Serveur: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-06-10 10:21:22
Link | Citer | R

This is Pokémon Go, the ambitious AR game bringing pocket monsters to life

A first look at Niantic's newest mobile app

Quote:
The seeds of Pokémon Go were first planted with an April Fools’ joke. It was 2014, and Google’s Niantic Inc., the studio behind augmented reality Android game Ingress, got a glimpse at what a Pokémon game may look like if AR technology was many years more advanced than it is today. The hoax video, which was bundled with a Google Maps mini-game, showed a slew of explorers finding Pokémon hidden in nature, using software that could map a virtual creature to the physical surroundings. The clip quickly racked up millions of views on YouTube. Even though people were quite aware the video was fake, they wanted it badly to be real.

Two years later, that wish is coming true in the form of a mobile game called Pokémon Go. And Niantic, now a standalone company, is responsible for making it happen. We got an inside look at the title last week at the company’s offices in San Francisco, and it’s clear Go is one of the most ambitious AR games to date. In true AR fashion, Go overlays text, graphics, and, yes, your friendly neighborhood Charmander by scanning a scene and understanding where to place the objects....
There is more to the article and it has neat, but uncopyable, graphics as well as lots of links.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-10 10:31:20
Link | Citer | R

I find it a very interesting concept. To me aug. reality is the future of mobile gaming(and pretty much any other tech too), while virtual reality is the future of home gaming.
[+]
 Bismarck.Misao
Serveur: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2016-06-10 10:38:59
Link | Citer | R

playing it, it's k.
By fonewear 2016-06-10 10:40:56
Link | Citer | R

Pokemon and reality these two words should never come in connect with each other !
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
Serveur: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2016-06-10 10:55:44
Link | Citer | R

The main draw of this is the concept imo. I think they really struck gold with that.

The technology in Pokemon Go! isn't especially robust or state-of-the-art, but I'm hoping that a game like this brings fresh blood and interest into the academic field of AR. Research in AR is pretty booming lately and I'm excited to see what people come up with.