Random Arguments & Strawmen #15

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Arguments & Strawmen #15
Random Arguments & Strawmen #15
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 46 47 48
 Bismarck.Magnuss
Serveur: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2016-11-29 18:53:19
Link | Citer | R

So I just downloaded an extension on Chrome to change the term "alt-right" to "white supremacy". Sounds like a yep.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-11-29 19:11:58
Link | Citer | R

POT STIRRED
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2016-11-29 19:18:03
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
POT STIRRED
I'LL STIR YOUR POT
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-11-29 19:23:16
Link | Citer | R

YouTube Video Placeholder

This lady sounds like her pot was stirred by one of you two.

also this 10min rant is pretty entertaining.

Trump Feminist, Liberal Lectures its like an early salty Christmas treat.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-11-29 20:06:22
Link | Citer | R

Congratulations. All zero out of zero alt-right posters in here are now offended.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-11-29 20:21:40
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Congratulations. All zero out of zero alt-right posters in here are now offended.

Did Nausi get a free vacation?
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2016-11-29 20:27:26
Link | Citer | R

I wasn't targeting anyone. I just wanted to say it and felt like RT wasn't the place.

But... If you'd like me to, I can target someone. I choose... Pleebs!
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-11-29 20:44:10
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Magnuss said: »
I choose... Pleebs!
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-29 20:49:29
Link | Citer | R

Ramyrez said: »

Did Nausi get a free vacation?
The worst you can call Nausi is a Tea Party member. Not exactly Alt-Right. Close, but not exactly.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
Serveur: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-11-29 20:52:13
Link | Citer | R

That's some plot twist. .. I never would have guessed it was Pleebo...
By Zerowone 2016-11-29 20:53:25
Link | Citer | R

Shiva.Nikolce said: »

It's always the one you least suspect.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-11-29 21:00:38
Link | Citer | R

Zerowone said: »
It's always the one you least suspect.
Pleebo is your butler?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-11-29 21:49:45
Link | Citer | R

If by butler you mean Tim Curry.
[+]
By Yatenkou 2016-11-29 23:35:26
Link | Citer | R

I'm not a traditional conservative, nor do I know much about the alt right. What would I identify as?

1.) I prefer nationalism over globalism
2.) I like news sources that aren't MSM (Just to spite their "facts I don't like" crusade)
3.) I'm severely against the migrant situation in Europe
4.) I'm pro legal immigration but severely against illegal immigration and I support immediate deportation.
5.) I'm against Career politicians and support the proposed term limit on all members of congress

What would I fall under? Serious question.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Serveur: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-11-30 00:46:55
Link | Citer | R

Yatenkou said: »

The wheels of a bus? ...Idk...Who do you think we are? Nostadamus?

What exactly are you against in regards to migrants in Europe? The migrants? The act of migrating? What's it any business of yours anyways?

Assuming you're American the good news is Europe's immigration problems don't effect us a whole bunch. I'm sure once we get our immigration problems sorted out they cam decide whether or not to impliment any of our strategies over there.

So *** them. We have our own problems and they have plenty of their own.

As to the rest, try some deep introspection. Where did i come up with these opinions? Are they really important to me right now?

Consider this. ..
Everything that you see, hear, read is an advertisement trying to sell you something. Nothing is true and everything is an add campaign.

why is someone trying to sell you on the idea that for instance a crisis is looming? Are they selling gun safes or dehydrated food? Maybe gold coins and life insurance.

Why are you wearing the clothes you have on right now?
What males you believe those brands are any different than any others.

The dumbest thing i see everyday. Is people wearing uncomfortable clothes for no apparent reason. Jeans that are four sizes to small and full of holes. Shoes they can walk right in and tops that are impractical as they are ugly.

Does the store you buy coffee from define you? Does the brand of pants you wear say something about you as a person? How long are you going to sit here and read the drunken babble of some old weirdo?

These are the important questions only you can answer.

nobody cares how you feel about Europe least of all Europeans. your opinion was downloaded into your brain as part of an add for Levis jeans or some ***.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-30 06:01:53
Link | Citer | R

I'm not a traditional conservative, nor do I know much about the alt right. What would I identify as?

2.) I like news sources that aren't MSM (Just to spite their "facts I don't like" crusade)
4.) I'm pro legal immigration but severely against illegal immigration and I support immediate deportation.
5.) I'm against Career politicians and support the proposed term limit on all members of congress

Honest answer: Whichever part of the Republican party you wish to be considered under.

Liberal answer: Deplorable.
By Ramyrez 2016-11-30 07:29:38
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »

You do understand the extensive hypocrisy implicit within statements like this, right?

I mean, it's one thing if you're okay with it and just don't care. I just want to be clear that you understand it.
By Ramyrez 2016-11-30 07:32:54
Link | Citer | R

Well...for one, I'd say you're expressing a major double standard, or even triple standard really.

1. You're pro legal immigration. I'm like 95% sure that as it stands, the immigration going on in Europe right now and over the past few decades has been legal travel within the EU. So you're against it even though you're for it?

2. You're for nationalism over globalism, so why do you have any opinion on how European entities handle their incoming immigrants?
[+]
By eliroo 2016-11-30 08:10:18
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Saevel said: »
eliroo said: »
Are we now stretching to defend a really crappy method of teaching math?

Looks like it will better prepare kids for higher levels of math. The box method is vastly superior long form in terms of mental thinking.

As Pleebo mentioned, teachers are probably doing a terrible job conveying this but I think the concept is something that should be taught.

"Vastly superior" is an opinion, but you're not presenting it as such. Beyond that, good ideas that cannot be implemented properly are bad ideas. There are other ways to teach children to think outside the box without screwing with their ability to think inside the box too.

Advanced abstract thinking is something you get into near the end of High School and into University, it's not something suitable for younger children. Again the people who came up with this were University Professors who had never taught K-12, for them this was purely a theoretical experiment turned into opportunity to spread their ideology.

Did it ever occur to you that you think "Abstract thinking" is only something end year high schoolers and college students do because that is the teaching method that was used for you? The teaching methods are changing and while it may seem odd to you, because you were never taught that way, it may be a lot more engaging and though provocative for kids.

Furthermore, this isn't "Abstract thinking", it is just thinking. When I went to school we were just given a problem and had to answer it and most of the things we learned I have never put to use, with this type of teaching method you teach them more than just formulas and methodology but you teach them reason. That isn't an opinion, it is literally the difference.

KN even said he wants teachers to teach kids based on the subject and not the test and that is essentially what common core seems to be promoting, are you sure you guys aren't confused?

"Vastly superior" is an opinion, but you're not presenting it as such. Beyond that, good ideas that cannot be implemented properly are bad ideas. There are other ways to teach children to think outside the box without screwing with their ability to think inside the box too.

This whole statement is pretty off. No idea why you would mention the first line as it adds no value to the argument. Beyond that, There is nothing about this method that screws with either of those types of thinking, if anything it encourages both. You are just using exaggerated examples from bad teachers.

Here is a better example: http://www.excelined.org/common-core-toolkit/old-standards-v-common-core-a-side-by-side-comparison-of-math-expectations/

As you can see it still has the student think inside the box to come up with a basic solution then think outside of box to come up with the real solution.

Fact is, our teaching methods are going to change. Even when I was going to school kids younger than me were progressively learning tougher subjects. As we continue to develop our teaching methods it will be easier and easier to teach harder subjects to younger kids which will only be beneficial for our future. I personally want my kids education to be better than mine.

I'm sure common core has some other fundamental issues but for the most part we should consider the approach of teaching reasoning as opposed to just using formulas and such.
By eliroo 2016-11-30 08:12:53
Link | Citer | R

5 stances is hardly enough to put you under a party. What is your position on civil rights, education, welfare ect. Stuff that actually effects our nation. If you list out those stances we could probably tell you better what "party" you line up with.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-30 08:25:59
Link | Citer | R

You do understand the extensive hypocrisy implicit within statements like this, right?

I mean, it's one thing if you're okay with it and just don't care. I just want to be clear that you understand it.
You do realize that the only qualifications Clinton made when calling half (or if you use fuzzy math, 8%) of the nation as deplorable is "anyone not with Clinton," and add the fact that there are protests going on in liberal-heavy cities and colleges protesting the election results and calling Trump voters "deplorable" who's only qualification is what is defined above, that answer is really not hypocritical at all. It's already been stated multiple times, both by a presidential candidate, the media, and various protesters in cities protesting results.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-30 08:29:30
Link | Citer | R

KN even said he wants teachers to teach kids based on the subject and not the test and that is essentially what common core seems to be promoting, are you sure you guys aren't confused?
Common core isn't teaching subjects or subject matter, they are teaching according to standardized testing.

Even liberal media has lambasted the whole principle of CC. It just doesn't do what it is supposed to do, which is improve the quality of education.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-30 08:33:53
Link | Citer | R

You do realize that the only qualifications Clinton made when calling half (or if you use fuzzy math, 8%) of the nation as deplorable is "anyone not with Clinton," and add the fact that there are protests going on in liberal-heavy cities and colleges protesting the election results and calling Trump voters "deplorable" who's only qualification is what is defined above, that answer is really not hypocritical at all. It's already been stated multiple times, both by a presidential candidate, the media, and various protesters in cities protesting results.
To expand my point
By Ramyrez 2016-11-30 08:39:28
Link | Citer | R

So..."No."

The answer you were looking for is "no."

You cannot sit and go "all liberals think anyone who disagrees with them is deplorable" without falling victim to the same exact faulty mindset they are employing.

Because you are in turn distilling an entire broad spectrum of people with varying beliefs and opinions into one specific thought process. Which is exactly the behavior you're suggesting is wrong.
[+]
By eliroo 2016-11-30 08:41:36
Link | Citer | R

Common core isn't teaching subjects or subject matter, they are teaching according to standardized testing.

Even liberal media has lambasted the whole principle of CC. It just doesn't do what it is supposed to do, which is improve the quality of education.

Eh, the huffington post.

Regardless, you don't think the problem is the teachers and how they haven't adapted to teach such methods? Furthermore, even when I was in high school every class was about teaching us for a test. Heck AP Calculus was just a big prep course for the AP test.
By Yatenkou 2016-11-30 08:43:13
Link | Citer | R

The wheels of a bus? ...Idk...Who do you think we are? Nostadamus?

What exactly are you against in regards to migrants in Europe? The migrants? The act of migrating? What's it any business of yours anyways?
I guess it stems from the fact that I don't think it's ok that people are just fleeing from their problems and demanding more and more and more from the countries they flee to. I suppose I'm just thinking "Why not fix your own damn country if so many of you are migrating? You certainly have the numbers. Then I see things on the internet like tv shows to teach young Muslim women how to cover their bruises up after their husbands beat them (Yes this was a legit thing and I'll grab the article if requested.)

Assuming you're American the good news is Europe's immigration problems don't effect us a whole bunch. I'm sure once we get our immigration problems sorted out they cam decide whether or not to impliment any of our strategies over there.

I hope that is the case, but with the whole situation at Ohio State and people actually feeling sympathy for someone who up until he got shot dead was trying to stab people, I just feel so disgusted in my own country.

So *** them. We have our own problems and they have plenty of their own.
But how long until their problems become ours?

As to the rest, try some deep introspection. Where did i come up with these opinions? Are they really important to me right now?
I suppose I came up with my opinions because I really care for my country despite the culture being a festering cesspool of idiots who are either trying to sympathize with an attempted murderer, people setting fire to churches in Tennessee to frame African Americans. I really think this country can bounce back, and all of the red flags are pointing at George Soros being the root of these problems with his NGO's and control of the main stream media and the Green Party. Hell, Jill Stein had a few of Soros' buddies on her team for trying to negotiate that recount. So my nationalist opinion would have to come from the fact I can't stand Soros, who tries to shove globalism down our throats.

Consider this. ..
Everything that you see, hear, read is an advertisement trying to sell you something. Nothing is true and everything is an add campaign.

I guess I subscribed to the more conservative side then.

why is someone trying to sell you on the idea that for instance a crisis is looming? Are they selling gun safes or dehydrated food? Maybe gold coins and life insurance.

Oh the crisis was gonna come if Hillary was able to enforce he no fly zone over Syria. As for the gold coins, I forget who it is but someone is trying to abolish the big banks in favor of returning to the gold standard.

Why are you wearing the clothes you have on right now?
What males you believe those brands are any different than any others.

Well, I suppose my "clothes" depend on the fact I stopped thinking as a liberal because of identity politics. At my university I would get laughed at by certain students if I thought differently, so I decided to start thinking more vocally, which had the result of my being followed out to my car several times by a safe space student trying to piss me off to hit him so I'd get expelled.

the dumbest thing i see everyday. Is people wearing uncomfortable clothes for no apparent reason. Jeans that are four sizes to small and full of holes. Shoes they can walk right in and tops that are impractical as they are ugly.
Quote:

Idk but these fit pretty good, I just don't know the name of the brand I'm wearing.

Does the store you buy coffee from define you? Does the brand of pants you wear say something about you as a person? How long are you going to sit here and read the drunken babble of some old weirdo?
Quote:

Well Starbucks does have a tendency to attract condescending ***, and I actually like reading your posts because they make me laugh when I need a pick me up, not saying that in an offensive way, I legitimately think you're a funny person.

These are the important questions only you can answer.

nobody cares how you feel about Europe least of all Europeans. your opinion was downloaded into your brain as part of an add for Levis jeans or some ***.

I think only half of my ideas are downloaded, the rest I've felt out. I'm just nervous that I'm going to be labeled as a nazi for what or or two people did like Spencer and Teqoila.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-11-30 08:44:56
Link | Citer | R

Heck AP Calculus was just a big prep course for the AP test.

In this case it occurs to me that it's also probably one of the few subjects where that may still be the best method for teaching the subject, assuming the test is structured in such a way as to actually test your understanding of the subject.

But given that I'm ***at math, my analysis could be off.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-30 08:45:12
Link | Citer | R

So..."No."

The answer you were looking for is "no."

You cannot sit and go "all liberals think anyone who disagrees with them is deplorable" without falling victim to the same exact faulty mindset they are employing.

Because you are in turn distilling an entire broad spectrum of people with varying beliefs and opinions into one specific thought process. Which is exactly the behavior you're suggesting is wrong.
Nice strawman.

Here I was, using actual evidence (Clinton specifically stated that half of Trump's supporters are deplorable, Slate and the protesters out there even extended it to all) to show that the liberal answer to Yatenkou's question is what I said, and you try to turn this around into an argument I'm not having.

I didn't call liberals "deplorables," actually nobody did. Nor did I label them other that what they are (you know, liberals). You cannot say that I'm labeling anyone who's not conservative as <insert derogatory term> because that would be your entire "hypocritical" argument, but I never did such of a thing.

In short: Either prove that the liberals out there never said that Trump supporters are deplorable (you cannot) or show where I stated that everyone not conservative is <insert derogatory term> (and thus, hypocritical, which you cannot).
By eliroo 2016-11-30 08:48:31
Link | Citer | R

I guess I subscribed to the more conservative side then.

Definitions:

Conservative - holding to traditional attitudes and values and cautious about change or innovation, typically in relation to politics or religion.

LIberal - open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values.

Just to help clarify your position on what you are.

I would also dive into each parties platform to figure out where you better align.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-11-30 08:49:36
Link | Citer | R

Regardless, you don't think the problem is the teachers and how they haven't adapted to teach such methods?
I don't think it's the teacher's fault themselves, they are trying to move to a system that counter to the obvious ways of teaching.

Sure, on paper, Common Core seems reasonable, but in practice, very counter productive.

And remember, Common Core is a progressive idea, championed by Obama, and even the liberal media is calling it worthless. That has to say something, don't you think?

Furthermore, even when I was in high school every class was about teaching us for a test.
Technically, me too, although my school didn't exactly have the test papers available, just what the administrators were told what sorts of subjects would be on the standardized testing would be.

Assumptions, of course. I really don't know. Only person who could tell us what he is being told to teach would be Magnuss.
First Page 2 3 ... 6 7 8 ... 46 47 48