Corona Virus, How Has It Affected Your Area So Far?

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Corona Virus, How has it affected your area so far?
Corona Virus, How has it affected your area so far?
First Page 2 3 ... 116 117 118 ... 129 130 131
 Leviathan.Draugo
Serveur: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-05-13 18:32:16
Link | Citer | R

Oh boy, semantics now. You know what I meant.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
Serveur: Bismarck
user: duo1666
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-05-13 18:32:58
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Draugo said: »
Bismarck.Nyaarun said: »
Except we have laws against slandorous speech.

Truth isnt slander, and you cant prove its not true. The core parts of it being trump knew about the disease months ahead of time and yet did nothing directly resulting in more deaths is true. Yes, 1 week delay in action could lead to that many deaths. No, this is not slander. By law you need to prove its not true, which the core bits are, so the statement is more than plausible.
It's not truth, it's *** opinion.

Its not, because i guarantee you you can back up that statement reasonably enough to not be anywhere near actionable. A 60% death toll increase in a 1 week delay is entirely reasonable to expect, given the exponential growth and death rate you get from inaction.
 Asura.Eiryl
Serveur: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-05-13 18:33:35
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Immortalmoon said: »
essential=disposable forgive me for being a angry drunk "essential worker"

The idea of essential workers working while non essential stay home is you have fewer people coming in contact with other people, resulting in a much lower spread of the virus, and you can allocate more protective measures and policies to protect those who are essential.

Overall, when done properly, fewer essential and non essential workers get infected as a result.

"Essential" is a misnomer. All employees are "Expendable" the business is "Essential"

They con you by saying you're essential, but you the individual are not. it's "essential" that an employee be there, but there is a laundry list of people willing to do it.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-05-13 18:35:56
Link | Citer | R

and you cant prove its not true
Your truthiness must be hard at work.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-05-13 18:36:22
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Cerberus.Immortalmoon said: »
essential=disposable forgive me for being a angry drunk "essential worker"

The idea of essential workers working while non essential stay home is you have fewer people coming in contact with other people, resulting in a much lower spread of the virus, and you can allocate more protective measures and policies to protect those who are essential.

Overall, when done properly, fewer essential and non essential workers get infected as a result.

"Essential" is a misnomer. All employees are "Expendable" the business is "Essential"

They con you by saying you're essential, but you the individual are not. it's "essential" that an employee be there, but there is a laundry list of people willing to do it.

Thats more an issue with unchecked capitalism and the mentality of business in the US. The workers themselves are still essential, as the business itself would flop without them, but i agree we dont treat them like they should be. Still waiting on congress to pass hazard pay for everyone working, but nope.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-05-13 18:38:27
Link | Citer | R

If youre claiming something is slanderous/libelous you must prove it to be not true. Plus, trump is a public figure, meaning he has even less protection from libel/slander. The threshold to reach for this in the US is incredibly high. This wouldnt meet the criteria, especially when it can be backed up by statistics.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-05-13 18:55:19
Link | Citer | R

If youre claiming something is slanderous/libelous you must prove it to be not true. Plus, trump is a public figure, meaning he has even less protection from libel/slander. The threshold to reach for this in the US is incredibly high. This wouldnt meet the criteria, especially when it can be backed up by statistics.

As a statistician, let me note that “statistics” can’t even begin to reasonably back up the number on that billboard. It’s faulty extrapolation at best.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-05-13 19:10:30
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

As a statistician, let me note that “statistics” can’t even begin to reasonably back up the number on that billboard. It’s faulty extrapolation at best.

Not really. The longer you wait, the more people that die. If we acted sooner, this could have been controlled before even becoming a pandemic (we being the world governments in general), but we didnt. The US in particular watched it spread in china, and europe, months before taking action. 90% of US deaths alone were preventable.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-05-13 19:15:34
Link | Citer | R

Not really. The longer you wait, the more people that die. If we acted sooner, this could have been controlled before even becoming a pandemic (we being the world governments in general), but we didnt. The US in particular watched it spread in china, and europe, months before taking action. 90% of US deaths alone were preventable.

Oh, it's 90% now? I swear, people just love inventing percentages when they have no clue how proper statistics actually work.

To put it in a perspective that people can understand, suppose you have a kicker in American football miss an easy 3-point field goal early in the first quarter. His team goes on to lose 13-14. Naturally, you'll have people saying, "If he hadn't missed that kick in the first quarter, his team would have won 16-14!"

It's ridiculous to think that the exact events that transpired after the missed field goal would have happened if the field goal had been made. Maybe his team would have lost 3-42. Maybe they would have won 24-0. Who knows?

It's just as ridiculous to think you can pinpoint an exact number of deaths that would have occurred had Trump did whatever thing you think he should have. Now, common sense would dictate that acting sooner would have had a better effect in the long run and it's okay to think that. Throwing out garbage figures just hurts your case.

In short:

Valid opinion - "I believe that the situation could have been much better if [insert thing here] had happened sooner and here's why."

Unprovable pseudoscience garbage - "If mitigation measures had been implemented even one week earlier, by March 9th 2020, approximately 60% of U.S. deaths would have been prevented."
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-05-13 19:23:17
Link | Citer | R

No, its not unsubstantiated. We would have been able to make necessary medical aid tools had we allocated resources to such, and could have drastically delayed/reduced the spread into the US just by enforcing mandatory quarantine measures to anyone entering the country, which we did not do until well after we had issues here.

We had all the time to prepare and all the reason to do so, literally watching it infect and devastate asia then europe. We didnt use that time at all. We have the advantage to say most of our deaths could have been prevented just due to our nature of being on a separate continent.

Most of these deaths were preventable. Theres no two ways around it. Almost every single government around the world *** up. And now we pay the consequences for their inaction. The death toll in the US is solely at the hands of the trump admin and all of congress.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-05-13 19:27:03
Link | Citer | R

And you completely missed the point. The numbers are what are unsubstantiated, not the general philosophy.
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-05-13 19:38:42
Link | Citer | R

Except theyre not really unsubstantiated. Mitigating the curve for the initial spike as well as having proper medical preparedness in place with a proper medical response would have significantly reduced the death rate. 90% reduction is a lowball estimate for immediate action. None of our actual plans to deal with outbreaks of this nature were used.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-05-13 19:44:24
Link | Citer | R

/facepalm.

Well, I tried. Basic understanding can't be forced.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-05-13 20:19:10
Link | Citer | R

Almost every single government around the world *** up.
But but but, I thought this was all Trump's fault....
One man a government does not make. All our law makers are accountable. No two ways about it. But hey keep up with the one man could have prevented all the dipshits of the world from traveling narrative your overlords have programmed you with.
Try harder.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2020-05-13 20:19:56
Link | Citer | R

/facepalm.

Well, I tried. Basic understanding can't be forced.
Don't bother, critical thinking is over his head.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nyaarun
By Bismarck.Nyaarun 2020-05-13 20:41:28
Link | Citer | R

One man a government does not make. All our law makers are accountable. No two ways about it. But hey keep up with the one man could have prevented all the dipshits of the world from traveling narrative your overlords have programmed you with.
Try harder.

1) Yes, the US is trumps responsibility.

2) I called out both the trump admin, in which trump is the head of and responsibility rests with him, and congress. All of congress. Both dems and republicans. Even if some had the right idea, they still failed to get it enacted and thus it falls to them as well.

Try again.
[+]
By Xaander 2020-05-13 21:24:42
Link | Citer | R

And you completely missed the point. The numbers are what are unsubstantiated, not the general philosophy.

Right, and I understand why you would feel strongly about having the correct numbers before making a claim. Having accurate data before speaking out is a laudable goal, but it is a little ironic in discussions about the Trump administration in light of its obvious love of lies. But the irony is irrelevant to your point and truth, honesty, and accuracy are things we should all strive for, especially leaders in government. The problem is more that some people are trying to piggyback off your point and use an inaccurate number on a billboard to completely quash and diffuse solid arguments about the importance of preparedness. I never really thought I'd live through a time where some people seem to think it is controversial that preparing earlier for a highly contagious pandemic will save lives, but here we are. And yes, both parties in the government share some blame, but there is no denying that the federal government and the president have broader powers than states to combat a crisis of this nature. The combination of the Republicans holding the Senate and the presidency makes their culpability for a bungled response greater than the Democrats' share of the burden in this instance. It also doesn't help Republicans that more evidence of how early the Trump administration was warned, and how blatantly they disregarded those warnings, keeps trickling out. Even now, when we have more information and tangible evidence of newly discovered ways covid-19 affects the body (blood clots, inflammatory disorders in children, circulatory issues), the federal response is more interested in enhancing Trump's reelection over saving American lives. Also, remember that anyone who uses personal attacks and aggression, instead of grappling with the core of an argument, is trying to compensate for a lack of knowledge or ability. This sentiment is certainly applicable to the current president.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ozment
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: ozment
By Ragnarok.Ozment 2020-05-13 22:44:10
Link | Citer | R

[+]
By Draylo 2020-05-13 23:44:10
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Oh snap, New Yorkers! (Draylo!)

Is it true Times Square giant tvs digital billboard is updating covid deaths now? That's savage.

Quote:
A billboard in New York City’s Times Square has begun showing a "Trump Death Clock" tallying coronavirus deaths that its creator says can be attributed to the president's inaction.

The digital counter was installed last week by filmmaker Eugene Jarecki, who said he wanted to make clear to the Americans the consequences of Donald Trump’s policies.

Specifically deaths attributed to trumps incompetence, not the whole death toll (how do they know? it's just 60% of total deaths)

We were there earlier walking the dogs and I didn't see that anywhere. Either photo shopped or not in the center and its off somewhere.

I found this tho, I think Bubble died of COVID 19

Asura.Eiryl
Serveur: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-05-13 23:48:03
Link | Citer | R

I guess it's on the corner of 43rd and broadway

Where it should be, based on the picture on google maps
By Ruaumoko 2020-05-14 00:18:16
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
"Trump Death Clock"

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By Draylo 2020-05-14 00:23:36
Link | Citer | R

Maybe I missed it, weird I looked for it too. I'm trying to find myself on the live cam but I can't, hard to miss with two dogs and we walked right by there I wonder if its really live lol.

Edit: Look mom I'm on TV! I found myself lol, this is creepy.

YouTube Video Placeholder

I was there around 1:19:58 but it looks like it keeps moving so I can't find myself again lol
[+]
 Valefor.Commodus
Serveur: Valefor
user: abknight
By Valefor.Commodus 2020-05-14 01:10:11
Link | Citer | R

Try harder.
[+]
 Bahamut.Soraishin
user: Soraishin
By Bahamut.Soraishin 2020-05-14 01:33:27
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Commodus said: »
Try harder.

By Voren 2020-05-14 01:53:51
Link | Citer | R

Try harder.

1) Yes, the US is trumps responsibility.

2) I called out both the trump admin, in which trump is the head of and responsibility rests with him, and congress. All of congress. Both dems and republicans. Even if some had the right idea, they still failed to get it enacted and thus it falls to them as well.

Try again.

Presidents 1-44: the buck stops with me, I take responsibility.

President 45: the buck doesn't stop with me, it stops somewhere, but not with me. It may stop with that guy, or this lady. The buck stops on both sides where we have great people doing great things with the buck, but it doesn't stop with me, and I know about where the buck stops because no one knows more about where the buck stops than I do.
[+]
By Eboneezer 2020-05-14 02:50:59
Link | Citer | R

Voren said: »
Presidents 1-44: the buck stops with me, I take responsibility.

That's pretty funny
By RadialArcana 2020-05-14 03:06:01
Link | Citer | R

No president has ever faced the kind of obstruction and resistance (even from Obama himself) that 45 has, he has every right to be buttmad. If I was him I would be firing nukes at obamas beach house right now.
[+]
By Voren 2020-05-14 03:23:45
Link | Citer | R

RadialArcana said: »
No president has ever faced the kind of obstruction and resistance (even from Obama himself) that 45 has, he has every right to be buttmad. If I was him I would be firing nukes at obamas beach house right now.

Damn, I thought Kireek got banned, welcome back

Also, you might actually read a bit of US history, Lincoln says hello.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2020-05-14 03:31:40
Link | Citer | R

I didn't get banned, I just deleted my account so I would stop posting in the refuse dept.

You should of gone back to the stoneage if you were going to go back into history, why stop at 200 years ago?? It's disgraceful what obama and his cronies have done.
By Voren 2020-05-14 03:37:41
Link | Citer | R

RadialArcana said: »
I didn't get banned, I just deleted my account so I would stop posting in the refuse dept.

You should of gone back to the stoneage if you were going to go back into history, why stop at 200 years ago??

Because we're talking about US presidents, or did that elude you?

Edit: I don't disagree that Obama did a crap job, I've said it before, but like most things you only remember what suits you. However, Obama isn't in office, people like you keep him relevant while people like me want to move on. At some point you need to admit that Trump *** up and move on.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 116 117 118 ... 129 130 131