FFVII Remake... It's Official! (Discussion)

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » FFVII Remake... It's official! (Discussion)
FFVII Remake... It's official! (Discussion)
First Page 2 3 ... 17 18 19 ... 23 24 25
By Draylo 2015-12-05 17:08:17
Link | Citer | R

I don't see how I'm angry just because I prefer one gameplay style over another, I'm just leaving my opinion here like everyone else. I was specifically talking about the original remake I guess, so you could say the gamecube version. It was a complete step up in graphics over the original version, that's for sure. It probably doesn't spark the same interest because that is your personal interest, you liked FF7 more most likely. I don't see how that applies to the discussion though. You originally said any game that is made in today's market with this system will die on release or some such.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Raenil
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2015-12-05 17:13:02
Link | Citer | R

Draylo said: »
Just because its a remake doesn't mean you have to change everything. Yes a new action-rpg type battle system will appease the mass meatheads and bring in more profit, it will just upset the old fans too. Look at the Resident Evil REMAKE(yes remake) they did not change the core of the game... it still has the same tank controls (with an option of changing it somewhat.)
The combat system si the only thing I've seen changed so far. Please tell me what this "everything" entails.

Tank controls are almost a requirement for games with set cinematic camera angles. And because of the setting of the game, being 99% small rooms and hallways, going RE4 style wasn't going to work very well. Also, tank controls aren't a combat system, bad comparison is bad.

REmake changed the layout of large portions of the game, added new puzzles, combat mechanics, story elements, a few enemy changes and item placement. While it shares a lot of the elements from the original it feels and plays like a VERY different game.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-05 17:15:13
Link | Citer | R

"Meatheads" lol, like you can't make an action RPG difficult
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Serveur: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-12-05 17:15:33
Link | Citer | R

Was expecting them to shift it over to FFX or FFX-2 style turn-based to give the combat system a bit more of a facelift. Crisis Core/Kingdom Hearts style combat system could end up severely limiting things. Equipping 4-8 magics/abilities only instead of having access to an entire arsenal? Yeah, that's a big step forward.

The only things that I can see improving from this kind of overhaul are animations and party combination attacks; but let's face it, there won't be combo attacks.

Let's also not ignore how Crisis Core devolves into "Spam Quake to win" by the middle of it, so let's hope the same ***doesn't happen here. Kingdom Hearts is only saved by including Proud and Critical modes.

mfw I'm agreeing with Draylo on something this is weird
[+]
By Draylo 2015-12-05 17:17:40
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
The combat system si the only thing I've seen changed so far. Please tell me what this "everything" entails.

Tank controls are almost a requirement for games with set cinematic camera angles. And because of the setting of the game, being 99% small rooms and hallways, going RE4 style wasn't going to work very well. Also, tank controls aren't a combat system, bad comparison is bad.

REmake changed the layout of large portions of the game, added new puzzles, combat mechanics, story elements, a few enemy changes and item placement. While it shares a lot of the elements from the original it

It was implied since its a remake that most of the old stuff should be changed otherwise "go play the original."

It isn't a bad comparison, they could have added the combat from RE4 with the option of aiming yourself with the red laser and such but they didn't. They kept the combat the exact same as the original and I bet they will do the same for RE2 remake coming.

It certainly does not feel like a very different game, I've played the originals countless times and playing the remake recently on PS4 it was like an improved version and very enjoyable.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
Serveur: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2015-12-05 17:20:54
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Raenil said: »
Just because its a remake doesn't mean you have to change everything. Yes a new action-rpg type battle system will appease the mass meatheads and bring in more profit, it will just upset the old fans too. Look at the Resident Evil REMAKE(yes remake) they did not change the core of the game... it still has the same tank controls (with an option of changing it somewhat.)

REmake changed the layout of large portions of the game, added new puzzles, combat mechanics, story elements, a few enemy changes and item placement. While it shares a lot of the elements from the original it feels and plays like a VERY different game.

This. And the Gamecube version didn't get tons of praise either, probably because it was released only on the Gamecube in the early 2000s. Had they waited to do a full remake til 2015 on the PS4, it would have a completely different story; like they've done with RE2.
By Draylo 2015-12-05 17:21:31
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
"Meatheads" lol, like you can't make an action RPG difficult

It's almost as if you didn't even bother to read the post. Nowhere did I say you can't make an action RPG difficult.

Quote:
This. And the Gamecube version didn't get tons of praise either, probably because it was released only on the Gamecube in the early 2000s. Had they waited to do a full remake til 2015 on the PS4, it would have a completely different story; like they've done with RE2.

Er, are you going off what a random scrub on gamefaqs says or actual evidence? Sales and reviews across the board speak differently. Google the reviews for gamecube yourself.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-05 17:22:57
Link | Citer | R

I loved the gameplay of the original, but I really don't understand the fierce opposition to the new system. I guess maybe I just cared more about the story, music, and the characters than how much fun it was to d-pad menu my way to victory. Aside from the animations, limit breaks, and some stat differences, the characters all fought roughly the same. Just from the short video alone we can see that this is no longer the case. I'm particularly interested in seeing how Red XII fights, and even more interested in seeing how combat differs with respect to large enemies like the Weapons.
 Cerberus.Conagh
Serveur: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2015-12-05 17:25:02
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Erics said: »
Cerberus.Conagh said: »
Graphics of this level? No but Divinity 1 /2 comes to mind.
pretty great looking turn based game with an amazing story and ability to immerse. It isnt impossible and the people claiming its too slow paced/time for a change arent understanding that all the elements of ff7, not just the story and characters made it memorable. Im getting it either way but it doesnt mean i have to kiss SE's *** every step of the way.

While that's certainly a good game, that's quiet old these days.
By Draylo 2015-12-05 17:25:03
Link | Citer | R

I personally don't even have a fierce opposition to this game. Just seeing this trailer I am still planning to buy it and I'm sure I will enjoy it. I only said I personally prefer turn based combat, particularly for this (didn't even go into why.) My only disagreement in here is where someone said that any game made in the modern day with that turn based system will fail.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-05 17:26:57
Link | Citer | R

Every time you complain about the battle system you call people who enjoy faster gameplay "meatheads" like they're stupid and can't handle turn based. It fits with with the remake, get over it. If you want turn based then play the hundreds of other games that have it, no one's forcing you to buy this.

It's not 100% like the old one but why does it have to be? You act like it will suck because the battle system is a bit different without even trying it.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-05 17:29:29
Link | Citer | R

I personally don't even have a fierce opposition to this game. Just seeing this trailer I am still planning to buy it and I'm sure I will enjoy it. I only said I personally prefer turn based combat, particularly for this (didn't even go into why.) My only disagreement in here is where someone said that any game made in the modern day with that turn based system will fail.

Yeah, I don't think that all turn-based systems are doomed in the modern era. I'm just happy to see these characters in a new light. Sure it may restrict the number of commands we can bring into combat, but FFVII was way too easy for me anyway so it'll be nice to have some real-time skill involved.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-12-05 17:30:56
Link | Citer | R

Totes failed 0/10 would not play.

And come on, it's Final Fantasy god damn VII, it has one of the most rabid zealot fanbases ever in the history of media and a hype train that, while not entirely deserved, is completely unstoppable. If you really think the game would flop and fail in any capacity for being turn based instead of action (or vice versa) you're not very smart.

It doesn't stop people from wanting the game to be more true to the original in terms of the gameplay, especially since most of us who have wanted to see older FFs get remade have wanted them to look prettier and get better translations rather than being completely reinvented. They're already making all of the new FFs fall in line with action combat and "faster paced" combat, you don't need to change all the old ones to meet that criteria as well.
[+]
By Draylo 2015-12-05 17:33:23
Link | Citer | R

Every time you complain about the battle system you call people who enjoy faster gameplay "meatheads" like they're stupid and can't handle turn based. It fits with with the remake, get over it. If you want turn based then play the hundreds of other games that have it, no one's forcing you to buy this.

It's not 100% like the old one but why does it have to be? You act like it will suck because the battle system is a bit different without even trying it.

Wow really guy? Just stop, I said none of that so you are just putting words into my posts.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-05 17:34:54
Link | Citer | R

Except you have in other threads
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2015-12-05 17:35:57
Link | Citer | R

Did people really use every materia they equipped?

I typically only used materia like Long Range, HP Plus, MP Plus and a Neo/Bahamut/ZERO on each member of my party for quick trash clears. At least until Cut-All/Flash come into play. 2x/4x Cut for bosses.
By Draylo 2015-12-05 17:36:22
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
Except you have in other threads

I think you're being a little too aggressive atm, please calm down.
By Draylo 2015-12-05 17:38:05
Link | Citer | R

I typically only used materia like Long Range, HP Plus, MP Plus and a Neo/Bahamut/ZERO on each member of my party for quick trash clears. At least until Cut-All/Flash come into play. 2x/4x Cut for bosses.

Towards the end I didn't but getting there I typically used most if not all of them at some point.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-12-05 17:39:26
Link | Citer | R

^that. You don't start out with all the strongest materias. I can't think of any way that something like, say, Enemy Skill materia will work with this new system.
[+]
 Phoenix.Erics
Serveur: Phoenix
user: prophets
By Phoenix.Erics 2015-12-05 17:44:07
Link | Citer | R

If you want turn based then play the hundreds of other games that have it, no one's forcing you to buy this.
great argument though.. play the hundreds of other turn based games. You know.. like the original? You still haven't given an arguement for why it should change beyond 'its time for a change' and you prefer fast paced combat. That running around while fighting giving you the illusion that your combat choices matter more than they do has no real substance and makes the gameplay less enticing. Id rather them keep the random walking around encounters that take you to another battle screen. How would it be too complicated to upgrade the visual effects of attacks/limits/summonings in combat vs. overhauling the game entirely for a battle system that the game wasnt intended to use. At the end of combat killing something on an open battle field doesnt give the same sense of accomplishment that the end of a fight int he old ff7 did with the panning camera and triumphant music each time.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-12-05 17:47:27
Link | Citer | R

Killing all those low level mobs that harassed you when you were traveling was such an accomplishment
[+]
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2015-12-05 17:47:45
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
^that. You don't start out with all the strongest materias.
That's kinda my point. I don't really use anything else except for Cure until that point. Well, besides Lightning in Midgar because Midgar is full of mechanical bosses and you get it for free.

Nothing else felt like it was particularly useful.
 Bismarck.Ihina
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2015-12-05 17:49:56
Link | Citer | R

You basically just need an ultimate weapon, the x4 cut material, maybe 1 hp materia and maybe the enemy skill materia for big guard/white wind.

Or you can go the mega all -> deathblow + added cut route w/mystile, add in a command counter with death blow, maybe some added effect +hades with that. Sneak in a Cover materia

Man I miss this game.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-12-05 17:51:53
Link | Citer | R

Killing all those low level mobs that harassed you when you were traveling was such an accomplishment

I think I'll have more fun mowing them down Dynasty Warriors style.
[+]
 Phoenix.Erics
Serveur: Phoenix
user: prophets
By Phoenix.Erics 2015-12-05 17:57:54
Link | Citer | R

Except it was part of the game as annoying as it might have been it was the original game. I dont recall them Renaming the game FF7-2, the point of the remake is to bring back the excitement and the games experience which at the time was new.
Im not against them changing the game to be exciting again, however, you dont do this by changing abandoning the original combat structure for some fast-paced anti-immersion gameplay that is hardly new because its "how games are now".
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2015-12-05 18:00:29
Link | Citer | R

That's kinda my point. I don't really use anything else except for Cure until that point. Well, besides Lightning in Midgar because Midgar is full of mechanical bosses and you get it for free.

Must've never used Enemy Skill materia then. Magic Missile and Aqua Breath were the best way to clear random battles until you got stronger AoE skills, and White Wind/Mighty Guard were exceptional for saving turns healing and buffing.

Counterattack + Cover materia made anything that used physical attacks a joke.

Just a couple of examples. Running around autoattacking and casting cure for the entire game until you get the strongest materias may be possible, but it doesn't make the other materias useless, particularly when they speed up the progress toward the strongest materias.
[+]
 Bahamut.Vinedrius
user: Devrom
By Bahamut.Vinedrius 2015-12-05 18:01:04
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
The voice acting was pretty bad. I don't like that Barrett is wearing sunglasses, hides so much of his expression. Cloud also looks and sounds too boyish.

Never was a fan of Cloud's "fake personality" thing, I think it was a weak character and storytelling direction. I tend to forget the whole Zack character and sequence cuz it's just so dumb.

Yeah, the back story was very underdeveloped in FFVII. It was so scattered and ambigious at times that it may come across as dumb. The ending of Crisis Core ties the story of Zack and Cloud's back story pretty well though. That last scene... /manlytears.

You can think of that moment as similar to hypnotic suggestion. You know, Cloud was suffering heavy mako-poisoning and Zack manipulated him even if he didn't mean to.
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2015-12-05 18:02:48
Link | Citer | R

Must've never used Enemy Skill materia then. Magic Missile and Aqua Breath were the best way to clear random battles until you got stronger AoE skills, and White Wind/Mighty Guard were exceptional for saving turns healing and buffing.

Counterattack + Cover materia made anything that used physical attacks a joke.

Just a couple of examples. Running around autoattacking and casting cure for the entire game until you get the strongest materias may be possible, but it doesn't make the other materias useless, particularly when they speed up the progress toward the strongest materias.
I was specifically talking about materia that would actually need a command slot like Fire, Quake, etc. My hard-on for support and independent materia knows no bounds.
 Ragnarok.Raenil
By Ragnarok.Raenil 2015-12-05 18:07:16
Link | Citer | R

Phoenix.Erics said: »
Im not against them changing the game to be exciting again, however, you dont do this by changing abandoning the original combat structure for some fast-paced anti-immersion gameplay that is hardly new because its "how games are now".
How is loading a static field for turn based combat not immersion breaking? Hell, it's basically the definition of immersion breaking.

Non-immersion breaking would be a seamless shift from cutscene/field movement into combat. MGS4 is pretty good example of this most of the time. Kingdom Hearts is pretty good about field movement to combat transition.
By Draylo 2015-12-05 18:09:36
Link | Citer | R

Have you never played any other FF game or turn based RPG? I didn't feel it was immersion breaking, but who says they have to transport you to a static field for combat to make it turn based? FFX actually had a lot of seamless shift battles from what I recall, I'd imagine it be something like that but expanded upon.
First Page 2 3 ... 17 18 19 ... 23 24 25