String Theory: A Puppetmaster's Guide *NEW*

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » String Theory: A Puppetmaster's Guide *NEW*
String Theory: A Puppetmaster's Guide *NEW*
First Page 2 3 ... 53 54 55 ... 94 95 96
 Siren.Itachi
Serveur: Siren
Game: FFXI
By Siren.Itachi 2020-08-01 10:37:29
Link | Citer | R

Aerix said: »

Well-augmented Herc feet are technically BiS, but after like 4k Fern stones I've yet to see any augments that beat Ryuo +1 by any significant margin as those boots have crazy high Attack on them. So unless you get super lucky Ryuo are realistically BIS for most people.

What would be good augments on herc to beat Ryou +1 for Pummel? I got 'Accuracy+29','"Triple Atk."+3','STR+8','Attack+14' augs
By Aerix 2020-08-01 13:32:21
Link | Citer | R

Perfect stats would be STR+10, Crit Dmg+5% and a large chunk of both Acc and Atk.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-08-01 15:43:08
Link | Citer | R

It's also even harder for Herc to beat Ryuo+1 D when you aren't capping attack. Ryuo +1 add ~atk+98 (!!!) over base Herc stats by my /checkparam. That's a combined total from base stats, augment, much higher STR, and set bonus with Ryuo+1 hands.

That's... a whole lot of Atk. Oh yeah, and they also come with other great Stringing Pummel stats in STR+39 (23 more than Herc), and crit rate +4%. That's a really high bar for Herc to clear through TA+2 and augments. Only real downside is lack of acc (though without augs, Herc also aren't that impressive in the acc department either) - and that's something you can generally make up elsewhere.
By Aerix 2020-08-01 23:47:01
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Capuchin said: »
It's also even harder for Herc to beat Ryuo+1 D when you aren't capping attack. Ryuo +1 add ~atk+98 (!!!) over base Herc stats by my /checkparam. That's a combined total from base stats, augment, much higher STR, and set bonus with Ryuo+1 hands.

That's... a whole lot of Atk. Oh yeah, and they also come with other great Stringing Pummel stats in STR+39 (23 more than Herc), and crit rate +4%. That's a really high bar for Herc to clear through TA+2 and augments. Only real downside is lack of acc (though without augs, Herc also aren't that impressive in the acc department either) - and that's something you can generally make up elsewhere.

Sadly, WS Acc is actually a real issue in late endgame without double Madrigals. The aforementioned Stringing Pummel set's acc is far, far behind our TP gear so you're unlikely to cap in stuff like Wave 3 or certain Ambus if you aren't getting those double Mads. Unlike single hit WSs we can't make full use of the bonus +100 WS Acc as that's on the first hit only. VSmite MNK actually has similarly low Acc in their WS set, though they've got more native Acc bonuses to compensate a bit.

Of course you can always switch to a higher Acc set for WS, but that comes at a big cost in terms of damage. Several pieces like Heyoka body +1 don't really have superior options to begin with.

So it's actually nice we've got a slightly higher Acc piece in the form of augmented Blistering Sallet +1 now and hopefully we'll get more like that in the future.

Edit:

Also, apparently I was looking at an outdated version of the DPS spreadsheet when I was comparing Hizamaru +2 vs. Samnuha for HF. Samnuha does beat Hizamaru even at uncapped Attack and there is actually a decent difference between them at Attack cap in favor of Samnuha.

The only times Hizamaru wins are when you aren't capped on Acc or when you're using HF with Kenkonken's AM3 (instead of a weapon like Godhands).
By Mosquiton 2020-08-03 11:01:11
Link | Citer | R

I'm sorry if I have missed an answer to this already, but are Xiucoatl (path C, assuming the damage applies to nukes) worth getting for a BLM auto? The BG page still lists Tinhaspa (or Kenkonken for suppresion) for a nuking set.

Also if anyone has an updated Master set for Casting / Magic Bursting auto that would be appreciated.
By Nariont 2020-08-03 11:04:34
Link | Citer | R

damage only applies to ws/ja type actions. Nukes/aa are uneffected, so for nuke frame its just a strong macc option
By Mosquiton 2020-08-03 11:08:47
Link | Citer | R

Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for.
By Aerix 2020-08-03 11:39:16
Link | Citer | R

These are the sets I use if I focus solely on nuking. In my opinion, Xiucoatl are more valuable than the MAB HTH not only because it's MACC+50 vs. at best half that value in MAB, but also because the maton already nukes like a truck with Ice Maker, Amplifiers and Loudspeakers, albeit infrequently. So you want to minimize the chances of getting any resists, although it obviously depends on the content you're doing.

ItemSet 368252
- Naga are all Path C for Fast Cast
- Idle cape has Pet: Regen+15 and otherwise just master stats (the Delve cape with Pet: Refresh might be worth it, but I don't remember if swapping out Ambu cape costs max HP/MP)

ItemSet 352991
- Herc pieces have Pet: INT+10-15, MAB+30
- Nuking cape has Pet: MACC/MDMG+20, MDMG+10, Haste+10%, Regen+5 (can replace MDMG with MACC if you want)

Attachments:

- Ice Maker
- Loudspeaker 4
- Arcanoclutch
- Amplifier 1+2
- Heatsink
- Turbo Charger 1+2
- Optic Fiber 1+2
- Mana Tank 3+4

Drop Turbo Charger and Loudspeaker 4 for Scanner + LS 3 on anything that's Dark resistant and/or has no MP. That'll stop the maton from spamming Aspir altogether.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-08-03 20:05:52
Link | Citer | R

Some swaps/downgrades to Aerix's top end pet nuke set:

Weapon: Su4 H2H are good too, prob worth grabbing a pair if you a serious enough PUP that you want a great piece for pet-only/Overdrive fights with a side benefit of being a very good pet nuking piece... but maybe not so committed that you're willing to buy the pricey Xiucaoatl. Ohrmazd (Skirmish weapon with augments) or Tinhaspa are your further downgrades.

Don't forget that Kenkonken or Midnights also have value for the Overload suppression, and in most nuke-focused situations you're probably not meleeing so can likely afford to lose TP and just swap them in for maneuvers.

Head: Rawhide Mask, D path (Pet:Macc+20, Pet:Mab+15). Need a very good Herculean augment to beat that. Tali'ah +2 is a more Macc focused option.

Neck: JSE +1 neck. Note that Adad Amulet will beat that until you get to R10+ on the JSE neck.

Body: I don't have Udug Jacket, and I know I'm far from alone. I just use Tali'ah Manteel +2 for a good chunk of pet: Macc. Herculean Vest is an option too.

Hands: Naga Tekko D (Pet: MAcc+20/MAB+20). Like Rawhide Mask, requires a damn good Herc augment to beat it. Again, Tali'ah +2 is also a possibility for a good chunk of pet: Macc.
[+]
By Aerix 2020-08-04 02:35:58
Link | Citer | R

To add to that, Kyrene's Earring and augmented Handler's Earring +1 both provide Pet: Magic Accuracy +15 as well and might be more accessible options than the two in my set. As not everyone can pick Burana Earring due to SMN needs and not everyone has a group to do Omen bosses.
[+]
By EchoBlue 2020-08-04 08:12:05
Link | Citer | R

Anyway, thanks to your advice I managed to get some magic evasion for all 5 pieces - 22, 22, 23, 24, 25. It seems to have worked that way - 15 to about 30 at a time.

I used 3 and half stacks and the first stack didn't land anything useful. I wonder who got all 25 - at the current rate I'd need more than 1,000 stones.

I noticed that DEF, mag. evasion and evasion showed up the least throughout the process. Lots 25 ACC and ATK, those are super frequent. Of all, mag. evasion was the most elusive. I got 25 evasion and DEF multiple times, but 25 mag. evasion only once.

Asura.Gotenn said: »
This may sound odd, but I found that if I go through 15-20 stones and I don't see a single augment for the one I'm going after, I leave and come back another day. I have nothing but anecdotal evidence for this, but there has got to be some kind of pattern where one augment type is the "preferred" for whatever reason during that trading session.
[+]
By Ermah 2020-08-05 17:14:01
Link | Citer | R

Are the Master and Hybrid TP sets up to date on the guide? I don't see any Malignance pieces added, but the Su5 weapon is there, so I was a bit confused.
 Sylph.Seidell
Serveur: Sylph
user: Seidell
By Sylph.Seidell 2020-08-05 17:22:28
Link | Citer | R

Ermah said: »
Are the Master and Hybrid TP sets up to date on the guide? I don't see any Malignance pieces added, but the Su5 weapon is there, so I was a bit confused.

Aerix has a post on the previous page:

A few questions:
1) Howling Fist. I have a R15 Kenkonken, so generally I use Stringing Pummel and don't really feel the need to obsess over ideal HF Herculean augments that I wouldn't use for anything else. But when I do use HF (like in Dyna where I'm currently working on leveling up a now R18 Xiucoatl C, so don't have the luxury of KKK's SP damage+), what are the best non-Herc options? I do have strong WSD Herc helm/feet (without relevant attribute stats) in my current set that might still be better than alternatives.

I have access to all relevant non-Herc gear (Abj+1, Su3+1, all JSE gear, etc.), though I wouldn't be super excited to R15 a Unity piece just for HF purposes.

My current quickly thrown together set, please suggest any (non-Herculean) improvements :)
ItemSet 374689
Herculean Helm: WSD+9% Acc+14 Atk+15 (and Macc/MAB+20)
Herculean Boots: WSD+7% MND+6 Acc+6 Atk+6 (and Macc/MAB+11)

If you have it, the JSE neck +1/+2 is typically BiS if you are getting enough Attack buffs to cap out PDL, which isn't too hard thanks to HF's natural bonus.

Then: Brutal Earring instead of Ishvara, Gere Ring instead of Regal, Tali'ah body +2, Moonbow +1, DA on cape.

Multiattack does amazing things with HF and is typically always worth stacking over other stats, although WSD is still a decent substitute if you don't have TA Herc.

2) Any suggestions for a good "hybrid" master TP/pet tanking set? I want my turtle automaton to not take huge damage, but I also don't want to totally turtle up and have no DPS gear. I'm thinking stuff that's dangerous enough that going 'master only' TP gear would result in puppet HP struggles (or constant reliance on repair), or puppet losing hate way too fast due to taking a ton of damage.

ItemSet 374699

This set with Pet: PDT on the cape will cap maton PDT with double AP and a Light maneuver--which are imo necessary as you don't want your maton to lose all its DT whenever you swap gear to WS. It also gives a good amount of maton acc, capped Pet: Haste (if you add some on the cape) and some Pet: Enmity. If you are going to melee alongside your maton you might as well make use of Kenkonken's AM3 to let it deal some damage to keep hate. Heyoka + Malignance also provide a good safety net via high MEVA and DT. You can use nothing but Malignance if you don't care about maton damage, however.

Handler's Earring provides Acc for both you and the maton once augmented.

Rings and Telos are up to personal preference. I just went with Dring and C. Palug for showcasing purposes in case you are fighting something with dangerous AoE. But there's nothing wrong with using Gere+Niqmaddu instead if you want more multiattack to DD faster, although it'll make it harder for your maton to keep hate. Alternatively you could use two Varar Rings +1 to provide bonuses for both you and your maton, if Acc is an issue.

3) Su4/5 weapon (C path) - does "Automaton: Special attack damage + x%" apply to anything other than pet weapon skills? i.e., does it affect pet ranged attacks (which I think have always been some sort of "JA" and not a typical ranged attack)? Barrage? Nukes?

Yes, it affects WSs, Ranged Attacks, Shield Bash and Barrage. It does not affect nukes, but the Pet: MACC on Xiucoatl is still very valuable.

EchoBlue said: »
Thanks. Another stack gone and, well no 25 magic evasion, not a single one.

I will do just 20 stones at a time at most and see. This is rather frustrating. After certain number of stones, can't SE just let us pick?

Asura.Gotenn said: »
This may sound odd, but I found that if I go through 15-20 stones and I don't see a single augment for the one I'm going after, I leave and come back another day. I have nothing but anecdotal evidence for this, but there has got to be some kind of pattern where one augment type is the "preferred" for whatever reason during that trading session.

Is there a particular reason you're trying for Pet: MEVA on Taeon? If it's just because of String Theory I would advise against it and try to make Pet: Accuracy/Double Attack/Damage Taken Taeon instead for Bruiser maton tanking purposes. The guide hasn't been updated in a long time and I would kinda consider it deprecated with regard to gear sets as there's been a lot of gearing discussion since then.

Pet: MEVA is certainly not bad, but such a Taeon tank is essentially just for turtle tanking anyway, which you can use Rao +1 for. MEVA does provide some safety against nukes and status effects, but when it comes down to it that rarely makes a difference for the maton. DT- gear, Steam Jacket and Mana Jammers typically provide enough survivability against pretty much any kind of nuking, especially if you are wearing Rao +1 and the maton has crazy amounts of HP. Even a Chainspell is typically no problem or easily fixed via Repair.

And as far as status effects go there's really only Doom, Curse, HP Down, Amnesia, Petrify, massive Poison and rarely Gravity to worry about. Doom, Curse and HP Down are generally so accurate that your maton will never resist them even with MEVA (the latter two can be removed via Repair with the AF boots). Amnesia seems to naturally wear off pretty quickly on matons even without MEVA. Petrify, Poison and Gravity are typically a non-issue if you bring enough oils to alternate AF boots Repair and Maintenance.

All other status effects have pretty much zero effect on maton tanking anyway. For example, Paralysis does nothing but stop its melee attacks (which are negligible when turtling anyway), but will never stop a Provoke or Flash. On the other hand, the HP+ on Rao+1 will reduce the amount of Enmity your maton loses with each hit and generally provides more safety against all kinds of incoming heavy damage such as Hundred Fists+Enspells.

I've personally never tanked anything in this game where I regretted not having MEVA Taeon. But that's just my personal opinion/experience.
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-08-05 17:34:47
Link | Citer | R

Aerix's quoted sets from the last page (while very helpful), were focused on (1) Howling Fist, and (2) a set capping pet DT- and then focusing on master DPS (with some pet enmity).

That's a bit different than Ermah's question. And to answer that...

Outside of Kenkonken AM3 up where Malignance is more competitive, I wouldn't expect Malignance gear to challenge previous BiS for Master DPS purposes (outside of maybe hands/feet if you don't have solid Herculean augments), unless you wanted a very high acc set.

Nor does Malignance do anything for pets if you mean "hybrid" in the PUP-specific sense of master+puppet both DDing, so you wouldn't really see Malignance in that set (which would instead use stuff like Su3 gear, relic+3 body, or some Tali'ah +2 pieces)

Now, if you mean "hybrid" in the more general FFXI-wide sense of a set that shores up your defensive stats while remaining pretty good for DPS, then yeah, Malignance is great. In fact, Malignance is so good for Meva/DT- that it's a very reasonable suggestion to take the relatively modest DPS hit in exchange for those significant benefits and use it as a more full-time TP set. That's pretty much what I do, using all 4/5 of the Malignance pieces I have as my default Master-only TP gear (especially since I do have KKK so will usually have AM3 up).
By Ermah 2020-08-05 17:48:27
Link | Citer | R

Aerix's quoted sets from the last page (while very helpful), were focused on (1) Howling Fist, and (2) a set capping pet DT- and then focusing on master DPS (with some pet enmity).

That's a bit different than Ermah's question. And to answer that...

Outside of Kenkonken AM3 up where Malignance is more competitive, I wouldn't expect Malignance gear to challenge previous BiS for Master DPS purposes (outside of maybe hands/feet if you don't have solid Herculean augments), unless you wanted a very high acc set.

Nor does Malignance do anything for pets if you mean "hybrid" in the PUP-specific sense of master+puppet both DDing, so you wouldn't really see Malignance in that set (which would instead use stuff like Su3 gear, relic+3 body, or some Tali'ah +2 pieces)

Now, if you mean "hybrid" in the more general FFXI-wide sense of a set that shores up your defensive stats while remaining pretty good for DPS, then yeah, Malignance is great. In fact, Malignance is so good for Meva/DT- that it's a very reasonable suggestion to take the relatively modest DPS hit in exchange for those significant benefits and use it as a more full-time TP set. That's pretty much what I do, using all 4/5 of the Malignance pieces I have as my default Master-only TP gear (especially since I do have KKK so will usually have AM3 up).

Why do you use Heyoka gear in the Hybrid set? Isn't the goal to get TP as fast as possible, and the Heyoka doesn't add any STP, DA or TA. Would it be better to wear one pet piece that adds pet STP/DA and one master piece with TA/STP on it instead?
By Nariont 2020-08-05 17:57:33
Link | Citer | R

gotta cap pet gear haste somehow, and heyoka's the only real way to do that without hurting masters DPS, as much anyway, its still a decent loss. But head/legs/pet haste back, with the rest being more master focused is probably the best compromise to be made for a "hybrid DPS" route
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2020-08-05 18:08:39
Link | Citer | R

(went away for a minute and Nariont had answered before I posted - but yeah, what he said)

You want to be sure you're capping pet equipment haste at 26%. A couple Heyoka pieces is a good way to do that, on gear that also has great master and pet acc, and very high crit rate is something too. Becomes less important if using Ohtas (since that comes with 10% pet haste), but that's sub-optimal DPS to Kenkonken or a B path Xiucoatl (hell, probably also to a master-only Karambit build).

For pet gear haste, your main sources that aren't pet-only gear are:
- Heyoka/+1 gear (26% total from 5/5 +1 set, how convenient!)
- Tali'ah +2 feet (7%)
- Klouskap Sash/+1 (8%/9%, giving up a lot of master DPS from losing Moonbow +1)
- Ambuscade cape (10%, but TPing in that is also at the expense of something like master DA+10 or STP+10)
- Ohtas (10%)

TBH though, these days I find I've gone back to just gearing for:

1) Master-only TP for max DPS - maximizing master WS damage tends to beat trying to balance master+puppet DPS, especially if you're getting decent buffs. Hard to justify gimping master to make it a more even damage split between master and puppet, you'll lose more total DPS from master (mostly in the form of stronger WS) than it's worth.

2) "Hybrid" of pet tanking (Cap pet:DT-, sprinkle in a little pet enmity+) and otherwise master-focused. This is when I care about trying to get a harder hitting mob to focus on the puppet while I do my punching.

3) Full pet builds - whether the puppet is tanking (backline master), DDing (full DPS or a "bruiser" DD/tank setup), or nuking.
By Ermah 2020-08-05 18:36:55
Link | Citer | R

I see, thank you!
By Ermah 2020-08-05 19:22:34
Link | Citer | R

Ah, one of the appealing aspects of puppetmaster to me was both DD puppet with DD master to create skillchains. Something I cannot do as well as I like on Beastmaster. I mean I can, but it doesn't flow as well as I like. I will be making those sets too, but my priorities are on a different playstyle first. Even if its not optimal. I can clear content on my Beastmaster if need be, this job is for fun.

What attachments would you recommend for a sharpshot model puppet in a party with weaponskill spammers? What attachments would you recommend avoiding?

I had troubles making my pet weaponskill in that scenario.
By Nariont 2020-08-05 19:30:45
Link | Citer | R

thing to note about the puppet in a ws spam scenerio, is that you cant use either the sc attachment, or the stp one, as itll either lock up the auto indefinately or cause it to favor possibly bad WS instead. Someone else can likely give out a good attachment load out but that's typically where the problem is in regards to the auto not WSing, sucks to lose the STP attachments too but, how it goes.
By suuhja 2020-08-05 19:33:50
Link | Citer | R

If people are spamming weaponskills, your automaton should probably spam weaponskills too, which means avoiding speedloaders (and probably inhibitors.)

So just the typical DPS options like OF 1/2, tc 1/2, coiler 1/2, truesights, attuner, flame holder, magniplugs, possibly a few more of the wind attachments like barrage turbine since you're locked out of several of the fire attachments in this type of setup.
By Ermah 2020-08-07 23:38:53
Link | Citer | R

Hello, I was wondering what kind of attachments and frame you use to solo Lilith on Normal or Difficult with Overdrive?

Also what gear you feel is required?

Thank you.
By suuhja 2020-08-08 00:57:35
Link | Citer | R

Hello, I was wondering what kind of attachments and frame you use to solo Lilith on Normal or Difficult with Overdrive?

Also what gear you feel is required?

Thank you.

Aerix discusses Lilith E and N (complete with video) on page 31 of this guide.

You'll see in the video that N is a close call. I don't know that D gets solo'd.
By Ermah 2020-08-12 02:06:32
Link | Citer | R

What kind of numbers do you guys normally hit with your Arcuballistas with/without buffs?
By Aerix 2020-08-12 20:38:29
Link | Citer | R

What kind of numbers do you guys normally hit with your Arcuballistas with/without buffs?

When dual meleeing or when pet burning? The latter massively benefits Arcu because you can afford to optimize for pet WS damage. If you're meleeing yourself it's not worth swapping gear for the maton and gearswap can't detect it for precast.
By Ermah 2020-08-12 23:54:45
Link | Citer | R

When dual meleeing or when pet burning? The latter massively benefits Arcu because you can afford to optimize for pet WS damage. If you're meleeing yourself it's not worth swapping gear for the maton and gearswap can't detect it for precast.

Not really sure what you're trying to say, I'm just asking what kind of actual numbers you see on the screen when your pet uses arcuballista in weaponskill gear when you have geomancer/corsair buffs and when you don't....
By Aerix 2020-08-13 08:16:25
Link | Citer | R

That was my point. Since you were previously talking about meleeing alongside your Automaton it's important to know that in this scenario swapping into pet WS gear isn't worth it as it'll reduce your master DPS too much. Therefore you'll see a significant difference in pet WS damage between pure pet burning and when you are meleeing with your maton.

That said, Arcu is typically always the strongest WS for the maton if the monster's DEF isn't too high, otherwise Armor Shatterer will be better due to its very consistent damage.

I can post exact numbers later on when I have the time to log into the game, but if I recall correctly without WS gear the maton did something around 13k-15k Arcus with buffs/debuffs, 8k-11k Armor Shatterers if unbuffed. Fully buffed/debuffed when pet burning you'll be seeing 25k+ Arcus with the right gear.

Though take this with a grain of salt, I might be entirely misremembering.
[+]
 Siren.Itachi
Serveur: Siren
By Siren.Itachi 2020-08-13 10:13:01
Link | Citer | R

Kinda weird question but how many stacks of Automaton Oil +3 are ya'll taking to Omen/Dyna D runs? If you're in a melee DPS party and you're focusing on master DPS, how do you handle the automaton taking aoe damage? Would you rather pop a light maneuver with the auto-repair kit attachment or just throw as many Repairs as necessary to not affect DPS so much?

I'm kinda stingy with Inventory space and gil but I do realize that there's a performance impact by using light maneuver for self healing over another maneuver for auto dps. Looking for opinion's
By Nariont 2020-08-13 11:11:44
Link | Citer | R

Generally 1 or 2 stacks will last you, assuming you have ARK on the regens usually enough outside of real heavy aoes/frequent mid ones. And most setups benefit from having 1 light active due to OF
By Aerix 2020-08-14 11:26:45
Link | Citer | R

Here are the WS numbers for the maton.

- Grape Daifuku
- Light/Wind/Fire for Armor Shatterer, Fire/Fire/Wind for Arcuballista
- No Inhibitors/Speedloaders
- Flame Holder, Attuner, double Magniplug, TS4, Truesights, double OFs
- Dia 2, Rostam Beast/Drachen, Idris BoG/EA Frailty when testing buffed damage

No buffs, no pet gear:

No buffs, with pet gear:

With buffs, no pet gear:

With buffs, with pet gear:

(no, it's not the same screenshot as above, Armor Shatterer just caps out easily)

Of course, depending on TP Arcuballista can go much higher damage-wise. The above screenshots were as close to 1k before gear as possible.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 53 54 55 ... 94 95 96