users online
Forum » FFXI » Ambuscade » Ambuscade Volume 2 Discussion - January 2017
Ambuscade Volume 2 Discussion - January 2017
 Asura.Hitome
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Hitome 2017-01-11 13:35:25
Link | Citer | R

In an attempt to break away from the megathread we have stickied which has become quite long, I'd like to start creating two separate threads each month.

Here is the data from the other thread that has been gathered thus far. Sorry if I missed something but feel free to reiterate/quote below.

Regarding skillsets

Gush o' Goo - AoE damage and maybe encumbrance (?)
Boiling Point - Conal ACC down (?)
Amorphic Spikes - Single target damage (?)
Amorphic Scythe - Single target damage (?)

Has a slow, evasion down, and defense down aura applied at around =< 17'.

Asura.Saevel said: »
First is a smooth head where they take regular physical and reduced (usually) magic damage. Then it has the "spiky" head mode where it takes dramatically reduced physical damage but dramatically more magic damage. I was doing ~15K Requiescat's on him during spiky head mode.

Regarding strategy

Fenrir.Niflheim said: »
Did VD last night, in a PUG. we averaged 5min kills with 1500-1700 total dps.

party: thf thf blu pld whm geo.

we really didn't do anything other then spam cdc and m stab/rudra's. our damage seemed more consistent and the pairing of the ws lead to constant sc.

Phoenix.Brixy said: »
Bring a RDM and use Inundation... We are hitting almost capped light skillchains + huge magic bursts to kill it in 2~ mins.

Ruaumoko said: »
Vol.2 is stupidly easy.

Just bring magic damage and physical damage to counter-act his 'mode' changes.

Asura.Mewwgoat said: »
had a different run this morning, no nukers. no concentrating, just 2 blus, run drk sch and geo for buffs, all spamming cdc/dimid/torcleave. average time was under 4 minutes on VD

Verda said: »
Messed around solo in Normal, one Flan type mob no adds.
Most Flaming crush with no support did 9k to 16k. Volt strike about 11k to 15k, a few pred claws did 14k, except for this one oddity in the entire fight I can't explain:

Maybe hitting it when it uses special attack? NO idea. On norm difficulty it just spams a few tp moves and uses T2 and T3 aoe. It also gets auras at some point, evasion down, def down, and slow. Magic bps did less to it than physical BPs which seemed odd for a flan.

Asura.Mewwgoat said: »
Verda said: »
Messed around solo in Normal, one Flan type mob no adds.
Most Flaming crush with no support did 9k to 16k. Volt strike about 11k to 15k, a few pred claws did 14k, except for this one oddity in the entire fight I can't explain.

Maybe hitting it when it uses special attack? NO idea. On norm difficulty it just spams a few tp moves and uses T2 and T3 aoe. It also gets auras at some point, evasion down, def down, and slow. Magic bps did less to it than physical BPs which seemed odd for a flan.

at a point Goes will have a small set of spikes on its head, we noticed takes much less physical damage and more magical during that time.
edit: we just been going in and doing double darkness and mb'ing it down without any other concern thus far and no issues on VD. set up was pld cor drk (cdc>wf>quietus) blu blm rdm

Regarding amorph locations

North of the HP in Foret de Hennetiel are a bunch of amorphs.

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
There are worms and leeches at the entrance of Escha - Zi'Tah. Half of them won't yield exp but there are more than enough that do.

Leeches are also available near the Foret de Hennetiel home point.

Skjalfeirdotter said: »
Proto-Waypoint West Ronfaure / Survival Guide Warp to Bostaunieux Oubliette for Bloodsucker leeches also works.

DanielH said: »
Unity Warp > Den of Rancor takes you to plenty of Hecteye and Slimes.
[+]
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
Serveur: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2017-01-11 13:52:54
Link | Citer | R

There are worms and leeches at the entrance of Escha - Zi'Tah. Half of them won't yield exp but there are more than enough that do.

Leeches are also available near the Foret de Hennetiel home point.
[+]
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2017-01-11 14:09:23
Link | Citer | R

Proto-Waypoint West Ronfaure / Survival Guide Warp to Bostaunieux Oubliette for Bloodsucker leeches also works.
 Phoenix.Brixy
Guide Maker
Serveur: Phoenix
user: Brixy
By Phoenix.Brixy 2017-01-11 14:16:53
Link | Citer | R

Bring a RDM and use Inundation... We are hitting almost capped light skillchains + huge magic bursts to kill it in 2~ mins.

We are trying to replicate the huge damage spikes we were seeing but can't seem to figure it out. I think it has to do with hitting it while it's casting in a particular phase.

It seems to start in a neutral phase where physical and magic are both reduced. Then it switches to a spiked mode where magic damage is increased and then it switches back to the regular mode but physical damage seems to increase at that point.

This was the first time we noticed it:

This was the 2nd time it happened:

It seems to be when you catch it during tp moves or casting?
By DanielH 2017-01-11 14:26:07
Link | Citer | R

Unity Warp > Den of Rancor takes you to plenty of Hecteye and Slimes.
 Ragnarok.Terazuma
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Terazuma
By Ragnarok.Terazuma 2017-01-11 14:59:07
Link | Citer | R

Done this with koga SAM WHM BLM GEO joachim(marches) qultada.

Non-spike: do 6 step skillchain, usually takes him into spike mode after it finishes.

Spike: do 3 step (kasha > shoha > fudo, double light) and burst fire. Important to save meditate/sekkanoki since slow aura is lame.

Usually finish around 27:21... not awful, but not great. Add in more BLMs should make it quick after he changes to spike. Was never in any danger on SAM other than accidentally using berserk and eating an amorphic spike. Use dt gear if you want to be safe.
Administrator
By Rooks 2017-01-11 15:08:49
Link | Citer | R

Stickied.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-01-11 15:44:43
Link | Citer | R

He likes to lock your gear so it's advised melee's spread out a bit, the gear lock is usually 15s or less. We kill it in less then 60s by just spamming CDC on it until it gets the slow aura up, which is the signal that he's changed into magic mode. Then spam Requiescat and he dies very soon afterward. Longest time is waiting for COR rolls which I'd be happy to just skip now. Also Tomahawk works in here, so you can chunk one and the PDT down effect won't be as severe.
 Fenrir.Niflheim
VIP
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Tesahade
By Fenrir.Niflheim 2017-01-11 19:05:41
Link | Citer | R

Did VD last night, in a PUG. we averaged 5min kills with 1500-1700 total dps.

party: thf thf blu pld whm geo.

we really didn't do anything other then spam cdc and m stab/rudra's. our damage seemed more consistent and the pairing of the ws lead to constant sc.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-01-11 19:15:16
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Niflheim said: »
averaged 5min kills

Holy ***that's slow.

Skip out on the PLD, he doesn't do anything dangerous enough to really bother with "tanking". If your using BLU's make sure they know to switch to Requiescat (and have sets) when they see the Slow aura go up. Your GEO should be doing BoG Geo-Frailty + Indi-Haste (counter slow and help any non-BLU's) + Entrust-Fury and Dia II + Distract. WHM does Boost-STR/DEX and whatever bar you feel is sufficient, I'm not sure the element of encumbrance, maybe barstonra to reduce the duration of the accuracy down effect.

I've killed this on BLU, WAR and DRK, it's not hard to spam provided people know to switch WS's when the slow aura goes up.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
Serveur: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2017-01-13 22:44:32
Link | Citer | R

What's the gimmick on this dude? Seen huge damage spikes at times but can't figure out the cause of it.
[+]
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2017-01-14 01:18:15
Link | Citer | R

Tomahawk didn't do much.

Cloud Splitter numbers were pretty nice when he had spikes up.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-01-14 01:58:19
Link | Citer | R

Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
What's the gimmick on this dude? Seen huge damage spikes at times but can't figure out the cause of it.

He's a flan NM, and like virtually all flan NM he has two modes. I mentioned them earlier.

Now the problem with pure magic damage is that one of his moves does magic acc down / magic attack down, think it's boiling point. It also does accuracy down and defense down, so a bunch of status debuffs all at once. So if your hit with those then your magic WS's might not do much damage, especially if your locked in TP set via encumbrance. That is why I recommend using a WS that does magic damage but doesn't have a mDiff term, like Requiescat. And since it takes bonus damage from magic you can setup a SC that ends with Requiescat for some pretty big numbers.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-01-14 02:00:02
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Skarwind said: »
Tomahawk didn't do much.

It's a 30% reduction but as a multiplier. I believe his physical resistance is 50%, so 50 * .7 = 35% reduction instead. A noticeable bonus but it's not going to remove it.
By Darksparksnot 2017-01-14 10:29:26
Link | Citer | R

Requiescat it's not even a magic ws tho.
 Cerberus.Jiko
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2017-01-14 11:31:02
Link | Citer | R

With the added light SC, our blus were still doing more damage spamming CDC than using Requiescat.

While I can't say or not if they had a Requiescat WS set, it's something to note.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-01-14 12:10:34
Link | Citer | R

Darksparksnot said: »
Requiescat it's not even a magic ws tho.

But it is.

Requeiscat deals non-elemental magic damage but use's the physical damage formula instead. It goes through the same calculations as other physical WS but at the very end it's DT / SDT multipliers are done using non-elemental magic instead of slashing physical. Makes it handy for certain situations.

Cerberus.Jiko said: »
With the added light SC, our blus were still doing more damage spamming CDC than using Requiescat.

Something was very very wrong then because CDC ends up droping down to 5~8K at the end while Requiescat skyrockets to ~15K and still makes a SC. I'm betting they figured "it's a ***WS so not going to bother making a set for it" like most BLU's these days do. In the fights we do it's slow aura is up for maybe 15s as it only happens when it's near death due to how fast we're killing it. Fight should be 60s or less.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Terazuma
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Terazuma
By Ragnarok.Terazuma 2017-01-14 12:14:44
Link | Citer | R

CDC > req is darkness. With a good req set, they should be closing darkness SC. If neither are willing to close, its because they dont have a req set.
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2017-01-14 12:32:55
Link | Citer | R

People believe Requiescat helps remove its shield, but am not sure (it might have to be done more than once). What is strange is the wide range of damage Holy II will do... from only a few points of damage to this: http://i.imgur.com/qNWEgoC.png
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-01-14 14:30:15
Link | Citer | R

People believe Requiescat helps remove its shield, but am not sure (it might have to be done more than once). What is strange is the wide range of damage Holy II will do... from only a few points of damage to this: http://i.imgur.com/qNWEgoC.png

What shield... it's a flan not a Cactrai. All Flan NMs have this mechanic, back to the ToAU days. You do lots of physical damage they switch into spiked mode. Deal lots of magic damage and it switches into bald mode.

This iteration just has a slow aura on spiky mode. We use indi-haste and just finish it off quickly.
 Bahamut.Gorion
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Gorion
By Bahamut.Gorion 2017-01-14 14:41:01
Link | Citer | R

realmrazer to resolution = light did well
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2017-01-14 14:43:37
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Saevel said: »

What shield... it's a flan not a Cactrai. All Flan NMs have this mechanic, back to the ToAU days. You do lots of physical damage they switch into spiked mode. Deal lots of magic damage and it switches into bald mode.

This iteration just has a slow aura on spiky mode. We use indi-haste and just finish it off quickly.

Okay
By Zillion 2017-01-14 17:29:34
Link | Citer | R

anyone got a decent req set for war
By Zeak 2017-01-17 06:24:56
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Brixy said: »
It seems to start in a neutral phase where physical and magic are both reduced. Then it switches to a spiked mode where magic damage is increased and then it switches back to the regular mode but physical damage seems to increase at that point.

This is mostly correct, and just to build on it a bit:

The damage you deal in his neutral stat determines what aura he puts up; majority physical damage will proc the Slow, Defense Down, Evasion down aura, and decrease his Magic Resistance. Doing majority magic damage to him puts up his Addle, M. Eva, M. Def down Aura, but increases phys damage by roughly x2. This means for most melee strats, it's best to open with magic damage, and then switch to phys to zerg him down. I believe this might be hard if your melees AA damage can't compete with their Magic WS damage, particularly true if you have a lot of Crit gear or AM up. This is why it might be impractical for some melee set-ups to try to get the Magic Aura up first. COR is a good work-around for this, since they can spam Wildfire, which will almost always outpace their white damage. They can then swap to Savage Spam when the Aura goes up. Or, if your GEO isn't a slob, they can put Malaise up for "real" magic WSs, and then switch to BoG Frailty in a timely manner.

Also, make sure your mages are awake if you're gonna full-time his magic Aura; he can nuke pretty hard. With M. Eva and M. Def down, he can cast Blizzaja for some pretty big numbers. If you're low-manning and have a Trust slot open, Selh'Teus is a good support option to counteract his spell damage. He'll constantly Rejuvenate, healing off some of the AoE damage and feeding you TP to spam more WS. A bonus if the WS you're spamming scales well with the extra TP.

Finally, I tried seeing if he had another Aura, so I used Ranged damage only, but spamming Jishnu just put up his Slow, Def, Eva Aura again. On that note, though, Trueflight also works for the magic damage requirement. In fact, I don't believe he resist any particular element other than Darkness, so anything besides Leaden/Sanguine should be A-OK to spam on his neutral state.

Edit: Hi, I'm stupid. He DOES have a third Aura, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it consistently. This Aura gives Regen, Refresh and Regain to YOU, as he basically curls into a ball and waits for you to kill him. This Aura also makes him take double damage from all sources, so he goes down incredibly fast. As for speculation, I believe this happens when Magic damage is roughly equal to Physical damage given, perhaps within a 5k~ margin of each other. If this is true, this is a very difficult task to coordinate, as I can barely do this with only one other person, carefully watching our damage output of each type. That said, unless someone finds a consistent method, it seems like it's still best to either a.) Use tools/numbers to break through Slow/Phys DT or b.) Set up Addle Aura for low-man phys zergs.

Even then, since it's this late in the month, and he's such a pushover, it's probably not worth looking too much more into. I've called it quits, at least. His Aura appears to be based on a timer rather than on a damage threshold, so most groups can probably bring him down below 50% before it even goes up, making the whole exercise somewhat fruitless. Kind of another of those "SE had a fun idea, but forgot how many tools we have to circumvent mechanics" type of encounters, unfortunately.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-01-17 08:48:16
Link | Citer | R

I just toss a Tomahawk on him, which works btw, and smash his face in, fights take like 2 maybe 3 min. If I can work with another DD we'll attempt a 4-step Radiance.