August BST Update

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Beast Master » August BST Update
August BST Update
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
By SimonSes 2020-08-03 10:27:55
Link | Citer | R

I have 3 chars. One has idris geo for a year now. Havent used it once XD I always go on this char as COR. I think GEO is extremely useful for magic damage, but for physical oriented setup its overrated, especially for lowman. I might be wrong and just dont know how to exploit GEO to the fullest to beat usefulness of other support tho.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-08-03 10:51:25
Link | Citer | R

Honestly, at this point, rdm is probably the single strongest support in the game, with its versatility and support for both phys and magic. Geos been dethroned for a while now, and the advantages geo brings can largely be filled in with other jobs paired with the rdm, such as bst.

Only real problem is finding a good rdm... Probably the highest skillcap job in the game, and cant be effectively botted.
By Spaitin 2020-08-03 11:14:52
Link | Citer | R

SimonSes said: »
acc, macc and subtle blow is kinfa hilarious like 25%, +100 and +50sbII
It would be great for the master. But it still isnt enough for the pet. That is what is so crazy. It would basically keep the pet in the same place. Pet will need 1700 acc for the hard content.

I might be wrong and just dont know how to exploit GEO to the fullest to beat usefulness of other support tho.
That is probably it.
Bismarck.Nyaarun said: »
Geos been dethroned for a while now, and the advantages geo brings can largely be filled in with other jobs paired with the rdm, such as bst.
lol no, you probably dont know about dematerialize / blaze / ecliptic. GEO can do what ooze does except 50%+ better. It also stacks will ALL the other forms. most DD can do a large portion of what bst does. People dont seem to get that. war can do 25% to attack/def and it lasts up to 9 minutes. All the other can do 25% defense down. iGEO by itself brings 57% defense down... (dia II and frail, not including blaze/attrition). Wilt is stronger than ooze as well. You use a buffing JA and the gap becomes wider. Geo can cap attack on most content by itself, bst cant. even with bsts dps, since it cant cap attack, geo will improve party DPS MUCH more than bst. Maybe you are one of those people who thinks you HAVE to fury/frail and chaos or something? Even with the geo nerf, geo still brings more defense and attack than bst.

buy you do seem to think drk and bst are slightly different in DPS.

Probably the highest skillcap job in the game, and cant be effectively botted.
Dont underestimate the botters. RDM can deff be botted. It commonly is.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-08-03 13:21:36
Link | Citer | R

Spaitin said: »
acc, macc and subtle blow is kinfa hilarious like 25%, +100 and +50sbII
It would be great for the master. But it still isnt enough for the pet. That is what is so crazy. It would basically keep the pet in the same place. Pet will need 1700 acc for the hard content.

I might be wrong and just dont know how to exploit GEO to the fullest to beat usefulness of other support tho.
That is probably it.
Geos been dethroned for a while now, and the advantages geo brings can largely be filled in with other jobs paired with the rdm, such as bst.
lol no, you probably dont know about dematerialize / blaze / ecliptic. GEO can do what ooze does except 50%+ better. It also stacks will ALL the other forms. most DD can do a large portion of what bst does. People dont seem to get that. war can do 25% to attack/def and it lasts up to 9 minutes. All the other can do 25% defense down. iGEO by itself brings 57% defense down... (dia II and frail, not including blaze/attrition). Wilt is stronger than ooze as well. You use a buffing JA and the gap becomes wider. Geo can cap attack on most content by itself, bst cant. even with bsts dps, since it cant cap attack, geo will improve party DPS MUCH more than bst. Maybe you are one of those people who thinks you HAVE to fury/frail and chaos or something? Even with the geo nerf, geo still brings more defense and attack than bst.

buy you do seem to think drk and bst are slightly different in DPS.

Probably the highest skillcap job in the game, and cant be effectively botted.
Dont underestimate the botters. RDM can deff be botted. It commonly is.

Yes, i know geo is a one trick pony. But rdm can give def down and eva down... As well as still use all its other debuffs. Yes, geos is stronger. But not by a substantial amount that isnt closed by adding another job anyway that people enjoy. Hell, most DDs have some kind of def down. You dont need a geo to cap att/acc. Then you also have the myriad of other debuffs rdm has. And the damage rdm can contribute. And the fact that rdm can literally solo kite all the content in the game after a wipe to recover if need be, as long as you didnt pull 3 non sleep statues in dyna or something. Matters more for things like woc or kirin if someone does something wrong (like a new tank not able to flash kirin instantly after change, causing flail)

Geo is great, but very limited in what it can do. You can easily pass up on a geo for minor changes to strategy and do just as well (if not better)

And yes, while you can bot some aspects of rdm... You get what you put in. Youre going to be less than half as effective than if you played it manually, and played it well. All it takes is watching one good rdm to see the difference in what is done. Out of everyone in my group, id say our rdm main is by far the single most important member, and its not even a contest.
 Shiva.Thorny
Serveur: Shiva
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-08-03 13:44:30
Link | Citer | R

And yes, while you can bot some aspects of rdm... You get what you put in. Youre going to be less than half as effective than if you played it manually, and played it well. All it takes is watching one good rdm to see the difference in what is done. Out of everyone in my group, id say our rdm main is by far the single most important member, and its not even a contest.

if you're using public bots, sure

if you can code, a sufficiently advanced bot is better than a player at just about everything
 Asura.Geriond
Serveur: Asura
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2020-08-03 13:54:04
Link | Citer | R

RDM Defense Down isn't even remotely close to Frailty. Having -50-60% defense down, and over 80% during SP against everything that doesn't resist geo bubbles is huge. A RDM + Defense down WS combination is also rarely going to be enough to cap on anything of note (maybe if you throw a DNC in too, but that's pretty rare in itself), especially when a bunch of jobs can do Dia II for a measly ~5% less. There are many fights where ~45% defense down (Dia III and Armor Break) isn't nearly enough to cap attack, while 99.9% defense down (BoG Frailty, Armor Break, and Dia II) will cap it on literally everything that doesn't resist bubbles (of which, relevant enemies other than Wave 2/3 Dyna NMs are almost non-existant).

GEO also has Malaise, which is essentially unique other than a select few extremely weak MDB- debuffs, and even in melee groups CORs and RDMs themselves very much appreciate that.

GEO is also much stronger for defensive buffs than RDM, with Barrier, Wilt, and Fend, which don't have the Dia vs Bio stacking problem and are several times more potent.

As for RDM's other non-self only buffs/debuffs? None of them will often make a fight-changing difference like those geo spells will.

Haste is unnecessary if there is a bard in party.

Refresh is nice, but MP problems are rare with current idle sets and possibly Ballads.

Inundation is occasionally useful, but long SCs are often only one or two weapon types, and if you're just spamming WSs it's useless.

Distract is good, but 95% of content doesn't need it if you have a single Madrigal (or even no madrigals with Honor March).

Same for Frazzle other than a select few enemies like Wave 2 Dyna bosses.

Addle II can be useful, but is rarely enough to grant resists unless your allies are TPing in stuff like Malignance.

Phalanx II is a neat bonus, but tanks already have it, and if a DD gets hate 35 per hit is unlikely to save them.

Silence is probably the biggest boon a main RDM has, given their much higher MACC and duration for when you really need it, but there aren't too many fights where long silences make a huge difference.

RDM is quite versatile and is varied enough to make a run smoother, but rarely do they mean the difference between wiping or not (unless the RDM's general competence is much higher than everyone else's), nor do any of their debuffs generally cripple a NM or vastly speed up runs.

Speaking as a RDM main, we don't have anything as gamechanging as GEO does. There are only 2 fights that I've actually come on RDM and felt I couldn't have been easily replaced by another job in quite a few years (Qiqirn Ambuscade and Fii Pexu the Eternal), while Geo is a huge bonus to almost every fight.

The majority of the time, RDMs are there to smooth bumpy sections and contribute a decent amount of DPS, but we're almost never a backbone of a fight like GEO often is.
[+]
By Afania 2020-08-03 14:00:45
Link | Citer | R

Felgarr said: »
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
In any 18-man content, BST easily adds the most benefit of any single job to a group. -10% HP on bosses. -33% defense and attack for wave 3 volte NMs. Able to dump 99.99999% of it's hate on any target, increasing survivability. Pet versatility allowing it to play defensive, offensive, or support/crowd control support when necessary, all while providing decent DPS (their damage is sufficient with buffs, let's stop exaggerating). Damage dealing really isn't a valid concern anymore with all the buff power we have; if BST parses 5-15% less than another job, they still contributed a great deal to support.

I cannot fathom how people are still confused with BSTs usefulness in a large group. Could argue in 6-man party, but 18?

I'll mostly agree with this but I feel the pet versatility is a bit too reliant on timers. If you have a pet out already and need to switch to Arthur for HP-10% then back to sheep for Rage, you've just used both your available Call Beast or Bestial Loyalty timers. (This is the part that irks me the most).

COR should be doing WC 2 min after engage so there is that.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-08-03 14:05:25
Link | Citer | R

Sure, rdm + ws on its own might not, but dancer and bst arent that uncommon, at least in my group. Cor is also usually fotm, so that boosts dia further.

Yes, geo has better single buffs/debuffs.... But at most you can pick 3. Rdm gets to literally do everything and not pick and choose. That is far more valuable most of the time.

Also, even with capped haste, haste II is still useful for the odd dispel or if it prevents a slow from landing. Having a backup option is typically better than having only 1 and losing it mid fight. (Its also easier to put back up than bard songs generally, if you lose them mid fight)
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2020-08-03 14:11:55
Link | Citer | R

BST has almost the same defense debuff as DRK/WAR/SAM and it doesn't stack, Light Shot was nerfed and boosts Dia II and Dia III equally, and DNC is rarely picked as a party member unless you're going in a big alliance, where jobs are much more flexible and a geo is even easier to fit in. Jobs that put defense debuffs on enemies individually (especially when they are based on TP or timers) also do not mesh very well in places with lots of fodder, like Dynamis.

RDM being able to "literally do everything" means little when 80% of what they can do barely makes a difference in the fight in most cases. Cutting a monster's defense and attack by 60% is going to nearly always make a MUCH bigger difference than the whole array of enfeebles RDM can do.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-08-03 15:19:25
Link | Citer | R

Thats the same argument people made about mnk. It was stupid good before its buffs, and still stupid good after. "Its not useful" quickly turns to "wait, nvm, all that was actually useful" once people start using it.
By Ermah 2020-08-03 15:29:25
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Geriond said: »
BST has almost the same defense debuff as DRK/WAR/SAM and it doesn't stack,

I thought BST debuffs did stack with those debuffs?
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-08-03 15:30:51
Link | Citer | R

"break" and Ageha share the same icon (slot) as ooze

aka; don't stack

Quote:
Dia, Box Step, Defense Down, and Geo-Frailty all stack together.

Defense Down effects such as Acid Bolts, Angon, Spirit Surged Jumps, Tachi: Ageha, Full Break, Shell Crusher, Tenebral Crush, Sweeping Gouge, Tourbillion, and Frightful Roar, etc do not stack. Only one may be active at a time.
 Asura.Geriond
By Asura.Geriond 2020-08-03 15:42:42
Link | Citer | R

Thats the same argument people made about mnk. It was stupid good before its buffs, and still stupid good after. "Its not useful" quickly turns to "wait, nvm, all that was actually useful" once people start using it.
I use RDM all the time, and I'm telling you from personal experience in all kinds of groups. With few exceptions, they take me because I like RDM and they're not hurting for more essential jobs like GEO, not because they actually find me particularly useful over other jobs.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-08-03 16:11:34
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Geriond said: »
I use RDM all the time, and I'm telling you from personal experience in all kinds of groups. With few exceptions, they take me because I like RDM and they're not hurting for more essential jobs like GEO, not because they actually find me particularly useful over other jobs.

And im telling you from personal experience running all content in the game; Post buff rdm is far more valuable than geo. Youre heavily downplaying your job.

Which brings us back to bst; Its not a bst issue, its a community issue. There are some QoL fixes that would be more than welcome; but lets stop kidding ourselves thinking its useless or weak.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2020-08-03 16:13:38
Link | Citer | R

25% and 33% are not almost the same.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-08-03 16:23:31
Link | Citer | R

if you can code, a sufficiently advanced bot is better than a player at just about everything

100% kidding, but it made me think of other people's reactions to this:

By Spaitin 2020-08-03 18:02:30
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk said: »
25% and 33% are not almost the same.
correct, but the fact they do not stack makes the bsts a lot less valuable. Basically translates into a difference of warcry.

Post buff rdm is far more valuable than geo.
You think geo (the job that has the best buffs for acc/atk/macc/mab/evasion/defense/stats) is overated and rdm is better. LOL geo is a one trick pony hahahaha.

You think drk is about the same as bst in dps...

What other hilarious knowledge do you have?
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-08-03 18:25:00
Link | Citer | R

Geo is by definition a one trick pony; You have 3 buffs active at most. Rdm literally gets to throw the kitchen sink at the mob and you get everything. Geo might have "the best" of those options... but thats not valuable when most is in excess or can be made up elsewhere, and rdm provides that much more benefit.

Again, the issue is the community. Every. Single. Time. You devalue jobs potential because all you do is see one other job as being better... when in reality it is just as easily replaced. Bst is the same way. Can easily be used in combination with other jobs to replace a geo, and still be damn well effective. And soon it will get some level of subtle blow, a stat that is severely underrated, and has the potential to be quite massive for it.
By Spaitin 2020-08-03 18:27:02
Link | Citer | R

Geo is by definition a one trick pony; You have 3 buffs active at most.
Now i dont think you know what the term "one trick pony" means. or what the word "definition" means. You are pretty hilarious. GEO has more than just bubbles lol.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-08-03 18:32:46
Link | Citer | R

Thats pretty much all youre providing unless youre specifically in a mage setup and not a mule.
By Ermah 2020-08-03 18:37:49
Link | Citer | R

I'm starting to notice you're more of an internet troll than someone who is actually concerned about the well being of BST.
[+]
By Spaitin 2020-08-03 18:51:23
Link | Citer | R

Ermah said: »
please understand the basics of the ability you are trying to describe as bsts end all be all.
By Ermah 2020-08-03 18:53:16
Link | Citer | R

Ermah said: »
please understand the basics of the ability you are trying to describe as bsts end all be all.

You have no arguments so you attack other people. Troll confirmed. Have a good life.
By Spaitin 2020-08-03 19:12:26
Link | Citer | R

Thats pretty much all youre providing unless youre specifically in a mage setup and not a mule.
Man, you are filled with hilarious knowledge.
 Bahamut.Justthetip
Serveur: Bahamut
user: sairasu
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2020-08-03 19:30:07
Link | Citer | R

And all those points are virtually irrelevant.

It doesnt matter if a 30+% def/att or -10% maxhp debuff is a *personal* dps loss. No one cares about personal DPS. Those debuffs are absolutely massive for party setups in general, *especially* in content where geo is nerfed. The amount of support you give the party, while being able to be only *slightly* behind other rema DDs like drk, is good enough that you could always bring a bst and not feel bad about it.
This gotta be a troll post. If you think bst is slighty behind a drk in dps. Also if you think a geo is somehow under rdm as far as support goes then you need to stop doing low end content. Rdm isn't offering anything near what a geo does for a pt/alliance everything in this game was easy mode kill before rdm got its buff and could land stuff. So now that they got a buff it wouldn't change the stance it just enhances the alliance with a geo. At what point is rdm lowering a target defense 57% before bolster or blaze? You some how think rdm isn't overrated but geo is? People jump on the rdm wagon when it got buffed but dont remember the days when everything was fine pretty much without them.(Not saying I liked it)
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-08-03 19:52:11
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Justthetip said: »

It doesnt matter if a 30+% def/att or -10% maxhp debuff is a *personal* dps loss. No one cares about personal DPS. Those debuffs are absolutely massive for party setups in general, *especially* in content where geo is nerfed. The amount of support you give the party, while being able to be only *slightly* behind other rema DDs like drk, is good enough that you could always bring a bst and not feel bad about it.
This gotta be a troll post. If you think bst is slighty behind a drk in dps. Also if you think a geo is somehow under rdm as far as support goes then you need to stop doing low end content. Rdm isn't offering anything near what a geo does for a pt/alliance everything in this game was easy mode kill before rdm got its buff and could land stuff. So now that they got a buff it wouldn't change the stance it just enhances the alliance with a geo. At what point is rdm lowering a target defense 57% before bolster or blaze? You some how think rdm isn't overrated but geo is? People jump on the rdm wagon when it got buffed but dont remember the days when everything was fine pretty much without them.(Not saying I liked it)

Ive literally done all content in the game, not "low end content". Highest content out there is dyna wave 3, all of which i have personally cleared. Rdm is far more impactful to a successful dyna or helms run than geo is. It can just do more for you.

And bst really isnt that far behind other DDs in DPS. Its like 5-10% less than their personal DPS at most, while also providing a good deal of support. And given on paper DPS is not in game DPS, it puts lower DPS jobs a good bit closer to higher ones.
 Bahamut.Justthetip
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2020-08-03 19:55:42
Link | Citer | R

Afania said: »
Felgarr said: »
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
In any 18-man content, BST easily adds the most benefit of any single job to a group. -10% HP on bosses. -33% defense and attack for wave 3 volte NMs. Able to dump 99.99999% of it's hate on any target, increasing survivability. Pet versatility allowing it to play defensive, offensive, or support/crowd control support when necessary, all while providing decent DPS (their damage is sufficient with buffs, let's stop exaggerating). Damage dealing really isn't a valid concern anymore with all the buff power we have; if BST parses 5-15% less than another job, they still contributed a great deal to support.

I cannot fathom how people are still confused with BSTs usefulness in a large group. Could argue in 6-man party, but 18?

I'll mostly agree with this but I feel the pet versatility is a bit too reliant on timers. If you have a pet out already and need to switch to Arthur for HP-10% then back to sheep for Rage, you've just used both your available Call Beast or Bestial Loyalty timers. (This is the part that irks me the most).

COR should be doing WC 2 min after engage so there is that.
Normally have cors wait til geos bolster and stuff wear so you could do a blaze/ecliptic bubble then try for it but yea the pet swap once shouldn't really matter if you got a cor that can just WC it back.
 Bahamut.Justthetip
By Bahamut.Justthetip 2020-08-03 20:00:32
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Justthetip said: »

Ive literally done all content in the game, not "low end content". Highest content out there is dyna wave 3, all of which i have personally cleared. Rdm is far more impactful to a successful dyna or helms run than geo is. It can just do more for you.

And bst really isnt that far behind other DDs in DPS. Its like 5-10% less than their personal DPS at most, while also providing a good deal of support. And given on paper DPS is not in game DPS, it puts lower DPS jobs a good bit closer to higher ones.
Clearly its why up til rdm update people were doing it no problem without them? So you do namis runs without a single geo and put a rdm in slot and fine no biggy? I wanna see videos of this tbh. Also a BiS drk vs a BiS bst is more like 10-15% behind but yea either way thats not slightly. A rdm doesn't give a full party better stuff then a geo can. Maybe its the way you do things and you havent tried better strats but no way are the two the same in any real way when it comes to party needs. Rdm is a great job but saying its somehow better than geo because it got a buff is kinda stupid when wave 3 was cleared just fine without anything rdm offers.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-08-03 20:01:51
Link | Citer | R

Id assume RD could also reset it. I know ive asked for RD a lot on dragoon. (also, *** odin)