Random Politics & Religion #02

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #02
Random Politics & Religion #02
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 ... 38 39 40
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-04-15 10:22:49
Link | Citer | R

Drama Torama said: »
Altimaomega said: »
any true Conservative
"Any true conservative"?

Stop projecting your opinions on to the entire conservative spectrum. It's not a monolith. Cruz and Trump can't even agree with each other, so how can there possibly be one fixed set of principles?
The problem is that neither Trump nor Cruz are conservatives. For that mater Trump is barely a republican.
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
Serveur: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-04-15 10:23:18
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
Things are getting pretty hot and heavy on the democrat side

Quote:
Independent Vermont Senator and upstart Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders had about 27,000 New Yorkers feeling the Bern Wednesday at a rally in Washington Square Park that, at least visually, recalled Barack Obama’s 2008 foreign policy speech to a teeming throng in Berlin. But the rally was not without controversy, as one of the speakers, health care advocate Dr. Paul Song, delivered a profane speech in which he referenced frontrunner Hillary Clinton, and told the crowd they needed to stop electing Democratic “***”

And of course Bernie thanked him for the wonderful introduction once he took the stage.

Hey the truth hurts...

Thats not what happened but who cares about accurate reporting right nausi?
 Garuda.Chanti
Serveur: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-04-15 10:24:16
Link | Citer | R

Paged but can't edit:

[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-04-15 10:29:25
Link | Citer | R

In more college chalk news...

Quote:
DePaul University will no longer allow students to chalk political messages on the sidewalks of its campus because of the “offensive, hurtful, and divisive” nature of pro-Trump chalking found on campus last week.

We need to coin a phrase for this chalk banning phenomenon.

The chalkening?
Chalk-nado?
Chalk proof safe space?
[+]
Serveur: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2016-04-15 10:35:59
Link | Citer | R

The chalkening?
Chalk-nado?
Chalk proof safe space?

Getting Chalk-blocked?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Serveur: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-15 10:36:49
Link | Citer | R

Altimaomega said: »
Only if you want it to, and fail to understand where I am coming from.
I know where you are coming from, don't worry.

Still doesn't stop the fact that you are using a fallacy as an argument.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-04-15 10:37:01
Link | Citer | R

How did we P&R pass up Clinton joking around with de Blasio over "colored people time"
C'mon guys, you're slacking on the job.

Quote:
This wasn't improv, and it wasn't an accident. But based on de Blasio's explanation to CNN after the fact, it's not clear those involved realized it could face the blow back it has.

I mean I guess CPT jokes are on the table this election season as well? Or is the media only going to let liberals get away with such transgressions?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-15 10:38:20
Link | Citer | R

Garuda.Chanti said: »
The problem is that neither Trump nor Cruz are conservatives. For that mater Trump is barely a republican.
Give evidence if you want to make that assertion please.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Serveur: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-04-15 10:39:49
Link | Citer | R

In more college chalk news...

Quote:
DePaul University will no longer allow students to chalk political messages on the sidewalks of its campus because of the “offensive, hurtful, and divisive” nature of pro-Trump chalking found on campus last week.

We need to coin a phrase for this chalk banning phenomenon.

The chalkening?
Chalk-nado?
Chalk proof safe space?

Break out the water hoses!

Wait a sec...
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-04-15 10:41:25
Link | Citer | R

Ramyrez said: »
You're not wrong. I just think people are wrong for supporting him for these reasons. I really think the things we said go hand-in-hand, personally, but that's just my take on it. His "brashness" and his arrogance go hand-in-hand.

This is unimportant. It's like saying "I think candy should be free and there should be an end to world hunger".

Something people need to realize, especially those of you who reliably vote democrat, is that Trump has done a marvelous job of targeting the voters he wants, especially those who don't normally vote. Democrats are going to vote for a Democrat candidate, if they vote at all. Republicans are going to vote Republican. This isn't about who supports who, it's about not supporting the arch rival sports team. Thus Trump couldn't give a damn about what Democrat voters (those who primarily vote Democrat) want, they won't eve vote for him so instead of worrying he just removes them from the table. He knows the conservatives will vote for him, if he gets the nomination, so he removes them from the table also. That only leaves the undecided, uncaring majority of swing voters. He targets things they want to hear and identify with.

KJ's comment about Texas is a great example. Trump has said some ***that would definitely piss off the "Latino vote". Thing is, that vote is almost entirely democrat anyway and the handful (relatively speaking) of Republican / conservative would sooner stay home then vote for the enemy. Texas is a reliably red state, nothing he does will cause it to go blue. So him saying those things would only cause the difference between him winning 71% of the Texas vote vs 66% of the Texas vote. Same with the reliably blue states like California or New York, targeting that demographic would only result in him losing at 39% instead of 33%. So why bother wasting time and resources on things that won't be changed, and instead focus on creating a support base that either doesn't normally vote or frequently switch's their vote.

The dudes been building for the main election from the beginning. He won't need to do the "pivot to the center" after the summer to appeal to the undecided middle swing voters. This is the same reason Bernie can't win the main election, he's so far left that he can't do a pivot to the middle and those middle swing voters won't go for him. Cruz has a marginally better chance, but only if he tones down the "I'm a Jesus man" rhetoric and focus's entirely on the economy. Hillary would of been perfect in 2008 instead of Obama, but now she's just viewed as an out of touch aristocrat elite who's above everyone else along with being "more of the same".
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-04-15 10:43:03
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Independent Vermont Senator and upstart Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders had about 27,000 New Yorkers feeling the Bern Wednesday at a rally in Washington Square Park that, at least visually, recalled Barack Obama’s 2008 foreign policy speech to a teeming throng in Berlin. But the rally was not without controversy, as one of the speakers, health care advocate Dr. Paul Song, delivered a profane speech in which he referenced frontrunner Hillary Clinton, and told the crowd they needed to stop electing Democratic “***”

And of course Bernie thanked him for the wonderful introduction once he took the stage.

Hey the truth hurts...
I don't know who this person is, but from context I would bet the meaning was not ***, but rather sell-out.
Of course he's going to get hell for that though nonetheless, he should have known better about wording. Poor guy will never hear the end of this lol.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-04-15 10:51:23
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Saevel said: »
Bunch of stuff
This is pretty much dead on. Don't forget there's alot of cross appeal between Trump and sanders. He'll pick up a large section of Bernie voters because after Clinton strong arm's her way to the nomination.

I don't mean large like "majority" large but certainly after getting robbed of their beloved candidate a big number of them will want to fire a wrecking ball (trump) to the system.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
Serveur: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-04-15 10:52:26
Link | Citer | R

Lool, started watching the dem debate, arrived at a point when Clinton was asked a question and she stopped midsentence going "oh it's so awesome to be here in Brooklyn, you guys are so great". I was like oh please *** off and shut it down.

I honestly wonder if people really fall for such cheeky tactics, or cheesy if you will, it is absurd to me. Not saying she's the only one who does this crap, but come on...
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-15 10:54:51
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I honestly wonder if people really fall for such cheeky tactics, or cheesy if you will, it is absurd to me. Not saying she's the only one who does this crap, but come on...
Yeah, they are usually either the undecided or young voters with low self-esteem.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
Serveur: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-04-15 10:56:46
Link | Citer | R

And now for children of a more impressionable age:

US election campaign 'leading to widespread fear' and bullying in schools

Quote:
The abrasive and at times toxic rhetoric of the US election campaign is having a “profoundly negative impact” on children, a report has claimed.

It says the campaign is producing fear and anxiety among minority pupils, and inflaming racial and ethnic tensions in the classroom.

The Southern Poverty Law Centre said teachers also reported an increase in the bullying, harassment and intimidation of students whose races, religions or nationalities have been the verbal targets of candidates. Many students feared being deported.

“We’re deeply concerned about the level of fear among minority children who feel threatened by both the incendiary campaign rhetoric and the bullying they’re encountering in school,” said Richard Cohen, the group’s president.

“We’ve seen Donald Trump behave like a 12-year-old, and now we’re seeing 12-year-olds behave like Donald Trump.”

The survey - The Trump Effect: The Impact of the Presidential Campaign on Our Nation’s Schools - involved the questioning of around 2,000 teachers across the US. The group said the survey cannot be considered scientific, but said it provided an insight into the impact of the unusually heated election campaign.

The Republican primary campaign has been criticised for the anti-immigration rhetoric of many of the leading candidates, including Donald Trump and Ted Cruz.

Mr Trump has said he wants to build a wall along the US border with Mexico, deport Muslim immigrants to the US, and called Mexicans migrants “rapists and murderers”.

More than two-thirds of the teachers reported that students – mainly immigrants, children of immigrants and Muslims – have expressed concerns or fears about what might happen to them or their families after the election.

More than half have seen an increase in uncivil political discourse. More than third have observed an increase in anti-Muslim or anti-immigrant sentiment, the report said.

More than 40 per cent are hesitant to teach about the election.

While the survey did not identify candidates, more than 1,000 comments mentioned Donald Trump by name.

In contrast, a total of fewer than 200 contained the names Ted Cruz, Bernie Sanders or Hillary Clinton. More than 500 comments contained the words “fear,” “scared,” “afraid,” “anxious,” or “terrified” to describe the campaign’s impact on minority students.

“My students are terrified of Donald Trump,” wrote a teacher from a middle school with a large population of African-American Muslims.

“They think that if he’s elected, all black people will get sent back to Africa.”

An elementary teacher teacher in Oregon said her black students are “concerned for their safety because of what they see on TV at Trump rallies.” In Tennessee, a junior school teacher said a Latino child – told by classmates that he will be deported and blocked from returning home by a wall – asked every day, “Is the wall here yet?”

One more:

'Trump' as anti-Latino epithet: Ugly incidents at high school games
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-15 10:57:05
Link | Citer | R

Quote:

Hey the truth hurts...
I don't know who this person is, but from context I would bet the meaning was not ***, but rather sell-out.
Of course he's going to get hell for that though nonetheless, he should have known better about wording. Poor guy will never hear the end of this lol.

This conversation is a day late and a dollar short. Bernie reprimanded them for the comment yesterday morning. Which was kind of lame since he should have done it in the moment.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-15 10:57:43
Link | Citer | R

Lool, started watching the dem debate, arrived at a point when Clinton was asked a question and she stopped midsentence going "oh it's so awesome to be here in Brooklyn, you guys are so great". I was like oh please *** off and shut it down.

I also enjoy how she apparently (I didn't watch it, debates seem antiquated and worthless these days to me) stopped and brought up abortion out of nowhere, as if Bernie was somehow going to say he was against it.

I didn't need to be discussed, Hillary. Your stances are 100% obvious or you wouldn't stand a chance as the Democratic nom...
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-04-15 10:57:50
Link | Citer | R

Heh, yeah I mean most if not all of the political class comes off pretty "fake" but if there were ever a king/queen of falseness it's Hillary Clinton.

No matter how hard she tries you can always hear her blatantly robotic mannerisms and inflections.
[+]

Undelete | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-15 11:05:02
Link | Citer | R

I didn't watch it, debates seem antiquated and worthless these days to me
With today's information technology and people's pigheadedness, the election is pretty much already over with.

About 95% of the population has already decided who they are going to vote for (even if they don't know who they are going to vote for, they will still vote for the ideology they identify with regardless on who's standing at the end). The remaining 5% are those who don't give a ***regardless and may or may not show up.

The real fight is getting people to vote, period. You may be a democrat and still not vote because you don't like your guy, or a Republican and still not vote for the same reason.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-15 11:05:11
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Saevel said: »
This is unimportant. It's like saying "I think candy should be free and there should be an end to world hunger".

Well, no, it is important.

The swing voters are falling for his bravado and he's really got nothing good to back it up with.

I mean, on healthcare he's even basically said he'll leave the ACA in place.

So he's either got to flip flop on that (which you're saying he won't do) or alienate the pissy conservatives who don't like the ACA.

You don't think it's important, and maybe it's not to him getting the votes, but it is important to note how many people in the U.S. are falling under the sway of the authoritarian bully.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-15 11:05:30
Link | Citer | R

Case in point:

Candlejack said: »
And people wonder why I don't support any of the republicans and intend to vote blue regardless of who come November.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-15 11:08:50
Link | Citer | R

The whole lot of them are either racist bigots, religious zealots, or a mix of the two. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
You only see what you want to see.

Also what the media tells you to see....
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-15 11:13:34
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
The whole lot of them are either racist bigots, religious zealots, or a mix of the two. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
You only see what you want to see.

Also what the media tells you to see....

Trump is borderline racist. Even if you say he's not actually a racist, it's easy to see how people can construe that he is, and you absolutely cannot deny that his rhetoric appeals to those who truly are.

And Cruz may not be racist, but he is backward as you get socially, which isn't even really acceptable in a mainstream republican candidate these days. Trump gets accusations of not respecting women, but at least Trump can bring female employees on stage to testify to the opposite.
[+]
Administrator
Serveur: Hyperion
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2016-04-15 11:17:46
Link | Citer | R

Trump gets accusations of not respecting women, but at least Trump can bring female employees on stage to testify to the opposite.

My impression of Trump is that he's definitely got a heavy dose of chauvinism in there, but he's got too much corporate mercenary attitude not to recognize talent when he sees it, and wouldn't discount a woman staffer/executive/etc because of sex or gender.

And really, who doesn't think Megyn Kelly is kind of a ***
[+]
Forum Moderator
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-04-15 11:19:48
Link | Citer | R

I thought I was the only one who had an unprovoked and irrational distaste for her.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-15 11:20:26
Link | Citer | R

Trump gets accusations of not respecting women, but at least Trump can bring female employees on stage to testify to the opposite.

My impression of Trump is that he's definitely got a heavy dose of chauvinism in there, but he's got too much corporate mercenary attitude not to recognize talent when he sees it, and wouldn't discount a woman staffer/executive/etc because of sex or gender.

That's kind of what I mean.

Which is also why I don't think he's a racist himself, he's just very, very comfortable embracing racists. Which is a subtle but notable difference.

He doesn't care what you are, he cares what you can do for him.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
Serveur: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-15 11:20:29
Link | Citer | R

Trump is borderline racist. Even if you say he's not actually a racist, it's easy to see how people can construe that he is, and you absolutely cannot deny that his rhetoric appeals to those who truly are

Using his own words one can construe he's borderline incestuous:

Quote:
It would be really disappointing — not really — but it would depend on what's inside the magazine. I don't think Ivanka would do that, although she does have a very nice figure. I've said if Ivanka weren't my daughter, perhaps I'd be dating her."
[+]
Forum Moderator
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-04-15 11:20:38
Link | Citer | R

Don't get me started on Nancy Grace.
Administrator
Serveur: Hyperion
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2016-04-15 11:21:39
Link | Citer | R

He doesn't care what you are, he cares what you can do for him.

Which in its own horrible way, is egalitarian as ***
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 ... 38 39 40