Beastmaster Pet Tank Option For Omen Bosses.

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Beast Master » Beastmaster pet tank option for omen bosses.
Beastmaster pet tank option for omen bosses.
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
Serveur: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2018-02-07 13:58:17
Link | Citer | R

Hello all!

Great guide going on for beast. Want to thank Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk for listing out the different tank options and their respective strengths/weaknesses.

My question. Can anyone recommend pet tank options that work best for them. This query is particular to mid-boss and boss fights.

Thanks in advance!
By clearlyamule 2018-02-07 14:18:04
Link | Citer | R

Automaton...

But really it's not the easiest keeping hate on a few of the targets while keeping master safe and keeping pet alive. Candi and crab should have the best survivability though not sure how well will keep hate.

What exactly do you mean by tank? Like what else are you planning to bring with you in terms of jobs?
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2018-02-07 14:24:05
Link | Citer | R

Well, bored of the same ole same ole Omen runs. Pup was fun, but I want to tank on beast now.

In terms of jobs coming with? Mostly anni rngs, idris geos, capped bards. I never run without a party that has capped buffs.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2018-02-07 14:44:58
Link | Citer | R

Psh capped buffs why no pet buffs!?!

Seriously though jugs aren't going to have an easy time keeping hate off fully buffed DDs especially when you are trying to avoid AoEs yourself. Also a few bosses will likely flat out murder your jugs.

Candi would likely the best defensively that can actually do a decent enough dmg to be semi competitive in the hate department so I'd go with that if you want to try. Craver, Kyou, Kei and Gin are likely to be problems though
 Asura.Xenomorph
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Xenomorph 2018-02-07 14:55:09
Link | Citer | R

Enmity issues wont be as bad if you're pet is tanking for a group of smns. Ramuh or ifrit dying is more of a dps loss than a party member death, Bst gets pet enmity from jp/gears but idk how well crab (or other tank pet) could keep hate off of smn pets ( for non-Astral conduit situations). The only issue I see is having to get in range to use reward/sic (view sync..pain-sync..Interference..ugh). Phalanx, SS, and/or scherzo can help deal with it though.
 Quetzalcoatl.Senaki
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Senaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Senaki 2018-02-07 15:08:11
Link | Citer | R

Believe me, I'd love for Bst to have a function in end game again. But atm it is sadly just not feasible. Even if SE had not nerfed our "Ready" range, our roles in parties has been crushed by Blu and Smn. Prior to ambuscade gears being available, Bst was the go-to job for AoE-spaming; and prior to the "ready" range nerf we were used in most end game bosses. The reality of most content now is that our damage will be out done by a Smn, even if we are at an equally geared tier. That and since we are forced to stand in range of the bosses for "ready", we face different Enfeebling magics/AoE attacks that the Smns ignore; making us incredibly more hindered than Smns.

Basically, unless SE boosts Bst in some function, whether it be: pet enmity control, pet damage, player damage taken, range of ready; we're going to remain seen as a "weaker blu" or "weaker smn".
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2018-02-07 15:44:39
Link | Citer | R

Enmity will be a problem. BST pets inherently have ZERO good tools for generating Enmity.
Its almost entirely Damage Dealt vs Damage taken.

All enmity tools are on the master. Its not hard to have bst pet tanking when solo, and when master is engaged.

The primary tool ofcourse is snarl. But the master cannot stay out of range to use this. If you are paying attention, and skilled enough, you can run in and out of range for most bosses. Using abilities or spells from your support job, and snarling the hate to your pet.
To do this you would need a good Master Enmity set.

ItemSet 356576

And Pet Enmity Set:

ItemSet 356577

Using /blu and spamming cheap enmity spells from a distance, then running in to snarl enmity to pet is probably most effective way to keep hate on pet.

I'm not sure how often to use the Pet Enmity set in this situation. If you put on Pet Enmity set, you are losing your pet damage reduction, and vice versa. I'm not certain if it helps, but I equip pet enmity set when using snarl.

I often use heyoka on bst as a hybrid tp/meva set to melee in when i want pet to tank and I don't want AoE magic damage/enfeebles. However, if you are trying to tank something BIG, you will be staying mostly in pet -dt gear (physical, magical or switching back and forth). Like Puppetmaster, this is one of the best ways to retain enmity: NOT taking damage. This may present an accuracy problem for generating hate depending on target.

Even though pet damage reduction caps at -87.5%, bst cannot achieve this outside abyssea.
BST can achieve -70% magic damage on pet with gear and separately 82% -PDT with some reduction of -mdt. This can be helped a bit with pet magic evasion bonus on taeon hands/feet or pet defense from acro armor in a few slots. These perfect sets are difficult to obtain. I'm about 2% away still and I've worked at it alot.
this does not include the 3% bonus from vorseals.

Its certainly more challenging than using a pup tank, but I think it could be feasible for some Omen bosses. Rangers would steal hate in a heartbeat. but smn's would be fine. avatars might take hate, but you can easily let them die or dismiss them.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2018-02-07 16:06:16
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Senaki said: »
Believe me, I'd love for Bst to have a function in end game again. But atm it is sadly just not feasible. Even if SE had not nerfed our "Ready" range, our roles in parties has been crushed by Blu and Smn. Prior to ambuscade gears being available, Bst was the go-to job for AoE-spaming; and prior to the "ready" range nerf we were used in most end game bosses. The reality of most content now is that our damage will be out done by a Smn, even if we are at an equally geared tier. That and since we are forced to stand in range of the bosses for "ready", we face different Enfeebling magics/AoE attacks that the Smns ignore; making us incredibly more hindered than Smns.

uhmmm I'm really not sure what you are talking about. I feel like you are playing a different game.

Ambuscade gear does not make blu a better AoE damage dealer than BST. I have Jhakri +2 set on my blu. Amalric +1 set will do better magic damage. I AoE quite well, but my BST does more damage faster w/ less fuss. I can spam 10k AoE damage every 10s on bst. Blu only a few spells are stronger, and there is alot more maintenance to do, so the pace is slower.

BST is plenty relevant in end game. Which endgame do you think it is not? Divergence? Ambuscade? Omen?
BST kicks butt in all of them. if you want to clear large swaths of mobs in omen, nothing does it faster than bst, unless its 2 or 3 bsts.

Have you not seen how to use Falcorr for Unleash to hit 80k damage per hit? How about magic bursting 45k w/ Fluffy Bredo? BST has several niche ways for big numbers like that.

It is not too terrible to run in and out of range on bst to use ready moves and other pet commands/abilities. its manageable, but we'll probably need a healer to keep us alive sometimes.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2018-02-07 16:34:29
Link | Citer | R

As far as which pet to use to tank which NM (original question not really answered yet):

Glassy Gorger:
this guy is so easy it probably doesn't matter much. this guy is only a challenge if you are foolish enough to have buffs on for him to absorb.

Glassy Craver: You want to /nin to protect against View Sync and Carousel. Its hard to get shadows up in between if you get caught by view sync though. I've had plenty of trouble w/ this just as a dd, but its completely doable if you pay attention and time things right. I've gone entire fights with him w/out getting hit, and I've also gotten killed by him over and over. Not sure if there are any enmity tools when /nin though.

Glassy thinker: Everyone's Favorite!! I suggest using Vickie/Kiyomaru to tank this one. My reasoning: Subtle Blow. The more you reduce his tp, the more time you have to get between his tp moves. Yoko might be good also (disease + self healing).

FU: This one is so much fun on pup. Frankly you will lose a pet on this guy. I'm tempted to try tanking w/ Yoko but that might be my bias. Its mainly because Yoko has highest evasion of any pet. Usually this is a pet Special Ability Zerg fight. Unleash, Astral Conduit, overdrive. you time it right, and he melts.

Kin: Honey/Candi, or Yoko/Mosquito I'd select these for their resistance to darkness elemental. they both take reduced darkness damage. Honey is generally more robust and has a good physical and well as magical ready moves w/ enfeebles. Mosquito has fantastic enfeebles, good evasion and self healing.
Maybe Bredo or Arthur. If his melee attacks are blunt, Bredo has a pretty awesome advantage, and Arthur has2 fantastic debuffs for big NM"s both offensive and defensive.
but you need to have a backup tank, and be REALLY careful of your call beast/bestial loyalty timers. Target/11th Dimension + death sentence make this guy a tricky one to tank. You will need to replace pet and re-establish enmity.

Gin: makes me wish we had a pet which resisted earth damage. Probably Snapweed again for the resistances and having both physical and magical ready moves w/ good damage on them.

Kyou & Kei

pattern is getting monotonous. Caturae moves are mostly darkness which lends one to want Snapweed or Mosquito.
For Kyou it might be nice to use water magic (snapweed) for the eye changing thing. for 100 fists from Kei it might be good to have Mosquito or Raaz. the guard and couter for Zealous snort is a nice counter to 100 fists.

IF the damage i just too much for snapweed, can move to pure turtling Crab.
By clearlyamule 2018-02-07 17:33:26
Link | Citer | R

Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk said: »
Have you not seen how to use Falcorr for Unleash to hit 80k damage per hit?
While technically true that's a huge misrepresentation and you know it. It's 80k per 2 ready uses

As far as specific bosses the reasons why I pointed out some will be a problem especially with using non pet DDs. And pet dds are almost expendable co-tanks in a way

Craver: As you mentioned view sync and getting hate /nin. It's going to be difficult to outDD enough to keep hate on it's own but impalement is also a full enmity reset which gives even single pup tanks a issues

Gin- Zero hour hate reset combine with not wanting to be close enough to quickly get in for a ready move. Mostly though break/breakga is super annoying and can grind things to a halt during earth phase if you can't keep curing it.

Kei- For most part fairly not dangerous however getting hate when shields are up will be tough. And breaking skillchains to get hate is also not beuno. That said rng/geo/brd setup probably wouldn't be the best regardless. Also dancer fullers can still kill pet unless you can time pulling away. Decent chance just because of timers your pet will be lower to begin with (unless you want to mulsim right before each time) and if not curse will get you.

Kyou- HF is pretty dangerous as mentioned though honestly not the most dangerous. It's just always nuked me pets harder than other stuff and are pretty much perpetually cursed thanks to the ability and it being an additional effect. Bravado will flat out kill pet unless you again using a full pet strat and line them up or can do some cool timing on avatar hate pulls. But I find the most annoying part is repeated enpetrify. Really hard to get anything done when you cure it 1 second and 4 seconds later bam again. Slows so much down

As far as earth resistance while it's true we don't have any 119 ones with enough to have an sdt we likely have some that are somewhat resistant. jps have gone thru and done a ton of qualitative elemental resistance testing via skillchain modifiers. There's a thread over on bg for it. And while I don't think jugs themselves have been tested given this is generally a species/subspecies thing it seems likely it should apply (though some stats don't seem to) and the 119 ones have been put into the pet thread over there for reference. In this case acuex and antlion should be the most resistant to earth though ladybug, snapweed, eft, and grasshopper come close. Actually that gives me an idea. Wonder what kind of enmity the straight debuffs have.

Note a lot of these problems can be eliminated or at least mitigated with a co-tank (or just throwing all the pets at it and they all dd/tank lol). If wanting to go this route would highly recommend at least a secondary tank and ideally stick to pet dmg
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2018-02-07 17:34:18
Link | Citer | R

Thanks for all the support! I'll keep this in mind for omen. Perhaps my pup mule will join me for atleast the boss runs haha.
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2018-02-08 10:52:25
Link | Citer | R

clearlyamule said: »
While technically true that's a huge misrepresentation and you know it. It's 80k per 2 ready uses

I know what you are saying, but its not a misrepresentation. Its all about context. I don't expect bst to be better than smn at the slow BIG shots. but we can play the same game.

You can blast 50k w/out unleash w/ falcorr about as often as a SMN can do a BP. not quite, as you are closer to a 27s counter than 22. Sure some smn's are at 20s. I Had a really fun Maju farming run where the dd's were 1x bst, and 1x smn w/ geo and cor support and that is exactly how the damage was going. both would throw their big punches on close to the same pace. 50k backheel before unleash.

Bst has narrower options for those big smn like punches, but we can do it. clearlyamule =/= senaki right?

Also the time for throwing fantod > fight > backheel under unleash I think is still shorter than getting 2x Tegmina Buffet. even if you put the fight command in the middle.

As far as gin goes, my group always stands in range for Zero Hour. to manage the hate mechanics. we usually have a bst to ready right after it to give the pups time to get hate back. and a smn ready w/ AoE curing so as not to pull hate w/ the AoE cure.

Craver: I have not had trouble with hate and Impalement on pup. then again, I'm usually in a pet party so maybe just didn't notice. I'm not sure how well /blu's defensive spells would mitigate view sync/carousel which are the only threats to the master here. It really depends on how well you can keep hate on pet w/ /blu and running in to snarl vs needing useful ready moves for enmity.

Kyou: yeah Bravado you would need to have at least 3x pets in conal range to survive it. bst, luopan, smn at the very least... if you had 5x pet players w/ pets in range, its pretty easily managed. kinda like zero-hour. 5 pets w/out masters would be better probably.

but you are right, it ends up being a case of having a pure pet strategy, in which case, its easier to have a pup tank it. Safer, more stable, more options.

thanx for mentioning the bg thread. I want to take a look at it. it would be really great to find a testing method for ready move enmity generation.
By clearlyamule 2018-02-08 12:57:16
Link | Citer | R

clearlyamule said: »

I know what you are saying, but its not a misrepresentation. Its all about context. I don't expect bst to be better than smn at the slow BIG shots. but we can play the same game.

Also the time for throwing fantod > fight > backheel under unleash I think is still shorter than getting 2x Tegmina Buffet. even if you put the fight command in the middle.

Well that's kind of what I meant by technically true but a misrepresentation. It gives the impression you are outdoing smn move for move when you leave out the fact you are using 2. Now if they timing is somewhat different we can kind of get into that for dps talk though should probably use a better single target move than Tegmina like AM3 pig on fire would probably be best comparison or maybe even raptor/bird jesus for skillchains too. But would need more firm timing as generally speaking while animations take different times and how long before the dmg shows up is different I wasn't aware of any major differences between how soon you could use another ready command. That said might not take a little time to do since just smashing the ready button is actually counterproductive. But just want people to be clear you aren't outdpsing smn zergs here while also doing it for twice as long because that's what it makes it sound like.

Bst has narrower options for those big smn like punches, but we can do it. clearlyamule =/= senaki right?
Without 2hrs sure. But I mean no one is under the impression smn is a great dd without AC lol. No idea who that is

Craver: I have not had trouble with hate and Impalement on pup. then again, I'm usually in a pet party so maybe just didn't notice. I'm not sure how well /blu's defensive spells would mitigate view sync/carousel which are the only threats to the master here. It really depends on how well you can keep hate on pet w/ /blu and running in to snarl vs needing useful ready moves for enmity.
a single pup will actually have a lot of problems to. Did that a couple of times and holy hell it was chaos. But 2 was pretty easy as long as no one was doing crazy amounts more. cocoon helps as would switching to master dt but they still hurt not sure you'd reliably be able to eat the combo though if careful with range just sync is fine though would need some healing. Might still be able to /nin and have the rngs decoy you and then snarl?

On others yeah we keep circling back to use more pets. Which really bst could do fine for since basically you got a ton of co-tanks. But that's also why I asked setups earlier because I had a feeling he might want to use it as a sole pet and tank with player dds. Honestly a lot of these problems were a lot less of a problem prenerf. Actually having a jug pet tank in content was pretty fun and not terribly complicated. I seem to remember people doing vagary bosses like that. Did a few escha nms more or less like that or at least co-tanking with other jugs. For just DD nerf wasn't too terrible since really as long as you don't waste charges you can more or less run in whenever but for tanking sometimes you just gotta run in.

Actually gave some enmity testing some thought... and it sounds like less than fun than normal enmity testing. A lot of it ends up hinging on if heel/stay has any effect which it might
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2018-02-08 15:44:14
Link | Citer | R

pretty sure heel/stay generate enmity for master
By clearlyamule 2018-02-08 17:23:56
Link | Citer | R

OH yeah that should generate 1 at a minimum. I'm more worried that it might do wonky things to the pets because SE never considered things like this.