The "Good Ol' Days" Thread:
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Shiva.Eightball
Serveur: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Eightball 2020-06-11 16:57:52
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Kasaioni said: »
Not having dispel as RDM going into a beetle party in Garlaige Citadel.

The leader of the party actually went back to Jeuno and bought me a scroll off of the AH, now that I remember.

Was this on shiva?
 Cerberus.Genoside
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Genoside 2020-06-11 19:21:34
Link | Citer | R

Dynamis Tavnazia Back in the day.

[+]
By RadialArcana 2020-06-11 19:33:55
Link | Citer | R

YouTube Video Placeholder

YouTube Video Placeholder

2 PLD/WARs on nid/faf with a summoner to give them blinkga, training spiders on the group who claimed, misclaiming darters..
 Leviathan.Draugo
Serveur: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-06-11 19:40:12
Link | Citer | R

Feeling like an international jet setter cause you took the time to unlock all the outpost warps, only took like 30 minutes to get to camp with those!
[+]
By RadialArcana 2020-06-11 19:41:21
Link | Citer | R

Best drama I remember was a BLM in our Dynamis shell that waited over a year for his blm hat, then another BLM who recently joined waiting 4.50 minutes or whatever it was, lotted and then d2 the BLM who was supposed to get it as everyone was saying grats.

He left party to not be treated the same way and got the drop.

Other BLM lost his mind with rage.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-06-11 19:46:18
Link | Citer | R

Also GM Dave!
[+]
 Carbuncle.Skulloneix
Serveur: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Skulloneix 2020-06-11 20:59:45
Link | Citer | R

RadialArcana said: »
Best drama I remember was a BLM in our Dynamis shell that waited over a year for his blm hat, then another BLM who recently joined waiting 4.50 minutes or whatever it was, lotted and then d2 the BLM who was supposed to get it as everyone was saying grats.

Ouch. >_<

I do miss classic Dynamis....great times. Though it could be because I enjoyed our LS shenanigans.
 Carbuncle.Skulloneix
Serveur: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Skulloneix 2020-06-11 21:27:09
Link | Citer | R

There are days I miss Kirin runs... XD
By Luminiferous 2020-06-11 22:14:31
Link | Citer | R

Eco-Warrior and Garrison alliances
Separate auction houses in all the nation's
The gauntlet run to Jeuno
Clipping the airship to stand on the rail or fall off the side
Ancient Papyrus Lich alliances
The crazy amount of EXP needed after level 50 to level up
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-06-11 22:15:19
Link | Citer | R

Yea the original scaling on XP was brutal.
[+]
By zixxer 2020-06-11 22:53:15
Link | Citer | R

When building a party, you would actually use the search feature and send random tells to people with no flag up, in the right jobs and right level and sell them on joining your party.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-06-11 23:08:08
Link | Citer | R

Airships, anyone remember those? I don't think you even have to take a single trip on them any more.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2020-06-11 23:24:07
Link | Citer | R

Maat fight at 70, blink band, selbina milk, hp potions x10, sleep potion to 100 tp.

Thing that really annoyed me about maat is his level was random between 2-3 levels or so, so some had an easy fight and others got destroyed.
[+]
 Fenrir.Aladeus
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Aladeus
By Fenrir.Aladeus 2020-06-12 02:10:21
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Draugo said: »
Chocobo rentals, one day 300 Gil, next day 3k. Back when 100k felt like you could buy half the AH.

chocobos used to be 6k at crag of mea, so i used to just walk to bibiki bay parties since 6k was a large percentage of my gil. xD
[+]
 Fenrir.Aladeus
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Aladeus
By Fenrir.Aladeus 2020-06-12 02:10:33
Link | Citer | R

i went 1/10 on rdm maat fight, between early attempts without borrowing gear from nice ppl and being unlucky.. (and sucking lol)
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
Serveur: Asura
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-06-12 02:22:21
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Aeonova said: »
Carbuncle.Lunatone said: »
Not telling my party in Crawler's Nest I didn't have Utsusemi: Ni yet and letting jesus take the wheel.

I'll see your not having Utsusemi:Ni and raise you a not having quested a Crawler's Nest map.

As a WHM main, I should have realized what I was reading and recalled a WHM memory.

You said crawlers nest & ninja and my mind just went to... not having Erase to remove slow (and in that same vein, no one having Dispel to remove Defense Boost of Cocoon).

Literally just yesterday I NPC'd an Erase scroll that washed up in my Mog Garden. That used to be big money.
[+]
 Shiva.Kasaioni
user: Kasaioni
By Shiva.Kasaioni 2020-06-12 02:31:47
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Eightball said: »

The leader of the party actually went back to Jeuno and bought me a scroll off of the AH, now that I remember.

Was this on shiva?
When did the server merge between Alexander and Shiva happen? I think it was on Alexander because my RDM would have been like level 40-60 to be doing beetle parties, and I didn't get into Abyssea until I was level 70. So I would have been doing that exp party before Abyssea was out. Or if it was on Shiva, Abyssea was out and people hadn't figured out Abyssea exp yet.
I forget the timeline of updates to the game and where my progress was at.
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-06-12 02:32:18
Link | Citer | R

RadialArcana said: »

Dear lawd. This reminds me of the ancient "rumor" that may or may not have happened, but I heard it second-hand from a legit source who would A: not be creative enough and B: not have anything to gain by making it up, but... the story goes:

Some JP (or NA depending on how you hear it) alliance had claim on Fafnir or Nidhogg. A NA (or JP) RDM was around and standing there. They asked to be invited to the JP (or NA) alliances tank team to help. Unsure their reasoning or how they convinced them, but they got invited.

Then... wait for it...

RDM > Chainspell > Teleport

zixxer said: »
When building a party, you would actually use the search feature and send random tells to people with no flag up, in the right jobs and right level and sell them on joining your party.

So many RDM and BRD lived with their information hidden while DRG were begging for invites.

[+]
By Xaander 2020-06-12 03:49:24
Link | Citer | R

I played DRG at every stage of the game's development almost. In the old days, each party invite was like 16-20 hours, but the only reason anyone wanted a dragoon was to first voke for the thf to SATA the tank. I refused to sub anything but sam, so many of those invites fell through. The other scenario was being invited to a pt, then when running to camp, a RNG popped LFG, so the party would rep you without ever telling you they did. Had that happen a few times, but once running all the way out to those Den of Rancor camps. Only reason I leveled even relatively quickly in the old days was on reputation and people spreading that I was some kind of "exception" to the "useless drg rule" through word of mouth.

Mostly just used to farm while LFG because money was so hard to make as a new player. Soloing on drg was actually a lot of fun in the old days and had a lot of skill involved as long as you were trying to tackle something above EP.
[+]
 Shiva.Eightball
By Shiva.Eightball 2020-06-12 05:31:05
Link | Citer | R

Was this on shiva?
When did the server merge between Alexander and Shiva happen? I think it was on Alexander because my RDM would have been like level 40-60 to be doing beetle parties, and I didn't get into Abyssea until I was level 70. So I would have been doing that exp party before Abyssea was out. Or if it was on Shiva, Abyssea was out and people hadn't figured out Abyssea exp yet.

Was just wondering because that sounds very familiar.
By Xaander 2020-06-12 05:39:18
Link | Citer | R

Was this on shiva?

According to this, the Alexander to Shiva world merge was March 2011. Some of the other servers were merged a year earlier in 2010 if I remember right.
 Shiva.Kasaioni
user: Kasaioni
By Shiva.Kasaioni 2020-06-12 06:11:27
Link | Citer | R

Xaander said: »

Was this on shiva?

According to this, the Alexander to Shiva world merge was March 2011. Some of the other servers were merged a year earlier in 2010 if I remember right.
I'm gonna say that happened before the server merge then, back before I knew how to really play RDM. But I can't imagine that scenario was an uncommon occurrence.
 Odin.Senaki
Serveur: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2020-06-12 06:13:05
Link | Citer | R

That moment when you started ffxi as a new player during the middle of Aby times.
By McDavid 2020-06-12 06:27:58
Link | Citer | R

That 24hr~ period in the TOAU era when SE accidentally gave 2 handed weapons an insane boost to damage. I was in a group as a 60 DRK with 2x Sams and it was insane lol. Too bad it got fixed so fast.
 Asura.Suteru
user: Suteru
By Asura.Suteru 2020-06-12 11:11:38
Link | Citer | R

Remember when it was like 6 months between version updates?
[+]
By RadialArcana 2020-06-12 11:28:46
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Suteru said: »
Remember when it was like 6 months between version updates?

Yeah and people *** and moan about content now, when we are getting more for our sub than ever before.

Crazy, the more you give the more they expect.
[+]
 Asura.Azriel
user: Azriel
By Asura.Azriel 2020-06-12 15:41:14
Link | Citer | R

I did learn a lesson for life while playing in the "good old days".

--- Stop looking and it drops ---

Thank you FF11 - and all your ***you dropped at me.
[+]
 Sylph.Kuwoobie
Serveur: Sylph
user: Kuwoobie
By Sylph.Kuwoobie 2020-06-12 16:10:23
Link | Citer | R

Getting really emotional looking through all of my old screenshots. Each one has its own story to tell. I fear there will never be anything quite like the old days of FFXI ever again. To know that billions of people will never have that experience...

Anyway:

Boundary breaking in Valkurm Dunes was fun, especially on PS2 where there was no possibility of third party programs. (or at least almost no probability)

Fellowship NPCs are introduced for the first time and people are more amazed with how courteous they are with each other in getting them than the actual NPCs themselves.

When Dynamis was "Die in a Mess"
[+]
By RadialArcana 2020-06-12 16:32:51
Link | Citer | R

All member berries aside though, I still prefer modern ffxi.
[+]