A Scholar's Continuing Education (Guide)

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Scholar » A Scholar's Continuing Education (Guide)
A Scholar's Continuing Education (Guide)
 Asura.Silversean
Serveur: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Silversean 2016-10-25 23:30:07
Link | Citer | R

I made an updated guide for Scholar, it's mostly finished. I just gotta add a few things, but if you see something I missed let me know and I'll add it.

Link to Guide: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/A_Scholar's_Continuing_Education
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
Serveur: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2016-10-26 06:14:31
Link | Citer | R

You need to edit your Embrava info.
You have:
Quote:
Powerful buff, only available during 1 hr. Gives 72hp/tic Regen, 7 mp/tic Refresh, and 30% Haste

As per testing, from the BG page:
Quote:
Regen: Potency = Enhancing Magic÷7 + 1 HP/tick, rounded down (72 HP/tick maximum)
Refresh: Potency = Enhancing Magic÷100 + 1 MP/tick, rounded down (6 MP/tick maximum)
Haste: Potency = Enhancing Magic÷20 % Haste (25.9% haste maximum 266/1024)
 Shiva.Arislan
Serveur: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2016-10-26 08:37:14
Link | Citer | R

Overall nice job, but there's are a few spots I had issues with...

Quote:
I have no idea why you'd use WHM as a sub job...

It's situational:

• -na's. Sometimes you need to stay in DA and/or LA/Enlightenment cooldowns are troublesome,

• Magic Defense Bonus II is good to have in some fights,

• AoE cure/barspells w/o needing to burn strats,

• Repose provides a 3rd/light-based sleep option.

So easy to cap FC these days w/o traits, and escha temps make Convert/Refresh much less of a necessity. Honestly the only thing I miss when I need to sub WHM is Frazzle.

Quote:
Equipment

Maybe a tiered progression kind of format (like SpicyRyan uses in his BLU guide) might provide better guidance to newbies? Are the sets you included what you use personally?

Quote:
Enh. Mag. eff. dur. +9

Enh. Mag. eff Dur. augs on Telchine go up to +10.

Quote:
For regular nukes I would just use your Magic Burst set...

>_<;
 Asura.Toralin
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2016-10-26 09:13:43
Link | Citer | R

I agree the magic burst set and agree with posting tiered gear sets compared to your own.
By Sidra 2016-10-26 22:53:42
Link | Citer | R

I'd like to make a suggestion to the merit section. I just finished my Merits on SCH, and wanted to make sure my thoughts were in line with what's generally assumed to be good, or to ensure I didn't miss something maybe I misunderstood (For example a lot of dragoons don't realize how important Empathy is right away). But the merit section in the guide doesn't offer suggestions or must haves. It kind of just rehashes what you can already read in game or on any site. I'd imagine some people looking at the guide might be looking for a bit more guidance.
 Carbuncle.Akivatoo
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Akivatoo
By Carbuncle.Akivatoo 2016-10-27 00:55:42
Link | Citer | R

The main structure of your guide seems pretty fine, but i'm surpised by the /itemset you show.
most of /itemst seems miss some item or not totally optimised.

Cure
(no earring ?)

FC set
(Merlinic Crackows FC+ 6/7, Anhur Robe(FC +10/13),Voltsurge Torque FC+4/5, no FC head ?.)

Enhancing Magic
no ammo ? (spell interupt down), no earring ? (Andoaa Earring,Augment. Earring, Fi Follet Cape +1.)

Enfeebling
Quartz Tathlum +1,

Myrkr
Strobilus, Amalric Coif +1, Dualism Collar +1, Etiolation Earring, Influx Earring, Shinjutsu-no-Obi +1 ect...

i don't know about the pure sch set, but i'm pretty sure some main SCH can help you for that ;)
 Asura.Patriclis
user: Patriclis
By Asura.Patriclis 2016-10-27 09:02:52
Link | Citer | R

You should be curing in a Chatoyant staff, Twilight Cape, and Hachirin-no-Obi with weather/day which means your set would be lacking cure potency cap when you swap out the serenity. You need 15% more cure potency somewhere... (Vanya feet + head with cure potency augments perhaps?)
(If you're not aware, chatoyant staff has the same effect on cures as an elemental obi/ twilight cape).

Also, your cure set is 14% overcapped on potency. Can swap out the head/hands for vanyas with a conserve MP augment. Or keep the telchine but with Conserve MP / -enmity augments.

Curing set priority should be: Cure Potency > -Enmity Cap > Healing Magic > MND > Conserve MP

In situations where you're running low on MP, you want a set with:
Cure Potency > -Enmity Cap = Conserve MP > Healing Magic > MND

You want to aim for 100% Fast Cast (or at the very least 100% cure speed) for when you're casting a spell in the opposite Arts. That way you maintain 20% cast time, all the time.

Enhancing magic set... Has a staff + shield ... This is not possible. Assuming it's a typo :P

"For regular nukes I would just use your Magic Burst set"
No...

Conserve MP set for buffs spells that dont benefit from anything else. (Protect, Shell, Blink etc).

Fast Recast set for spells you want to shorten the recast on such as Haste.

Magic accuracy set for nuking against more resistant mobs.

Stun set (Magic accuracy and lowered recast)

At least two enfeebling sets, One for MND enfeebles, one for INT.
MND Enfeebles prioritize: Macc > Skill > MND.
INT Enfeebles prioritize: Macc > Skill > INT > MND.
Can even go further and make sets specific to certain enfeebles as some enfeebles gain added bonuses from skill (i.e Distract gives more -Evasion depending on your enfeebling skill).

Enfeebling sets are a big thing to cover. Do some more research on the RDM forums for more info. Lots to cover.

Probably want to add some detail as to why certain reforged pieces are "necessary" and why others aren't.

Overall I'd say a lot of the sets are not Best-In-Slot. I would say it's overall more important to show people the options that are out there rather than just showcasing the gear that you personally use.

Also like others have suggested, a tiered gear list, not un-similar to the one Spicyryan made would probably be helpful to people just starting the job.

P.S: HERALD'S GAITERS
Should at least mention these as they are very affordable now. Very useful piece to own on SCH.
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2016-10-27 09:42:31
Link | Citer | R

General editing issues. Your Cure, Fast Cast, and Enhancing Magic sets all start out with "Again, find whatever suits you. Aim for a mixture of Enhancing Skill+ and Enhancing Duration+. Keep Arabatel Bracers for Perpetuance." I assume that is just supposed to be for Enhancing Magic.

For Cure Sets, I would recommend using a Chatoyant Staff, and Kaykaus Bliaut Path D. With the Bliaut, you get Cure Potency II +3%, which puts you at 53%. And Chatoyant Staff gets you the Weather Bonus and Iridescence Bonus
 Asura.Farroh
user: Farroh
By Asura.Farroh 2016-10-27 10:30:20
Link | Citer | R

how do you guys get your macros to show the entire text? i only get like 5-6 text limit.
 Carbuncle.Akivatoo
Serveur: Carbuncle
user: Akivatoo
By Carbuncle.Akivatoo 2016-10-27 11:28:00
Link | Citer | R

/itemset or gearswap/ashitacast
By BlaTheTaru 2016-10-27 12:06:45
Link | Citer | R

I would definitely throw a shout out to Mischief! No one has pushed SCH further or showed the world what the SCH community is capable of like that guy. I mean sure there's been at least one pale imitation, but Mischief will always be king.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2016-10-27 13:09:28
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
You need to edit your Embrava info.
You have:
Quote:
Powerful buff, only available during 1 hr. Gives 72hp/tic Regen, 7 mp/tic Refresh, and 30% Haste

As per testing, from the BG page:
Quote:
Regen: Potency = Enhancing Magic÷7 + 1 HP/tick, rounded down (72 HP/tick maximum)
Refresh: Potency = Enhancing Magic÷100 + 1 MP/tick, rounded down (6 MP/tick maximum)
Haste: Potency = Enhancing Magic÷20 % Haste (25.9% haste maximum 266/1024)

Forgot to add, since the August 5, 2015 Update, Embrava also gives Flurry Effect
 Asura.Silversean
By Asura.Silversean 2016-11-01 11:28:53
Link | Citer | R

Woah, this kinda blew up. I can't read all the replies right now, but I'll read them and change the guide based on your guys excellent suggestions.

Thanks.
By Antisense 2016-11-02 18:22:29
Link | Citer | R

RDM sub also provides access to Gravity, Frazzle, and Distract

Regen set: Regen potency on Bookworm's Cape goes up to +10 and this is actually straight +10 HP for all tiers of Regen unlike the bonuses on Bolelabunga and Arbatel Bonnet. Regen bonuses on Telchine are also straight + HP (up to +3). Coeus is also an option for duration (12 additional seconds to the duration before the Perpetuance and Telchine duration bonuses) versus Bolelabunga potency. Also Bolelabunga potency % converts to +5 HP for Regen V, and Arbatel Bonnet +1 potency % converts to +7 HP for Regen V.

Helix duration is also affected by Bookworm's Cape (1-20 corresponds to a 1-20% increase in total duration), so that may be something to mention.

Accuracy of Modus Veritas depending on time since helix application... that is news to me.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2016-11-02 19:41:01
Link | Citer | R

Coeus duration is not static, it's a %.
That 12 is 12%, not 12 seconds.

Basically:
Head slot => Telchine (duration 10%) vs Arbatel (+7/tick)
Main => Coeus (12% duration) vs Bolelabunga
Cape => Lugh's (duration) vs Bookworm (up to +10 potency)

Then there's the other 4 Telchine slots where you could go Duration (40% max) vs potency (12hp/tick).
By Antisense 2016-11-02 19:49:51
Link | Citer | R

It is trivial to verify either/or, so I suggest you do it. I already have:

https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/108196-Random-Facts-Thread-Magic?p=6726817&viewfull=1#post6726817
By RolandJ 2016-11-02 22:13:30
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Patriclis said: »
.. (If you're not aware, chatoyant staff has the same effect on cures as an elemental obi/ twilight cape). ..

Your post was great Patriclis, please don't get me wrong. I agree with 90%+ of what you said, and since Chatoyant is so misunderstood by at least a small part of the community I just wanted to clarify this information. The corresponding pages on bg-wiki didn't even directly state that Iridesence affects cure potency until after a few of my edits to them, for instance.

Chatoyant Staff, most peculiarly "Iridesence" - the unique effect tied to a chatoyant staff - does not function as an obi and it's quite unique, though it is admittedly very similar to the effect of a twilight cape. Notably, unlike how an obi simply guarantees the default vanilla day/weather bonus proc, Iridesence gives a +10% bonus potency that is not identical to the day/weather bonus. By itself it gives a rather unreliable additional potency that has a proc chance closer to 50% than it is to 100%, functioning like a close relative to the day/weather spell bonus system, to spells that match alignment of the current day/weather. Most importantly, it both stacks ontop of the day/weather bonus and its unreliability gets replaced by a 100% proc chance if a corresponding obi is paired with iridesence along with the corresponding day/weather.

Basically, Iridesence rocks on cures but you gotta use it with an obi, corresponding weather, and properly gear around it! It's kinda sorta, don't quote this, the equivalent of how mujinband/amalrichands raise the gear MagicBurst damage+ cap to 50 - this effectively raises the gear cure potency cap to 60, and can be raised further to 65 with twilight cape.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
Serveur: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2016-11-03 09:05:26
Link | Citer | R

I haven't really played SCH in a long time, but there are a few suggestions I might add.

First, the advantage of Grio staff for enhancing magic isn't necessarily extra skill, but you can get up to +10% enhancing magic duration on it as well.

Second, I would recommend (unless this has been patched) two enhancing magic sets (three with regen set). One with full + duration for spells like haste/protect/shell/etc. that are not affected by skill. This set should include telchine hands with enhancing duration because as you stated, you aren't always going to use perpetuance on those and thus Arabatel (sp?) is not applicable. The second set should focus on 500 enhancing skill as that will cap most enhancing magic spells, and then Telchine after that. This is only 44 enhancing magic skill if you have all the +skill gifts and skill merits. If not, it is +80 skill needed.

Third, I disagree with your just use MB set for nukes on general principle. You aren't always in a burst situation, and merlinic can have augments other than +burst. It may not be economical, but if you play blm or geo too, you probably are going to work on a burst and regular nuke set anyway.

Lastly, Academic's Loafers [+1] will help you reach cap for grimoire recast (25%) when used in conjunction with Pedagogy Hat. It's overflow by about 4-5%, but if you are capping fast cast in other slots its extra reduction.
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2016-11-03 11:45:09
Link | Citer | R

RolandJ said: »
Asura.Patriclis said: »
- this effectively raises the gear cure potency cap to 60, and can be raised further to 65 with twilight cape.

That's not how Iridescence works. It it part of the Day/Weather phase of the Cure Formula, which makes it Multiplicative to your CUre Potency, not Additive.
By RolandJ 2016-11-03 12:07:20
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
That's not how Iridescence works. It it part of the Day/Weather phase of the Cure Formula, which makes it Multiplicative to your CUre Potency, not Additive.

Yeah, you might be right. Assuming 1,000HP cure amount with 50% potency, 667HP without, adding iridesence to that might raise the amount to 1,100 ((667 * 1.5) * 1.1) rather than 1,067 (667 * 1.6).

This is the very reason I said not to quote me on that particular part of my explanation, lol, because the comment that it breaks gear potency cap or raises cure potency II was a lazy and non-committed guess rather than a tested fact. My point was that it's not identical to an obi and I believe that I made that quite clear.

I haven't tested the formula for being within or without the day/weather bonus and I don't really desire to do so. Knowing that it is worthwhile to use, requires day/weather, stacks ontop of the default day/weather bonus, and requires paring with an obi for max efficiency is enough info for me in this case since more knowledge than that on this won't profit me much. That is mostly because I don't have to compare Iridesence to anything for cure potency from the main or subhand slot since nothing even comes close to competing with its cap-breaking additional potency; Queller Rod's bonus is too minute, coming in at 2% Cure Potency II.