Forum » FFXI » General » 4K resolution FFXI and PS4
4K resolution FFXI and PS4
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
By Artemicion 2015-10-06 12:30:37
Link | Citer | R

Jassik said: »
Artemicion said: »
Siren.Akson said: »
Further testament to how 30 fps is actually sometimes the best route to a much higher quality game. I believe what ya said about the human eye sometimes, depending on the individual, being able to see beyond 60 fps yet looking at MGS5 in all its glory. How many are complaining?

For consoles, sure. You're always gonna get the biggest bang for your buck keeping resolution and framerate consistently on the lower echelons, because for the most part, consumers are generally indifferent about those two parameters. In exchange, you can squeeze out significantly more graphical nuances and details and overall a much more visually appealing game.

But if you ever want to go the route of no compromises (outside publishers releasing console shitty ports), you should consider PC gaming.

And for the most part be dissatisfied with the game selection and arbitrary limitations imposed by console-centric game development. In all honesty, you'll still have to own a console or two.

Not having to pay Sony or Microsoft every month for the privilege of using their bandwidth for online gameplay alone warrants going PC. But really, there's a plethora of reasons to break away from name brand gaming.

But alas, I'm circlejerking at this point. Consoles will always hold their merit of being a (relatively) inexpensive plug & play solution while holding fantastic optimization on static hardware over the course of nearly a decade at this rate.

Not to mention it's the only route to go for niche things like dance, motion, or peripheral based games.
[+]
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-06 12:42:57
Link | Citer | R

Exclusive titles alone have forced me to buy consoles of almost every generation at one point or another.
[+]
 Siren.Akson
Serveur: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: AKs0n
By Siren.Akson 2015-10-06 12:49:49
Link | Citer | R

Consoles not only have the greatest blockbuster franchises of gaming history but the real issue w/ PC gaming is that there is no set quality of standard. I'm not a PC gaming fan but I don't think PC even competes w/ consoles as of atm regardless of insider speculation about the future. The best gaming available has been and will always will be IMO on systems mass produced specifically for the gaming masses. PC gaming is a bigger headache than I care to be bothered with.
By Elizabet 2015-10-06 12:52:33
Link | Citer | R

I seriously doubt 4k @30 fps will makeppl forget about 1080p @ 60 fps... Mostly cause 4k stuff is already starting to lose the battle to ultrawide 1080p monitors. If anything, personally my future setup when I upgrade my pc, I'm not going 4k... I am going ultrawide, when the ultrawide get to 1440p and more or at least 60hz refresh rate.
By Artemicion 2015-10-06 12:55:48
Link | Citer | R

Consoles not only have the greatest blockbuster franchises of gaming history but the real issue w/ PC gaming is that there is no set quality of standard. I'm not a PC gaming fan but I don't think PC even competes w/ consoles as of atm regardless of insider speculation about the future. The best gaming available has been and will always will be IMO on systems mass produced specifically for the gaming masses. PC gaming is a bigger headache than I care to be bothered with.

For those that simply want something that works, that's fine. Consoles are for you. It's certainly understandable that you don't want to be bothered with things like compatible chipsets, sockets, RAM speed and capacity, or figuring out how much wattage you need out of your power supply unit, or if your form factor will work in a certain case or not, operating system installation, graphics drivers, etc.

Consoles certainly are the peanut butter and jelly of gaming, and many are content with that. But if you ever want that quantified threshold of performance, you know where to go.
By Elizabet 2015-10-06 12:55:55
Link | Citer | R

Depends entirely what games you play. Let's check the e-sport market on console again.... Lol. So really when you say "the best gamaing avaible" at least acknowledge that's its purely a subjective view.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-06 13:00:30
Link | Citer | R

I like consoles from the standpoint of gaming as a means to relax. PC gaming is definitely a more active experience, since the setup and planning and troubleshooting play a big part of the appeal. Console gaming is for those who just want to pop a disk in, hit a button, and play a game. They're obviously catering to different markets and consumers. Just about every other industry caters to their consumers, you don't see Ford telling all the people who want sports cars that a family sedan is sporty enough, they make a damn sports car.
[+]
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-10-06 13:00:32
Link | Citer | R

Ultrawide although showcasing more screen obviously left to right is still half the definition. It's like comparing an Ultrawide Low Def TV vs HD 1080p. Ultrawide 1080p vs 4K is the same thing?
By Artemicion 2015-10-06 13:01:02
Link | Citer | R

Exclusive titles alone have forced me to buy consoles of almost every generation at one point or another.

I know your pain. I hate to admit it, but I kind of want to see what all the fuss behind Destiny is about.

Not to mention things like Until Dawn, Halo 5, Uncharted 4, Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy XV, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last Guardian, etc. etc.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-10-06 13:04:02
Link | Citer | R

Elizabet said: »

Depends entirely what games you play. Let's check the e-sport market on console again.... Lol. So really when you say "the best gamaing avaible" at least acknowledge that's its purely a subjective view.
PC has better gaming?

I know your pain. I hate to admit it, but I kind of want to see what all the fuss behind Destiny is about.

Not to mention things like Until Dawn, Halo 5, Uncharted 4, Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy XV, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last Guardian, etc. etc.
Not on PC?

Consoles certainly are the peanut butter and jelly of gaming, and many are content with that. But if you ever want that quantified threshold of performance, you know where to go.
Yeah ino and makes me curious how MGS5 looks on PC but I'm content not having to deal w/ all that you mentioned.
By Artemicion 2015-10-06 13:09:20
Link | Citer | R

PC has better gaming?

Hertz to hertz, gigabyte to gigabyte, pixel to pixel, peripheral to peripheral, and strictly from an objective viewpoint: the answer is yes.

However, the things that go into PC gaming may not interest or pertain to your needs when it comes to gaming. Much like how not everyone is going to care about what kind of air filter is in their car. But nevertheless, I'd implore you to click that link I posted on the top of the page to see what kind of things you can get out of PC gaming.

Not on PC?

Nope. Console exclusive titles. The bane of PC gamers everywhere. But luckily things are getting better. Multi-platform titles are more or less the norm now.

Publisher and manufacturer greed is the only thing really holding us back. That and lazy ports.
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-10-06 13:19:51
Link | Citer | R

I'll look into it further thanks. It's just the idea and notion that I don't need to constantly upgrade and dump money into PC upgrades for gaming that keeps me on console. Let alone the console devs and games they publish.
I'm aware PC has more potential. It's just too much money to dump into such and I don't think I'm alone on that standpoint or this wouldn't even be a discussion atm.
 Fenrir.Richybear
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2015-10-06 13:20:08
Link | Citer | R

So the real question is: When they release the mobile game, will I be able to play on-the-go with my sick Nokia N-Gage?
By Jetackuu 2015-10-06 13:27:38
Link | Citer | R

Kingdom Hearts 3
I was going to skip the gen, but this really has me interested. Well that and the new gears for the competition.

Even though I never really played a KH game outside of 1/2 (I've tried on some others just never got too far).
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-06 13:28:46
Link | Citer | R

I'll look into it further thanks. It's just the idea and notion that I don't need to constantly upgrade and dump money into PC upgrades for gaming that keeps me on console. Let alone the console devs and games they publish.
I'm aware PC has more potential. It's just too much money to dump into such and I don't think I'm alone on that standpoint or this wouldn't even be a discussion atm.

The sad thing is that you only really need to dump money into a PC if you want to brag about your specs or do some really intensive stuff like making web content. A 5 year old PC will handle basically everything on the market at reasonable settings. Having power to spare is not a bad idea, but my machine is a workhorse and it doesn't bat an eye at anything on max settings. Most of the time while running VM's and watching netflix at the same time.
By Aeyela 2015-10-06 13:34:08
Link | Citer | R

You might not be alone on that standpoint, but that doesn't mean it's correct. I'd wager a very tidy sum of money that I've spent less on PCs in 10 years than you have on consoles and I work with heavy web and video development software so need a lot of processing power. Factor in any games we may have purchased and it's a no brainer. This "Consoles are cheaper" is just pure myth.
[+]
By Elizabet 2015-10-06 13:36:59
Link | Citer | R

Well, dollar for dollar, I spent way more on console stuff in the last 2 years than on all of my pc stuff, games included both side of the coin. The more I shift my focus from console to pc, the less money I end up spending.

Then again, I am quite resistant to steam sales.
[+]
 Siren.Akson
By Siren.Akson 2015-10-06 13:39:43
Link | Citer | R

Then if PC maintenance or initial investment is not as pricey as I had imagined. Then the real issue holding PC vs console back would be the game developers themselves no? They pick exclusive sides or multi-platform and routinely PC is not the prime target. I suspect this is just due to the mass market that consoles such as PS4 garnish in sales deems consoles more attractive for developers. Either that or Nokia N-Gage has turned the scales. Some how.
Aeyela said: »

You might not be alone on that standpoint, but that doesn't mean it's correct. I'd wager a very tidy sum of money that I've spent less on PCs in 10 years than you have on consoles and I work with heavy web and video development software so need a lot of processing power. Factor in any games we may have purchased and it's a no brainer. This "Consoles are cheaper" is just pure myth.
My PS4 ran me $400 day 1 launch so unless PC is equal price and specs then it's all about the games themselves and in that standpoint PC is not equal.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-06 13:44:12
Link | Citer | R

Then if PC maintenance or initial investment is not as pricey as I had imagined. Then the real issue holding PC vs console back would be the game developers themselves no? They pick exclusive sides or multi-platform and routinely PC is not the prime target. I suspect this is just due to the mass market that consoles such as PS4 garnish in sales deems consoles more attractive for developers. Either that or Nokia N-Gage has turned the scales. Some how.

It's more that pc gaming isn't as popular. There isn't profit in PC game sales, partly because it's not popular enough and partly because of things like piracy. That said, the current model of selling unfinished games with ridiculous development budgets then forcing day one patches and using 1/4 of the developed content as DLC is pushing more gamers out of the console market and into PC. The market will either balance itself out or crash and then balance.

For what it's worth, the developers that get on this train early and hard stand to be riding the wave rather than consumed by it.
By Artemicion 2015-10-06 13:46:49
Link | Citer | R

The best thing about PCs in comparison to consoles is that they're more or less 100% modular. You can literally pick and choose every part within and mold it to your needs based on your budget. And from that point you can choose where to improve your experience, such as a higher end GPU to push higher resolution and/or frame rates, or run ultra settings on more games. Perhaps you want a faster boot time, then picking up a SSD is no problem. Find yourself to be a big multi-tasker and a tab *** in Chrome or Firefox? Boom, nothing a stick or two of RAM can't fix.
By Aeyela 2015-10-06 13:47:47
Link | Citer | R

I suppose that comes back to personal preference and what sort of games you enjoy playing. My personal favourite genres are either strategy games or open world sandbox games (like Minecraft.) Whilst the latter is fine on console and indeed very popular, I just couldn't imagine playing Starcraft or Age of Empires with a controller and being any good at it.

On the other hand, there are games exclusive to the console that others might prefer to play so in those cases it's a no brainer that they'd prefer a console.

When it comes to games, it's purely subjective.
By Artemicion 2015-10-06 13:48:49
Link | Citer | R

It's more that pc gaming isn't as popular.

I wouldn't say that.

This is not including things like GOG, Origin, or offline users, so don't count PC gamers out of being a cash crop just because console gamers get such bloated marketing budgets.
 Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Ninjaface
By Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface 2015-10-06 13:49:48
Link | Citer | R

The point I was trying to make about truly accurate emulators came up already with people talking about virtualization and the fact that everyone's using the same hardware components anyway.

I can already "emulate" linux and Mac operating systems on my windows machine and vice versa, just by dedicating some of my system resources to those virtual systems. It isn't a stretch to assume that with a properly written system image I could do the same with the OS that a ps4 or an xbone run. I think the only issue would be their weird proprietary resource allocations.

I also want to throw my chip into the "consoles are cheaper is a myth" pile. It's at most the same to have either one. If you don't want cutting edge/high performance parts whenever you do eventually upgrade like I do, a PC requiring hardware upgrades far less often if everything is in working order helps keep the costs way down. I was getting 30 frames in 1080 running The Witcher 3 on a GTX 480 that was on it's way out the door and an i5 that's still going strong. I bought that 480 second hand like 4 years ago. That myth seems largely perpetuated by the fact that new cards and processors get released a lot more often than new consoles, but absolutely no one is upgrading even half as often as that.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2015-10-06 13:50:08
Link | Citer | R

offline users
Forgotten and neglected base.
[+]
By Artemicion 2015-10-06 13:50:56
Link | Citer | R

Jetackuu said: »
offline users
Forgotten and neglected base.

You're still there, and we still love you. We just don't know you're there.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface
Serveur: Quetzalcoatl
user: Ninjaface
By Quetzalcoatl.Ninjaface 2015-10-06 13:50:56
Link | Citer | R

My PS4 ran me $400 day 1 launch so unless PC is equal price and specs then it's all about the games themselves and in that standpoint PC is not equal.
For the same specs I'd say a PC is probably fairly easy to build at that price.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-06 13:53:28
Link | Citer | R

It's more that pc gaming isn't as popular.

I wouldn't say that.

This is not including things like GOG, Origin, or offline users, so don't count PC gamers out of being a cash crop just because console gamers get such bloated marketing budgets.

Considering the new consoles have almost 70 million in sales and about 120 million of their last generation still in use, 9 million people logged into Steam is hardly popular in a AAA developer's eyes.
By Jetackuu 2015-10-06 13:56:03
Link | Citer | R

*rubs temples*
By Artemicion 2015-10-06 13:56:34
Link | Citer | R

Considering the new consoles have almost 70 million in sales

Concurrent online users and hardware sales make for a false equivalence. These are two separate data entries and tell two completely different things.

It's kinda old, but gives better insight.
and about 120 million of their last generation still in use,

That's what happens when you forgo backwards compatibility. You kind of pigeon hole people who spent hundreds on the previous generation's roster of games, only to have them become completely useless with the next release.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-10-06 14:00:02
Link | Citer | R

Considering the new consoles have almost 70 million in sales

Concurrent online users and hardware sales make for a false equivalence. These are two separate data entries and tell two completely different things.

It's kinda old, but gives better insight.
and about 120 million of their last generation still in use,

That's what happens when you forgo backwards compatibility. You kind of pigeon hole people who spent hundreds on the previous generation's roster of games, only to have them become completely useless with the next release.

I completely agree on backward compatibility. I do like that a lot of them are being offered on PSN/XBL for the newer systems, but I cannot believe they don't offer some kind of "you already bought it" credit.