Destiny (PS4) Drama - 11 Year Old Gets Trolled.

Langues: JP EN DE FR
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Destiny (PS4) Drama - 11 year old gets trolled.
Destiny (PS4) Drama - 11 year old gets trolled.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Ragnarok.Zeig
Serveur: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-02-21 20:11:05
Link | Citer | R

Kalila said: »
Share Play is like an interactive Twitch. You are only streaming the video/audio to a user. There is a PS+ feature where you can "take the controller", but you are simply sending your controller inputs to their system. You are still only seeing their "stream", you have no access to their system.
Do you think Sony can do something to prevent future incidents like this? Can they restrict access to gamedata or other sensitive data to inputs originating from the device's controller somehow?

Which leads me to think of this: is it possible to access other people's Home menu, Settings, etc, using SharePlay?
 Ragnarok.Exavion
user: Aladriel
By Ragnarok.Exavion 2015-02-21 20:11:33
Link | Citer | R

Quote:
I can't remember for the life of me what that memory card was called, but I know exactly what you are talking about. Mine was green, see-through, had two black tiny buttons. Had like A B C slots and 1-10 slots in each? *** that memory card, deleted my data so many times, I broke it to pieces.

Yes!!! That one! Mine was blue and see-through. I thought it was the coolest ***at first. I always thought I did something to it or maybe I had too much memory stored and it would delete. Eventually only C-8 or something worked. The most evil troll device a gamer could have.
[+]
By LakshmiArtemas 2015-02-21 20:13:41
Link | Citer | R

[+]
 Fenrir.Camiie
Serveur: Fenrir
user: Camiie
By Fenrir.Camiie 2015-02-21 20:14:20
Link | Citer | R

Even though I'm in my 30's I still can remember what it was to be a child... some of you here must have been born "adults" or suffer from serious amnesia.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2015-02-21 20:19:27
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Exavion said: »
Yes!!! That one! Mine was blue and see-through. I thought it was the coolest ***at first. I always thought I did something to it or maybe I had too much memory stored and it would delete. Eventually only C-8 or something worked. The most evil troll device a gamer could have.
I had a similar memory card as well, except it had 8 "pages", and each page had 15 saving blocks, so basically an 8-in-1!

At some point, it stopped switching pages and I had to remain on page 1 for it to work. One day, I was playing Legend of Dragoon when it decided to switch to page 2 on its own. Tried going back to page 1..and my data were gone! Somehow, some of my LoD saves were copied to the 2nd page, but the up-to-date save was not among them. So at least I didn't lose all of my progress (or so I thought).
A couple days later it decided to bring my page 1 saves back from the dead.

After that, I learned to only buy original accessories.
[+]
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-21 20:24:29
Link | Citer | R

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
Share Play is like an interactive Twitch. You are only streaming the video/audio to a user. There is a PS+ feature where you can "take the controller", but you are simply sending your controller inputs to their system. You are still only seeing their "stream", you have no access to their system.
Do you think Sony can do something to prevent future incidents like this? Can they restrict access to gamedata or other sensitive data to inputs originating from the device's controller somehow?

Which leads me to think of this: is it possible to access other people's Home menu, Settings, etc, using SharePlay?
Share Play is limited to the game screen ONLY. If you open your PSN menu the viewer will get a blue screen saying that they navigated away from the game and the feed was cut off, and will resume when they enter back in the game. Also, game developers have access to the software so they can block the screen during any moment in a game that they set. For example, say you are playing some online game where you need to input your username and password while in the game. The game developers would most likely set this screen to private so it wouldn't stream during Share Play, so viewers can't see anything that is happening until access is granted to stream again.

It really is best to think of it as Twitch, just a Sony Twitch that you can send your inputs over. If you are at all familiar with TwitchPlaysPokemon you'll know that viewers typed in their input, for example "up", and then the parser read the chat, recording the user name and the input and then sent it to the game. The game then executed that input.

This is on a much smaller scale that is only between two systems, or however many people are watching your shareplay. Only one user can control a controller at any time, and I really think the only thing that is "sent" to the other console is simple a text command like the word "up".

Also, to be clear, the main host has to "give" access to the viewer to "take the controller". You can't just join a Share Play and start messing with people, it is a permission given to you by the host. It also requires a PS+ subscription but that's besides the point.

It really is a safe system, but if you give your controller to someone that you don't trust, or shouldn't trust, and then walk away and they know you aren't' there, they really can do anything they want within the game. Drop items, delete characters, as long as it doesn't involve a private screen, they have free access.

So I might of just answered it, Bungie could set the character select screen to private, or at least when you access "delete character", or "drop item", although drop item might be a bit too spammy and would defeat the purpose of taking the controller if the main user had to confirm to drop an item every single time.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Orlind
user: Orlind
By Ragnarok.Orlind 2015-02-21 20:28:35
Link | Citer | R

Damn, did everyone have that PS1 memory card with the books and pages? I used to love separating my saves by genre types (fighting, racing, puzzle, etc) and after a while, it would stay stuck to a specific page every couple of days. I would plug it in and "Hey! It's RPG day on the card! Time to play Front Mission 3!".

Good times, good times...
By Fyyvoaa 2015-02-21 20:53:03
Link | Citer | R

My friend did show me this the other day and ... I dunno.

I feel bad for the kid, but on the other hand I kind of feel he deserved it for trying to actively cheat (even if it is on a cruddy game...)

The guy who did it is a ***, no doubt about that... but it could have been worse.
By Buzzwords 2015-02-21 21:04:27
Link | Citer | R

i was under the impression that shareplay was not THAT adaptable. limited more to a developer simply "opting out" or not. (or at least, that was the impression i got the only time i ever looked INTO it, back when activision decided to block shareplay on CoD completely. it fit nicely into the activision = *** narrative i run in my own head.)

either way it seems like a lot of trouble for what minor benefit you can glean.

from the players perspective it lets you test drive certain games your friends own and you don't, if they're willing to sit idle while you borrow the console. then for destiny specifically; the first time a member of my clan got a vex mythoclast i got to shoot it a little (back then it was still a novel drop)

then from the sharers perspective it... maybe gets you help with a difficult boss? or you get to be charitable? or you get completely *** over?

it just doesn't seem worth THIS sort of thing happening.

plus that clanmate in particular doesn't play inverted, so i couldn't even enjoy it! (i don't go into other peoples menus. i think most of us jaded bitter adults were aware of the potential for abuse and make a point to give it a wide berth, even without hearing any story like this first.)

sucks for the kid, guy is a douche, but kid will live and there IS something to the sentiment of "he learned a hard lesson, relatively cheaply" not gonna call the kid dumb, not gonna say he deserved it, but he got it out of the way. learning that people (particularly the internet) are *** is like getting the chicken pox. it's gonna happen, but it's a lot worse for some people than others. i wouldn't even be surprised if bungie hooks the kid up. they did it before. (fate of all fools)
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-21 21:09:03
Link | Citer | R

If you play Dragon Age, when the game is starting up you see a message saying "Share Play disabled" for about 5-10 seconds, then re-enabled after you connect to the server.

It's an option developers have control over, if they wish to. At least the company that made DA did.

Also, Share Play is for people who want to privately stream to friends, or are having a hard time at a certain point in the game and they need help. You can play an entire game you down own if you wish, but the host has to re-enable you every hour.

Also, it's not perfect. It really is a stream, and if the host or your ping / upload / download / however the internet works - is too slow, then the lag is unplayable. Picking up the controller works best in the same household, or maybe a neighbor or friends house, not hundreds or thousands of miles away. At that point, input lag is just too much to be playable.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Serveur: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-02-21 21:25:55
Link | Citer | R

Unless it's a turn based game
[+]
By Buzzwords 2015-02-21 21:28:01
Link | Citer | R

well, i stand corrected. it's not something i use much.

though my opinions remain pretty much the same... shareplay feels like a rather superfluous feature that adds little benefit and a lot of risk for abuse. (though, admittedly, less risk than i originally had thought if the dev is aware of it.)
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-21 21:48:53
Link | Citer | R

It's only a risk if you give control to someone you don't even know. That is what Sony's stance is going to be on it if they have to say anything about the risks of shareplay, and honestly that is what we as consumers should too. You wouldn't give your login information to someone you didn't know, the same goes for giving your controller to someone you don't trust. Especially if you just walk away letting them play for you without your supervision.

It has zero risk if you are just responsible.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
Serveur: Valefor
user: Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-02-21 22:41:56
Link | Citer | R

He shoulda been playing outside anyways. When I was 11 we all played outside riding bikes etc.
[+]
 Fenrir.Acey
Serveur: Fenrir
user: abyssal
By Fenrir.Acey 2015-02-21 22:47:02
Link | Citer | R

Tl;dr but since when is share play a thing? I'm a Microsoft person myself why I asked. But wow share play is just something that is asking for people to get scammed
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-21 22:47:20
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Endoq said: »
He shoulda been playing outside anyways. When I was 11 we all played outside riding bikes etc.
It's 29 degrees outside :< I love the cold but you can only "play" outside for so long during the winter.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-21 22:51:55
Link | Citer | R

Fenrir.Acey said: »
Tl;dr but since when is share play a thing? I'm a Microsoft person myself why I asked. But wow share play is just something that is asking for people to get scammed
1. You as a host have to GIVE permission for someone to "take the controller"
2. Share Play only streams video and audio, and can only receive controller inputs. It's a twitch plays pokemon with console games.
3. You can only stream your game screen, anything other than the game the video and audio feed cuts off, and will resume once you go back to the game.
4. Game developers have tools to cut share play feed on sensitive information screens, to protect privacy.
5. You only get scammed if you give your controller to someone you don't know or trust. You wouldn't give your login information to an MMO to someone you don't know, why would you give your controller? If you do, and you're watching them, and they start to something they said they wasn't going to do, taking the controller back is as easy as pressing a single button.

Being a responsible person will never get you "scammed", just like never giving out your username and password will never get your account stolen.
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-02-21 23:28:55
Link | Citer | R

Valefor.Endoq said: »
It's 29 degrees outside :< I love the cold but you can only "play" outside for so long during the winter.
When I was 11 we would read books and do homework when the weather was bad. There was no internet and vidya gaems sucked.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-02-21 23:34:17
Link | Citer | R

Sucks for you
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-02-21 23:37:27
Link | Citer | R

Bismarck.Dracondria said: »
Sucks for you
Actually it didn't suck at all, my childhood was fun.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-02-21 23:42:17
Link | Citer | R

I've been playing video games for 24 years. I don't recall a time when they sucked.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2015-02-21 23:44:18
Link | Citer | R

He probably played those Bible games

YouTube Video Placeholder

[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
Serveur: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-02-21 23:45:06
Link | Citer | R

Bahamut.Ravael said: »
I've been playing video games for 24 years. I don't recall a time when they sucked.

Eh, there were plenty of crappy ones, and in retrospect, a lot of the stuff we played was so mired in hardware limitations it's terribad by today's standards.

Heck, even the turned-based games we all seem to love were a product of 8-bit hardware not being able to run in active time.
VIP
By Kalila 2015-02-21 23:46:04
Link | Citer | R

I disagree, SNES games are still amazing for the hardware they used.
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-02-21 23:47:14
Link | Citer | R

Atari2600 had a ton of crapy games because copyright laws for games were different back then so anyone could make a game for the console without approval from Atari.
 Bahamut.Ravael
Serveur: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-02-21 23:50:22
Link | Citer | R

Odin.Jassik said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »

Eh, there were plenty of crappy ones, and in retrospect, a lot of the stuff we played was so mired in hardware limitations it's terribad by today's standards.

Heck, even the turned-based games we all seem to love were a product of 8-bit hardware not being able to run in active time.

Oh there were definitely a lot of crappy games, but that hasn't changed any. There were always enough good ones around to fill the time, though
[+]
 Valefor.Endoq
By Valefor.Endoq 2015-02-21 23:57:07
Link | Citer | R

Verda said: »
To be fair, Atari games were so bad and so numerously bad that they almost ruined the console industry for good. Only after Nintendo came out and only let games with their chip be licensed or sold or even work, and act as quality control for the industry both by raising the price to get in and by not licensing bad games did the industry take off again. And I think SNES games like Final Fantasy VI and Valkyrie Profile kick the butt of a lot of modern games.
Exactly my point. And even the good Atari games were good for a few hours for multi player, and even that is a stretch.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7