adjustments as they have for PUP.

• Has comfortable distance on commands but still melees just fine when applicable.

• Better control of pet survivability without sacrificing DPS.
    - Repair & Maintenance remove all types of effects, not just Silence, Weight, Slow, Paralysis, Poison, and Blind only.
    - PUP oils give double the Regen.
    - Ability to use defense and auto-regen attachments.

• Can immediately resummon in weakened state.

• Can swap HP, TP or Enmity values.

• Maneuvers have no JA delay to interrupt TP gain, give a ring's worth of attribute and can last up to 5 mins over time.

• Master gets Job Point categories.

This isn't about is PUP better or BST. But the design of the job is way more comfortable to play as a hybrid melee. It flows well at the core mechanics to say yeah this master and pet works together.

If they could mix BST and PUP mechanically together both would be improved greatly. The fact PUP is the only pet job where the pet is required to gain tp to weaponskill and you cannot comfortably swap to a pet weaponskill set without huge sacrifices sucks pretty bad(you cannot really choose what weaponskill it does 100%). Not to mention how the STP/Speedloader attachments work with other players weaponskilling makes it even worse. Many other things wrong with the Auto lol
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-08-11 17:04:43
Link | Citer | R

Heaven forbid you have a scholar in a party with a pup tank. Just /mute the scholar at the start. Save yourself the headache.
 Asura.Epigram
user: jlisic
By Asura.Epigram 2020-08-11 17:27:08
Link | Citer | R

Just to add my $0.02 (adjusted for inflation):

Having Killer Instinct tied to the pet was a pretty stupid idea simply due to pet timers. It would be great if they (1) removed the KI pet requirement (2) removed the NM penalty for circles and killer effects.

Yes, this would make DRKs better at omen bosses, but I don't see that as the end of the world. It would also help out PLDs a bit more for undead bosses like Vinipata.
 Bismarck.Rwolf
By Bismarck.Rwolf 2020-08-11 17:28:40
Link | Citer | R

They should revisit BST's relic sets. Compared to PUP and SMN, there's not much pet stuff on them. Charm, haste, pdt, evasion and a sprinkle of double attack and store tp. With zero bonuses to acc/atk/macc/mab like SMN and PUP have. :/
[+]
 Bismarck.Rwolf
By Bismarck.Rwolf 2020-08-11 17:38:03
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Stamos said: »
If they could mix BST and PUP mechanically together both would be be improved greatly. The fact PUP is the only pet job where the pet is required to gain tp to weaponskill and you cannot comfortably swap to a pet weaponskill set without huge sacrifices sucks pretty bad(you cannot really choose what weaponskill it does 100%). Not to mention how the STP/Speedloader attachments work with other players weaponskilling makes it even worse. Many other things wrong with the Auto lol

I agree. They each would benefit greatly from each others mechanical strengths.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-08-11 17:55:46
Link | Citer | R

I think you can already get bst pet to do roughly similar damage to smn pet, minus one hour zergs. Especially with actual buff support for said pet. Leads beast to have similar issues to smn; Yeah, your pet can do good damage, but the cost to benefit is not skewed in its favor if youre just looking at a pure damage standpoint.

Smn gets around this with general safety. If the pet dies, who cares. Bst can do similar damage, but needs to be on the mob as well. And if the bst is on the mob.... youre not getting pet buffs, as the master has better damage anyway.

Id say this is more an issue with pet jobs as a general rule than bst specifically. I still would like to flat out remove pet specific buffs and let master buffs transfer to the pet. Drg gets this for their wyvern, but their wyvern is literal trash and thats never been updated.
By Spaitin 2020-08-11 19:01:41
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Nyaarun said: »
I still would like to flat out remove pet specific buffs and let master buffs transfer to the pet
i mean... this is basically what everyone has been saying...
ANd that would be a MASSIVE buff to bst. So i guess you agree that bst needs a major improvement?

I'm not even going to argue something I didn't say lol. You need a cookie or a hug or something
You gotta be careful with that one. They have no idea what they want. They think bst is fine and just because other jobs can do everything bst does but better is no reason to think bst is bad. NEVER COMPARE JOBS. They probably solo's virava and think that is a big deal or something.

Yeah primal is great... sometimes, unless you compare it to just spamming decimation on it.

Fenrir.Kaldaek said: »
There is nothing in this game that cannot be won with a BST taking up 1/6 slots in the content
there isnt much 6 man content that wouldnt be greatly improved by swapping out that bst for something else. That is the issue.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-08-11 19:14:09
Link | Citer | R

i mean... this is basically what everyone has been saying...
ANd that would be a MASSIVE buff to bst. So i guess you agree that bst needs a major improvement?

No, it hasnt been what anyone was saying.

No, this wouldnt be a buff, as it wouldnt be the only change. It would be a massive undertaking and reworking of numerous jobs, both pet jobs and non pet jobs, and general underlying systems. In short, it will pretty much never happen, and if it were to, would be accompanied by nerfs to pet jobs in general to allow for the added versatility.

Saying "This change would make group setups easier and more streamlined" is not the same as saying "this is necessary because the job is bad"
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-08-11 19:20:43
Link | Citer | R

Yeah primal is great... sometimes, unless you compare it to just spamming decimation on it.

One is magic based... one is physical based....

Both have different skillchain properties

Both have very different uses

Why are you comparing the two? You wouldnt just be spamming primal/cloud just to spam them. Entirely different setup, entirely different use, entirely different purpose.

Its like comparing sanguine to savage, or leaden/trueflight to last stand/coronach
By Afania 2020-08-11 19:53:06
Link | Citer | R

Mighty Guard is ok for the defensive benefits, but for party play you are capping haste elsewhere,

MG is 15 haste, HM is 16, haste 1 is 15. So that's capped haste with 1 March. Without MG you need haste 2 or another song to cap.

I think most other job has additional benefit useful enough to justify the spot. The additional benefit of BST is pretty much just strong fusion WS and def down. Maybe cleaving not you work really hard to make it work.
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
Serveur: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2020-08-11 20:07:49
Link | Citer | R

Do these arguments weigh out differently based on the content?

I feel that ddyna gains a big favor with BST. We need to make sure we justify our opinions in which the environment we experience them.
 Siren.Quagmire
Serveur: Siren
user: Quagmire
By Siren.Quagmire 2020-08-23 00:19:38
Link | Citer | R

My age is catching up to me. Didnt charm bind NMs at one point? Was just trying to think if other jobs Ja's and the roles they play in end game content.
Charm <t> ...
Party gets a chuckle.
Gauge <t> ...
Someone asks, "how big?"
Tame <t>
Jesus your jas are useless. :/
By Felgarr 2020-08-23 05:15:37
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Quagmire said: »
My age is catching up to me. Didnt charm bind NMs at one point? Was just trying to think if other jobs Ja's and the roles they play in end game content.
Charm <t> ...
Party gets a chuckle.
Gauge <t> ...
Someone asks, "how big?"
Tame <t>
Jesus your jas are useless. :/

yup, 100% true. One random update a few years ago, SE just decided to make Tame unusable if you already have a jug pet or charmed pet. So, I know firsthand what you're describing with those JAs and it was awesome....but NOT ANYMORE. :(
By Crossbones 2020-08-23 09:49:08
Link | Citer | R

I would definitely bring a bst to wave 3 dyna if I could put them in the tank pt, mainly if for some reason you were doing it melee style. Something like tank tank healer smn bst geo maybe. Mainly due to geo debuffs being heavily nerfed. Although, I stopped focusing on using debuffs for the most part and instead bog a buff bubble at a camp and just use that camp til bog wears, don't seem to have a hard time capping stats this way with either melee or magic method. Still, I find having at least one bst can be beneficial (and the hp down is a lot of dmg too), I'd probably even take them over a second geo, but I wouldn't take them over a smn and I wouldn't put them in the main dps party unless for some reason they just happened to be the most qualified member for that slot at the time.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2020-08-23 21:52:42
Link | Citer | R

Bst has an identity crisis.

Some arguments here insist it become a dd like every other dd out there.

Some want the identity it used to have to come back.

I sympathize more with the latter.

I didn't play WoW, but I heard one of the major things that brought it down lower was making all the jobs so homogeneous.

I worry that is what has been happening to Beastmaster over the years. that is my main complaint. SE keeps having trouble balancing it and keeps taking away its identity without discovering its identity.

I think the same thing is happening now. As outcast as Beastmaster was early in the game (not party friendly at all) its niche of charming pets was VERY fun and very defining of its identity as a job.

It grew into a stable role in pet-centered styles with summoner, and then adding puppetmaster, corsair and geomancer to that approach.

Adding abilities to make it more valuable to a party or alliance is good. However, as has been argued over and over here, other jobs are almost always more valuable in support roles or damage dealing roles.

I DO very much like the recent updates of tandem strike and tandem blow, and the new pets that were added. However, I agree it does not 'FIX' the job. because the thing that needs 'FIXING' is 'What is its identity?' I think this problem exists because SE keeps taking its identity away, instead of fulfilling it.

It sounds like SE is answering in a lazy way: "Its a front-line, damage dealer".

Well there are tons of those, and bst doesn't currently bring much to that identity. Its watered-down compared to what it was. Its making it more homogenized. I think the Killer Instinct mechanic is actually a wonderful mechanic. (BST should totally have been on the Founder's set!!) Killer Instinct is unfortunately subdued in alot of end game content. Most end-game does not include viable targets.... its often demons, arcana, undead, beastment or uncategorized. very similiar to how charm was nerfed. (in fact there is at least one content where mobs match an ecosystem (aquan, avian, beast, etc) but are NOT actually included. meaning killer effects do NOT work at all. Also killer effects have been stupidly nerfed on alot of nm's. We really should be able to put all the gear/food/etc into maxing Killer effects and let the NM be intimidated 50% of the time.

I think that it is a poor direction to make it just another dd.

I don't really think bst should swap pets rapidly like summoner in order to add more buffs. Bst has a huge number of pets in the arsenal with various traits and abilities. However, the appropriate trade-off is that you are only using 1 pet at a time with its collection of the powerful traits and abilities.

Its hard to turn down more damage, but I worry that its just a stagnant direction making bst a borind dd. At the same time, the argument about dolichenus 120% damage boost is spot on.. that it means the ws itself is not designed right. So, some of the normal power creep that has hit other jobs is appropriate to hit bst also.
[+]
 Asura.Icilies
Guildwork Premium
user: icilies
By Asura.Icilies 2020-08-23 22:06:43
Link | Citer | R

Buff Fencer
Buff Axe WS's for BST (CS, PR, MA)
Remove Call Beast Timer (Reduce at minimum)

Simple Post. Sums up what the jobs next buffs should potentially be.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2020-08-23 22:24:26
Link | Citer | R

oh yeah,

hasn't anyone been seriously trying out bst/drg? I find it rather enjoyable for fencer build.
the wsd damage is a nice bonus, and fencer is also quite noticeable.

I suppose we really need to parse some comparisons though.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-08-23 22:38:53
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk said: »
I don't really think bst should swap pets rapidly like summoner in order to add more buffs. Bst has a huge number of pets in the arsenal with various traits and abilities. However, the appropriate trade-off is that you are only using 1 pet at a time with its collection of the powerful traits and abilities.

As a new BST (just started getting semi-serious in the past month), the most striking negative aspect to me as a total newcomer is the huge inventory strain of jugs. I kinda dig the aspect that Xilkk mentions, having a large arsenal of pets with useful niches. I honestly didn't realize how much interesting stuff you could do with pets (debuffs, certain types of damage, buffs, etc.), and I think a lot of non-BSTs are likely in the same boat - though once I got the hang of it, the most enjoyable part of the job is employing the right pet for the particular task. But holy crap, I have to have a mule hold all the damn jugs since there are so many niche uses.

They really, really, really need to make the jugs learnable like spells. Maybe one universal jug to call any learned pets. And make pet food stack to 99.
[+]
 Bismarck.Rwolf
By Bismarck.Rwolf 2020-08-23 23:09:27
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
They really, really, really need to make the jugs learnable like spells. Maybe one universal jug to call any learned pets. And make pet food stack to 99.

Truth. It's getting pretty ridiculous at this point. They've recognized this is an issue for all consumable jobs but BST. I don't get it. Beast Affinity needs to go. Why do we need pets that vary in level unless we use this? Why do we need NQ/HQ jugs any more? It was a weird system to begin with that I guess they wanted to emulate charming wild mobs. It's time to change for sure.

I'd be fine with BST not having a low cooldown timer if it was easier to maintain the pet. Bestial Loyalty until lately has been the use on HQ pet and Call Beast more of the oh s*** button. They talk about 50/50 but seriously taking a pet to any mob that remotely has annoying debuffs or quick spamming AoE, that pet is a brick or toast. Reward only removes a handful of stuff with armor and that's it.

We have no protection from Doom, Defense/Magic Defense Down, HP Down, Impact, etc. A minor gripe given current content but it also bothers me our jug pets despawn if you zone but DRG, SMN, and PUP pets will "save" and respawn.