The Official BGWiki Thread!

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » The Official BGWiki Thread!
The Official BGWiki Thread!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-04-14 09:29:18
Link | Citer | R

Not really a full suggestion, but a by the way comment, if you guys had the time or people to add such things, I liked the way XIclopedia had some lore and etymology noted on some pages. Not sure if BGwiki has that stuff somewhere or not.

I know there are a few people around who like to know lore behind stuff.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Nikolce
Serveur: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-04-14 10:05:35
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
How exactly do you merge every FFXI site (Zam and KI are dead, pride is just a mobile app basically now) into one?

how the hell should I know!?

just make with the merging already... chop chop...

edit: add guildwork windower and all the other ad on sites

Post deleted by User.
Comment: Cleaning
Forum Moderator
Serveur: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-04-14 10:08:38
Link | Citer | R

This will have to be the first time I say no, but unfortunately I will not be adding the lore. It is simply not worth my time at all.

Anyone else is free of course to add the lore to any page. Just Type ==Lore== at the bottom of a page to create the break in the page with that title, and type away.
Then you, sir, are terribad.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Krizz
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Krizz
By Bahamut.Krizz 2016-04-15 08:52:03
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Funkworkz said: »
Faelar said: »
I've been browsing the FFXIclopedia and BG Wiki, and I'm noticing a lot of pages that FFXIpedia has info on and BG Wiki doesn't. I was gathering Trusts the other day, for example, and FFXIpedia had alot of Trust info that BG didn't.

I guess my question is, would you like for me to point these discrepancies out as I find them (I'm a returning player, so I'll be looking up stuff ALOT), or nah?

I am not satisfied with the trust page right now and I do want to expand it. I am leaning towards making individual trust pages similar to xiclopedia. This way all the data isnt crammed into the same page and we can hopefully eliminate the collapsing categories.
What I would like to see stay on the main Trust page is how to obtain each of them. I agree that the skill, etc. breakdown would be better on the individual pages.

Also the part telling you to complete the Trust quest could probably go at the top instead of being in the acquisition information. The next line saying to trade the cipher to the NPC could go the same way.

So it would only be something like:
Quote:
Obtain Cipher: Amchuchu by buying it for 2000 Bayld from Ujlei Zelekko in the Peacekeeper's Coalition. (Note: Alter Ego Extravaganza event only)

Edit:
EDIT: Just looked at the pre-SoA guide to returning.
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Returning_to_Vana%27diel

Boy, is that ***a mess. I think I would just scrap that and start over..

I like the layout of that guide. It obviously needs to be updated, but I still found it to be a good read. I had completely forgotten about the tatter system.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Leviathan.Loona
Serveur: Leviathan
user: Loona
By Leviathan.Loona 2016-05-12 11:24:17
Link | Citer | R

I've been looking at the wiki, then at this thread and felt like making minor contributions that hopefully will add up to a more usable wiki that's not incredibly full with adds. Turns out I had to register in the BG forums to do that, so I did. I wanted to share some brainfarts about the wiki there, but it won't let me post links, the lifeblood of wikidom, without 10 posts there, so I'm doing that here:

Consider adding an "absolute upgrade" (superior stats, more jobs covered, etc...) links section, when applicable, in pages like equipment or food to make it quicker to check if there's something better with no downsides. Mostly to help decide if an older or lower-level item is worth disposing of by selling it, dropping it, or handing it to some NPC who'll give you something like bayld for it.

Stat+ and Stat- categories (ex: all items with STR+5 would be covered by Category:STR+5, all items with Evasion-3 would be covered by Category:Evasion-3, assuming Wikimedia's notation permits it) - then linking to the highest/lowest category for a given stat would make it easier to find best-in-slot items for a given purpose, which would be simpler than maintaining a table of items with stuff like the highest Blue Magic skill stats. It's a bit of a rough idea, admittedly, but could be useful, especially if the categories were then linked to from the page for the corresponding stat.

Polar/Pyric Bulwark distiction - from what I read these are supposed to be 2 different Hydra family moves, but the page for one is a redirect for the other. I read there was a name change a while ago, but I think both moves exist and do different things? To add to the confusion, it's not really clear if there's any mob/NM of that family that does use whichever one of those is supposed to be learnable by BLUs, as "classic" Hydra is often not listed in pages out there about the spell (why yes, it's my next one in line)...
As a side note either the BLU spell pages or the mob family pages could mention something about which mobs are the exception when it comes to learning a spell from them...

The main wiki page's category is Food, but I can't find Main Page in the Category:Food list, odd...

There's a great google docs document out there with info on trusts - how legit would it be to bring its content to bgwiki? (I don't even know who's maintaining the doc)

Pages to look into as a starting point to contribute in small ways that may add up to something useful:
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Special:DeadendPages
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Special:LonelyPages
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Special:UncategorizedPages
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Special:UnusedCategories
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Special:WantedPages
among many other categories in https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Special:SpecialPages - not to mention good ol' "What links here" (I didn't know about the icon on item pages being a link to that either)

It's interesting that this exists: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Removed_Monsters but maybe it could go under a broader Deprecated Content category? I don't expect it to be a big category, but maybe it could cover things like the Delfkutt Key that was turned into a key item years ago, or that one item that used to be required to enter Ddynamis before the whole system was revamped?

This should probably be more visible: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Spicyryan_/_Sandbox#Sandbox_test_play_area_wear_a_smock_and_safety_goggles
[+]

Post deleted by User.
Comment: Per BGWiki Admin's request.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
Serveur: Sylph
user: Funkworkz
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2016-05-13 18:58:23
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Loona said: »
Consider adding an "absolute upgrade" (superior stats, more jobs covered, etc...) links section, when applicable, in pages like equipment or food to make it quicker to check if there's something better with no downsides. Mostly to help decide if an older or lower-level item is worth disposing of by selling it, dropping it, or handing it to some NPC who'll give you something like bayld for it.

Stat+ and Stat- categories (ex: all items with STR+5 would be covered by Category:STR+5, all items with Evasion-3 would be covered by Category:Evasion-3, assuming Wikimedia's notation permits it) - then linking to the highest/lowest category for a given stat would make it easier to find best-in-slot items for a given purpose, which would be simpler than maintaining a table of items with stuff like the highest Blue Magic skill stats. It's a bit of a rough idea, admittedly, but could be useful, especially if the categories were then linked to from the page for the corresponding stat.

I consider this about the same thing. While they are both good ideas, it is just too much work to list those things out. I always assume people are using FFXIAH's Power Search feature to find STR+ gear for instance. The only flaw with that system is that it doesnt list augments. That's why we need to be sure that all augments are properly listed/linked on the wiki side.

Polar/Pyric Bulwark distiction - from what I read these are supposed to be 2 different Hydra family moves, but the page for one is a redirect for the other. I read there was a name change a while ago, but I think both moves exist and do different things? To add to the confusion, it's not really clear if there's any mob/NM of that family that does use whichever one of those is supposed to be learnable by BLUs, as "classic" Hydra is often not listed in pages out there about the spell (why yes, it's my next one in line)...
Yes those are two different moves. One is physical resistance, one is magical resistance. It should be fixed.

As a side note either the BLU spell pages or the mob family pages could mention something about which mobs are the exception when it comes to learning a spell from them...
Sounds like a good project for you :P

The main wiki page's category is Food, but I can't find Main Page in the Category:Food list, odd...
That is a funny mistake. Fixed it.

There's a great google docs document out there with info on trusts - how legit would it be to bring its content to bgwiki? (I don't even know who's maintaining the doc)
Only if you have permission, I dont want to knowingly have copy pasta added.

not to mention good ol' "What links here" (I didn't know about the icon on item pages being a link to that either)
Yeah not many people do, i usually leave it on the "Did you know?" section on the front page.

It's interesting that this exists: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Removed_Monsters but maybe it could go under a broader Deprecated Content category? I don't expect it to be a big category, but maybe it could cover things like the Delfkutt Key that was turned into a key item years ago, or that one item that used to be required to enter Ddynamis before the whole system was revamped?
Yeah that is a waste of a category. "Removed Items" is much broader that could be significantly larger and useful.

The list of templates is at https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Templates but it isnt quite as clear as that one.
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
Serveur: Asura
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2016-05-13 21:57:48
Link | Citer | R

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
I was actually talking with arcon about a ffxidb fix last week and it was about ready for testing. Think he got sidetracked when the update came out, but I would expect it to be up relatively soon.
It looks like this has been pushed at least it now shows drop info for all Escha/Reis/Tiamat-ish nms. Doesn't look like any new spawn locations were added/fixed to record though.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9