FFVII Remake... It's Official! (Discussion)

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » FFVII Remake... It's official! (Discussion)
FFVII Remake... It's official! (Discussion)
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19 20 ... 23 24 25
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-12-05 18:09:49
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Raenil said: »
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
^that. You don't start out with all the strongest materias.
That's kinda my point. I don't really use anything else except for Cure until that point. Well, besides Lightning in Midgar because Midgar is full of mechanical bosses and you get it for free.

Nothing else felt like it was particularly useful.

Must've never used Enemy Skill materia then. Magic Missile and Aqua Breath were the best way to clear random battles until you got stronger AoE skills, and White Wind/Mighty Guard were exceptional for saving turns healing and buffing.

Counterattack + Cover materia made anything that used physical attacks a joke.

Just a couple of examples. Running around autoattacking and casting cure for the entire game until you get the strongest materias may be possible, but it doesn't make the other materias useless, particularly when they speed up the progress toward the strongest materias.
I was specifically talking about materia that would actually need a command slot like Fire, Quake, etc. My hard-on for support and independent materia knows no bounds.

Why wouldn't support materia require a command slot? Something like Magic Missile won't know that it's supposed to fire off on its own, you'll need to bind it to a slot in order to use it. Sans any sort of mid-fight pause that allows you to choose your abilities and then unleash them tactically, like the original DA:O's Command mode, it'll be more similar to a Crisis Core or KH "hold down the shoulder button to get 4 magic slots" deal.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2015-12-05 18:11:01
Link | Citer | R

I'm against this action type, though I can see the reasoning for this specific game(more on this below).
Turned base combat with modern graphics is not unheard of, first things that come to mind are FFX and Last Remnant. If you wanna go over a more dynamic route but still turn based there are also XI and XII as examples.
This is however full KH style(from what I can tell from this very short trailer sequence at least), and while I do love that series, I also never had a strategy ever when playing it, I just spammed attack till the game was no more. I like strategy games, which is why turn base is within my tastes, action? Not so much...
But it's not so surprising that this remakes goes in this direction: just think of the spinoffs and you can see a continuity with that which is really not so strange at all.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-12-05 18:14:34
Link | Citer | R

Also re: immersion breaking Static Fields... do it like CHrono Trigger. Did none of you ever play that game?
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-05 18:14:51
Link | Citer | R

They have a magic slot in the commands if you're worried about that, you can see it in the trailer

Attack
Magic
Summon
Items
Defend
 Asura.Failaras
Serveur: Asura
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2015-12-05 18:15:40
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Floppyseconds said: »
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
I'm against this action type, though I can see the reasoning for this specific game(more on this below).
Turned base combat with modern graphics is not unheard of, first things that come to mind are FFX and Last Remnant. If you wanna go over a more dynamic route but still turn based there are also XI and XII as examples.
This is however full KH style(from what I can tell from this very short trailer sequence at least), and while I do love that series, I also never had a strategy ever when playing it, I just spammed attack till the game was no more. I like strategy games, which is why turn base is within my tastes, action? Not so much...
But it's not so surprising that this remakes goes in this direction: just think of the spinoffs and you can see a continuity with that which is really not so strange at all.

Yeah, but FFX was from 2002 or something and the first FF to have voice acting. Can't really call it modern at all.

As much as I love X and the turn based system. Today's gaming demands a little more.
That's silly, turn based games are still doing extremely well in today's gaming world and no one is "demanding a little more". They are two completely different genres that play to different people, neither is better than the other. The problem is taking a classic turn based game that people wanted to be rereleased and shoving a character action system in it.
[+]
By Draylo 2015-12-05 18:15:49
Link | Citer | R

To me that is implying that only action-RPG and such systems are superior and I just can't agree. To me turn based combat games are more like chess or something similar, slower paced but more thought involved imo. There were a few games posted that have turn based combat in modern day, but they aren't as commonplace because the majority of gamers do not prefer it. Most games that do the turn based are jRPG's because I guess JP people prefer it. Most people hate chess too and don't know how to play so there's that lol. They are just two different systems of gameplay, I don't see why turn based has to be considered archaic.
 Phoenix.Erics
Serveur: Phoenix
user: prophets
By Phoenix.Erics 2015-12-05 18:16:20
Link | Citer | R

How is loading a static field for turn based combat not immersion breaking? Hell, it's basically the definition of immersion breaking.
For me, a large part of ff7 was spending time thinking about combat. What ability/spell to use, when, how to beat bosses and harder enemies without having to be over leveled. It kept me much more immersed than split second spamming the same thing over and over (fodder mobs aside). I liked being able to beat the heart monster where odins materia is early in the game due to planning and strategy, rather than just over leveling and stomping him. Open field combat doesnt allow for careful tactician of combat its more hack and smash which is much more mindless and un-immersive than 100 random battle screens between cities.
 Phoenix.Erics
By Phoenix.Erics 2015-12-05 18:17:55
Link | Citer | R

chrono triggers open field combat was closer to ff7s turn based than open field combat would be today.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-12-05 18:20:03
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Failaras said: »

Yeah, but FFX was from 2002 or something and the first FF to have voice acting. Can't really call it modern at all.

As much as I love X and the turn based system. Today's gaming demands a little more.
That's silly, turn based games are still doing extremely well in today's gaming world and no one is "demanding a little more". They are two completely different genres that play to different people, neither is better than the other. The problem is taking a classic turn based game that people wanted to be rereleased and shoving a character action system in it.

To add to this, the FFX HD Remaster was the 5th highest selling PS3 title and the number one selling Vita title (last time I checked, might be even higher for PS3 now) and was cited by SE on more than one occasion as "the reason for our improved financial situation".
 Ragnarok.Raenil
Serveur: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2015-12-05 18:20:10
Link | Citer | R

Draylo said: »
Have you never played any other FF game or turn based RPG? I didn't feel it was immersion breaking, but who says they have to transport you to a static field for combat to make it turn based? FFX actually had a lot of seamless shift battles from what I recall, I'd imagine it be something like that but expanded upon.
YouTube Video Placeholder

That isn't seamless. There's a very blatant shift from field to combat.

I've played every Final Fantasy I can get my hands on and I enjoy them all immensely. Xenosaga is possibly my absolute favorite game series and it's turn based as well.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-05 18:20:20
Link | Citer | R

I wonder how people would feel about this game and the fighting mechanics if VII hadn't existed before this point. I think that's the only way to truly gauge its quality, as many people will be loving/hating it simply because of what it once was as opposed to what it will be. Overrated or not, FFVII is my favorite game ever so I know it's hard for me to approach it unbiased. I think it looks great, but taking off the nostalgia goggles isn't easy.
[+]
By Draylo 2015-12-05 18:23:11
Link | Citer | R

Draylo said: »
Have you never played any other FF game or turn based RPG? I didn't feel it was immersion breaking, but who says they have to transport you to a static field for combat to make it turn based? FFX actually had a lot of seamless shift battles from what I recall, I'd imagine it be something like that but expanded upon.
YouTube Video Placeholder

That isn't seamless. There's a very blatant shift from field to combat.

I've played every Final Fantasy I can get my hands on and I enjoy them all immensely. Xenosaga is possibly my absolute favorite game series and it's turn based as well.

I didn't mean the entire game, I said they had "a lot" not completely had them. Like for example if you look at the beginning where you fight the first boss with Auron, theres that seamless shift that occurs, I don't feel like looking up the video but you can find it. They have quite a few of those moments in the game, that's an example I would use for a system they could use for a turn based game.
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2015-12-05 18:24:00
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Erics said: »
For me, a large part of ff7 was spending time thinking about combat. What ability/spell to use, when, how to beat bosses and harder enemies without having to be over leveled. It kept me much more immersed than split second spamming the same thing over and over (fodder mobs aside).

Open field combat doesnt allow for careful tactician of combat its more hack and smash which is much more mindless and un-immersive than 100 random battle screens between cities.
XII did the forethought element far better than any turn based system in Final Fantasy ever did.

And Open field combat can absolutely be tactical. How can you even say that with a Solaire avatar?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Citer | R

Post deleted by User.
VIP
By Jassik 2015-12-05 18:26:21
Link | Citer | R

There was a little of that, random encounters are a bit of a mess in older FF titles. There's been a few field combat turn-based games that I recall that did it OK. Still, there's nothing that says it can't be active turn based in the field. It looks from the gameplay video that it's going to be almost exactly that. Although, the editing makes it a little tough to tell.
 Cerberus.Conagh
Serveur: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-12-05 18:28:41
Link | Citer | R

How is loading a static field for turn based combat not immersion breaking? Hell, it's basically the definition of immersion breaking.
For me, a large part of ff7 was spending time thinking about combat. What ability/spell to use, when, how to beat bosses and harder enemies without having to be over leveled. It kept me much more immersed than split second spamming the same thing over and over (fodder mobs aside). I liked being able to beat the heart monster where odins materia is early in the game due to planning and strategy, rather than just over leveling and stomping him. Open field combat doesnt allow for careful tactician of combat its more hack and smash which is much more mindless and un-immersive than 100 random battle screens between cities.

I'll completely grant you the strategy comment, but at this point there's not alot we can do about it. SE is after monies, they know 90% of FF7 fans will buy because of the name alone, where as they want new players to buy, so they go for the people who go ooooo flashy.

It was an abvious change.
 Asura.Failaras
By Asura.Failaras 2015-12-05 18:34:05
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Failaras said: »

No, Heathstone doesn't count as a successful turn based game for the sake of this debate.

The audience SE has been building to since FFXII and FFX-2 on the PS2 is not turn based.

They honestly should just take the same exact game VII was and just depixelate it and rerelease it and then release this remake though.
I wasn't even thinking of Hearthstone. As proth posted earlier, Bravely Default was a MASSIVE success and based around a system from FF3 that you would see as something people don't want. Fire Emblem is another strategy turn based game that is an absolute powerhouse now. Persona anyone? Even niche JRPGs like the Atelier series are doing pretty well in their specific markets.
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
Serveur: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2015-12-05 18:42:48
Link | Citer | R

Most of the modern successful turn-based games are for portable systems (DS/3DS), which generally have a different set of expectations from the consoles.
 Phoenix.Erics
By Phoenix.Erics 2015-12-05 18:52:22
Link | Citer | R

And Open field combat can absolutely be tactical.
Alot of people seem to hate ff12 i liked it, ive played through it multiple times but the game was designed originally with this playstyle to be used. Compared to ff7 the maps were huge. There a few different elements in 12 that 7 doesnt have which made it work, like gambits. However the games combat system wasnt without its flaws it felt a bit clunky at times but overall it was done well because the game was designed around it. (At no fault to its combat system, it ended up like ff10 where at endgame none of the chars were distinguishable from one another (only yunas summoning). Once you maxed out sphere/license bored the characters were pretty much all the same people. Maxed out ff7 are all different with different limit break abilities. It isnt relevant to the combat discussion but something i noticed over the years.) Dark souls does an amazing job at open world combat but the world is also designed for such things it fits into it and the world/mechanics complement each other. I cant help think about all the changes they will have to make to ff7 to accommodate this different play style, which will needlessly alter memorable elements from the game. I am not claiming the altered elements will be worse but this isnt a sequel they are supposed to just be retelling the story. They are banking on making money from peoples nostalgia while trying to change the game at the same time. I Bought the ff10 remake which was the exact same game with enhance graphics, whats so hard about doing that. I understand the ff10 original and remake were just visibly enhanced versions of the other which you could do yourself by running most ps2 games on an emulator. But theres not much of a reason to change ff7 instead of just doing what people wanted, upgrading graphics and keeping all other elements the same.
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2015-12-05 18:56:09
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
(At no fault to its combat system, it ended up like ff10 where at endgame none of the chars were distinguishable from one another (only yunas summoning). Once you maxed out sphere/license bored the characters were pretty much all the same people

For this reason, I really wish they had released the International version outside of Japan =(
 Bahamut.Malothar
user: Malithar
By Bahamut.Malothar 2015-12-05 18:56:16
Link | Citer | R

Cerberus.Kylos said: »
As far as character portrayal, everything in the trailer is in the same light as the original, except the fact you fight the first boss again on top of the train. In the original you killed it in the Mako Reactor, and it never appeared after Cloud jumped on the train. That was shocking for me, obviously they couldn't do that in 1997.

This is what I'm most interested in, subtle changes that alter the experience of the game. They could do extended stories and quests for some to flesh them out more as well, but adding in slight differences that'll make anyone playing the game again go "wait what? that's new!" will be really neat.

Here's to hoping nothing gets axed. They had quite a few mini games that were almost a whole different game themselves, the highway bike fight, snowboarding, submarine battles, etc.
[+]
 Asura.Failaras
By Asura.Failaras 2015-12-05 18:59:22
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Most of the modern successful turn-based games are for portable systems (DS/3DS), which generally have a different set of expectations from the consoles.
Two of those series I mentioned, Persona and Atelier, released first on consoles like the PS2/3/4 and then rereleased on handhelds with a plus version. Persona 4 may best be known for its Golden version on Vita but it was a PS2 game well before that.
 Phoenix.Erics
By Phoenix.Erics 2015-12-05 19:01:28
Link | Citer | R

Siren.Kyte said: »
For this reason, I really wish they had released the International version outside of Japan =(
If you arent opposed to emulating it, there are english versions of the international versions available. The license board is pretty different at first glance, you get to pick one class only, but i havent got that far into that version. They also look very HD compared to running it on ps2 with graphics up enough.
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2015-12-05 19:08:08
Link | Citer | R

FFX HD isn't a remake, it's a remaster. It got its textures and resolution upgraded and its music was improved a decent bit. All those did was make the game prettier. We did admittedly get a bonus with it being the 'International' version of the game that never saw NA, with additional content.

What they're doing with VII and what they did with X are completely different things.
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2015-12-05 19:09:11
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
If you arent opposed to emulating it, there are english versions of the international versions available. The license board is pretty different at first glance, you get to pick one class only, but i havent got that far into that version. They also look very HD compared to running it on ps2 with graphics up enough.

I've been hoping that they would formally release an HD version with an International version options, but I'll probably end up trying to emulate it one of these days.
 Phoenix.Erics
By Phoenix.Erics 2015-12-05 19:09:16
Link | Citer | R

Guess i was mistaken then, i want a ff7 remaster then not a remake.. oh well.
 Bahamut.Ravael
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-05 19:13:05
Link | Citer | R

Guess i was mistaken then, i want a ff7 remaster then not a remake.. oh well.

Best case scenario? They finish the remake and do a remaster of the original down the road with the resources used in the remake.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2015-12-05 19:16:50
Link | Citer | R

I'm not sure how much a graphics upscale can make VII look prettier. Particularly with the prerendered backgrounds.

At best, they'd maybe replace the blocky models with the much better combat models and upscale/retextrue them.
 Valefor.Redenius
user: Redenius
By Valefor.Redenius 2015-12-05 19:17:06
Link | Citer | R

I haven't read through all the posts but if you haven't seen this then check it out. It gives you a glimpse of the random encounters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3sBZ5Nr4hc&feature=youtu.be
First Page 2 3 ... 18 19 20 ... 23 24 25