Tracking *my* Transactions For A Particular Item

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXIAH.com » Suggestions » Tracking *my* transactions for a particular item
Tracking *my* transactions for a particular item
 Leviathan.Cymmina
Serveur: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Cymmina
By Leviathan.Cymmina 2008-08-20 16:51:39
Link | Citer | R

There have been several times I've wanted to know how much I've paid for a particular item to see how much money I'm losing (or making) when it comes time to sell the item back to the auction house. Sometimes you keep certian pieces of gear around for 20 levels and by then, more than 25 transactions have taken place.

Might also be interesting to see it for other players (*cough*RMT*cough*), too.
 Ragnarok.Anye
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2008-08-21 02:23:39
Link | Citer | R

oh, TOTALLY. Is it possible to call GMs based on people's price history, though? I heard you're not allowed to use FFXIAH.com as a means of proving their actions as RMT?
 Garuda.Littledarc
Serveur: Garuda
By Garuda.Littledarc 2008-08-21 13:01:03
Link | Citer | R

255 transactions are available for you to look at on your page. only 25 of them (or whatever number you set) are public.
 Pandemonium.Luignata
Serveur: Pandemonium
user:
By Pandemonium.Luignata 2008-08-21 14:22:31
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

It would be interesting to see your transaction history for just 1 particular item.

However, it will be just limited to yourself, I don't think they will add the ability to track other players, due to the fact that those players may not want other players to view their history.

Then for those that don't sign up to the site, ( RMT and players included ) their transactions are limited to 25, and I also don't think that we will be allowed to go farther back then 25 transactions.
 Leviathan.Cymmina
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Cymmina
By Leviathan.Cymmina 2008-08-23 10:48:37
Link | Citer | R

Littledarc said:
255 transactions are available for you to look at on your page. only 25 of them (or whatever number you set) are public.

You don't think by the time you can get something better than Spiked Finger Gauntlets (lvl 50), you've made more than 255 transactions? The oldest transaction in my 255 history is August 6.
 Garuda.Littledarc
Serveur: Garuda
By Garuda.Littledarc 2008-09-07 23:55:02
Link | Citer | R

if it's that important to you then save it on notepad? i don't know if it is possible or even worthwhile to store more than 255 transactions. just my opinion though.
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
Serveur: Midgardsormr
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2008-09-08 00:49:27
Link | Citer | R

I'd imagine the limits in place are for the sake of the database server[s], ie. only X transactions are kept on hand per item, 255 per character. Anything older would be cut out of the tables for the sake of disk space, index memory, and transaction efficiency.

What difference does it make what the prices were 3 months ago if it's selling so fast your records are already pushed off the end of the tables? There's not much chance you're going to be pricing anything retroactively. I agree with Littledarc that you should track it yourself, but I recommend Excel, or OpenOffice Calc.

The one, more reasonable option I would like to see pursued is an actual, readable timescale on the price history graphs. Those appear to be culled from data that goes back further than what the tables display, but the x-axis gradations are so garbled that it's impossible to tell. The y-axis has the same problem, but at least the labels for the data points pop up on mouseover.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2008-09-08 12:43:22
Link | Citer | R

Sammitch is correct.

After several years tracking every transaction on every server, our database is now enormous. The only way to keep the data in a format that can generate a page in a fraction of a second, so that users aren't waiting 30+ seconds per page load as they click around the site, is to partition and archive the data. That is, write in arbitrary hard cut-offs system-wide to archive data that will not be accessed daily anymore. For things like monthly reports (like the economic graphs,) we can store aggragate data for pre-set intervals as well.

Telling a database to generate a page based off a table containing only the last 255 transactions is infinitely faster than telling a database to generate the past 255 from a table of 379,211,450 unordered transactions.

This is why our site cannot allow users to arbitrarily decide how far back they want to view. Not just for fear of making the site too powerful and imbalance the game -- but because the database simply couldn't handle that many arbitrary time period transactions on potentially several billion rows of data. (Unless you guys would be okay with every page on the site taking 30 seconds to load.) This isn't just a factor in player transaction lists, but things like profit/loss calculations in the synth section as well.

(The timescale thing is a bug though. Those graphs originally went up when we only have several weeks or months of data, and we never really redid the scale even though we've been up for a couple years now.)