Very Odd Issue With Glowing Borders

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Windower » Support » Very odd issue with glowing borders
Very odd issue with glowing borders
By Morcheeba 2015-06-13 23:09:03
Link | Citer | R

Hi all,

Just started playing again, and I cant help but to be bothered by this graphic issues I'm having... wonder if anyone has the same issue? Anything that is glowing (Magian Moogles, Maws, Avatars, NPCs, etc.) has this crazy stairstepped border surrounding it... I have a GTX 970. Everything else in the game looks beautiful.

Some things I have tried:

1. Adjusted MIP Mapping (0~6)
2. Adjusted Nvidia card settings to the moon and back (app specific; no dice)
3. Adjusted background resolution 50 different ways
4. Rolled back drivers, updated drivers
5. Tried bordered window, windowless, and full screen
etc.

I've tried everything I can to fix it, but I don't ever remember having this issue with my AMD card back in the day and its the same rig (just updated the card). Any thoughts or suggestions? Pic below:

By Morcheeba 2015-06-13 23:09:55
Link | Citer | R

Doesnt look like the above link worked. Click here to view pic.
 Siren.Kyte
Serveur: Siren
Game: FFXI
By Siren.Kyte 2015-06-13 23:13:00
Link | Citer | R

Actually I've been noticing the same thing with Lion II (probably other stuff too- I just haven't paid as much attention) and I have the same card.
 Asura.Morcheeba
Serveur: Asura
user: Morcheeba
By Asura.Morcheeba 2015-06-13 23:14:39
Link | Citer | R

Isn't it odd? I want to play SMN but I can't even stomach the terrible glowing effect I'm seeing on Avatars :/
By Morcheeba 2015-06-13 23:15:46
Link | Citer | R

Lion II is REALLY bad on my PC. Like, the border in the picture but way worse.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-06-13 23:17:12
Link | Citer | R

It almost looks like your game is just really bad at Photoshop.
By Morcheeba 2015-06-13 23:29:55
Link | Citer | R

^ {fact}
 Ragnarok.Orlind
Serveur: Ragnarok
user: Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-06-14 01:55:54
Link | Citer | R

That's not a normal effect in this game? I've noticed it on 3 different cards myself over the last 10 years.
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
Serveur: Sylph
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2015-06-14 04:54:52
Link | Citer | R

it's 100% normal of the game to do this, Having played the game on Xbox versions, and 5/6 diffrent machines, varying from Low Spec cheap PCs to, laptops to now my current machine, with the same graphics card.
It's just always looked like that.

Other issues, which i've had over the years, involve bad graphical bugs with characters hair, and outfits. (Dancer+Lilisette all the time has this issue, but i's also occasionally seen it with Arcelia's dagger, Robes of Karuha-Baruha (only from a far distance tough).
This is a refrence to the bad clipping thing.
etc. it's just 100% normal XD
 Bahamut.Malothar
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Malithar
By Bahamut.Malothar 2015-06-14 09:11:53
Link | Citer | R

Sylph.Shadowlina said: »
It's just always looked like that.

Almost. It used to have a much more subtle, jagless, even prettier glow. Though it caused lag in congested areas, so they changed the look of it in a patch to what we have now. I can't remember a date or anything, but I wanna say it was pre or early ToAU.

As for a fix, there's only one thing you can do. .dat swap out the avatar files. A couple of Google searches and searches on FFXIAH pulled up sites with these files hosted, but many of the posts I'm seeing are from 5+ years ago. Case in point, the links may not be alive.
[+]
VIP
By Iryoku 2015-06-14 12:09:35
Link | Citer | R

It's looked like this as long as I've been playing (Pre-CoP).
 Asura.Vafruvant
user: Vafruvant
By Asura.Vafruvant 2015-06-14 13:25:21
Link | Citer | R

Morcheeba said: »
Hi all,

Just started playing again, and I cant help but to be bothered by this graphic issues I'm having... wonder if anyone has the same issue? Anything that is glowing (Magian Moogles, Maws, Avatars, NPCs, etc.) has this crazy stairstepped border surrounding it... I have a GTX 970. Everything else in the game looks beautiful.

Some things I have tried:

1. Adjusted MIP Mapping (0~6)
2. Adjusted Nvidia card settings to the moon and back (app specific; no dice)
3. Adjusted background resolution 50 different ways
4. Rolled back drivers, updated drivers
5. Tried bordered window, windowless, and full screen
etc.

I've tried everything I can to fix it, but I don't ever remember having this issue with my AMD card back in the day and its the same rig (just updated the card). Any thoughts or suggestions? Pic below:

This has happened to me a few times, but I've never been able to replicate it voluntarily. It most often has happened to me with the Magian Moogles. If you play with the ambient light turned off, you can try turning that on, though it then makes other aspects of the game nearly unbearable.
 Asura.Morcheeba
user: Morcheeba
By Asura.Morcheeba 2015-06-14 13:26:38
Link | Citer | R

This is the way glows have always looked? I remember things being much more smooth, and it was very much after ToAU and even WoTG. It's like a thick layer of pixels around anything glowing, and when it moves it looks much more terrible than the picture.
 Asura.Vafruvant
user: Vafruvant
By Asura.Vafruvant 2015-06-15 04:43:34
Link | Citer | R

Asura.Morcheeba said: »
This is the way glows have always looked? I remember things being much more smooth, and it was very much after ToAU and even WoTG. It's like a thick layer of pixels around anything glowing, and when it moves it looks much more terrible than the picture.
I know exactly what you mean. It's quite obnoxious and it seems like no matter what you do, it won't go away. I wish I had more help for you, ambient light always took care of it in the moment and it fixed itself later.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [156 days between previous and next post]
By Icydeath 2015-11-17 23:19:54
Link | Citer | R

Yeah... so this thread is pretty old but I didn't see a solution in the posts...

I had the same issue and what I did was swap out the avatar dats with some dats i found.

If anyone has the same issue with avatars glowing acting wonky and you wanted to swap the dats out. Here are the dats that I used

BACK-UP YOUR ORIGINAL DATS FIRST