Random Politics & Religion #02

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #02
Random Politics & Religion #02
First Page 2 3 ... 25 26 27 ... 38 39 40
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Serveur: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-21 12:53:55
Link | Citer | R

I got an open purchase order for a million hot dogs, lets do this!

Things people who run ballparks say.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-21 12:54:31
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
So, still traceable for income tax purposes. And they still have to buy supplies from people, and those people generally don't take cash up front and/or not invoice said products.

Laundromats generally don't provide soap to you.

The extent of it they could check would be utility bills for water/gas/electric and see if it's way out of whack with reported income.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-21 12:56:11
Link | Citer | R

Ramyrez said: »
Asura.Saevel said: »
Instead it's going to be something like 200 "hotdogs" sold on the books but actually 250 would be sold. That is a small enough discrepancy that a cash only business with hand written paper ledgers could get away with. A thorough audit will still find out, but that's expensive and would cost the state far more money then they would ever hope to recover. This stuff happens all the time but on a very small scale. It's still illegal and someone could get into trouble over it, but it's on such a small scale that nobody is going to give a damn, they have better things to do.

Holy *** Saev and I said the same thing.
Honestly, there's no way IRS would figure that out either.

I mean, those 50 extra sales would be considered "waste."

But IRS would still require some substantiation of that.

If anything, you would have to have businesses sell 1,250 hot dogs on the books but really sell 1,300 for IRS to not even notice. 20% of your sales off the record is still able to be caught just by bank deposits alone. You have to go really small, something like 3% of your sales or less off the books, for you to get away with it unnoticed.

And IRS will prosecute people with as little as 3% discrepancy of their income vs. bank records. Like they care, it's a government agency.
Administrator
Serveur: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2016-04-21 12:57:01
Link | Citer | R

Drama Torama said: »
And really, if you want to make points about cash-based businesses, the real winners are services, not vendors.

- Laundromats

Hey. They call it "money laundering."

Are those two things related? They probably are.

Naah. Coincidence...

Topicbanned
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-21 12:59:43
Link | Citer | R

Bad puns are a ban worthy offense.
By Altimaomega 2016-04-21 13:00:00
Link | Citer | R

Alti, you have the right idea but the order of magnitude is wrong.

You aren't going to be selling 5,000 "hotdogs" and claiming 2,000, that is gonna send up all sorts of red flags.

I was just using their examples.

This is the proper way to go about it.
And the smaller the number, the less likely the audit, but still technically a lie about taxable income/items.

Instead it's going to be something like 200 "hotdogs" sold on the books but actually 250 would be sold. That is a small enough discrepancy that a cash only business with hand written paper ledgers could get away with. A thorough audit will still find out

No, it won't. Not if everything is done with cash and kept off ledgers. It literally never happened and no way exists to prove it did.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-21 13:01:37
Link | Citer | R

Altimaomega said: »
You're not understanding that the guy that said he bought a computer for 7k, DIDN'T pay 7k for that computer.. I never said it was common or people did it often.
They have to prove they bought the computer for 7k though. Again, red flag if the going price of computers for people in that industry is only 2k.

Not all items... Believe it or not some items appreciate over time.
I understand very few things do, such as land.

But we are talking about assets, not investments. Those are two completely different things for a business. One is held for appreciation purposes while the other is used to generate revenue for the company.

I'm starting to wonder if you have ever dealt with people that run business.. Although, I guess in your defense, the business owner doesn't really need to tell his accountant the intricacies of his business.
I run several businesses myself, thank you very much.

But I wouldn't sign off a tax return unless I know that tax return is correct and honest. And nearly all CPAs do that, because we are putting our license on the line every single time.

If any of my old clients were running a shady business, I would fire that client as soon as I found out. Remember what happened to Arthur Anderson? They did nothing wrong, just guilt by association, and still went out of business because of who one of their clients were.
By Ramyrez 2016-04-21 13:02:02
Link | Citer | R

Can you give me an example so I can refute it?

I'm not going to harangue over specific cases with you.

You need look no further than the length of time it took to nix corporate tax inversions to see that there are issues.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-21 13:02:57
Link | Citer | R

There is a way... Ever noticed that buns and dogs don't have the same quantity per package?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-21 13:03:01
Link | Citer | R

So, still traceable for income tax purposes. And they still have to buy supplies from people, and those people generally don't take cash up front and/or not invoice said products.

The extent of it they could check would be utility bills for water/gas/electric and see if it's way out of whack with reported income.
Also repairs and maintenance expense. A smart auditor (they sometimes exist, believe it or not) would go to the laundromat in question to see how many machines are running and compare it to the expense itself. Even ask employees questions about the machines too.
By Altimaomega 2016-04-21 13:03:49
Link | Citer | R

Nearly all of those companies still deposit that money on a daily basis.

/looks around for the law that says I have to deposit my total earnings..

Nope, none exists.

Do you really think nobody takes cash anymore? I am stunned by this! Oh, A cash invoice does not have a name on it by the way.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-21 13:04:22
Link | Citer | R

You need look no further than the length of time it took to nix corporate tax inversions to see that there are issues.
You make it sound like those companies don't pay US taxes at all....
By Ramyrez 2016-04-21 13:04:30
Link | Citer | R

Remember what happened to Arthur Anderson? They did nothing wrong that could be proved beyond a reasonable doubt, just guilt by association, and still supposedlywent out of business because of who one of their clients were.

Getting off on a technicality is still getting off, true, but if you're shedding tears for them I hope you're equally upset about the unfair treatment of OJ Simpson by the media and American people.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-04-21 13:04:44
Link | Citer | R

Umm guy ... business's don't have "tax brackets", only people do.
Wrong

And then we go into the really weird world of multi-national corporations who frequently attribute income of one business to another and thus can move their tax home to a more favorable nation.
There's more to that than...that.

Which bring us to something else, personal charity and other donations that the wealthy like to use. Those don't actually save them money as the donation is treated as reduction in taxable income and not as a direct reduction in tax obligation.
Charity donations are limited to 10% of taxable income for corporations, instead of 50% of Adjusted Gross Income for individuals. Even then, the tax savings are only attributable of their tax bracket they are currently in.

And unless your business is making very small amounts of money (under $100K per year), the tax obligation works out to be the same ~35% rate no matter the bracket. Those were purposely built such that super small starting business's aren't hit with a large tax obligation but will be once they expand.

And I'm discussing charity donations of an individual not a business. In either case though you can't really "save money" by donating, the outlay is greater then the savings.

KN you have a bad habit of arguing technicalities while missing the general point or idea of a topic. Tax and corporate finance is such a complicated thing that if we all argued technicalities we'd be here all day arguing over the definition of basic things like "ownership", "income", "assets", "costs", and "liabilities".
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
Serveur: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2016-04-21 13:05:31
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Doesn't matter.

IRS doesn't give a flying ***if you intend to sell that computer at a loss in less than a year. The purpose of purchasing that computer is to use it for greater than a year, therefor capitalize.

The only way IRS will allow a loss on a computer you purchased with the intent to sell it at a loss is if you are a company who sells computers as a sole or primary purpose of the business. Even then, you have to question your business methods if that's the case.

/sigh..

It does matter.. Nowhere did I say anyone was doing this for a business model. The only reason this would be done is to stay out of a higher tax bracket.
Why would you want to do this?

To pay less taxes? Are you new to the conversation?
Is the point to pay less taxes, or to keep more money? Because you may be doing the former, but you certainly aren't doing the latter.
By Ramyrez 2016-04-21 13:05:51
Link | Citer | R

You make it sound like those companies don't pay US taxes at all....
GAO: Many Companies Paid No Federal Income Tax

Quote:
Profitable large U.S. corporations paid federal income taxes between 2008 and 2012 that, on average, amounted to 14 percent of their pre-tax income. The average corporate effective tax rate, which are taxes paid as a proportion of income, for large, profitable corporations was 22 percent between 2008 and 2012 when factoring together federal income taxes with foreign, state and local income taxes.

"Reasons why even profitable corporations may have paid no federal tax in a given year include the use of tax deductions for losses carried forward from prior years and tax incentives, such as depreciation allowances that are more generous in the federal tax code than those allowed for financial accounting purposes," the GAO study reports.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-21 13:06:14
Link | Citer | R

You make it sound like people paying 39% on income taxes aren't saying wtf when they find out a corporation paid 15% and dodged the other 24%.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-04-21 13:07:05
Link | Citer | R

What is the argument exactly here..cause it looks like a brainstorming to come up with the best way to evade taxes lol.
[+]
Administrator
By Drama Torama 2016-04-21 13:07:34
Link | Citer | R

If any of my old clients were running a shady business, I would fire that client as soon as I found out. Remember what happened to Arthur Anderson? They did nothing wrong, just guilt by association, and still went out of business because of who one of their clients were.

What a consultancy/accounting firm really sells isn't expertise; it's trust.

Even if they did nothing wrong, the veneer of trustworthiness is gone, and that's death. AA was always going to fall once that came out, innocent or guilty.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-21 13:08:02
Link | Citer | R

/looks around for the law that says I have to deposit my total earnings..

Nope, none exists.
It's a business practice that you don't keep all of your money in an unsecured location that's available for theft. You can't be next to the safe at all times.

What you suggest, businesses don't do just out of principle of their employees stealing from them. Unless you are the only employee in the company, you can't trust anyone who works for you with all of your money.

Do you really think nobody takes cash anymore? I am stunned by this! Oh, A cash invoice does not have a name on it by the way.
You really think business don't give you a receipt of sale? IRS can request receipts for supplies, and can ask them directly from your vendors if needed.
By Ramyrez 2016-04-21 13:08:02
Link | Citer | R

Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Bad puns are a ban worthy offense.

But a good pun is it's own re-word.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-21 13:10:34
Link | Citer | R

I USED THE WRONG FORM OF "ITS" GOD DAMMIT GIVE ME BACK EDIT AHHHHHH.

[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-04-21 13:10:45
Link | Citer | R

Instead it's going to be something like 200 "hotdogs" sold on the books but actually 250 would be sold. That is a small enough discrepancy that a cash only business with hand written paper ledgers could get away with. A thorough audit will still find out, but that's expensive and would cost the state far more money then they would ever hope to recover. This stuff happens all the time but on a very small scale. It's still illegal and someone could get into trouble over it, but it's on such a small scale that nobody is going to give a damn, they have better things to do.

Holy *** Saev and I said the same thing.
Honestly, there's no way IRS would figure that out either.

I mean, those 50 extra sales would be considered "waste."

But IRS would still require some substantiation of that.

If anything, you would have to have businesses sell 1,250 hot dogs on the books but really sell 1,300 for IRS to not even notice. 20% of your sales off the record is still able to be caught just by bank deposits alone. You have to go really small, something like 3% of your sales or less off the books, for you to get away with it unnoticed.

And IRS will prosecute people with as little as 3% discrepancy of their income vs. bank records. Like they care, it's a government agency.

Who said anything about bank deposits. This is a cash only super small business we're talking about. Income is cash only, expenses are cash only and the owner is a sole proprietor. The extra 20% income is still so small that it's easily hidden by keeping it cash. I know people who've run these kinds of small cash only business's, it's not hard to keep things under the table, as long as it's small. It's when ***gets big that it becomes noticeable.
Administrator
By Drama Torama 2016-04-21 13:12:04
Link | Citer | R

By Ramyrez 2016-04-21 13:12:39
Link | Citer | R

Drama Torama said: »

THANK YOU.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-04-21 13:12:40
Link | Citer | R

Cruz did you forget spoilers are broken??
By Altimaomega 2016-04-21 13:12:50
Link | Citer | R

And if they are running solar panels and all the other "green" stuff it is even easier!

They have to prove they bought the computer for 7k though. Again, red flag if the going price of computers for people in that industry is only 2k.

I'm fairly certain we agree about this whole computer line of debate. The thing we are stuck on is if he gets audited or not. If he manages to squeak by without an audit he is lucky. But it is possible to do so.

I run several businesses myself, thank you very much.

But I wouldn't sign off a tax return unless I know that tax return is correct and honest. And nearly all CPAs do that, because we are putting our license on the line every single time.

Let me go back and find the post I said every business does stuff like this... Oh wait.. I never did.
 Valefor.Rawry
Guide Maker
By Valefor.Rawry 2016-04-21 13:13:04
Link | Citer | R

Lmao *Rooks
no idea why I said Cruz lol!
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-04-21 13:14:21
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
What is the argument exactly here..cause it looks like a brainstorming to come up with the best way to evade taxes lol.

How much tax evasion exists and where does it exist.

The debate hinges are whether we accept the definition of "evasion" to mean any method, even legal, at minimizing tax obligation or only the illegal methods. Also how much tax evasion exists on a small business level.
[+]
Administrator
By Drama Torama 2016-04-21 13:14:28
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Cruz did you forget spoilers are broken??

THE HELL, WOMAN

And they aren't broken! There's just some pages where other things interfere! I didn't know this page had them broken :(
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 25 26 27 ... 38 39 40